Gazetteer

Author
fisherofmen376
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2215
  • Reward points: 0
2008/11/01 12:55:59 (permalink)

Gazetteer

Hey everyone, I travel a lot for my job, and am interested in having a better idea of stream locations. I have heard about a book that maps out different bodies of water in the area.  Ive surfed online, and I think its called the Pennsylvania Atlas and Gazeteer.  Is this the book I need to help find streams and things across the state?  Thanks. 

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19

2 Replies Related Threads

Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    RE: Gazetteer 2008/11/01 13:48:47 (permalink)
    Fisher -

This is a pretty handy tool to have to give you general ideas, though it's detail is not all that great for bodies of water.  It shows state game lands, state parks, and state forest areas.  Think they're about $20 at Wal Mart.

If you check out the Fish Commission website, and go to the stocking lists, it will give you GPS coordinates as well as Google maps for stocked areas.  There's also a feature on the Google Maps to get directions to each spot.  Start here: http://pfbc.state.pa.us/pfbc_webgis/TroutStockingDetails.aspx and use it in conjunction with the Atlas and Gazetteer
    Select the county you want, and the stocking dates, and it will give you the upper and lower boundaries of each stocking area.

2dog
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 468
    RE: Gazetteer 2008/11/01 15:02:39 (permalink)
    It shows a lot of roads that other maps don't. Usually they are marked but some you have to be careful of, they are nothing but a goat path.
    Jump to: