Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Loopy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1437
  • Reward points: 0
2008/11/14 19:49:19 (permalink)

Serious question

If you owned a section, or access to, a popular steelie stream, how much would you or wouldn't you tolerate other fishermen using or misusing the land; therefore causing you to shut it down. 

<---  The Holy Trinity

47 Replies Related Threads

Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    RE: Serious question 2008/11/14 19:56:57 (permalink)
    Sad but true: The trash alone would prompt me to post.

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Serious question 2008/11/14 20:01:37 (permalink)
    On Erie tribs in PA, I'd post it as "Fishing with written permission only" right off the bat.  Because I know it would only be a matter of time before some idiots come in there and ruin it for everybody.  I might have a different approach if it were a stream that I knew had a lot less pressure day to day.

I guess I should state the reasoning behind my answer before any bashing persists.  First off, I'd like to meet the people who are on my property and know who they are and when they are on the property.  I have three children and I feel it best for their safety and protection.  Finally, I would do this because I too am a fisherman and would like to fish on my own property without having it look like Trout Run and have to fight for a spot in my own back yard.
    post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2008/11/14 20:21:32

cooljauman
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1633
    RE: Serious question 2008/11/14 21:06:07 (permalink)
    I would close it to all anglers but MackJ

If the world needed and enema, they'd put the tube in Philadelphia. Go Pens!

Evgeni Malkin: I'M SCORE

S.D.S.G.F.C.
    krott243
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 954
    RE: Serious question 2008/11/14 23:45:05 (permalink)
    I would open it to anyone and everyone.  Then I would dress in full camo and sit in a tree stand with some binocs, looking for who is littering, then I would lay into them.

The Lord has blessed us all today... It's just that he has been particularly good to me.
    D.A.M.
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 7
    RE: Serious question 2008/11/14 23:58:28 (permalink)
    I would post it as " Fishing Permitted if Area Remains Clean"
    I don't know how many times I've cleaned an area on my
    own, by burning the trash and bagging the beer cans & bottles.
    Doesn't take long, especially if you're getting skunked for
    the day.
    bluehalo
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 97
    RE: Serious question 2008/11/15 05:49:26 (permalink)
    I would post it "Flyfishing only". Regs areas are far cleaner than open water around the state.
    But at the same time, with the easement money the PFBC is giving to some of these landowners, maybe I wouldnt mind going down by the creek for some litter patrol.
    FlashDance
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 968
    RE: Serious question 2008/11/15 07:03:05 (permalink)
    My land would remain open and I'd deal with cleaning the trash.

Currently don't own land along a stream, but I do maintain an area along the river.
    What I can tell you is this, as much trash blows in the wind or drifts down the stream
    as is left behind by the people who use the area. Because you post an area doesn't
    mean that it will be trash free.
    mgolf92
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 378
    RE: Serious question 2008/11/15 08:24:35 (permalink)
    Start off open to all, if there become problems, then I go with "fishing only with permission" like shutupnfish said.  I think that way best accomplishes the goal of keeping the land clean without saying "flyfishing only" or posting it to all.
    MackJ
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 522
    RE: Serious question 2008/11/15 08:30:37 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: cooljauman

I would close it to all anglers but MackJ

Thank you.  And I, for my part, would treat it with the same respect that I treat the stop sign hole.
    JDRCAR424
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 80
    RE: Serious question 2008/11/15 09:01:20 (permalink)
    I would make it open to fathers and there kids only fish. 12 and under. I have taken my kid to places on Elk and people have no respect at all ..They are dropping F bombs and talking about things my 9 year old does not need to hear. Its rediculous.

steelheadman28
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 393
    RE: Serious question 2008/11/15 09:36:00 (permalink)
    I would post the land and if someone asked, I would tell them to leave. That way I could catch my fish in peace without having to worry about litter or fish being spooked or caught. Sorry to be so selfish but I love to catch fish without anyone there or fishing pressure.
    carcus1211
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 457
    RE: Serious question 2008/11/15 09:48:42 (permalink)
    this question came up with 2 of my boss'.  They both own property on upper Walnut way past Old Sterritania.  They live in the housing development and it is posted.  I have talked to them about fishing there since BassAckwards and I fished there last year and didn't realize it was posted.  Most of the houses in the dev. don't like ppl fishing b/c of the trash some of us leave behind, but in they will give permission to those they know.  I have been granted permission to fish there and anyone that is with me.  But if it was my land, I would have to agree with the most of you, leave it open to start and if things got bad, just shut it down to permission only.  But first, I would build a little shelter with a heater and snacks/coffee for us that fish throughout the winter and make sure my fellow fishermen/women would be feed and kept warm...lol

LoveGlove United
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    RE: Serious question 2008/11/15 11:27:49 (permalink)
    Unless you're prepared to "baby sit" the property, those signs will only keep the people out that you wouldn't mind having.

That being said, I don't own any property with any creeks running through but I do post some of my property, some is left open. Mainly just because of lack of respect. Tired of loud atv's and motorcycles tearing the field and woods up and really don't like someone trying to throw me off of my own ground. If you don't know, ask. If you don't ask, stay off.

A little respect goes a long way.
    bigfoot
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2523
    RE: Serious question 2008/11/15 11:33:25 (permalink)
    First and foremost I wish I was fortunate enough to OWN a piece of property along a stream that had fish in it, let alone steelhead. Don't really know for sure how I would go about keeping people from either fishing it, or keeping them out. On one hand I would enjoy seeing people use the resource to catch fish and have fun, but on the other hand I know that sooner or later the jerks of the world would show up and for whatever reason would probably convince me to post the property, "Fishing only by permission of the owner." Sad fact of life that the misdeeds of a few in more cases than enough ruin it for all.
    genieman77
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2534
    RE: Serious question 2008/11/15 17:10:50 (permalink)
    honestly, it would depend how close my home was from the creek AND how popular that spot was.

If I owned a fair amount of land and the creek ran through the "back forty" I wouldn't close it.

if it ran a short distance from my home/back yard, It would depend how much traffic it  got.

It's not just the slobs, the shear volume of anglers day and night  and lack of privacy would give me pause for concern.
    If there were  trees, shrubs, thick growth , steep hill, or some kind of "buffer zone" like that I'd less inclined to post even if my house was only 300ft from the creek.

But if it was literally in my back yard, not sure what I'd do.
    It would depend whether I was fortunate enough (or UNfortunate depending on perspective) to have a major fish holding section or not

..L.T.A.
    go-n-fishn
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 225
    RE: Serious question 2008/11/15 19:30:51 (permalink)
    I've seen more and more signs saying end of public fishing. Fish with land owners permission only . Please do not trespass. Not being from the area how do you find out who the land owner is. I am assuming which you should never do, that if you ask permission and the land owner wants to they will let you fish on their property. 

There will be days when fishing is better than ones optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home.
    **Roderick Haig-Brown
    accordbw
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 374
    RE: Serious question 2008/11/15 21:40:39 (permalink)
    Some of my best memories were when my dad would take me to juniata fishing back a dirt road with cabins. Back then no  one cared we went there to fish. As I got older they asked us to leave ,when we asked did we do something wrong and simply put a lot of others left trash behind so I can see there point. So many spots ruined like this and I would love to go fish some of those old spots again.
    brown trout
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 129
    RE: Serious question 2008/11/16 23:37:23 (permalink)
    That's a good question, Loopy. I would probably post it that you can fish with written permission only. That way you can sort of screen who will be fishing, and hopefully weed out most of the bad eggs. And of course, it would be nice to know you can always get to fish there yourself and not have to fight any real big crowds.
    dakotab
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 358
    RE: Serious question 2008/11/17 09:01:44 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: JDRCAR424

I would make it open to fathers and there kids only fish. 12 and under. I have taken my kid to places on Elk and people have no respect at all ..They are dropping F bombs and talking about things my 9 year old does not need to hear. Its rediculous.

That's a good idea.  Never thought about that one.
    Roy D. Mercer
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 141
    RE: Serious question 2008/11/17 09:17:17 (permalink)
    I say post the sucker, then allow with written permission only. I would want to know who was on my property and when.   
    tippecanoe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1451
    RE: Serious question 2008/11/17 10:17:12 (permalink)
    Too many factors to consider.  How much of the creekbed would I own?  Less than 300'?  Posted.  More, with nice holes not in the yard?  Well I would make a small parking area, and make it a kids/adult with kids area by permission only.  I agree strongly about the kids and adult talk/actions on the public water, it is pretty rank.  Maybe make a little place for people to grill and a trash can for people to throw stuff away in.  I'd have to hit the lotto to do any of this, so it's just an opinion.
    Big Fathead
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: Serious question 2008/11/17 10:17:55 (permalink)
    I own 2000' of the North branch of Slippery Rock creek which is a stocked trout stream and my property is posted, BUT I had the fish commission post it for approved trout waters and I remove the signs for fisherman. The only reason the property is posted is due to 2 seperate incidents where hunters highly upset me! first incident: I was in a tree and a young kid was in a tree on a climber archery hunting when I alerted 2 bird hunters with a dog we were there so they didn't shoot our way and I was told **** you! As I told them they were on my property and I started climbing down the tree they left quickly! I then posted the property (that was 6 years ago). The signs were removed for trout season and never put back up until this year when a duck hunter decided to hunt (again without permission) on the first day of duck season and take 5 shots at ducks 125 yards from my cabin (which I had men staining outside) and 75 yards from my uncles cabin. When I confronted him he stated he was sorry and didn't know there were cabins there! My blood was boiling when he said that. I did call the Game Commission and the guy had the nerve to ask me if he could continue hunting! What a freakin moron. My property is now posted every 30 feet. I WILL HAVE SIGNS MADE FOR TROUT SEASON THAT SAY "FISHERMAN WELCOME, PLEASE RESPECT MY PROPERTY, PLEASE DON'T LITTER, PLEASE ENJOY YOURSELF AND GOOD LUCK"
    JEB
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2248
    RE: Serious question 2008/11/17 11:23:34 (permalink)
    We all complain when land get posted, but it is the few that ruin it for everyone. No matter how well you policed the area or what kind of permission you allowed, you will always have problems. It seems you either have to put up with it or shut it down completely.
    Can you blame the lady @ 20Mile ? Wasn't some guy taking a duece in her yard ? That alone would cause me to not allow people on my property. Stream clean ups & landowner appreciation fruit baskets are great, but you still will have idiots that just don't care. You see it everywhere, on stocked streams, in the National forest, on game lands etc... What they need to do is increase & ENFORCE the littering fines. $1,000 right off the bat, 2nd offense one night in lock up ! That would help end it. 
    JEB
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2248
    RE: Serious question 2008/11/17 11:25:53 (permalink)
    quote:

ORIGINAL: JDRCAR424

JEB is asking !
    What about the fisherMOMS out there, there are some of them too !
    My wife fishes too.

I agree with you the language on the stream is out of hand sometimes, I catch myself swearing too much all the time. But if there is a child around, I will act more responsible and watch what I say.
    post edited by JEB - 2008/11/17 11:30:35
    walcat01
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 391
    RE: Serious question 2008/11/17 11:31:34 (permalink)
    I agree, but it's not only there it's everywhere. I've had a few battles when I took my kids fishing in different places for different species even out on the lake.It's sad.Must use that in front of their kids at home.
    Catching Chrome
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 177
    RE: Serious question 2008/11/17 12:39:48 (permalink)
    I would post and limit the number of people by permit only, to which I would sell for $50 a head like the DSR in New York. Why not make a buck like so many do. Of course I would let fellow fisherie members fish....It would also be C&R as well.
    TB
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 247
    RE: Serious question 2008/11/17 12:53:18 (permalink)
    CC - why C&R?  It is a put and take fishery.  We are supposed to keep our 3/day....
    joebaker79
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 805
    RE: Serious question 2008/11/17 13:16:03 (permalink)
    Interesting how many would post their property yet they are among a group of all of us who beg for more public land and support the PFBC working with landowners to keep their property open to fishing. 

No pot and kettle reference even needed.   Whoops. 

And interesting how many on this site point fingers at everyone else as being the problem.  Please join me in admitting that we are all part of the problem.  In some way, some form.  For all the saints who claim to take bags of trash out I have seen exactly 0 fishermen in 8 years with a bag of trash.  Not saying it doesn't happen and there are organized cleanings and threads, just saying I see a lot of blaming on this site about everyone else on the streams.  Kind of like that old Family Circus cartoon where the dad questions all three kids about an incident and gets the same answer "Not me."  Then there is an outline of a ghost figure behind all of the kids named "Not Me."  Just because you sign up for a fishing site about the area where you fish does not exempt you from being what so many on here gripe about.  Again there is a lot of pot and kettle bs on here. 

As for any additional regs being enforced does anyone have any idea as to the legality of that?  Specifically c and r and any additional creel regs. 

For the last time if you think that fly fishermen as a whole are cleaner or somehow more of whatever you think they are you clearly have not fished Erie as often as you should.  No one group is better or worse, it is all about the individual.  Take a look at your local****s, Wal'mart, or Gander Mt.  A basic starter fishing rod and rell will go about the same as a starter fly rod/reel.  You can go just as cheap on any of the equipment.  Economic class status has nothing to do with fishing behavior, just pointing out that anyone can pick up any setup these days and start fishing. There is no certification or graduation to a fly rod that ensures one will not litter, not snag, not be an a-hole, spot stealer, etc, etc. 

Given the choice of betting on a flyrodder walking upstream on Walnut to litter less than a guy on the wall on a bucket with an ugly stick I'll take the guy on the wall as most likely to throw his sh-- away.  Not all of them do but at least their are cans near the access.  No garbage cans upstream means more oppurtunities to "drop" something completely out of view. 

D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    RE: Serious question 2008/11/17 13:36:18 (permalink)
    Loopy,  trouble on the property already?

I imagine living on one of the tribs that it would/could be maddening at times.

I would not post, unless some extreme event happened.  I would put signs up letting people know that they need to be courteous if they wish to fish there.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: