Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
chicken27
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 763
  • Reward points: 0
2008/11/02 18:00:35 (permalink)

HOW MAKES THE BEST

I will be on the market this spring for a new bow.I want to know how makes the best bow,sights,and rest.I'm saving right now so think money is no object.I always shot hoyts since i strating shooting bow.

30 Replies Related Threads

psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3104
    RE: HOW MAKES THE BEST 2008/11/02 23:09:15 (permalink)
    Mathews bow

QAD HD or Ripcord drop-a-way rest

G5 or Spot Hogg sight

grimm reaper
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 186
    RE: HOW MAKES THE BEST 2008/11/02 23:19:57 (permalink)
    best sights on the market hands down are lethal weapon made by surloc
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: HOW MAKES THE BEST 2008/11/02 23:23:07 (permalink)
    As far as bows go, you can't go wrong with most brands. Mathews, Ross, Bowtech, Diamond, PSE, Hoyt, Martin, Bear, and some others i'm probably forgetting, all make very comparable high end bows. Plenty of guys will tell you mathews are the best, that was the case a few years ago, but it's not anymore. Shoot a bunch, and find out what you like.

I've been using a trophy taker shakey hunter drop away over the past couple of years. I've had it on a few different bows, and havent had it go out of tune one time. I would reccomend one, but just like bows, there are a lot of good ones out there.

Sights are the same way, there are plenty of good ones. I bought an extreme archery sight a year ago, and love it. I think I paid around $85 for it, but it has been well worth the money.
    krott243
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 954
    RE: HOW MAKES THE BEST 2008/11/02 23:38:10 (permalink)
    There is no really best out their, and if somebody disagrees then your wrong.  There are many products that are great and have high dollar price tags but its all about what you like.  My opinions are

Bows:  Hoyt, Mathews and Bowtech are the top 3 in my pick. They are all great bows. I have shot pretty much every bow all the companies make and I am fan of Hoyt overall.

Sights: Dont feel like listing all the sights I have tried, but IMO, Copper John makes a hell of sight for the price and is the sight I shoot and will shoot for ahwile.

Rests: Drop Away rests in general hands down.  A lot of nice ones out there, Trophy Ridge Dropzone is 1st on my list with the trophy taker shakey hunter right behind it.

Go to some shops and ask to shoot some bows.  Check out other hunters setups that you know and just see what you like best.

The Lord has blessed us all today... It's just that he has been particularly good to me.
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: HOW MAKES THE BEST 2008/11/03 08:04:00 (permalink)
    Stay away from the drop zone, internal parts are bad. Muzzy zero effect is the drop away of all drop aways. I personally went back to a WB.

Hands down i think the vertical inline pins and no tools adjustment of the trophy ridge flatliner series are the best.
    krott243
    Expert Angler
    RE: HOW MAKES THE BEST 2008/11/03 09:12:04 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jlh42581

Stay away from the drop zone, internal parts are bad. Muzzy zero effect is the drop away of all drop aways. I personally went back to a WB.

Hands down i think the vertical inline pins and no tools adjustment of the trophy ridge flatliner series are the best.

I disagree, I think the Muzzy zero effect rest is the worst drop away on the market. Id put a biscuit on my bow before that thing and I would never put a biscuit on my bow. Everyone likes different products though. Just my opinion.

The Lord has blessed us all today... It's just that he has been particularly good to me.
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    RE: HOW MAKES THE BEST 2008/11/03 10:54:20 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: krott243

I disagree, I think the Muzzy zero effect rest is the worst drop away on the market. Id put a biscuit on my bow before that thing and I would never put a biscuit on my bow. Everyone likes different products though. Just my opinion.

I replaced my drop zone after 3 seasons. The launcher arm froze in position and couldnt even be forced down.
    gooseman
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 153
    RE: HOW MAKES THE BEST 2008/11/03 17:04:02 (permalink)
    I have a Drop Zone on my bow. I've had mine for 3 seasons too. The problem I've been having with mine is getting it to lock in position. What is a good rest ?
    gooseman
    Avid Angler
    RE: HOW MAKES THE BEST 2008/11/03 17:25:57 (permalink)
    It's funny, I looked back at some of the old posts and you, me and Krott were all talking about different rest.......we choose the Drop Zone. Mistake or not ?
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    RE: HOW MAKES THE BEST 2008/11/03 17:49:54 (permalink)
    I just think it has too many places to fail. I chose to go back to the whisker biscut and i dont regret it at all. From what i can tell i didnt lose any speed nor did it make a noise difference. Its my opinion a fall away is the optimal tool for a target shooter. I wanted something with no moving parts to break in the woods. I like the fact my arrow is right where i expect it to be all the time. For the price, durability and design the wisker biscut is my choice for a hunting bow.

I tried everything i could to get that rest to stop making noise when the launcher hit the shelf, they need a complete redesign on that thing.
    post edited by jlh42581 - 2008/11/03 17:51:44
    gooseman
    Avid Angler
    RE: HOW MAKES THE BEST 2008/11/03 17:58:45 (permalink)
    Man !! Another Whisker Biscut fan. I even put one on my wifes bow.....I guess I will have to try one. LOL
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    RE: HOW MAKES THE BEST 2008/11/03 18:38:21 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: gooseman

Man !! Another Whisker Biscut fan. I even put one on my wifes bow.....I guess I will have to try one. LOL

Doubt you will notice any difference except your arrow will be where you want it, always. Something with the peace of mind about it not breaking on a hunt is comforting too.
    psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    RE: HOW MAKES THE BEST 2008/11/04 16:08:51 (permalink)
    Shoot a Mathews and you will know why it is #1
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    RE: HOW MAKES THE BEST 2008/11/04 18:00:34 (permalink)
    I don't believe any bow company is #1 right now.

There are so many good high end bows, but if I had to choose one after all the new ones i've shot this year, it would be the PSE Xforce. I shot one at a local shop that was set up for hunting, and was being chrono'd at 330fps. Keep in mind I don't mean 330fps IBO, I mean 330 in a hunting setup. BTW, it was as smooth as any mathews or any other bow out there.
    troutworm1975
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 29
    RE: HOW MAKES THE BEST 2008/11/04 18:23:51 (permalink)
    i will guarantee u that the pse x force is the best bow for the money in every sense of the word archery equipment there is no other bow on the market that will do what it does check out the video on you tube it is faster, less torque , and more penitration on 60 pounds than other bows have on 70 pounds         i have had one for two years know and there is nothing like it  i have a trophy taker rest and a cobra sight  there is nothing like pse mathews slogan is catch us if you can  pse blew bye them 2 years ago change your slogan mathews plus for an extra bonus they came out with three new x force bows this year
    gobyking
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1195
    RE: HOW MAKES THE BEST 2008/11/04 18:31:22 (permalink)
    I don't know, I haven't shot a PSE in years. Although I do hear great things about the X-force. I have a Drenalin and can't be happier.

Chicken27, just by an uzi and use it anytime of year. That will kill deer a lot quicker with a more penatration in massive doses since your are a poacher. Someone else said you don't deserve to hunt, I second that. 
    chicken27
    Expert Angler
    RE: HOW MAKES THE BEST 2008/11/04 19:20:45 (permalink)
    So what you an these other guys think is that if someone would break into your house and was going to kill your family you wouldn't kill them first because it's illegal.If you think i'm a poacher then so be it.I was just defending my self nothing more if i did something wrong then i'm sorry.
    gobyking
    Pro Angler
    RE: HOW MAKES THE BEST 2008/11/04 19:32:30 (permalink)
    Are the woods your house?

You call that defending yourself, I call it bull. You can't be serious,5 minutes at 5 feet or less and you can't scare the buck away?

The PGC would have slapped you with a lot of fines and a few years repealed of your ability to hunt. I wish you would have called them. Sorry thing is you still think what ou are doing is right, it's no wonder hunters get a bad name anymore.
    chicken27
    Expert Angler
    RE: HOW MAKES THE BEST 2008/11/04 19:49:09 (permalink)
    If i'm such a horrible hunter how can i gained permisson to hunt some of the most posted property?I been hunted three posted farm for 4 years now with no complaint from the owners.I was a kid i had supervision 200 yards from me maybe they should of been beside me and none of this wouldn't of happen.I learn alot since then if this would occured agiain i would diffently react different. 
    psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    RE: HOW MAKES THE BEST 2008/11/04 23:41:44 (permalink)
    PSE Xforce sounds like a 20 gauge going off
    gobyking
    Pro Angler
    RE: HOW MAKES THE BEST 2008/11/04 23:47:46 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: chicken27

If I'm such a horrible hunter then how can I gain permission to hunt some of the most posted property in my area? I have been hunting three posted farms for 4 years now without a complaint from the owners. I was a kid and I didn't have any supervision except for 200 yards away from me. Maybe my supervision should have been beside me and none of this would have happened. I learned a lot since then. If this would have occured again I would have reacted differently. 

There. I fixed it for you retard.

Don't shoot a cow. I had morons like you shoot two cows on my neighbors farm which I worked on when I was a teenager. I gladly helped him put up posted signs on his 50 acres which I hunted for a few years alone to keep you trash/slob hunters out.

PS    F-YOU!

thedrake
    Pro Angler
    RE: HOW MAKES THE BEST 2008/11/05 00:10:37 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: psu_fish

If the X force sounds like a 20 gauge, then the mathews does as well.

Read this: http://bowsite.com/BOWSITE/features/articles/equipment/2007headtohead/

scroll down below the picture of the kids and click on the red arrow next to "feature loaded". Next, click on the red arrow next to the word "results". You'll see a list of categories. Click on the one titled "decibel noise".
    post edited by thedrake - 2008/11/05 00:18:12
    psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    RE: HOW MAKES THE BEST 2008/11/05 11:31:13 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: thedrake

ORIGINAL: psu_fish

If the X force sounds like a 20 gauge, then the mathews does as well.

Read this: http://bowsite.com/BOWSITE/features/articles/equipment/2007headtohead/

scroll down below the picture of the kids and click on the red arrow next to "feature loaded". Next, click on the red arrow next to the word "results". You'll see a list of categories. Click on the one titled "decibel noise".

I dont see the DXT that list
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    RE: HOW MAKES THE BEST 2008/11/05 17:08:41 (permalink)
    Never said it was. Regardless, you can see how the x force compares to the mathews made the year before. I bet there is very little difference in noise between this years mathews and last.

If the x force sounds like a 20 gauge going off, then the drenalin does too... since they recorded nearly identical decibel readings.
    chromewrangler
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 64
    RE: HOW MAKES THE BEST 2008/11/05 17:56:36 (permalink)
    this is probably going to take alot of heat from some of the guys, but i stayed away from matthews, pse, and bowtech and for only this reason, ppl have been killing deer with archery equipment that was old, slow and noisy that didnt cost as much money as these new bows do.  That being said, i  bought a reflex growler last year which is made by hoyt..and i couldnt be happier.  A really expensive bow isnt going to kill a deer, its how you shoot whichever bow you buy.  I am not down talking hoyt, or matthews or any of them at all.  Ive shot them all at shops and i really do like them all, i just dont see the purpose of spending that much money on one.  When i first got back on the market for a new bow i was shooting an old jennings and i ultimately just outgrew my bow, so i decided to get back into archery after a few years off.  I did alot of shopping, and pricing, and testing and heres what ive found.   EVERY BOW WILL KILL A DEER if the shooter properly practices and knows the limitations of his or her bow.  If money isnt an option, then any of them are a good choice, youll just have to see which one you are most comfortable with.  But dont be afraid to check out some of the "made by" bows such as mission "made by" matthews or reflex "made by" hoyt.  As far as rests, i personally shoot a quality archery design drop away rest and i am very satisfied with it.  Most of the guys i know shoot WB, and i dont nessecarily dislike them, i jsut like the idea of my arrow not touching anything when its released. with the whisker biscit your arrow is incontact with a the surface of the rest the entire time...so basically any drop way i feel is better than a whisker biscit.  Sights, copper john, toxonics, and the new g5 sites are some of the best ive seen.  I shoot an older toxonic setup, and i have no complaints but i may be on the market for a new site..anyway best of luck with whichever bow you decide to buy....shoot straight
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    RE: HOW MAKES THE BEST 2008/11/05 18:49:08 (permalink)
    Good post.

I agree, a more expensive bow isn't going to kill you more deer. It is pretty hard to go wrong with any new bow that fits you.
    krott243
    Expert Angler
    RE: HOW MAKES THE BEST 2008/11/05 18:55:34 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: chromewrangler

this is probably going to take alot of heat from some of the guys, but i stayed away from matthews, pse, and bowtech and for only this reason, ppl have been killing deer with archery equipment that was old, slow and noisy that didnt cost as much money as these new bows do.  That being said, i  bought a reflex growler last year which is made by hoyt..and i couldnt be happier.  A really expensive bow isnt going to kill a deer, its how you shoot whichever bow you buy.  I am not down talking hoyt, or matthews or any of them at all.  Ive shot them all at shops and i really do like them all, i just dont see the purpose of spending that much money on one.  When i first got back on the market for a new bow i was shooting an old jennings and i ultimately just outgrew my bow, so i decided to get back into archery after a few years off.  I did alot of shopping, and pricing, and testing and heres what ive found.   EVERY BOW WILL KILL A DEER if the shooter properly practices and knows the limitations of his or her bow.  If money isnt an option, then any of them are a good choice, youll just have to see which one you are most comfortable with.  But dont be afraid to check out some of the "made by" bows such as mission "made by" matthews or reflex "made by" hoyt.  As far as rests, i personally shoot a quality archery design drop away rest and i am very satisfied with it.  Most of the guys i know shoot WB, and i dont nessecarily dislike them, i jsut like the idea of my arrow not touching anything when its released. with the whisker biscit your arrow is incontact with a the surface of the rest the entire time...so basically any drop way i feel is better than a whisker biscit.  Sights, copper john, toxonics, and the new g5 sites are some of the best ive seen.  I shoot an older toxonic setup, and i have no complaints but i may be on the market for a new site..anyway best of luck with whichever bow you decide to buy....shoot straight

Reflex makes the best bow for the money.  I have a reflex excursion with the cam and 1/2, basically a Hoyt Magnatec with different cams that I bought 4-5 yrs ago.  Since then I have killed a doe and buck every year with it.  I also shot over 40 3d shoots throughout a summer and consistently shot 270's-290s every week.  For the money, they are the best bow I have ever shot, since then I bought a higher priced Hoyt, but still have my good ole reflex.

grimm reaper
    Avid Angler
    RE: HOW MAKES THE BEST 2008/11/05 22:32:23 (permalink)
    psu i hate to tell you this but mathews is rated for the most nosiest bow out there and im not just saying thatbc i shoot for a pro shop that gives me a xforce and a pse money maker
    grimm reaper
    Avid Angler
    RE: HOW MAKES THE BEST 2008/11/05 22:34:07 (permalink)
    but let me tell you that these days all bows are about the same
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: