Going searching in the Morning!!

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
chicken27
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 763
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Going searching in the Morning!! 2008/10/25 20:27:43 (permalink)
You probably couldn't hit one in the head griffon.Try it some day an let us know what happens.I would never try to shot one in the head with a bow i can barely hit them anywhere when the nerves act up but with a rifle i'll dot i's at a 100 yards all day long.
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
RE: Going searching in the Morning!! 2008/10/25 20:52:19 (permalink)
#1, Head shot deer are terrible to cook. They don't bleed out and the meat is full of blood.

#2. You Can't head shoot deer with a bow..Let me repeat...You can't head shoot deer with a bow...

#3.If you can't get good penetration Through a shoulder blade you shouldn't be hitting. Mabee wait for a better shot,,,..

As for IUP been there .. Lost a good buck once..But I made a bad shot. Lost the track in the rain..I know that sick feelin in the bottom of your belly. You seem to have done your duty to the deer and searched hard. Don't let it sour you on the bowhunting it happens to us all...
post edited by bingsbaits - 2008/10/25 20:57:38

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

chicken27
Expert Angler
RE: Going searching in the Morning!! 2008/10/25 21:42:36 (permalink)
Then what is a good shot?If you hit them in the body it destroy alot of meat so i rather not do that.
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
RE: Going searching in the Morning!! 2008/10/26 07:01:47 (permalink)
Since you can dot "i"'s at 100 yrds..Not much meat in the rib cage,only thing there would be heart and lungs..
Unless it's a jumbo buck, then I would aim for the front shoulder.Get his legs out from under him. Here in Amish country you can't let them run 50 ft...

With the bow bones can be really tough to get through. You hit at any angle at all and you will get some deflection which cuts penetration. Best to avoid the main bone masses(shoulders, hips,head).

One of the reasons I like archery. Not only do you have to get close but the deer has to give you a shot..Where as with the rifle if you can see it you can usually kill it....

Did you ever miss a head shot?? Sometimes it isn't always a hit or miss..
I went to head shoot a deer that was already hit to put her down..I was off by 3 inches and blew the poor deers lower jaw off..Made me feel like a real tool...

chicken27
Expert Angler
RE: Going searching in the Morning!! 2008/10/26 07:58:35 (permalink)
Good point bings we usally throw the rib cage away anyways.I know a guy how blow the lower jaw of a buck along time ago the pretty deer starved to death in the winter time.
BIGHEAD
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 670
RE: Going searching in the Morning!! 2008/10/26 08:17:43 (permalink)
IUP  sorry to hear all this every archery has been there and YES THAT GUT FEELING SUCKS  Sounds like you tried as hard as you could to make a good effort to find this deer and there is not much more you can do. But maybe go ask the posted area owner if you could take a looksee they may let you. That way if it is in there you could remove the deer.   KEEP YOUR HEAD UP and try again  I shot a buck one time had a good quartering away shot put that pin just at about the last rib and let the arrow go . Seen the arrow hit right where i was aiming he ran out of sight with the arrow sticking out of his rib cage. waited a little over a hour and got down and went to the last place i saw him. found little blood tracked for a  little bit and decided to back out and look look in the morning. next morning started where last seen went about another few yards he had laid down and i must have pushed him the night before. So started to track the little blood trail then nothing. looked for three hours and was ready to give up but see some really thick brush and started for it and then a doe jumped up running but i heard more noise than one deer would make. Walked a couple more steps and there he was lying down with head up STIIL ALIVE hmmmm so i shot him again and he jumped up a couple hops and down he went and die in seconds. went field dressing found that the first arrow so how went between lungs and heart and cut about a 1/2 slice in the wind pipe and busted up the far shoulder.  so   NEVER GIVE UP

KEEP"EM SCREAM"EM DAVE  ONLY CHILDERN and WOMAN use ALWIVES FOR STRIPER BAIT
startinout
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 342
RE: Going searching in the Morning!! 2008/10/26 08:54:01 (permalink)
I know how you feel, IUP.  I shot a possible wallhanger eight point two weeks ago and hit a little forward and smacked it in the front shoulder.  We followed a bloodtrail for three or four hundred yards and saw a few real nice pools  of dark blood but in the end, we never found it.  Almost the same senario, I shot it and when I got down to mark where I hit it, it started drizzling so my buddy and I took our stuff back to the truck and went after it after a half hour because I was afraid it would start raining and we would never find it in the cornfield.  We looked for four hours that night and four the next day and never found it.  I haven't taken my bow out since.  I think I'll be out again this week though, I'm not replaying the incident in my mind as much now.lol.
sugarfuzz12
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 527
RE: Going searching in the Morning!! 2008/10/26 12:29:59 (permalink)
if you missed the head by 3 inches it might be alittle more ethical to go sight your gun in so when you aim for the heart/lungs you don't hit it in the ass
IUP30
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 376
RE: Going searching in the Morning!! 2008/10/26 13:43:09 (permalink)
Thanks guys for the encouraging words -- at least I'm not the only one who's had this situation happen to them.  All I'm hoping for is that somehow my shot wasn't great and he'll make it...

Going back out Monday afternoon and will be hunting the same area but closer to some of those new rubs that I found.  I wish it wasn't my first buck either...especially since he was definitely a wall hanger. 

I've had a few people tell me about the ravens/crows - going to keep my eyes open and luckily if he's dead, they'll lead me to him. 

Still re-playing everything in my head... wish I was at full draw the first time I stopped him broadside at 15 yards.  Hindsight is always 20/20 I guess........
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
RE: Going searching in the Morning!! 2008/10/26 17:57:14 (permalink)
Fuzzy, Let's see you put em all in a 2 inch circle free hand at 75 yrds.Smart****...

chasinrainbows
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 189
RE: Going searching in the Morning!! 2008/10/26 19:24:30 (permalink)
how about drive tacks at 100 yards?
redneck steel
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 300
RE: Going searching in the Morning!! 2008/10/26 19:37:25 (permalink)
IUP sorry to hear about your luck.  Shot a buck in 2006, a real nice 9pt.  12yrd shot and hit the deer in the shoulder blade.  Got about half the arrow in the deer.  I was so excited I only gave the deer about 12-15 min. to lay down and then I started tracking.  I got lucky as the deer only made it about 60yrds and was expired.  Time is your friend weither you make a bad shot on a deer or not.  Hope you find him, even if its been a few days.
Deadbolt401
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3029
RE: Going searching in the Morning!! 2008/10/26 20:13:44 (permalink)
Yeah man, sorry to hear. Hasn't happened to me. I couldn't imagine loosing my first deer.

sugarfuzz12
Expert Angler
RE: Going searching in the Morning!! 2008/10/26 20:18:25 (permalink)
i have never claimed to be able to shoot a 2 inch group at a hundred yards but i can touch bullets at a hundred resting against something and i have never shot a deer at a hundred yards don't even know many places were you can get a shot that far since i don't hunt in fields most deer hafe been 30 to 50 yards and do you read what you guys post because ur quite the the smart asses just look how we even got on this topic in this thread and as far as the meat i never have thought of that but i also havn't really noticed a difference because i make just about all of my meat minuse the tenderloins and backstrraps into jerky slimjims and  bologna
gobyking
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1195
RE: Going searching in the Morning!! 2008/10/27 00:37:14 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: sugarfuzz12

when that  happened i was using thunderheads i now use grim reaper mechanicals and havn't had a problem since the reapers are also the broadhead i was using when i hit the deer in the head and my viens were almost coming out the other side and for everyone else i really could care less what you think ive droped numerus deer by shooting them in the head and neck with guns too so lets here you **** about that

Chicken27 quote:
I had problems with thunderheads also hit alot of deer in the shoulder blade and never got no pentration.I shoot a doe once right through the eye she want down kicking a liitle bit but never saw her get up.My oldman was driven a thicket out when he got to the well there was a doe standing there.I told him to kill it he did we walked up to it and the whole side of it head was missing.I could see this deer the whole time it was feeding and wagging its tale like nothing ever happen.I killed many with a head hit especially doe with a rifle don't want to destroy all the meat so if i can' hit them in the neck or head i won't take the shot.

Just wanted to point out these two posts again and the idiot that is behind it, Peacymike.

Get a job you bum. You are funny in a retarded way, though.
sugarfuzz12
Expert Angler
RE: Going searching in the Morning!! 2008/10/27 01:57:02 (permalink)
who is peacymike?
gobyking
Pro Angler
RE: Going searching in the Morning!! 2008/10/27 02:24:05 (permalink)
Welfare abuser.
sugarfuzz12
Expert Angler
RE: Going searching in the Morning!! 2008/10/27 02:31:56 (permalink)
Inbox From: gobyking To: sugarfuzz12 Date: 10/27/2008 2:30:46 AM Subject: ?
****, why do you keep this up? It is not even funny anymore.  
gobyking
Pro Angler
RE: Going searching in the Morning!! 2008/10/27 02:34:57 (permalink)
That's right, you are just that. You are quick Peacy. If you were that quick to get a JOB, you might actually have time not to post on here with your bul****.

I'm here all night, so if work is slow like it is, I'm all ears.
gobyking
Pro Angler
RE: Going searching in the Morning!! 2008/10/27 03:56:58 (permalink)
Any other ideas?

Her is my idea: You have nothing to do because you are a welfare scumbag. You cannot respond because you have partaken in too much alcohol.

Yep, you are passed out again, Peacy(sugarfuzz12). 

Sweet dreams(they are all wrong).
SilverKype
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3842
RE: Going searching in the Morning!! 2008/10/27 11:23:23 (permalink)
IUP

I didn't see any mention of you stating where you hit the deer.  Did you see the arrow go?    What did the deer do after the shot?  Body language?  Hunch up?  Back leg kick out?  Run down, up?    As an example, you could shoot a deer through the back leg, and have an arrow look like that with blood.  Any hair on ground or arrow?  Color of hair?  Any creeks near by?

A huge factor in where a deer (at least an older one) will go, it based on wind direction.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
PAFISHERMAN1981
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 384
RE: Going searching in the Morning!! 2008/10/27 12:41:05 (permalink)
I have pussed up my share and it does suck but you have to get back out there and try again.
Good Luck and God Bless!

AJ
IUP30
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 376
RE: Going searching in the Morning!! 2008/10/27 14:23:13 (permalink)
Kype - to be honest, it happened extremely fast.  From the time I first saw him to the shot was about a minute.  I thought I hit him right where I was aiming for him -- last rib for a quartering away.  I'm not going to lie, I was shaking from excitement/nerves so I'm not 100% positive - hence the second-guessing...and third, and fourth, etc.

He did jump and bound off...big track in the mud from where he pushed off from.  He got about 50 yards and stopped and looked back from some thick brush.  Stayed there for a minute and then I lost him as light faded out...thought I caught some slow movement moving back behind me to that old clear cut.  Checked the area thoroughly too.

There was some brown hair on the arrow.  No creeks really close to that area but some of the clear cut sometimes has some standing water after heavy rains.  The nearest that would be is about 400 - 500 yards. 
SilverKype
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3842
RE: Going searching in the Morning!! 2008/10/27 15:26:47 (permalink)
Brown hair certainly eliminates a very low hit, not leg though.   Meat on the arrow means a back strap hit.   Wagging the tail is indefinitely a solid gut shot.   However, it sounds as if this deer may be dead.  A deer dying a slow death will tuck itself up under logs and such, they do that with their antlers too.  Maybe find a point to look from.  I can only guess that the creek nearby is lower in terms of terrain than what you were.   If you're still interested in looking, and you can legally walk the creek, I would suggest doing so.   Blood lost, means thirst.  Don't be surprised to smell a carcass or even the buck.  If he was rutting, he'll be stinkin' up a storm.   While the meat may not be any good, at least you'd get some closure.  Terrain higher than you would be the last place to look.  An arrow hitting the last rib quartering away, sounds like a you may have hit part of the stomach, and liver, and the arrow exited the lower end of the diaphram, without hitting the lungs or heart but giving you that color of blood.   That's a dead deer with that kind of hit, but not instantly. 

You wouldn't happen to remember which way the wind on blowing at the time?  I know it's very difficult to remember the details.  They will generally head into or quartering the wind.  Rarely will they run with the wind direction, especially a buck.  He probably continued to try to follow the doe too.  He probably eventually went in her direction. 

Whatever the case, GL with this one or the next.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
chasinrainbows
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 189
RE: Going searching in the Morning!! 2008/10/27 16:41:55 (permalink)
my post was towards bings, nothing wrong with shooting them in the neck or head, saves meat.
MuskyMastr
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3032
RE: Going searching in the Morning!! 2008/10/29 00:18:01 (permalink)
That arrow looks to me like it had a lot of fat smear the blood into the way it looks on the arrow.  Just found this post tonight as I have been in WVA slinging arrows, but I would guess a borderline cavity hit where there was a lot of fat, high liver. Hard to guess, just looks like some fat smeared on there as well.  Sorry about your luck.  My guess is that he is laying on that posted property, they know in a hurry where safe is.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: