whats the law?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
fishbreath
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 115
  • Reward points: 0
RE: whats the law? 2008/11/15 12:54:32 (permalink)
Personally, I think you ought to continue pushing the trespassing issue as far as you want until the judge explains it to you. Which , in reading this thread, doesn't seem much farther.
P.S. You best hope I'm not on the jury.
D-MAC
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 314
RE: whats the law? 2008/11/15 17:27:35 (permalink)
mikeg,

When i used to fish the lake at 16 mile it was a little like your fishing in Texas, to the west of the beach area is or was a boat club with no trespassing signs, so I would wade out legal and cast as far west as i could there must have been a deep hole that held the steelhead better than most places, did real well and was legal doing it. I would have liked to have gone down west further but for a fish that i don't keep didn't seem worth the hassle, now if it were perch or crappie...maybe......ahahah.....
spoonchucker
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8561
RE: whats the law? 2008/11/15 17:33:12 (permalink)
D-MAC,

I agree, why create/deal with a hassle, BUT if you stay in the water you can walk the entire perimeter of lake Erie. Legally, not pratically though. The lake IS navigable waters by all definitions.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
FiveMilePete
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1131
RE: whats the law? 2008/11/15 18:01:22 (permalink)
Are you saying someone posted the lake?  I find this very hard to believe.
D-MAC
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 314
RE: whats the law? 2008/11/15 18:58:37 (permalink)
They had a pier of sorts out into the water it would be over your head to go around it in the lake not sure how it is now haven't been out there in a few years to fish.
genieman77
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2534
RE: whats the law? 2008/11/15 19:14:18 (permalink)
I mentioned this on the other thread and will mention it here

In Ohio, even on Navigable rivers, you can NOT wade in the creek on property where you're not welcome

Please be aware that Pa's laws are very different than Ohio's as far wadding the creeks/rivers  defined as navigable.

You can NOT legally wade navigable rivers in Ohio if the land owner says "keep out"

this has been a public service announcement for those that think they know what their rights are...ain't right

...L.T.A.
FiveMilePete
Pro Angler
RE: whats the law? 2008/11/16 00:33:05 (permalink)
Ahhhh, I see. My guess is that they could not legally block access to the lake shore, pier or not, but it doesn't seem worth the bother to push it.
casts_by_fly
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 671
RE: whats the law? 2008/11/16 05:38:32 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: spoonchucker

D-MAC,

I agree, why create/deal with a hassle, BUT if you stay in the water you can walk the entire perimeter of lake Erie. Legally, not pratically though. The lake IS navigable waters by all definitions.

spoon,

You just have to be mindful of the full regs around lake erie. It is navigable 100%. However the high water mark and the low water mark are defined by elevation points. The elevation points were defined at some point in the past and at some points the elevation lines are both completely buried by water and some are entirely out of the water. The ordinary high water level is 573.4'. Above that point navigability and public trust don't apply.

Realistically though, if you're walking the shoreline fishing and staying at the waters edge there shouldn't be a problem.

You would have a problem walking across Niagara falls though.. ;o)

Thanks
Rick
MackJ
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 522
RE: whats the law? 2008/11/16 07:32:34 (permalink)
It is my understanding that the doctrine of public trust is a federal common law concept and does not vary from state to state.  I don't believe Ohio is free to interpret the doctrine less generously than any other state. 
genieman77
Pro Angler
RE: whats the law? 2008/11/16 08:22:45 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: MackJ

It is my understanding that the doctrine of public trust is a federal common law concept and does not vary from state to state.  I don't believe Ohio is free to interpret the doctrine less generously than any other state. 

true, it's a Federal law.
It dates to early 1800s

however, if you read the law, there is no provision for "recreational" use.
It's clearly geared (and worded)  to accommodate commerce and transportation/right of way passage.
Not to have a picnic to the high water mark on some duud's property.

I would suggest that "other" states are being more "generous" in their application of the nav laws to include recreation.
cause that's not what the law is/was about

..L.T.A.

egg sac
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 517
RE: whats the law? 2008/11/16 10:27:35 (permalink)

In a twisted sence could not one argee that using an area of stream was for commerce if they were using if to guide others?

SO MANY FISH SO LITTLE TIME.
WHY ARE ALL THE PLACES I HAVE YET 2 FISH SO FAR AWAY?
genieman77
Pro Angler
RE: whats the law? 2008/11/16 10:43:32 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: egg sac

In a twisted sence could not one argee that using an area of stream was for commerce if they were using if to guide others?

mebby so, Eggy

I nominate you to go fish on Lord Beaver's fiefdom and challenge it through the courts when you get your trespass ticket

..L.T.A.
steeliefever
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 76
RE: whats the law? 2008/11/16 10:54:20 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: kilbasi kid

sorry mikeg,first time asking question.I was told to get off someones property,even when I was in the water.I was told as long as I'm in the water,I was not tresspassing on private property.I did not or missed it in the reg book. 

if i were you...i would contact the local WCO...or put in a call to the meadevill office of the PFBC...there are good folks on these boards...but as genie mentioned in some post...might have been this one...there are a lot of olks who think they know the regs when in reality do not know their left foot from their right...go to the main source for factual information...the replies you may get on here will have you spun like a top

SI

"Policy is what the kingpins want. What the others want is juvenile delinquency."

John Updike

"If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything."

Mark Twain

carpin05
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 830
RE: whats the law? 2008/11/16 17:59:24 (permalink)
Read the God Dam book?????
bluntman
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 684
RE: whats the law? 2008/11/16 18:09:11 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: carpin05

Read the God Dam book?????

Easy there killer, want some of my Prozac
FiveMilePete
Pro Angler
RE: whats the law? 2008/11/16 18:12:13 (permalink)
That's what one guy was doing at 20 mile a couple of weeks ago. I didn't
see him get booted, so I guess it's ok.

He was standing under the bridge and casting into the fast water with a spinning rod. The posted signs are on the south side of the bridge. The water was pretty low elsewhere, so this was a great spot. I guess if he hung up, he'd have to cut his line.

carpin05
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 830
RE: whats the law? 2008/11/16 18:14:47 (permalink)
Sorry blame it on football!!!!!!

LOL LOL
southern trout
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: whats the law? 2008/11/16 18:26:00 (permalink)
WCO's want to know of any problem a fisherman has with either landowners, land owner imposters, and guides. I know a few instances over the past 2 years they have steeped in a either had leases remove and move signs. Worked with landowners to open their steam sides open, and enforced the trespass law.
I don't know how the law enforcement works in Ohio but........................from my understanding State patrols work the highways and local police every where else and one WCO per County.
Fisherman can't change the law until the laws are challenged.
Best way is to work on the legislation to get the Erie stamp moneys permanently ear marked to Erie County Lake and Tributary access. More money the more the property owners will listen. With the economic down turn a feel there will be a lot of property owners looking into some extra money. Only problem is finding witch company holds their mortgage and how it can be assigned.

scaremypsu
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 206
RE: whats the law? 2008/11/16 18:30:18 (permalink)
Did a WCO see him casting over the line, when they first posted that they were writing tickets for people who were casting up above that
FiveMilePete
Pro Angler
RE: whats the law? 2008/11/16 19:03:55 (permalink)
Well, there was a guide there with a couple clients, and he didn't say anything to the guy.

Doc, you out there?  Is this allowed?  Are you trespassing if you don't set foot on the posted property? Would it hold up if you contested it?
egg sac
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 517
RE: whats the law? 2008/11/16 20:14:51 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: genieman77

ORIGINAL: egg sac

mebby so, Eggy

I nominate you to go fish on Lord Beaver's fiefdom and challenge it through the courts when you get your trespass ticket

..L.T.A.

Not me..I do not even get an Ohio licence anymore with the twisted tresspass laws Ohio has. I do not even feel like taking a chance at getting arressted. Being an out of stater the chance of me getting permisstion slips to fish any areas in Ohio is slim to nill. And the fact thier is like almost no real public water on most of Ohios tribs (at least that I found). From everything I have been told about Ohio is even if the property is not posted you better have a signed pemmistion slip fromsaid owner or its off to jail for you..Sorry not my cup of tea..

SO MANY FISH SO LITTLE TIME.
WHY ARE ALL THE PLACES I HAVE YET 2 FISH SO FAR AWAY?
Big Fathead
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 915
RE: whats the law? 2008/11/16 22:27:12 (permalink)
You put up a fence to keep me out or to keep mother nature in, If God was here he'd tell it to your face, man your some kind of sinner, Sign, Sign everywhere a sign! What da heck man? If fisherman were better sportsman there would be alot less posted property! One person can screw it up for evryone! I would bet if some of these property owners were ask thay would allow you to fish there property. I would not enter posted property without permission, That would be RUDE, BREAKING THE LAW (Criminal trespassing), and very WRONG!
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: