Magic Strike Indicators ("Floats")

Author
MackJ
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 522
  • Reward points: 0
2008/10/20 09:50:16 (permalink)

Magic Strike Indicators ("Floats")

A friend asked me if I knew what a "float" was.  I thought they meant a strike indicator, but they explained that while fishing this weekend, some fellow nearby was smashing the fish using the same fly as my friend.  Thinking that the other guy was just more experienced, I suggested this as a good explanation, but the friend persisted.  The suspicion on the part of my friend was that the other angler had a magic indicator which was described as looking pretty much like a small bobber, but the fellow using it refered to it as a "float" and something was overheard that it might have contained "little balls" or something like that.  I'm at a loss, can anyone decipher this?

28 Replies Related Threads

Stillhead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1887
    RE: Magic Strike Indicators ("Floats") 2008/10/20 11:14:23 (permalink)
    There isn't anything magic about them, but there is a new strike indicator/float/bobber (call it what you want) that is basically a small plastic ball with a ring on the side to attach it to the line. I guess this is what your friend was talking about. I can't remember what they are called.

I think your original guess is correct, the guy catching the fish was just more experienced. Your friend should not have had too much trouble getting into fish this weekend.
    Deadbolt401
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3029
    RE: Magic Strike Indicators ("Floats") 2008/10/20 12:42:43 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Stillhead

There isn't anything magic about them, but there is a new strike indicator/float/bobber (call it what you want) that is basically a small plastic ball with a ring on the side to attach it to the line. I guess this is what your friend was talking about. I can't remember what they are called.

I think your original guess is correct, the guy catching the fish was just more experienced. Your friend should not have had too much trouble getting into fish this weekend.

Yeah they're alright, nothing majikk about them.

Maybe they were blessed by guru?

But the other fisherman was probably more experienced
    MackJ
    Expert Angler
    RE: Magic Strike Indicators ("Floats") 2008/10/20 12:46:16 (permalink)
    Well I know with my own steelheading that an experienced angler can catch fish all around me when I am only having fair results.  In fact, I watched an experienced noodle rodder fishing flies under an indicator catch many more than me in the same run.  I stared at his bobber floating down the run and he would strike and hook a fish before I even suspected a take had occured.  So my thoughts were that exactly this was the situation.  That is, that the friend was just not recognizing strikes when they happen.  Yet, still, it seems if there was an indicator that was perhaps more sensitive or gave out an audible click when the drift was disturbed it might help someone like my friend or even myself to recognize strikes they are otherwise missing.

The cryptic mention of "little balls" made me think about there being some mechanism for emitting a sound.  This doesn't ring a bell for anyone about what may have been in use?  Of course, I can't entirely dismiss that magic was involved, I just would rather find a logical explanation first.
    post edited by MackJ - 2008/10/20 12:50:17
    Deadbolt401
    Pro Angler
    RE: Magic Strike Indicators ("Floats") 2008/10/20 12:53:11 (permalink)
    Well dude, I can't think of any, and Still is one of the tops guys on the board from what I've read, and if he hasn't it's probably a longshot they exist.

Dude, it kuld be majikk?!

R ewe a wizcard?>
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: Magic Strike Indicators ("Floats") 2008/10/20 13:34:28 (permalink)

honestly... might be these
    http://forums.fishusa.com/Have_anyone_used_this_indicater/m_122766/tm.htm

i get very iffy when you mention 1 person having tons of hook ups when no-one else is catching any and the indicator isn't moving
    lifting?

indicator fishing is not a 1 sided thing.. there are different techs
    Deadbolt401
    Pro Angler
    RE: Magic Strike Indicators ("Floats") 2008/10/20 13:49:20 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: KJH807

honestly... might be these
    http://forums.fishusa.com/Have_anyone_used_this_indicater/m_122766/tm.htm

i get very iffy when you mention 1 person having tons of hook ups when no-one else is catching any and the indicator isn't moving
    lifting?

indicator fishing is not a 1 sided thing.. there are different techs

Yeah dude, thats what I was going for, they're good floats, but kinda Expensive.
    MackJ
    Expert Angler
    RE: Magic Strike Indicators ("Floats") 2008/10/20 13:56:57 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: KJH807

lifting?

Only speaking for my experience, it wasn't that no one else was catching, this noodle-rod guy was just having greater success than most.  The hookups were fair and the water that day was chalky green Thanksgiving water, so if he was lifting, then there definitely was magic involved. 

The friend did catch some fish and so did others.  I really didn't get the story as if he were the only one hooking up, just that he seemed to be doing better and my friend suspected the "float" had some bearing on it.
    steelhead4ever
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 129
    RE: Magic Strike Indicators ("Floats") 2008/10/20 14:27:16 (permalink)
    Mack, there is a good possibility that the Angler was watching his fly, and not his float. Sometimes, especially in the right water conditions, you can use your float to control your drift as well a strike indicator. Changing how your float is actually moving downstream will change your presentation to the fish. Get what i'm sayin?

ORIGINAL: MackJ

Well I know with my own steelheading that an experienced angler can catch fish all around me when I am only having fair results.  In fact, I watched an experienced noodle rodder fishing flies under an indicator catch many more than me in the same run.  I stared at his bobber floating down the run and he would strike and hook a fish before I even suspected a take had occured.  So my thoughts were that exactly this was the situation.  That is, that the friend was just not recognizing strikes when they happen.  Yet, still, it seems if there was an indicator that was perhaps more sensitive or gave out an audible click when the drift was disturbed it might help someone like my friend or even myself to recognize strikes they are otherwise missing.

The cryptic mention of "little balls" made me think about there being some mechanism for emitting a sound.  This doesn't ring a bell for anyone about what may have been in use?  Of course, I can't entirely dismiss that magic was involved, I just would rather find a logical explanation first.
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    RE: Magic Strike Indicators ("Floats") 2008/10/20 14:46:56 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: steelhead4ever

Mack, there is a good possibility that the Angler was watching his fly, and not his float. Sometimes, especially in the right water conditions, you can use your float to control your drift as well a strike indicator. Changing how your float is actually moving downstream will change your presentation to the fish. Get what i'm sayin?

And sometimes you get inthat perfect slot where the fish are stacked.  And 8 feet to the left or right, just doesn't produce.
    MackJ
    Expert Angler
    RE: Magic Strike Indicators ("Floats") 2008/10/20 14:56:12 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: D-nymph
    And sometimes you get inthat perfect slot where the fish are stacked.  And 8 feet to the left or right, just doesn't produce.

This much is also true and you know this is the case when the other person never seems to need to take a leak. 
    Dream Catcher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1567
    RE: Magic Strike Indicators ("Floats") 2008/10/20 15:43:32 (permalink)
    Perhaps it wasn't the magic float but the magic line ? What leader material was used by you or your friend?Was the weight above the presentation the same or used ? Was the wind pushing a larger float slower as it decended down stream? What was the distance from the bobber , float , strike indicator to your fly / bait? Many variables .....Food 4 thought .
    post edited by Dream Catcher - 2008/10/20 15:59:37
    MackJ
    Expert Angler
    RE: Magic Strike Indicators ("Floats") 2008/10/20 16:23:33 (permalink)
    All good thoughts, but not what I was focusing on.  Just wondered if the vague description of the indicator/float would call to mind a particular type of bobber.  Maybe a clarification on the "little balls" reference is in order, but I think that was all that they picked up on.  I suppose if it was important, they could have asked to see it.  I just thought it was something I hadn't heard about that would immediately ring a bell from someone here.
    steelheadman28
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 393
    RE: Magic Strike Indicators ("Floats") 2008/10/20 18:08:25 (permalink)
    At PR they have a bunch of indicators try them all out and see which ones you like.
    post edited by steelheadman28 - 2008/11/01 17:26:38
    tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4334
    RE: Magic Strike Indicators ("Floats") 2008/10/20 21:21:05 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Deadbolt401

Well dude, I can't think of any, and Still is one of the tops guys on the board from what I've read, and if he hasn't it's probably a longshot they exist.

R ewe a wizcard?>

Duud u speld dUud rong

I have the right to remain silent.....I just don't have the ability
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6356
    RE: Magic Strike Indicators ("Floats") 2008/10/20 22:55:38 (permalink)
    Mack,
        I have seen people who use the long floats when they fish for steel because it allows them to stack more shot to control their drift better.  The long extended tip is much more sensitive yet it will float more weight than a conventional "strike indicator"  My guess is the lucky fisherman was very experienced with his rig, had experimented to get just the right drift, and was watching his float for the slightest indication of a hange in motion.  If you really know your rig your success rate will go up immensly. 
        Fo example:  I'm a sight fisherman.  I cast directly to most fish and I really watch my fly and the tiny, rubber indicator I use.  When I have to blind fish my success rate goes down because I'm not used to that type of fishing or the rigging.   Soo my vote goes for experience and technique.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    Screamin Steel
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 246
    RE: Magic Strike Indicators ("Floats") 2008/10/21 00:25:34 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: anadromous

Mack,
    That indicator is  a joint venture between Chris Angel(mind freak) and RONCO. It will hit the market around Christmas. This new indicator is said to telepathically let you know when a fish has picked up your offering. The coolest part is before you land the fish you tell your fishing buddy the name of someone near and dear to you. Once the fish is landed the name of that person will be on the lateral line of the fish....amazing to say the least.

LMAO....I don't care who you are...that's funny right there!
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8508
    RE: Magic Strike Indicators ("Floats") 2008/10/21 08:19:48 (permalink)
    Dream Catcher, I liked the float you used at dark. Cool..!

elephanthead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1057
    RE: Magic Strike Indicators ("Floats") 2008/10/21 09:05:15 (permalink)
    Kev, that looks real user friendly - "not" - there's always the next latest, greatest thing. When will it end ??  Never I guess.....I'm done buying every new gadget that comes to market. I think anyway LOL   Dave
    Deadbolt401
    Pro Angler
    RE: Magic Strike Indicators ("Floats") 2008/10/21 10:58:14 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: tippy-toe

R ewe a wizcard?>

Duud u speld dUud rong

lol where you been duUD, haven't seen you round?
    Dream Catcher
    Pro Angler
    RE: Magic Strike Indicators ("Floats") 2008/10/21 13:14:19 (permalink)
    DuuDD ITz A bOoBBEr knNOt A fLOaat! Hopefully we can share some more drifts sometime I really enjoyed everyones company. SuM CoOL DuDZ OOn DeMM WaTTeRs. Cant wait - DC
    Ax
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 450
    RE: Magic Strike Indicators ("Floats") 2008/10/21 13:15:53 (permalink)
    DC heading up this weekend.  If your around give me a call dude!!!!!!!!!  Break out the Flatfish. lol

whaler
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 7
    RE: Magic Strike Indicators ("Floats") 2008/10/26 22:10:38 (permalink)
    called a " thing -a -may - bob". bought mine down in Aspinwall. they don't have em at pr. come in several different sizes, and colors. they work well, and are easy to use.
    tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4334
    RE: Magic Strike Indicators ("Floats") 2008/10/26 22:14:47 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: tippy-toe

R ewe a wizcard?>

Duud u speld dUud rong

lol where you been duUD, haven't seen you round?

my computer took a $hit....I had to borow a laptop while I wait for a hard drive...

I have the right to remain silent.....I just don't have the ability
    joedv1218
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 206
    RE: Magic Strike Indicators ("Floats") 2008/10/26 22:18:03 (permalink)

Jesus said, "I tell you the truth, No one can see the Kingdom of God unless he is born again." John 3:3

"Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God."~by Tony Blake~
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8508
    RE: Magic Strike Indicators ("Floats") 2008/10/26 23:51:14 (permalink)

Dream,
    Was it us or the borbon. lol

Dream Catcher
    Pro Angler
    RE: Magic Strike Indicators ("Floats") 2008/11/01 15:00:03 (permalink)
    We all can share . Jimmy Beam , Jack Daniels , John , Tom , Jerry ..... it's amazing how a little bourbon can liven up the crowd . LOL Hope to catch you & Gizmos on the water soon.
    beerman
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1314
    RE: Magic Strike Indicators ("Floats") 2008/11/02 20:24:31 (permalink)

changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes....nothing remains quite the same

The Beerman ~ Greg
    beerman
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1314
    RE: Magic Strike Indicators ("Floats") 2008/11/02 21:49:35 (permalink)
    Thanks for the reply, anadromous!

changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes....nothing remains quite the same

The Beerman ~ Greg
    Jump to: