Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
elephanthead
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1057
  • Reward points: 0
2008/10/27 09:29:03 (permalink)

OAK ORCHARD FISHING ????

Just got back from NY and fishing the Oak. I think we we're the only ones fishing, the rest well, you have to see it to believe it !!  If you're a actually fishing for the kings and browns, don't, I REPEAT, DON'T go near the wall at rhe dam. The "Wall Monkeys" as I call them make it impossible to have a good day. From the "Pirate" running up and down the wall yelling fish on, comin down, goin up, comin across, fish off, and AAARRGGG (why I call him the pirate) to the young kid who stated he got 20 today (all drug in backwards) What a mess !! Don't take bait, all you need is weight (and plenty of it) a hook (big preferred), and a piece of yarn, sponge, or booger if you pick your own and you're in business. And, you can get 20 too ! Also, love the picture takers after one comes in upside down or backwards. Most all remembered to take the hook out of the tail before snapping. Then, there,s Burt. Actually saw more ethical fishing being done there. The Genny, well that's for another day, it's a story of it's own.  I'll never complain about Erie fishing again. Compared to NY we're saints. This was about my 8th or 9th trip to NY and most likely my last, Too stressful.... Litter, Erie has none. You want to see litter go to NY. I have to say, we've done a great job on taking more out than we brought in as the steams here are much cleaner than in the past. So, in closing I'd like to say, I did not buy a "I love NY sweatshirt"   There's no place like home.. Dave

44 Replies Related Threads

pensfan1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3427
    RE: OAK ORCHARD FISHING ???? 2008/10/27 10:06:28 (permalink)
    We ran into the same on our trip. Guys lining fish, snagging fish and so proud of it. Hopefully if Pa.'s brown trout program takes off ,none of us will have to go to NY again. The key is "taking off". Hopefully browns caught as two and three year olds are turned loose to come back as four and fives. Catching salmon are fun but we'll probably never go back for them. I also agree with the state of Erie fishing as opposed to the former. Ya guys may be rude, uneducated and just plain ignorant but.........................There's no place like home.

Jason
    Deadbolt401
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3029
    RE: OAK ORCHARD FISHING ???? 2008/10/27 10:55:10 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: elephanthead

Just got back from NY and fishing the Oak. I think we we're the only ones fishing, the rest well, you have to see it to believe it !!  If you're a actually fishing for the kings and browns, don't, I REPEAT, DON'T go near the wall at rhe dam. The "Wall Monkeys" as I call them make it impossible to have a good day. From the "Pirate" running up and down the wall yelling fish on, comin down, goin up, comin across, fish off, and AAARRGGG (why I call him the pirate) to the young kid who stated he got 20 today (all drug in backwards) What a mess !! Don't take bait, all you need is weight (and plenty of it) a hook (big preferred), and a piece of yarn, sponge, or booger if you pick your own and you're in business. And, you can get 20 too ! Also, love the picture takers after one comes in upside down or backwards. Most all remembered to take the hook out of the tail before snapping. Then, there,s Burt. Actually saw more ethical fishing being done there. The Genny, well that's for another day, it's a story of it's own.  I'll never complain about Erie fishing again. Compared to NY we're saints. This was about my 8th or 9th trip to NY and most likely my last, Too stressful.... Litter, Erie has none. You want to see litter go to NY. I have to say, we've done a great job on taking more out than we brought in as the steams here are much cleaner than in the past. So, in closing I'd like to say, I did not buy a "I love NY sweatshirt"   There's no place like home.. Dave

Lmao nice man. That gave me a good laugh.
    elephanthead
    Pro Angler
    RE: OAK ORCHARD FISHING ???? 2008/10/27 11:33:47 (permalink)
    Denny, you know to be there at the opening bell to get the spot. right? There was plenty of room to fish. After this trip I'd take Burt over the Oak any day.  Have to hide behind a tree to bait your hook..plenty of everything to keep you happy. Nice bows (steelhead) too.   Dave
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3352
    RE: OAK ORCHARD FISHING ???? 2008/10/27 12:52:13 (permalink)
      There are some very nice streams near the Oak that have very little pres. even on weekends. If it was your 8-9th trip just wonderin' why would you even go near the dam?? We just took a glance once from on top ov the hill & Timmy kept screamin' fish on & we had to  get the heck out ov there purdy quick & never went near it again. Didn't see another fisherman on a stream for a Sat. & only a couple near the mouth on a sun.

Didn't see any trash on the other streams near by either.
          Good Luck
            Crappy
    Sage4wt
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 154
    RE: OAK ORCHARD FISHING ???? 2008/10/27 13:18:09 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: elephanthead

Lol, sounds like my trip. The litter is horrible up there along with most people's ethics. Still we had a good time and will probably go back but nothing beats Erie.

DAS BOOT!
    MikeThePike
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 64
    RE: OAK ORCHARD FISHING ???? 2008/10/27 15:25:35 (permalink)
    We saw the same and it'll never change. We started in Oswego Friday and worked our way west stopping at about 15 tribs along the way. Lots of water compared to last year but only a few fish here and there. Only managed 1 salmon and no trout over all that water.

Sat made it to the Oak bright and early starting at the 1st bend down from the dam watching the circus and trying to float skein/ sacs to the few trout around but nothing goin. Made our way down to find a few willing but only 1 hen steelie and a few salmon landed. No where near as many brown around as we were hoping but its early yet. Made our way to Burt where it was more of the same. Hooked a few salmon and trout and my brother landed a nice brown and a nice steelie.

Sunday was the basically the same only all fish hooked were salmon. I went 0-24 (6# tippet and the circus don't mix) and my brother went 2-12

Lets hope the brown program really starts taking off in Erie so I never hafta bother with the NY tribs from mid Sept till late Nov again
    peacymike
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 540
    RE: OAK ORCHARD FISHING ???? 2008/10/27 16:01:50 (permalink)
    18 mile creek bert dam. man all i can say i had a good time we fish  down from bert dam there . hooked many fish steelheads ,browns  and some kings. we had fun  i like to talk when i fish bring in more fun with some of the guys i don't know i had a blast. them kings are hard to land on 8 pound test line i had fun  who cares my day are going short  just have fun. take it in take it back . you youngen don't look what you leave back . i known you look and don't see . the blood boils for the fish  been there have fun . life is to short , but don't hurt anyone on the the trip  fish on
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6356
    RE: OAK ORCHARD FISHING ???? 2008/10/27 16:22:38 (permalink)
    OK!  Just a quick question here?  Where the heck are the fish wardens when all this is going on?   If they know it's a bad spot why isn't there a warden there ALL THE TIME just writing tickets and giving them away like bail out money to the big banks?  Seems things haven't changed in years.  Yet let some guy accidently foul hook a fish on another NY creek ,,,?

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    peacymike
    Expert Angler
    RE: OAK ORCHARD FISHING ???? 2008/10/27 16:33:59 (permalink)
    the kings are going to die who cares  save the steel and the browns . they know what's happen years ago snaging was there  .who cares you snag a king . i don't there going to die. have fun shut the hell up . maybe need these fish so they can have something to eat think about it . some people are not born with a silver spoon in there mouth  like i see here. you can all dream on  the dream over with  think about  you see you youngen will hurt bad and i don't give a s--t you made it bad now pay
    post edited by peacymike - 2008/10/27 16:40:52
    elephanthead
    Pro Angler
    RE: OAK ORCHARD FISHING ???? 2008/10/27 17:06:51 (permalink)
    venting about the oak - didn't elaborate on the other streams we fished nearby because of just like you said no pressure and no problems. Went down towards the sycamore hole (shameless spot burning - like it matters there) from the dam (did mostly watching @ the dam). Did well on the other nameless streams. And to Ind - Jack, don't quite get it why the fish cops don't do something when it's so widely known and obvious - maybe the $$ factor with local businesses ??  Although they could easily make their budget writing tickets. I'm just guessing but the people I saw looked like they were pros at it. (maybe locals - just guessing but if I were a betting man that's where I'd place it).   DAVE
    moooooo4me
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 339
    RE: OAK ORCHARD FISHING ???? 2008/10/27 17:09:49 (permalink)
    not sure if im right or not but when fishing in new york for kings steelies and browns isint it legal to snag fish up there
    elephanthead
    Pro Angler
    RE: OAK ORCHARD FISHING ???? 2008/10/27 17:12:21 (permalink)
    NO........NO...............NO..............NO
    pensfan1
    Pro Angler
    RE: OAK ORCHARD FISHING ???? 2008/10/27 17:27:48 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: peacymike

the kings are going to die who cares  save the steel and the browns . they know what's happen years ago snaging was there  .who cares you snag a king . i don't there going to die. have fun shut the hell up . maybe need these fish so they can have something to eat think about it . some people are not born with a silver spoon in there mouth  like i see here. you can all dream on  the dream over with  think about  you see you youngen will hurt bad and i don't give a s--t you made it bad now pay

Some guys may get a "kick" out of you as I have from time to time. No silver spoon here, sorry. We had plenity of fun on our trip. The point is what most guys do up there aint fishin. Kinda hard to get a drift with all the tight liners around you. As far as fishin for food..........Why don't you just bake a thermometer at 350 and sprinkle saw dust to taste. They don't call them mudsharks for nuthin. SO DREAM ON THAT!
    post edited by pensfan1 - 2008/10/27 17:49:46
    peacymike
    Expert Angler
    RE: OAK ORCHARD FISHING ???? 2008/10/27 18:00:04 (permalink)
    them kings are finger licking good
    swinger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1376
    RE: OAK ORCHARD FISHING ???? 2008/10/27 18:32:00 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: MikeThePike

Sunday was the basically the same only all fish hooked were salmon. I went 0-24 (6# tippet and the circus don't mix) and my brother went 2-12

Maybe try some heavier string?

Quality over quantity

I am reality

I>U

JC Rules!!!!!!!
    MikeThePike
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 64
    RE: OAK ORCHARD FISHING ???? 2008/10/27 19:58:13 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: swinger

I was there looking for trout...already had my fix of rotten mudsharks this year. I'm sure I could have landed most if I was throwing 40# test like most guys down there but to me thats just not any fun
    swinger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1376
    RE: OAK ORCHARD FISHING ???? 2008/10/27 20:43:12 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: swinger

I was there looking for trout...already had my fix of rotten mudsharks this year. I'm sure I could have landed most if I was throwing 40# test like most guys down there but to me thats just not any fun

Quality over quantity

I am reality

I>U

JC Rules!!!!!!!
    rex_of_angli
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 50
    RE: OAK ORCHARD FISHING ???? 2008/10/27 20:47:49 (permalink)
    Anad, TB would not approve of you using 10lb line. 
    genieman77
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2534
    RE: OAK ORCHARD FISHING ???? 2008/10/27 21:41:51 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: moooooo4me

not sure if im right or not but when fishing in new york for kings steelies and browns isint it legal to snag fish up there

*used* to be legal, not sure when they changed the law.

do they allow CHUMMING in NY

..l.T.A.

fishrmn
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 675
    RE: OAK ORCHARD FISHING ???? 2008/10/27 22:49:57 (permalink)
    I think the "fly fishermen" who were lining/lifting fish tend to **** me off more to be honest with you.  Don't really understand why they spend hundreds of dollers on all that fancy gear... why don't they just grab an ocean rod with 50lb braid and a camo/orange jumpsuit and go join the rest of the goons at the dam...

-Tim
    egg sac
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 517
    RE: OAK ORCHARD FISHING ???? 2008/10/27 23:18:27 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: genieman77

ORIGINAL: moooooo4me

*used* to be legal, not sure when they changed the law.

do they allow CHUMMING in NY

..l.T.A.

Chumming is not legal in NY but then again they have a ton of weird confusing laws in place for different areas and such..

SO MANY FISH SO LITTLE TIME.
    WHY ARE ALL THE PLACES I HAVE YET 2 FISH SO FAR AWAY?
    pensfan1
    Pro Angler
    RE: OAK ORCHARD FISHING ???? 2008/10/27 23:28:34 (permalink)
    I have a question. Why don't they make a law where you have to have your weight above your hook? Make the fine $100 per "slipt shot". Most of the liners would get rung up for atleast $500. You wanna talk about easy pickens. An officer could put his kids through college(Harvard at that) in one weekend. I guess this is starting to beat a dead horse. It is what it is. No matter how digusting, infuriating and down right dishearting it may be. I said this before.....Be very glad Pa. has no more salmon. No only if we can get a good return on our brown trout program. This means turn them loose. Take a picture and TURN THEM LOOSE. If you wanna eat trout go to Giant Eagle. If you want a mount, replicas last way longer than the real fish and the cost is about the same.  TURN THEM LOOSE!

Jason
    post edited by pensfan1 - 2008/10/27 23:31:04
    pafishingirl
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 29
    RE: OAK ORCHARD FISHING ???? 2008/10/27 23:29:31 (permalink)
    lol read all your post i guess oak orchard dam is that way either you love it or hate it yes i agree theres alot of litter and bad fisherman. What can you do? Me personally i love it up there theres a 12 year old up there probabily the one your talking about. Have you ever made the 10 min trip down to marsh creek alot of room to fish and not many people???
    egg sac
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 517
    RE: OAK ORCHARD FISHING ???? 2008/10/27 23:44:57 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: pensfan1

I have a question. Why don't they make a law where you have to have your weight above your hook?
    Jason

They did make this law but sadley it only applys from the gennesse river and all others east of it( aka salmon river, black river, north sandy, ect).. as I was mentioning on an earlyer post NY has some twisted laws..

SO MANY FISH SO LITTLE TIME.
    WHY ARE ALL THE PLACES I HAVE YET 2 FISH SO FAR AWAY?
    SPINNER BLADE
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 12
    RE: OAK ORCHARD FISHING ???? 2008/10/27 23:59:58 (permalink)
    What would be the reason to TURN THEM LOOSE? Do you think they will reproduce? Or would you like to see them caught over and over and over again.

Pensfan1 (quote)
    I have a question. Why don't they make a law where you have to have your weight above your hook? Make the fine $100 per "slipt shot". Most of the liners would get rung up for atleast $500. You wanna talk about easy pickens. An officer could put his kids through college(Harvard at that) in one weekend. I guess this is starting to beat a dead horse. It is what it is. No matter how digusting, infuriating and down right dishearting it may be. I said this before.....Be very glad Pa. has no more salmon. No only if we can get a good return on our brown trout program. This means turn them loose. Take a picture and TURN THEM LOOSE. If you wanna eat trout go to Giant Eagle. If you want a mount, replicas last way longer than the real fish and the cost is about the same.  TURN THEM LOO
    post edited by SPINNER BLADE - 2008/10/28 00:05:12
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8508
    RE: OAK ORCHARD FISHING ???? 2008/10/28 00:05:34 (permalink)

pensfan1
    Pro Angler
    RE: OAK ORCHARD FISHING ???? 2008/10/28 10:50:00 (permalink)
    The more turned loose as youngins, the more that will comeback bigger and bigger every year. What's the purpose in keeping a 3 - 5 lb fish? See as a fish gets older it gets bigger hence if guys realease a 3 year old fish at 5 lbs, it will come back bigger as a 4year old and so on. You won't shoot a 4 point when knowing it could be a 6 or 8 next year would you?

Jason
    glen
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 920
    RE: OAK ORCHARD FISHING ???? 2008/10/28 14:22:26 (permalink)
        DENNY, THAT'S MY FAVORITE SPOT TOO, RIGHT BELOW THE T
    I USUALLY GO AFTER THANKSGIVING, BY THEN THE SALMON MANIA IS OVER AND ACTUALLY, MOST OF THE PEOPLE THERE ARE FISHING. USUALLY DECEMBER GETS A GOOD RUN OF STEEL     GLEN
    post edited by glen - 2008/10/28 14:23:05
    Screamin Steel
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 246
    RE: OAK ORCHARD FISHING ???? 2008/10/29 03:24:14 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: fishrmn

I think the "fly fishermen" who were lining/lifting fish tend to **** me off more to be honest with you.  Don't really understand why they spend hundreds of dollers on all that fancy gear... why don't they just grab an ocean rod with 50lb braid and a camo/orange jumpsuit and go join the rest of the goons at the dam...

-Tim

You got that right. These guys are supposed to be the "upper class" of fisherman....maybe they just want to look more distinguished when they snag their fish. Of course they look just as foolish when they use 7x tippet and do nothing but lift and snap all day, then they count all their broken tippets as "hookups." Splash, splash....snap...That makes eleven hookups for me, today! Catch a limit of steelhead in Erie sometimes, and you'll be close to filling a fly box if you save all the trinkets.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: