some thoughts about the east side

Author
genieman77
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2534
  • Reward points: 0
2008/11/09 16:38:04 (permalink)

some thoughts about the east side

Never fished the east side, have no real intention to either.

but was wondering...

If i understand right, several years ago(5? 6?) they reduced the stocking numbers in Elk and Walnut and spread them over to east side.

Given the reports of lack of fish over there, I'm curious to hear from the long time east siders if the numbers increased all that much since they started dumping in more over there?

Thanks

..L.T.A.

11 Replies Related Threads

spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: some thoughts about the east side 2008/11/09 17:04:41 (permalink)
    Genie,

Most of the eastside streams only allow upstream migration for a short distance. Even in the lower ends "holding" water is limited. Given the short distance, and lack of desirable digs, alot of fish drop back to the lake in low water. Some days there are a ton, some days ( even the next ) there are few. There MAY be more fish, but they bounce in, and out just the same. 20 mile IMO has more fish, and in more locations than before. For those willing to seek them.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    FiveMilePete
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1131
    RE: some thoughts about the east side 2008/11/09 18:09:35 (permalink)
    If anything, I'd say the numbers of fish have declined greatly. Since 2003,
    some creeks, I would guess almost 80%. 7 mile creek has very few fish,
    if any right now. 4 mile has fish in one little area. 12 mile has fish in one area. Very few fish in 16 below Rt. 5.

I personally think that the dry weather the last few years has a lot to do with it. Some of the creeks are little more than trickles right now. An
    even bigger factor though was the huge rains of 2004 that essentially destroyed several of the smaller creeks, especially 7 mile. 7 mile had small holes, holding areas, and runs, all the way from the mouth to Rt. 5, and two large pools.  These areas were all either washed away, or filled in.
    The creek is now bare slate, from Rt. 5 to the mouth. I caught more fish in 2003-2004 at 7 mile than all years since, combined, probably 6 times more. The story was much the same at 4 mile.  At 16 mile, a water pipe that had been covered for years turned into a waterfall, and all the large rocks and gravel from Rt. 5 to the mouth got washed down to the mouth.
    I don't know why this would cause fewer returns, but I know it has.
    Perhaps the scent has changed, or the fish come in and then leave because they have no holding areas.

Anyway, that's the facts. Glad I had one year of great fishing, but I
    had hoped to share some of these small creeks with my nephews and
    grandkids. That will never happen, and I'm a little saddened by that.
    deetz4352
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3549
    RE: some thoughts about the east side 2008/11/09 19:13:44 (permalink)
    What pete said. The only exception is 20 mile. Its the largest on east side and i have seen and caught more and larger fish this year then in years past in 20 mile. I can only hope it stays that way. One of these days im gonna hike it from rt 20 to the state line to see how it has changed from years past. Here is a beauty i got after the rains came 2 weeks ago.I sure hope it will produce fish like this in future years. Id hate to lose what we got here.
    steelheadman28
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 393
    RE: some thoughts about the east side 2008/11/09 19:27:15 (permalink)
    The eastside streams offer fish , of course, in my opinion not as many as westside.There are not many holes and theres lots of fast water. Which means all the eastside streams can't hold many people and not as many fish. I think the fishing is definately better on the westside.
    FiveMilePete
    Pro Angler
    RE: some thoughts about the east side 2008/11/09 19:51:41 (permalink)
    Beautiful fish! Did you weigh it? Or at least measure it?

I've been on that stretch of 20, and while it's changed somewhat, it's not changed as dramatically as the others. Problem right now is the lack of rain.  Even 20 mile is low and clear. Tough conditions up there, even worse than Elk and the nut. Everyone was saying how great the water
    was on Elk last weekend, while 20 was still low and clear. Go figure.

Hope to see you up there sometime.

FMP
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: some thoughts about the east side 2008/11/09 19:54:15 (permalink)
    When you say fast water youre not joking. Ive fished holes on the east that are so fast 8 bb size shot couldnt get me to the bottom during low water! I also think that the hurricanes destroyed the east, someone should do something to open it back up. 16 mile used to be awesome, theres nada zip zilch in the way of good structure now.
    deetz4352
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3549
    RE: some thoughts about the east side 2008/11/09 20:14:23 (permalink)
    Pete i did not weigh nor did i measure her. All i wanted was a quick pic and let her go. I dont carry a tape measure or scale so the pics do me just fine. All i know is shes at least 11 or 12 pounder. Just a gestamation from others i have weighed like that one in the past. Most fish i land never leave the ground or water for that matter.
     I was at elk that week cause 20 mile was so low , a friend who lives on west side said water was great and it was. Funny how west side got the flow and east side did not. I dont think its too far to make a difference but the proof was there.
    genieman77
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2534
    RE: some thoughts about the east side 2008/11/09 20:18:32 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: deetz4352

Here is a beauty i got after the rains came 2 weeks ago

that's a sweet fish, Deetz, ain't no doubt
    But are you sure that one is from 2 weeks ago?
    Maybe a typo?

are those evergreens behind you?

..L.T.A.
    FiveMilePete
    Pro Angler
    RE: some thoughts about the east side 2008/11/09 23:54:28 (permalink)
    Looks like 12 pushing 13 to me, from girth and length. **** nice fish.
    Good you got a pic anyway.
    captnkirk
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 274
    RE: some thoughts about the east side 2008/11/10 11:36:53 (permalink)
    Remember when they used to clear out the mouth of 12 mile creek? That has not been done in quite a few  years. Sure could use dredged out. With the fresh snow and cold weather, the water will be green & have good flow. Lets hope that a few more fish come in from the lake.

Last week I could see a very large school of fish in the lake off 12 mile. Lots of fish in 4 mile but not enough room to support more than 6 people. Plus the east side of creek is private property.
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2674
    RE: some thoughts about the east side 2008/11/10 12:30:20 (permalink)
    I agree the numbers of fish have went down over the years, but there's still enough fish around to make it exciting.
    Jump to: