Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Cold
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 7358
  • Reward points: 0
2008/11/12 14:39:00 (permalink)

Fly Rod for Steel

I'm sure this has probably been asked a million times, but I did a search and couldn't find it.

To this point, I've been using my 9'-0" 5wt. for steelhead.  When I asked other fly fishermen if this would be sufficient, I've gotten all sorts of replies ranging from, "Yeah, you'll be fine." to "You're gonna break that rod."  Having caught lots of big fish on an ultralight, I decided to give it a go.  Landed a jack and one nice male on the fly rod and both were a blast, though I can see why many of the replies were along the lines of, "It CAN be done...but you wont have many friends."  It took me a full 5-7 minutes to fight and land my first non-jack steelhead, on that 5 wt.

Thus, I'm leaning toward getting a heavier rod for steelhead (my current reel can double duty for both, so I'd rather avoid a kit).  I've gotten suggestions ranging from 6 to 10 wt.  And while I think the 10 is overkill, I dont know if a 6 is really worth the investment for something only slightly different from my 5 wt.

I'm leaning toward a 7 or 8 wt and want to hear what you guys have to say.  Also, as far as brands, I like Cortland's unconditional warranty, but I'd not be against ANY brands at this point.

Looking to keep it under $100, which limits the options.

So far, I saw a few Cortland 6/7 wt's at Poor Richards, and asked about 8 wts, which they said should be in by the weekend.  Also I saw in other places Redington Crosswaters for about $80, St. Croix Reigns for $130 on sale for $65, and FishUSA has an Okuma 8 wt. for $60 I believe. 

Any and all opinions welcome as usual.  Even if that opinion is, "You'll be fine with the 5 wt."

I'll still probably use the 5 on occasions where I find myself with alot of room, but (and I never thought I'd say this), I love the convenience of a fly rod on slightly faster water when theres people around.

58 Replies Related Threads

dru2112
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2265
    RE: Fly Rod for Steel 2008/11/12 14:55:29 (permalink)
    i've seen two 5 wts break in the past year, granted one was on a salmon but the other was on elk.
    anyway, if you're looking for a rod for erie steel, i would go with a 7 wt. 
    if you're looking to buy a rod for steel and salmon, i would go with an 8 wt.
    you said you wanted to keep it under 100, that limits your options a smidge.....i would be looking for rods from st croix or fenwick.
    simply put those two make some quality rods for the price your willing to pay, not to mention the sweet as$ warranty and customer service st croix boasts.
    off the top of my head, PR's has a few for around 110 or so...

you mentioned redington and cortland too....you probably couldn't go wrong with either of those two, i've never had an experience with one of their rods but i'm sure they're fine.
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fly Rod for Steel 2008/11/12 14:57:01 (permalink)
    Dammit, I got this in the wrong forum...I meant it for the fly tackle area.
    350Z&Steelheads
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 430
    RE: Fly Rod for Steel 2008/11/12 15:29:27 (permalink)
    Maybe a mod will move it for you.

Either way, your rod is fine if you like it.  I have a 4wt that I built and it has lasted so far and I do not fight them for long.  It all depends on the rod and the user wether it is right or wrong.

Don't get me wrong I do have heavier rods and I try to ween my self from old faithful once in a while.

If you are looking after your budget, I advice to build your own.  You can buy a blank and handle/eye kit for alot cheaper than buying a high dollar rod.  I like the "feel" of landing fish on what I built.

my 2 cents

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: Fly Rod for Steel 2008/11/12 16:45:24 (permalink)
    While a 5wt is a bit on the light side, if you have adequate room, go for it.  I have landed plenty of steel on my 10' 5wt. 

IMO a 7wt is the best all around Erie steelhead rod.  It seems to have the best compromise of having plenty of power, while still being fairly lightweight.  I also like a 10' rod to help manage line more effectively. 

Be careful when you are selecting a new rod, the actions vary from brand to brand.  For example; a 7wt mod/fast by one manufacturer may be more like a rod labeled fast 7wt from another make.  You will be further ahead to decide what weight you want and go cast some different rods.  I personally like a mod/fast rod for steel for the most part but, you may find a different action will suit you better.

dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2985
    RE: Fly Rod for Steel 2008/11/12 18:54:25 (permalink)
    I like a 7wt for steel and usually fish rods between 9 and 10 ft.
    One advantage of a 7wt over a 5 or 6 is what you can do with the line, especially when fishing heavily weighted streamers or throwing a line of split shot in fast deep runs. In other words I can roll cast a 7wt. line and a clouser farther and with more ease than I can with my 5wt.

Gone Fishing
    tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4334
    RE: Fly Rod for Steel 2008/11/12 19:00:17 (permalink)
    9' 7wt

I have the right to remain silent.....I just don't have the ability
    krott243
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 954
    RE: Fly Rod for Steel 2008/11/12 19:20:38 (permalink)
    10' 7wt overall is my choice, after owning many 9 ft rods and landing many steel on them from 5wt-8wt, I always wish I bought them in 10 ft.  I just think long is good for the creeks here in Erie, allows for a better controlled drift.  My neighbor, lifelong member of 3CU and lifelong steelheader always told me.  You can pick a berry off a bush, as long as you got a good/correct drift, you will catch fish all day.  Basically a better drift will increase hookups and longer rods tend to help with your drift.  Just my .02

The Lord has blessed us all today... It's just that he has been particularly good to me.
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fly Rod for Steel 2008/11/12 19:37:12 (permalink)
    So the 6/7s I saw...are they 6 or are they 7?  I thought that meant they were in between but then I learned that wasn't correct...would a 6/7 be just as good as a 7 for me?
    bigfoot
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2527
    RE: Fly Rod for Steel 2008/11/12 19:59:26 (permalink)
    Two of my friends who fish for steelhead use 8'6" 5 weight rods and seem to do just fine with them. I have 3 rods of the same lenght and line weight, but prefer to use a 9' 7 weight that I had built. I believe a 7 weight allows for more options in regard to what flies you throw, plus the 7 weight has a little more beef to it so you can put a little extra pressure on the fish.
    rollcaster
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1091
    RE: Fly Rod for Steel 2008/11/12 20:25:56 (permalink)

Cold, I seen you mentioned the redington crosswater series. I bought one(rod and reel combo) at Gander Mnt in a 8wt. So far I really like it. I was like you didn't want to spend alot of money because I didn't know how often I would be steel fishing. It cost me 99.00 and I have no complaints, it worked great fighting and landing the fish. It also has a one year warranty, I know its not the best warranty but a rod, reel, line,and rod sock for under a hundred is pretty good. I also like the reel it came with. This is my only fly rod with a fighting butt end and it helps to.

post edited by rollcaster - 2008/11/12 20:26:54
    mxdad66
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 751
    RE: Fly Rod for Steel 2008/11/12 20:45:09 (permalink)
    If you have any plans on salmon fishing,go with an 8wt. and in the 10' range.It might be fun to fight a steely on a 5wt. but a heavier weight rod will let you get that fish in quicker and if you release it,that much more of a chance of survival.Tip it with some 5lb. Drennon and you can set the brakes on a running fish. Just another opinion.
    anchke
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: Fly Rod for Steel 2008/11/12 20:46:11 (permalink)
    As U implied, a thrifty angler doesn't buy a #5, and a #6, and a #7 etcetc. A thriftier strategy is to skip a # and overline when necessary.

That is, buy a 9', #7 which should handle both the designated line and an #8 line when needed. Overlining has some advantages in casting and coping with wind.

Usually, in my experience, a rod double rated -- say 6/7 is actually a #6.

If you haven't already, try overlining by one line weight. The rod loads quicker and, depending on your natural stroke, you might like it better.
    fcflyguy
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 214
    RE: Fly Rod for Steel 2008/11/12 21:42:43 (permalink)
    10 ft 7 wt is great choice  a 5 wt you will stress the fish out to much
    FC

tied to throw not for show
    flirod4evr
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 208
    RE: Fly Rod for Steel 2008/11/12 21:45:26 (permalink)
    A five weight is all you need for anything. After seeing a kid land several large king salmon on a five weight I believe anything is possible. Well they do say that a 5 weight is the most veratile rod. Seriously though a 7 weight is a good choice for steelhead of any size. My cousin fished with a 7 weight all weekend in ny for kings and did just fine so it all comes down to what size and type of flies and rigs you will be throwing. If you plan on consistently throwing big, heavy, wind resistent streamers with a whole bunch of split shot then go with an 8. But your rigs are going to normally be rather light then I would go with a 7.

I'm very familiar with the terms "RUN AND GUN" and "FISH ON!"

"They're in here I can smell 'em"
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fly Rod for Steel 2008/11/12 21:50:10 (permalink)
    Overlining will only help to slow a rod's action down.  It will aid in casting shorter amounts of line, nothing else.  Also, most of the new WF lines have heavier heads on them to work better with the new craze of faster rods.

I have not once encountered a situation in Erie where I needed a 7wt to cast the flies I was using.  If anything, I use heavier streamers fishing for trout than I ever do fishing for steel.  My 5wt will cast any steelhead/trout fly that is in any of my boxes.

The reason I fish a 7wt is solely for the fighting aspect.  A 7wt will have way more backbone than a 5wt, which helps landing fish more effectively and quicker.  You can put alot more pressure on the fish using a heavier rod.  You will gain no more fighting power from overlining a rod.  When the fish are hot or you are in a crowded situation, a 7wt will be a welcomed addition to your arsenal.  In the dead of winter when they fight like wet rags a 5wt will be plenty.   
    dano
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fly Rod for Steel 2008/11/12 23:02:27 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: anchke

Overlining has some advantages in casting and coping with wind.

I disagree to a point. 
    Underlining by one weight designation will make the rod cast off the tip giving you a tighter loop.
    The thinner line diameter and tight loop will cut through the wind.
    Of course, at short distance, you may not have enough line out to load the rod.

Gone Fishing
    dano
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fly Rod for Steel 2008/11/12 23:07:22 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Cold

So the 6/7s I saw...are they 6 or are they 7 ?

It used to be that when a rod had two line designations it meant something like 6 double taper / 7 weight forward.
    Nowdays, I dunno.

Gone Fishing
    casts_by_fly
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 671
    RE: Fly Rod for Steel 2008/11/13 05:58:44 (permalink)
    Cold,

One thing not mentioned is that one manufacturer's 6 wt has the same power as another manufacturer's 8 wt.  I'll agree with most of the people here that a 7 wt is about right for Erie steel.  When you're catching jacks and fish up to 6 lb or so a 7 is a bit much (depending on the rod of course) but when you hook a double digit fish you'll appreciate having the extra power in the rod.

In this case, I think you'll be better off identifying which rods are in your price range first, then figuring out about what power rating they are.  In this case if you want to stick to ~$100, then I'd look at the St Croix Triumph, either the 907-4 or the 908-2.  They MSRP either $130 or $110, and Dan here at FishUSA has them for $10 cheaper than that.  You'll be getting a quality rod with a 5 year warranty that will handle steelhead well but also if you wanted to use it for bass or big trout stuff you can.  I think the Reign is the old version of the Triumph and would do well for you as well.  For $65 that would be my choice.

Thanks,
    Rick
    post edited by casts_by_fly - 2008/11/13 06:37:39
    casts_by_fly
    Expert Angler
    RE: Fly Rod for Steel 2008/11/13 06:35:59 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Esox_Hunter

Overlining will only help to slow a rod's action down.  It will aid in casting shorter amounts of line, nothing else.  Also, most of the new WF lines have heavier heads on them to work better with the new craze of faster rods.

I have not once encountered a situation in Erie where I needed a 7wt to cast the flies I was using.  If anything, I use heavier streamers fishing for trout than I ever do fishing for steel.  My 5wt will cast any steelhead/trout fly that is in any of my boxes.

The reason I fish a 7wt is solely for the fighting aspect.  A 7wt will have way more backbone than a 5wt, which helps landing fish more effectively and quicker.  You can put alot more pressure on the fish using a heavier rod.  You will gain no more fighting power from overlining a rod.  When the fish are hot or you are in a crowded situation, a 7wt will be a welcomed addition to your arsenal.  In the dead of winter when they fight like wet rags a 5wt will be plenty.   

Essox,

Only one point of clarification.  Overlining does NOT change the action of the rod.  The action of the rod is inherent to the design.  It is defined as the flexing pattern (where the rod bends and with how much force).  Changing the amount of force used (the weight of the line) doesn't change the action.  What it does change is the response rate of the rod.  It slows down the recovery from a flexed position.  Also, for the same length of line it will make the rod flex deeper into its action curve.  The biggest advantages to overlining are fully loading the rod with shorter amounts of line and being able to throw heavier flies while maintaining good turnover.

Thanks,
    Rick
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fly Rod for Steel 2008/11/13 11:01:58 (permalink)
    Thanks for clearing that up, I always thought overlining a rod would change the internal composition of the rod. 

Overlining a rod effectively slows down a rods action, put it anyway you like it, it all amounts to the same thing.  All the results of overlining you stated above are exactly the same results that will be acheived by using slower rod. 
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fly Rod for Steel 2008/11/13 11:14:53 (permalink)
    Thanks, Mod!

So as of now, I'm thinking 7 wt rod, mod-fast, with 8 wt. line.  I'll probably pony up for the fancy gel spun backing or whatever its called, because 7-8wt is the top end of what my reel is designed to handle, and that will limit my backing capacity.
    anchke
    Avid Angler
    RE: Fly Rod for Steel 2008/11/13 11:18:12 (permalink)
    Dano,

I cast by feel and, therefore, get along better with stick that communicates what it's doing.

I'm not claiming there's any right or wrong involved in personal preference.
    But I do encourage new fly fishers who are comfortable with the basic cast to give overlining a tryout.

For me it helps to slow down and feel the line work the rod. And overlining doesn't hinder my distance. With no wind, two back casts and a double haul, I usually end up with the end of the line in the guides. No, I don't cut off 20' of running line:-)

There is variance between rods. Due to sales and the availability of plastic, I ended up with two St. Croix 4-piecers, a #4 and a #5. The #4 works better for me with a #5. But the #5 seems best with the line designated for it.

All I'm saying is that people shouldn't necessarily believe what they read on the rod tube, experimentation may be a good thing and if something works for you, that's a step ahead.

It's even okay to admit that you don't like fast rods.

casts_by_fly
    Expert Angler
    RE: Fly Rod for Steel 2008/11/13 11:56:22 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Esox_Hunter

Thanks for clearing that up, I always thought overlining a rod would change the internal composition of the rod. 

Overlining a rod effectively slows down a rods action, put it anyway you like it, it all amounts to the same thing.  All the results of overlining you stated above are exactly the same results that will be acheived by using slower rod. 

Esox,

No, it doesn't have the same effect.  The proportion of what part of the rod is bending will have a higher porportion of bending in the bottom end of the rod for a slower actioned rod.  A faster actioned rod will primarily bend in the tip section and little of the butt will flex.  Overlining a faster actioned rod will cause it to flex deeper overall, but the proportion of bending will still be tip oriented.  A slower rod will provide more bending in the middle of the rod with less bending in the tip.  This will be true no matter how much extra line (or weight) you put on the rod.

This is the same as putting more and heavier guides on a rod to 'slow down the action'.  That doesn't happen.  You've changed the response rate of the rod.  A good analogy is taking a porche 911 and putting a few bags of sand in the trunk.  You didn't change the inherent ability of the car (the action of the rod).  The car can still do 0-60 in about 4.5 seconds.  You've weighed it down though and it won't be as responsive to throttle and braking (response rate of the rod).

Thanks,
    Rick
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fly Rod for Steel 2008/11/13 12:30:35 (permalink)
    It seems that to the untrained user, overlining may have a similar benefit/drawback to having a slower action, but they reasons for it are totally different.  Right?

Much like you can speed up your computer by upgrading the processor, OR adding more RAM...both will make your computer-using experience more enjoyable by reducing time spent waiting on the comp, but they go about it in very different ways from a computer engineer's standpoint.
    dano
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fly Rod for Steel 2008/11/13 13:17:54 (permalink)
    Anchke,
     I completely understand what you're saying about overlining, though its still tough to get a true feel of the rod loading  with todays graphite rods ujnless you have a lot of line out.
     I also have a 4wt St. Croix rod. An 8ft UL that seems to like a heavier line better than the 4wt the mfg called for. I think the rod is a true 5wt.
     It probably goes back to what Cast-by says. "One manufacturer's 6 wt has the same power as another manufacturer's 8 wt."

Gone Fishing
    dano
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fly Rod for Steel 2008/11/13 13:21:34 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Cold

Thanks, Mod!

So as of now, I'm thinking 7 wt rod, mod-fast, with 8 wt. line.  I'll probably pony up for the fancy gel spun backing or whatever its called, because 7-8wt is the top end of what my reel is designed to handle, and that will limit my backing capacity.

For you, I'm thinking a med-fast 7wt with a floating 7wt double taper line.
    I have no doubt.

Gone Fishing
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fly Rod for Steel 2008/11/13 13:27:49 (permalink)
    You say that overlining a rod makes a tip-flex rod bend deeper into the rod, which is exactly the definition of a slower rod.  I agree that the proportions remain the same for a respective action rod to an extent.  My point is that you are accomplishing basically the same thing by overlining a rod, as you would be by using a slower rod in that same weight (and manufacturer of course). 

For your Porche, adding dead weight will slow the car down!!  It will change handling characteristics, acceleration, top speed, ect.  Yes it is still the same car underneath, but the added weight can and will alter the performance.  Same for overlining a rod, yes it is still the same rod underneath, but what does that matter when it acts totally different?   

anchke
    Avid Angler
    RE: Fly Rod for Steel 2008/11/13 13:44:51 (permalink)
    I agree with cbf's comments above on overlining, a topic which seldom fails to touch off a debate. 

I don't have a Porsche (sigh) but do have a Saab and can affirm that it performs differently with a full tank and an overweight in-law in the back seat than it does with yours truly and half a tank. It doesn't become a Buick; it becomes a heavier Saab with weight moved to the back instead of over the front wheels.

A #7rod with an #8 line doesn't become an #8 outfit, a point that's often misunderstood. It's a #7 rod with an #8 line.

The best I can do is encourage the curious to try different line weights on their rod. Maybe you'll like the effect, maybe not. But there's no downside to the experiment. You won't mess up your casting touch. It's not like tinkering with a golf swing. 

When I overline, I've been told that I look like I'm getting quite a bit of distance for a modest amount of effort.  I think people are used to watching casters working hard to get a tip-flex $800 rod to bend, so they think that's normal. I don't pretend to be expert on the technical side of it; I just don't want to work that hard.
    casts_by_fly
    Expert Angler
    RE: Fly Rod for Steel 2008/11/14 04:14:06 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: dano

Anchke,
    I completely understand what you're saying about overlining, though its still tough to get a true feel of the rod loading  with todays graphite rods ujnless you have a lot of line out.
    I also have a 4wt St. Croix rod. An 8ft UL that seems to like a heavier line better than the 4wt the mfg called for. I think the rod is a true 5wt.
    It probably goes back to what Cast-by says. "One manufacturer's 6 wt has the same power as another manufacturer's 8 wt."

Dano,

If you don't like the feel of the rod until you get a lot of line out then you're not fishing a heavy enough line.  Your 4 wt St Croix is a good example of how different manufacturers will rate rods differently.  I love St Croix's rods and tapers.  The SCIV is the action and recovery that best fits my casting stroke.  When I was working in shops I had the opportunity to cast almost every single SCIV that was made at the time (plus a whole ton of other rods).  Each one is designed differently and St Croix assume an intended use for each rod.  It isn't enough for them to say that the 8' 4 wt is a trout rod, they will say that the 8' 4 wt is a rod that they expect trout fishermen to use on small streams fishing short to medium length lines primarily with dry flies.  The 9' 5 and 6 wt rods are assumed to be used for medium to large streams throwing big dries, nymphing rigs, and streamers.  Once they assume a use, they design that rod for that use using the rated line.  In the case of the 9' rod they will use a full 30' of line plus a fair sized bug and try casting from 20-50'.  For the shorter rod they will work it at 10-40'.  Technically the AFTMA guide is that the rod should load with 30' through the guides to be called that particular line weight.  In practice different manufacturers do things differently.  If you measure a Winston trout rod you'll find that they are over rated by a line weight or two.  They will talk about classic winston feel, when in reality they are overlining their rods.  They get away with it though because they use pretty light and stiff graphite for good responsiveness.  Like I said above, one manufacturer's 8 wt is another's 6.  Often manufacturer's will say that they are selling you an extra fast actioned 8 wt.  In reality they are selling you a moderate to moderate fast 10 wt that doesn't load enough.

Thanks,
    Rick
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: