Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
JEB
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2248
  • Reward points: 0
2008/11/05 21:02:20 (permalink)

BOWFISHING ?

I've always wanted to try this, I am not an archery guy though. How much would it cost me to get set up ? And what kind of equipment should I get ?

60 Replies Related Threads

bassackwards
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 161
    RE: BOWFISHING ? 2008/11/14 18:29:26 (permalink)
    I would love to lean more about this too ! I'm not a hunter of animals (except fish), but would love to hit some carp with arrows. I have never hunted before...is no one else curious enough to post on this ? I have a couple spot that in the spring would be perfect for carpin'. How do you smoke carp anyways ? I heard they were good smoked ? Where do you get the papers ?
    rjc003
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 76
    RE: BOWFISHING ? 2008/11/14 23:18:24 (permalink)
    I'm considering taking it up as well. I just got into archery hunting and absolutely love it. I've been fishing since I was less than 3. So why not mix them. I plan on rigging my Dad's old bow up, since I don't want to beat my new one up.  Bows can range greatly in price. I would consider buying a cheaper bow or finding a used one.  I think you can really beat up a bow in a boat.  I know the kits which includes arrows, a real, and instructional video runs around $100.

Tight lines!
    rollcaster
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1091
    RE: BOWFISHING ? 2008/11/15 18:30:58 (permalink)

HOW TO SMOKE A CARP

First, start a medium size fire

Second, make sure you get lots of hot coals at the bottom

Finally, throw in the carp and leave it there forever!!!!!

Rod Man
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 18
    RE: BOW FISHING ? 2008/11/16 11:39:19 (permalink)
    Anyone living the Erie PA area?  I am going to bow fish in the spring and am working on equipment over the winter. I shoot a Hoyt Reflex Growler with a mechanical release and don't want to use this bow for fishing. Almost any bow can be rigged up for bow fishing.  Price? - cheap tape on reel with line and one or two arrows on an old bow to a full blown $600+ rig.  Keep length of bow in mind as this can be a problem esp in a boat.
     My biggest problem is switching from release shooting with sight  to instinctive finger shooting. Also, finding a suitable practice arrow simulating the fiberglass clunkers used for fishing.

flyfishermanPA
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1495
    RE: BOW FISHING ? 2008/11/16 13:22:26 (permalink)
    McFishin
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 199
    RE: BOW FISHING ? 2008/11/18 12:13:36 (permalink)
    you don't need to buy expensive equipment to do it....we shoot suckers/carp all summer long....we got a couple old recurves from yard sales/pawn shops and mounted the arrow, string spool, etc. to it...between the 3-4 of us we usually take anywhere from 10-50 carp/suckers a night when we go...it's great fun...get a cheap old recurve from someone for 50 bucks and the arrow/mounts are at gander for 24.99....it's all you need...if you go at night in a boat with a spotlight, your success rate increases by 200.....it's awesome.
    JEB
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2248
    RE: BOW FISHING ? 2008/11/19 19:36:53 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: flyfishermanPA

http://www.bowhunting.net/artman/publish/AMSBowfishing101.shtml

thought this info may be helpful..

Thanks
    griffon
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1104
    RE: BOW FISHING ? 2008/11/19 21:09:21 (permalink)
    Several buddies and I do this quite a bit in the spring.  It is not expensive at all.  You have been given some good advice.  One of the funnest things to do is find a small creek and surround a pool full of them.  If anyone is downstream, they will think that the second coming of Christ has begun... The water will turn red in a hurry when 4-6 guys open up on a school of 100+ carp.
    flyfishermanPA
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1495
    RE: BOW FISHING ? 2008/11/23 14:27:09 (permalink)
    If it's anything to you I've seen guys bowfishing Slippery Rock creek in the Spring before..
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: BOW FISHING ? 2008/11/24 09:36:05 (permalink)
    i honestly don't want to start an arguement... and will leave ethics and personal opions out
    and i know its legal

but,
    why would you want to shoot a carp?
    griffon
    Pro Angler
    RE: BOW FISHING ? 2008/11/24 11:50:29 (permalink)
    1. ...because using dynamite isn't legal!

2. They are an invasive species that does more harm than good to every waterway they inhabit...
    post edited by griffon - 2008/11/24 14:41:51
    pacarper
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 463
    RE: BOW FISHING ? 2008/11/25 01:12:40 (permalink)
    #2 is NOT true.
    griffon
    Pro Angler
    RE: BOW FISHING ? 2008/11/25 07:34:10 (permalink)
    Please explain how they are not invasive.
    Please tell us one positive side effect that they have in ANY water ecosystem.

The only place they are effective is in my garden as fertilizer. 

pacarper
    Expert Angler
    RE: BOW FISHING ? 2008/11/25 12:11:57 (permalink)
    You stated they are invasive, so how a about you postin' some specific evidence that common carp are invasive in PA waters.
    Fact is, the PFBC consider common carp a gamefish.
    griffon
    Pro Angler
    RE: BOWFISHING ? 2008/11/25 12:15:12 (permalink)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_carp

OK... before you call me out, you better make sure you know what you are talking about!

No Soup For You!  NEXT!!!
    post edited by griffon - 2008/11/25 12:17:34
    pacarper
    Expert Angler
    RE: BOWFISHING ? 2008/11/25 12:45:41 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: griffon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_carp

OK... before you call me out, you better make sure you know what you are talking about!

No Soup For You!  NEXT!!!

It mentions cc were introduced in the same sentence as invasive is mentioned.  Introduced is a better term.  Anyone that knows anything about the history of carp in the states, knows that US govt. stocked cc in public waters, they didn't invade.
    States nothing about PA waters, tho.................................
    griffon
    Pro Angler
    RE: BOWFISHING ? 2008/11/25 13:00:47 (permalink)
      Sometimes the facts aren't worth the effort or frustration of posting...  Regardless, I will shoot several hundred next year again and do my part to assist our fisheries. 
    pacarper
    Expert Angler
    RE: BOWFISHING ? 2008/11/25 13:49:40 (permalink)

Sometimes the facts aren't worth the effort or frustration of posting...  Regardless, I will shoot several hundred next year again and do my part to assist our fisheries. 

LOL.  I know what ya mean.
    Trust me, I've read plenty of them carp studies, so I've researched this topic, and I know what I'm talkin' about too.  Those studies don't prove carp are invasive.

Carp are the biggest member of the minnow family and are forage (that's a positive) for other gamefish obviously, before they grow too big to be more than baitfish.  If a water doesn't have enough predators to keep them in check, cc can become overpopulated (Pymatuning is a good example of this) and be a symptom of a much larger problem----over-harvesting of predator fish, water pollution, bad fishery management, etc.  In a balanced fishery though, carp have their place.  Course, you probably already knew this.

Bowfishing can help a fishery sometimes I guess in waters where carp are over-populated.  I have nothing against those who enjoy archery sports.  Just don't like seeing common carp unjustifiably bashed.  You enjoy your sport and I'll enjoy mine.

Oh and here's a link: http://www.fish.state.pa.us/pafish/carp/carp_fishing.htm
    Carphead
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 284
    RE: BOWFISHING ? 2008/11/25 22:53:59 (permalink)
    Nicely put Carper. There is a difference between a species being INVASIVE and INTRODUCED. The round gobie is an invasive species in Pennsylvania, the brown trout is an introduced species. Hold all arguments about the damage a common carp causes to the bodies of water they inhabit because it has been beaten to death, I'm simply arguing the difference between introduced and invasive. Granted some species of fish do cause more havoc then others, any fish that is introduced or invasive is going to throw things out of whack, some more than others.
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    RE: BOWFISHING ? 2008/11/26 08:34:27 (permalink)
    on could argue that rainbows are and invasive introduced population...
    they push out native brookies and wild browns
    griffon
    Pro Angler
    RE: BOWFISHING ? 2008/11/26 08:58:46 (permalink)
    While rainbows are notorious for running other species out of their native habitat (fyi, Browns are nonnative as well), that is the only damage they cause to ecosystems.  And yes, there are areas where TU and other organizations are trying to eliminate rainbows so as to restore native trout populations (cutthroats in the west particularly).  Carp go way beyond eliminating other species simply due to dietary habits.  They stir up pollutants that have begun leaching through bottom material, they silt eggs to where reproduction fails, in standing bodies of water, they can raise water temperatures to levels that are unsustainable by many other species (a good example would be to put several carp in a fertile beaver pond with sustained trout populations.  Within a relatively short time, the pond will be void of life to due the behavior and dietary traits of the carp).  They can and do destroy certain plant species in some areas that are critical for waterfowl.  Once a carp gets to a certain size, he becomes too large to be considered part of the food chain for other predators.  When large schools of carp gather, they are foraging machines that will deprive nutrients from the other species within the ecosystem.  Controlling their numbers is in the best interests of every angler.
    post edited by griffon - 2008/11/26 09:02:00
    pacarper
    Expert Angler
    RE: BOWFISHING ? 2008/11/26 12:24:59 (permalink)
    I've read/heard all that before.  Someone certainly has been brainwashed into believing the many of out-dated "carp studies" that are out there.  While some of what ya state can occur on a unbalanced fishery, it certainly doesn't apply to every water.  I'm sure catfish (which, btw, you are allowed to bowfish for in PA now), another bottom dweller, don't display any of the same behaviors as carp and cause some of the same symptoms.  Why the carp (or any species for that matter) become over-populated in certain waters is the real crux of the situation.  Too many times carp are made the scapegoat for poor water quality, when as I mentioned previously, there is likely a more significant cause to the problem.  The carp are just doing what they were brought here to do in the first place------they're a hardy, tough fish that are superior to many other fish at adapting and surviving in adverse conditions when other species can't sometimes.  Many waters were already polluted(man-made) and native fish were being over-harvested, when carp were first stocked here.
    This thread was started discussing the sport of bowfishing by those that enjoy that activity, which is fine.  But all too often, these kinda threads turn into carp-bashing, let's eradicate the evil carp, they're the cause for all the water problems.  I was waitin' for this thread to take the same turn and it did, big surprise.  All it takes is for one person to stir the pot a little.  And here I thought this section was for discussing angling for carp and catfish, at least that's how it's labeled.

As for the invasive, introduced, non-native, exotic, nuisance stuff, it seems that according to the PFBC, all those terms are inter-changeable---it's all semantics I guess.  See here: http://www.fish.state.pa.us/ais.htm
    Whatever term ya want to use for them, I don't see common carp listed on PA's ANS list so........................

Having fun fishing for common carp should be in the best interest of every angler.
    post edited by pacarper - 2008/11/26 15:10:43
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    RE: BOWFISHING ? 2008/11/26 13:48:00 (permalink)
    I can't wait for it to get warm... and i can carp fish
    i treat them them same way i would a trout
    i think they are a great sport fish
    stalking and sight casting a fly to a warry unchummed carp in a mud flat is super tech and is one of the hardest PA freshwater oppertunites

griffon
    Pro Angler
    RE: BOWFISHING ? 2008/11/26 14:05:50 (permalink)
    KJH,  Try a Muzzy fly, they hit them every time as long as you make a good cast
    post edited by griffon - 2008/11/26 14:06:13
    accordbw
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 374
    RE: BOWFISHING ? 2008/11/26 18:22:00 (permalink)
    First of all I carp fish. I have read all of this before and if you bow fish naturally you will stick up for yourselves same as farp fisherman do the same. Only thing I tell people anymore is is carp has been around for 200 years here. They live around 25 years so all of the sudden carp are a problem? What about the other 180 years they have been around. Most problems are man made and blamed on carp for a simple scapegoat. Now there are some lakes that are overpopulated and simple reason for that is the predatory fish are caught and taken home in abundance leaving less . If you guys would pay attention to some of the trophy lakes. When a carp spawns guess what most of them are eaten by other fish, A good amount may survive but a lot are eaten. Its nature it happens and a lot of lakes I fish if the spawn is good so are the sizes of the bass and other fish in the lake.As far as stirring up the bottom when they feed they can stir it up but its not a tornado rolling through. Now if you watching a bedding bass it defends the nest and a carp is not a predatory fish so it will just move long . They are the same as a catfish only larger in many aspects but yuo don't read about catfish all day and night.

As far as bowfishing goes the one thing I truly see thats backwards is they go after the largest fish to "control" the problem. That actually causes quite the oppposite and any biologist will tell you the same. If you remove one large fish and that fish may take up 20 yards of biomass on a lake now that space has to be taken by something so now 5 carp will take up  that biomass. So for every one large carp shot smaller carp will replace that large one. Eventually if all the large ones are shot then guess what overpopulated lake.Thats for any species not just carp.Another thing is the larger,older ones just like a human are less sterile than a smaller one.
    pacarper
    Expert Angler
    RE: BOWFISHING ? 2008/11/26 19:04:47 (permalink)
    Watch out, the pro-carpers are coming out now in force. 
    Yinz guys have fun with this thread.
    Hopefully, I'll get out this weekend and get a Thanksgiving carp----- aahhh, on a hook and line, just so there is no cornfusion.
    accordbw
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 374
    RE: BOWFISHING ? 2008/11/26 19:51:37 (permalink)
    I am not here to stir it up but to only give a different perspective on things. In all honesty I would love to take a few guys out that either bowfish or never carp fished before and let them understand why I do it and enjoy it. I am sure quite a few would look at things differently after having fun catching a few.
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    RE: BOWFISHING ? 2008/11/27 20:43:53 (permalink)

KJH,  Try a Muzzy fly, they hit them every time as long as you make a good cast

these are what i throw...

post edited by KJH807 - 2008/11/27 20:44:25
    joebaker79
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 805
    RE: BOWFISHING ? 2008/12/01 08:44:11 (permalink)
    Griffon,  If you want to present facts try siting something other than Wikipedia. 
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to: