Steelhead are just fish. Remember that!

Author
Xstream Fishing
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 78
  • Reward points: 0
2008/10/29 14:41:22 (permalink)

Steelhead are just fish. Remember that!

They are fish.  Not anything more than that. We can catch them on an Ugly Stick($30) or a Sage ($600).  It does not matter, because after you caught them, you caught one.  Please, no more bickering or name calling.  It makes this board a pain to read.
X

PS...They are just a fish!

We have not inherited this world from our ancestors, rather we borrowed it from our children.

Happiness does not come from having much, but from being attached to little...
FISH ON, GOTTA RUN!

17 Replies Related Threads

mikeg
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2533
    RE: Steelhead are just fish. Remember that! 2008/10/29 14:56:47 (permalink)
    Good to hear from you, X!

And good post!
    MackJ
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 522
    RE: Steelhead are just fish. Remember that! 2008/10/29 14:59:28 (permalink)
    Nice avatar picture; is that just a dog?
    Xstream Fishing
    Novice Angler
    RE: Steelhead are just fish. Remember that! 2008/10/29 16:00:49 (permalink)
    Mike, Thanks.  I have laid off this board for a bit with posting, though I still read it daily.  I get tired with the bickering and that is what keeps me from posting more than I do.  You are doing a great job as moderator, by the way.  Thanks....Many times over...

Mackj, That is my pooch, Zoe, a Weim, 4 years old and full of life.  She likes steel as much as we do.  She likes to go fish;-)

X

We have not inherited this world from our ancestors, rather we borrowed it from our children.

FISH ON, GOTTA RUN!
    FiveMilePete
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1131
    RE: Steelhead are just fish. Remember that! 2008/10/29 19:07:16 (permalink)
    Just a dog.
    Kokanee Killer
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1015
    RE: Steelhead are just fish. Remember that! 2008/10/29 20:07:40 (permalink)
    sometimes we all should remember that THEY ARE JUST FISH...

I have become comfortably numb
    krott243
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 954
    RE: Steelhead are just fish. Remember that! 2008/10/29 20:53:34 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Xstream Fishing

Mike, Thanks.  I have laid off this board for a bit with posting, though I still read it daily.  I get tired with the bickering and that is what keeps me from posting more than I do.  You are doing a great job as moderator, by the way.  Thanks....Many times over...

Mackj, That is my pooch, Zoe, a Weim, 4 years old and full of life.  She likes steel as much as we do.  She likes to go fish;-)

X

The bickering keeps you and a lot of other good folks away that I wish would still post.  I dont blame you one bit.

The Lord has blessed us all today... It's just that he has been particularly good to me.
    Stillhead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1887
    RE: Steelhead are just fish. Remember that! 2008/10/29 22:13:32 (permalink)
    X,

were you in the boro park on Sunday with the dog in your avatar?   I petted a dog just like that one, didn't talk to the owner.  Cool dog, just checkin' everything out, but not bothering anyone.
    WetWilly
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 29
    RE: Steelhead are just fish. Remember that! 2008/10/29 22:39:23 (permalink)
    **** nice dog too!!
    gct069
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 75
    RE: Steelhead are just fish. Remember that! 2008/10/30 00:24:41 (permalink)
    i agree with you concerning the bickering that goes on in here...but i disagree with you on.."steelhead are just a fish" even though they are ,just that..a fish..they are a way of life for me.when the leaves of fall start turning their wonderful colors,you can find me somewhere on the creeks(tribs) of lake erie.i was born and raised in that area,and i grew up fishing and hunting.(family tradition).the steelhead and walleyes hit my funny bone like a ton of bricks.(wallys in the spring at the mouths of the tribs,and chromeys in the fall)ive recieved so much relaxation and enjoyment from these 2 fish that i cant explain to you in words how i feel.some days after a rough day on the job,(i teach entry level truck driving),i need a release,and fishing gives that to me.it doesnt matter if i catch anything or i catch 50,im at ease on the water.especially with a rod in my hands lol.i am in no means a great fisherman,but i do catch my share..i release more than i keep.and i pick up my trash and others just like most of you.i wasnt upset when i read those words(stealhead are just a fish),i was just concerned that others arent as passionate about fishing as i am.please dont take offense to what ive written,it was ,by no means meant to upset anyone..im just telling you how i feel.hope to cya all on the water.....lok for the chubby dude with the kentucky hoody on...that be me

gerg
    Xstream Fishing
    Novice Angler
    RE: Steelhead are just fish. Remember that! 2008/10/30 09:15:11 (permalink)
    gtc069,

Dude, I share the passion.  It is a feeling I have that is quite difficult to explain, but since you know what it is, I don't have to.  But really, the fish is just a small part of the equation, is it not?
    Keep on truckin'...... and then go fish...

X

FISH ON, GOTTA RUN!
    leadmen
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1001
    RE: Steel head are just fish. Remember that! 2008/10/30 09:21:59 (permalink)
    weather its a cane pole or a expensive  rod , its a tradition !! and they are more than just a fish too many peeps . ill teach my kids and who knows they may teach theres .
    bluehalo
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 97
    RE: Steel head are just fish. Remember that! 2008/10/30 12:05:04 (permalink)
    I have to agree that they are more than just fish, bit its hard to get the feeling you are describing when I'm up at Erie. Theres just soooo many other fisherman around, its hard to get the intimate feel when I'm there. It does happen, but not as often as say when I'm at a wild trout stream. However, with that said, the few times I get steel alone, its better than just about any other fishing experience I've witnessed.
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Steelhead are just fish. Remember that! 2008/10/30 17:13:02 (permalink)

gtc069,

Dude, I share the passion.  It is a feeling I have that is quite difficult to explain, but since you know what it is, I don't have to.  But really, the fish is just a small part of the equation, is it not?

X

You're exactly right Xstream, the species of the fish is only a part of the equation.  Thats why I love to target various species at various times of the year to break up the monotany and and impact variety.  The best part of the equation for me has to be figuring out different ways and methods that work best for catching any of them.  My favorite species has to be the muskie, but in recent years, the steelhead has come in at a close second.  Overall though, the fish itself would not be near as fun without all of the other factors!

Deadbolt401
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3029
    RE: Steelhead are just fish. Remember that! 2008/10/30 20:44:56 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: ShutUpNFish

gtc069,

X

You're exactly right Xstream, the species of the fish is only a part of the equation.  Thats why I love to target various species at various times of the year to break up the monotany and and impact variety.  The best part of the equation for me has to be figuring out different ways and methods that work best for catching any of them.  My favorite species has to be the muskie, but in recent years, the steelhead has come in at a close second.  Overall though, the fish itself would not be near as fun without all of the other factors!

Yep, it's a way of life, all summer I'm picking up stuff, waiting, planning, wishing, hoping! Hell, I had dreams about steelhead fishing.

Good post X, hopefully people heed it's message.
    elephanthead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1057
    RE: Steelhead are just fish. Remember that! 2008/11/01 10:20:20 (permalink)
    For the last couple of years there's been a steelhead mania going on. And you're right X it's just a fish. But for the newbie it's exciting like it was when I first started years ago. Lately, the "it's just a fish" mentality has hit me and there's not that excitment as before. Sometimes I wish I were a newbie and could get that feeling back. Dave
    Kokanee Killer
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1015
    RE: Steelhead are just fish. Remember that! 2008/11/01 13:56:50 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: elephanthead

For the last couple of years there's been a steelhead mania going on. And you're right X it's just a fish. But for the newbie it's exciting like it was when I first started years ago. Lately, the "it's just a fish" mentality has hit me and there's not that excitment as before. Sometimes I wish I were a newbie and could get that feeling back. Dave
    yeah i hear that its better to burn out than fade away,, i need a kokanee trip BAD

I have become comfortably numb
    STEALYS4ME
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1443
    RE: Steelhead are just fish. Remember that! 2008/11/02 09:18:45 (permalink)
    GO GET THEM.
    Jump to: