Thanksgiving Weekend/Father and Son Trip

Author
steely34
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1280
  • Reward points: 0
2008/12/02 19:05:18 (permalink)

Thanksgiving Weekend/Father and Son Trip

Just thought I'd post a few pictures of the great time I had with my son over the past few days. It was his first time up at Erie chasing steel and what a time we had. From Friday till today (Tuesday) we fished in heavy snow, rain, flurries, and clear beautiful weather. We had it all and what a time we had. I love this place and most of all I loved sharing it with my son. And best of all he caught his first Steelie! To all the fathers out there - you just gotta share it with your son! With work and college now it's been a while since he and I have had this time together and we cherished it. Some of you may have seen us on the stream having a great time. It was somewhat of a learning curve for him but he hung in there, had many hookups and when I netted his first - well you can just imagine.

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

10 Replies Related Threads

elephanthead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1057
    RE: Thanksgiving Weekend/Father and Son Trip 2008/12/02 19:11:25 (permalink)
    Tom, that next to last pic, blow it up, get a good frame, and put it on the mantle where all can see......Good deal......Dave
    wvsteelrdie
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 77
    RE: Thanksgiving Weekend/Father and Son Trip 2008/12/02 19:11:50 (permalink)
    Nice pics! Nice BRIGHT fly box. Good fish. We all fish different techniques, keep catchin'.
    deetz4352
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3549
    RE: Thanksgiving Weekend/Father and Son Trip 2008/12/02 19:39:44 (permalink)
    Steely34 , Thats fantastic stuff right there. Glad you had a great trip up. Hope you 2 can keep an annual trip planned for the future. Keep the fishing bond strong. Once again nice pics,nice fish,father and son bonding, thats what its all about right there.

The Deetz
    Fishermen are born honest,but they get over it
    fishmonger
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 435
    RE: Thanksgiving Weekend/Father and Son Trip 2008/12/02 19:55:44 (permalink)
    I was up Monday and Tuesday before Thanksgiving with my youngest son. He is a senior at Penn State, and also doesn't get a lot of time to come up along with me. We had a great time. My oldest son will be in from Washington state in mid-December, and we are planning a trip or two while he is in. I lost my dad in August, and I miss him terribly. Take your kids fishing! You might not be here next time to do it. Super nice pictures! Good job to your son! 

Fishmonger
    deetz4352
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3549
    RE: Thanksgiving Weekend/Father and Son Trip 2008/12/02 20:06:28 (permalink)
    monger so sorry for your loss but you know hes lookin down on you yellin FISH ON !!! when you hook em. My uncle Ray was my best fishin buddy when he was alive. He always had time to take me fishin when i was younger and to this day i know he is still watchin me catch fish. He taught me lots about how to go fishin for many different species of fish. I will always remember the good times on the water with him.

The Deetz
    Fishermen are born honest,but they get over it
    steely34
    Pro Angler
    RE: Thanksgiving Weekend/Father and Son Trip 2008/12/02 21:19:22 (permalink)
    Dave, That's on my list of things to do tomorrow right after I get the pictures developed so I can proudly show them off to friends and family. Thanks buddy.

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

JEB
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2248
    RE: Thanksgiving Weekend/Father and Son Trip 2008/12/03 11:19:08 (permalink)
    Yeah, the pic of you and him holding steel is awesome. Self Timer or did someone else take it ? Great pic.
    elephanthead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1057
    RE: Thanksgiving Weekend/Father and Son Trip 2008/12/03 11:46:32 (permalink)
    Tom, when you think about it,when all else is gone, family is what it's about. Hope you have more outings like this one - enough to fill every mantle in the house and then some.........Dave
    steely34
    Pro Angler
    RE: Thanksgiving Weekend/Father and Son Trip 2008/12/03 15:38:51 (permalink)
    Jeb, I had another guy who happened by take the picture. The other one was a self timer. I made a mound of snow and seated the camera on it. Worked pretty good but it took two shots - I tripped running back to pose for the pic!

John Gierach

McFishin
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 199
    RE: Thanksgiving Weekend/Father and Son Trip 2008/12/03 16:12:54 (permalink)
    great pics!...looks like you guys enjoyed yourselves thoroughly!...i agree with elephanthead, from the next to last.
    Jump to: