Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
IUP30
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 376
  • Reward points: 0
2008/10/24 21:17:46 (permalink)

Going searching in the Morning!!

Let an arrow fly at my first buck tonight -- nice 8 point as he was quartering away at 20 yards.  Good blood on the arrow but when I got down I couldn't find any blood in the immediate area so backed out.  I was shaking like crazy but still pretty confident I put a good shot on.  Still shaking... and extremely nervous! 

He was chasing a doe -- about 2 minutes behind her and luckily he came closer to me than she did.  So excited right now but ****ed this rain is coming.  Hopefully he's right where I lost sight of him. 

I need some luck guys - this will be my first buck ever if I can recover him and second bow kill.  Here's a pic of the arrow...  what do ya think?

55 Replies Related Threads

Martin Shooter
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 106
    RE: Going searching in the Morning!! 2008/10/24 21:46:31 (permalink)
    I personally probably would have waited for an hour or two after the shot and then went out looking for him. With the steady heavy rain we're supposed to be getting soon and tomorrow morning, you may be some in for some very hard tracking. I'd go now if I were you. Hope you find him! Can't help you with the blood on the arrow... colorblind..can't really tell if it's dark or light..looks normal red?
    gobyking
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1195
    RE: Going searching in the Morning!! 2008/10/24 22:11:02 (permalink)
    Hard to tell but I agree. GO NOW!!!!

Chances of finding him after the rain which here is heavy now, is slim. Take some buddies and bring extra flashlights or batteries. No sense in finding him later on next week no good to anyone.
    IUP30
    Expert Angler
    RE: Going searching in the Morning!! 2008/10/24 22:18:37 (permalink)
    K - I'm going.  I'll give an update tomorrow.
    FiveDog
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 16
    RE: Going searching in the Morning!! 2008/10/24 22:37:49 (permalink)
    If you ever let one go overnight and ate it, you would definitely be looking for it tonight.  Take a lantern rather than a flashlight.
    sugarfuzz12
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 527
    RE: Going searching in the Morning!! 2008/10/24 22:42:16 (permalink)
    hope you get it and good luck with not catching hell on here about hitting one and not getting it in the next 5 minutes cuz i asked a simalar question and i got to see who all the dumb aholes are on this site
    gobyking
    Pro Angler
    RE: Going searching in the Morning!! 2008/10/24 22:49:41 (permalink)
    LOL

IT IS RAINING OR GOING TO RAIN!!!!!!!

Common sense tells you to go after it. You just don't have that in terms of ethical shots, not sure about tracking though.
    sugarfuzz12
    Expert Angler
    RE: Going searching in the Morning!! 2008/10/24 22:51:43 (permalink)
    ya ok but he didn't mention were he hit it and wasn't that your big **** because i wasn't sure? 
    gobyking
    Pro Angler
    RE: Going searching in the Morning!! 2008/10/24 23:08:33 (permalink)
    I saw blood on the FLETCHINGS of the arrow which tends to lead you to a pass through. He didn't say it was a 2-3" penitration. And besides, he has much more of a chance finding the deer if he didn't hit it in the head.

I'm sure you weren't aiming for the head which begs the question: Why did you hit it in the head?

And why did you not pursue one of the deer you hit more persistently?
    sugarfuzz12
    Expert Angler
    RE: Going searching in the Morning!! 2008/10/24 23:14:39 (permalink)
    for one this year i did get pass through and the one i shot in the head was dead before it hit the ground which is more humane that hitting one in heart/lungs and letting it run for 50 yards and i aimed at the head because it wouldn't come out from behind a tree and i knew i would drop it or miss clean which is humane and i'm pretty sure i said this before so get ur facts straight before you start flappen you gums
    gobyking
    Pro Angler
    RE: Going searching in the Morning!! 2008/10/24 23:18:52 (permalink)
    You are a modern day William Tell.

Good shot!!!
    sugarfuzz12
    Expert Angler
    RE: Going searching in the Morning!! 2008/10/24 23:20:08 (permalink)
    and your a modern day smartass know it all good coments
    gobyking
    Pro Angler
    RE: Going searching in the Morning!! 2008/10/24 23:27:03 (permalink)
    Hey, I have shot all my deer with a bow in the proper spot and a few with a slug gun and rifle which fell in their tracks. Granted, it is not as many as Musky,DPMS, or some of the other proficient archers here. But I have recovered all of them. NEVER have I shirked from searching for them and I have lost the trail many times and a few times called friends for help while tracking a bow shot deer.

The worst thing that can happen is that an animal is not recovered and goes to waste.
    sugarfuzz12
    Expert Angler
    RE: Going searching in the Morning!! 2008/10/24 23:32:55 (permalink)
    ya well can't say ive had one go to waste since the one with 2 inch penetration was a good shot and got killed durin rifle season and the guy on the next farm down got a trail camera pic of the one hit a couple of weeks ago and said hes just missen a lil fur off his back and were you hunt that you get all these perfect shots 15 yards cuz i'll see you u there nexty week? 
    gobyking
    Pro Angler
    RE: Going searching in the Morning!! 2008/10/24 23:41:35 (permalink)
    ya well- Glad to see the one with 2 inch penetration got taken. I never said 15 yard shots for me, most were taken a bit further.

Oh, and you can come to Area 2B anytime, I'm sure a lot of people will give you permission to hunt, bring your crossbow.
    McFishin
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 199
    RE: Going searching in the Morning!! 2008/10/25 00:18:04 (permalink)
    from the looks of the arrow, i would say good blood...your making the right choice by going looking for him now though...but if he was quartering away and you have pass though(which you have) with no gut on the arrow(which i dont see) then i'm going to take the guess that he ran about 74yards and expired....quartering away is in the top 3 deadly shots next to a straight heart shot and double lung....and as far as the above argument goes, a head shot may not be considered ethical by many, but i cant agree more that it is the deadliest shot of all...drop them everytime...killed a doe like that with a muzzleloader couple years back...
    griffon
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1104
    RE: Going searching in the Morning!! 2008/10/25 08:58:05 (permalink)
    IUP,  Great job.  That is a dead deer.  I hope you were able to find him last night before the rain.  If not, you have a couple of options.  It helps if you have a GPS and can use the track feature for both.  Either start by making concentric circles outward 20-30 yards from one another or begin to cover grids.  If you do grids, make your #1 axis searches first, then come back with your #2 axis searches when you are satisfied.  Don't be afraid to search back behind your location of where you think he may have gone.  He would not be the first big buck to circle back and die.  Honestly however, you should find him within 100 yards of the shot if that arrow is telling the accurate story.

As for sugarfuzz, everytime I read your posts... all I want to do is .  It seems that you are alone on an island and many have tried to point this out to you.  Take some advice, open your ears and accept the criticisms you have received as they are real and accurate. 
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4011
    RE: Going searching in the Morning!! 2008/10/25 10:27:25 (permalink)
    Hopefully we get some good news IUP but since there is no post from last night, you got me worried.  I'll keep my fingers crossed.

To sugar, a head shot with an arrow should never, ever be taken.  I think you will find it difficult if not impossible to find one professional, expert, or otherwise who would agree with you.  I'll leave it at that.
    sugarfuzz12
    Expert Angler
    RE: Going searching in the Morning!! 2008/10/25 11:06:13 (permalink)
    i have never said on here one time i would do it again all i was doing was maken a point that i got almost got passthrough hitting all the bone there and my arrow bearly went into a deer with different broadheads and the deer dropped in its tracks and you guys keep sayen stuff and asuming stuff if u havn't read the post before after what happened and i switched broadheads i figured might as well iether drop it or clean miss instead of hitting one perfect and watch it not even flinch take to steps and arrow fall out as it is walking away like nothing happened
    chicken27
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 763
    RE: Going searching in the Morning!! 2008/10/25 11:08:28 (permalink)
    What broadhead was you using when that happen sugar?Pay no attention to gobyking he always has something smart to say.I think he thinks he is a expert or something.
    sugarfuzz12
    Expert Angler
    RE: Going searching in the Morning!! 2008/10/25 11:12:15 (permalink)
    when that  happened i was using thunderheads i now use grim reaper mechanicals and havn't had a problem since the reapers are also the broadhead i was using when i hit the deer in the head and my viens were almost coming out the other side and for everyone else i really could care less what you think ive droped numerus deer by shooting them in the head and neck with guns too so lets here you **** about that
    chicken27
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 763
    RE: Going searching in the Morning!! 2008/10/25 11:33:44 (permalink)
    I had problems with thunderheads also hit alot of deer in the shoulder blade and never got no pentration.I shoot a doe once right through the eye she want down kicking a liitle bit but never saw her get up.My oldman was driven a thicket out when he got to the well there was a doe standing there.I told him to kill it he did we walked up to it and the whole side of it head was missing.I could see this deer the whole time it was feeding and wagging its tale like nothing ever happen.I killed many with a head hit especially doe with a rifle don't want to destroy all the meat so if i can' hit them in the neck or head i won't take the shot.
    redneck steel
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 300
    RE: Going searching in the Morning!! 2008/10/25 11:40:55 (permalink)
    IUP, was there any bubbles with the blood on the vanes after the shot?   Hope ya get'em!!
    IUP30
    Expert Angler
    RE: Going searching in the Morning!! 2008/10/25 13:35:49 (permalink)
    Well no good news, guys.   Seriously depressed right now.  Searched for a while last night but the rain seemed to wash any blood away.  Came back this morning with 2 other guys and searched the area thoroughly.  Walked grids up to 500 yards out - I mean we walked everywhere.  Even behind the area I shot him thinking maybe he swung around and went back to a thick 15 year old clear cut that people can barely make it through.  Crawled through there... Went literally everywhere in that area except for the posted area adjoining the property I was hunting on. 

So my next question - what do you guys do if you think they went into a posted area?  The owners of this area are anti hunting also so I wasn't about to push things.  He could have gone into here but it's about 250 yards away from where I shot him.

I think I pushed him last night maybe.  I dunno - I'm re-playing the whole scenario in my head over and over.  Did I rush the shot?  Did I hit him good?  Where exactly did I hit him?  It all happened so fast an my adrenaline was pumping an I was shaking...

I just can't describe the feeling I have in my stomach right now.  I would have been ten times happier if I had just missed him totally or if he jumped the string.  The thought of him dead out there and not found is driving me crazy.  Guess I'm gonna go looking again this afternoon.

Griff - good point on the GPS... going to use it later to really make sure I've covered everything.

On a good note, in all the searching, I've covered a lot more of the woods and places I've not walked before... found some good rubs and potential stand sites.  Just wonder if they were mainly from the one I shot at...

Seriously the worst feeling ever right now...............................
    IUP30
    Expert Angler
    RE: Going searching in the Morning!! 2008/10/25 13:40:09 (permalink)
    Redneck - I waited a good 20 minutes after the shot before I got down to check the arrow.  Didn't see any bubbles on it - it was the first thing I was looking for.  Mainly the reason why I backed out that night since I'm not sure how long the bubbles stay on the arrow after the shot.  I thought it looked good but like I said, I'm second-quessing everything now. 

Anyone know how long the bubbles will stay on the fletchings after the shot?  How long do you guys typically wait after you shoot to check the arrow?

Deadbolt401
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3029
    RE: Going searching in the Morning!! 2008/10/25 13:41:30 (permalink)
    Man, that really sucks dude,

I don't know what to tell you. Look and look is all I can say I guess.

I know my deer literally went the polar opposite of what I thought, guess when your shot you run anywhere.

That rain blows, all I can say is at least it's on the weekend, and to keep pushing dude.
    IUP30
    Expert Angler
    RE: Going searching in the Morning!! 2008/10/25 19:13:58 (permalink)
    Still no luck...
    griffon
    Pro Angler
    RE: Going searching in the Morning!! 2008/10/25 20:00:39 (permalink)
    IUP,  That really sucks...  You have done everything properly it sounds like.  Rain can be (and usually is) an archer's worst enemy.  There is a possibility however.  I don't know if you saw your arrow hit, but you may have actually hit very low.  Sometimes this hit will be fatal, sometimes not... but the deer always goes a long way (particularly if you think you may have pushed him).  That hit will show the same sign on the arrow as a quick-lethal hit will.  Regardless, shake it off and go after another one.  FYI, you can always watch for crows in the area over the next few days as they will find the deer if he dies.  As for the private property, you need to follow your own instincts as each situation is different. Good Luck, Griffon.
    griffon
    Pro Angler
    RE: Going searching in the Morning!! 2008/10/25 20:03:50 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: chicken27

I had problems with thunderheads also hit alot of deer in the shoulder blade and never got no pentration.I shoot a doe once right through the eye she want down kicking a liitle bit but never saw her get up.My oldman was driven a thicket out when he got to the well there was a doe standing there.I told him to kill it he did we walked up to it and the whole side of it head was missing.I could see this deer the whole time it was feeding and wagging its tale like nothing ever happen.I killed many with a head hit especially doe with a rifle don't want to destroy all the meat so if i can' hit them in the neck or head i won't take the shot.

I expect we will read about you and fuzzy winning Darwin Awards some day...
    post edited by griffon - 2008/10/25 20:05:52
    griffon
    Pro Angler
    RE: Going searching in the Morning!! 2008/10/25 20:05:24 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: sugarfuzz12

i have never said on here one time i would do it again all i was doing was maken a point that i got almost got passthrough hitting all the bone there and my arrow bearly went into a deer with different broadheads and the deer dropped in its tracks and you guys keep sayen stuff and asuming stuff if u havn't read the post before after what happened and i switched broadheads i figured might as well iether drop it or clean miss instead of hitting one perfect and watch it not even flinch take to steps and arrow fall out as it is walking away like nothing happened

and one more time...
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: