need some advice.....

Author
coolerfull1
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 257
  • Reward points: 0
2007/05/29 16:58:58 (permalink)

need some advice.....

I'm heading up to preque isle in a couple of weeks trying for some smallies.  14' boat 10 hp, with a few bells and whistles....nothing fancy.  Can anyone give me some advice on where to launch and fish.  Be as precise as you would like, I'm not that greatly familiar with that area.  I've been there before on a bigger boat my buddy has and we went out into the lake.  I can't remember where we launched, but I figure I won't travel way out on my boat.  Any tips, advice, and so on will be appreciated.

Thanks

14 Replies Related Threads

spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: need some advice..... 2007/05/29 17:19:10 (permalink)

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1834
    RE: need some advice..... 2007/05/29 17:22:47 (permalink)
    bring your flares too...

CB
    I never thought I'd say this, but I love my Sport-Craft!
    coolerfull1
    Expert Angler
    RE: need some advice..... 2007/05/29 19:18:20 (permalink)
    thanks for the link, but I wanted some advise that could make my trip more direct and clear cut by getting some experienced advice.  I'm only going to have one day and don't want to drive and guess.  anything less than a crapshoot.  btw, is there anything special I need on my boat there that I don't normally need? 
    Finster
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 184
    RE: need some advice..... 2007/05/29 19:26:06 (permalink)
    If you go out on the lake in that boat, you have more guts than me. I would stick to the bay or very near the shoreline. Erie is not the place to be in a small underpowered boat if the waves start to kick up. I was in 3 footers last week and it was making me a little nervous. My boat is a 16 foot  deep V, a 40 and a 9.9 kicker with all the extras. I was getting beat up pretty good about 3 miles out, so much that I came in.  Also, I would have a ship to shore radio. Just for safety.  The bay and shoreline are where the bass have been anyway. Make sure you check the conditions before you put in. Good luck and keep an eye on the sky.
    PumaJeff
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 22
    RE: need some advice..... 2007/05/29 19:35:20 (permalink)
    With a handle such as you have, I'm supposed to tell you where to catch those beautiful brown fish!!!

OK! You should find them between the shorelines.
    2dog
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 468
    RE: need some advice..... 2007/05/29 21:07:17 (permalink)
    Check this map out its of the bay.
    http://www.fishusa.com/FishErie/Map9.asp
    Like Finster said you would be better off staying off the lake itself.
    *commander*
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2647
    RE: need some advice..... 2007/05/29 21:24:25 (permalink)
    not trying to tell you what to do, just trying to save you some trouble. a 14ft boat on the lake or the bay can be a recipe for disaster. keep your life vest on.
    Finster
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 184
    RE: need some advice..... 2007/05/29 22:48:20 (permalink)
    Just as an added blurb, the water temp is in the mid 50's? If you would capsize, how long do you have? Not long, 20 min maybe. After that hypothermia (spelling?) will set in and unless your very lucky, it's over. I'm not trying to scare you or tell you not to enjoy Erie, I'm just being very blunt. So please do not take it the wrong way. I'm just adding a thought. To be honest, I don't think my boat (16') is big enough for that lake. Before I go out, I check the weather, If N.O.A.A  does not say 2 feet or less, I stay home. When I am out, I check the weather often on my radio. If the waves kick up and I'm out a few miles I head close to shore or the dock.
    mr.fisherman
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 169
    RE: need some advice..... 2007/05/29 23:33:24 (permalink)
    You must have been there and done that, huh?

ORIGINAL: *commander*

not trying to tell you what to do, just trying to save you some trouble. a 14ft boat on the lake or the bay can be a recipe for disaster. keep your life vest on.
    coolerfull1
    Expert Angler
    RE: need some advice..... 2007/05/30 07:08:45 (permalink)
    I thought it would be ok to stay in the bay and fish the shorelines from my boat....maybe it would be easier to just leave it at home and do some wading.  I do a good bit of steelhead fishing but never made it to the bay this time of year for the smallies.  I hear alot about the action and just wondered how true it was.  I used to hear guys talk about the smallies running into the creeks now I mainly hear about catching them in the lake.  Well, I'm still open to suggestions about bait and where to fish.  I heard the shore fishing can be good by some monument...that's about the extent of my knowledge.
    jerminator7777
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 409
    RE: need some advice..... 2007/05/30 17:26:28 (permalink)
    I would launch from Marina Bay Launch and head out to the left in the shallows. Also, out from the Perry Monument is good if find where the shallow sandy/weedy part drops off into a little deeper weeds. Should throw shallow diving crankbaits, rattle traps, jigs with twister tails, jerkbaits, more jerkbaits, and more jerkbaits. But like in the other posts ^, watch out for the waves up there. They can be pretty bad even in the Bay, but don't be afraid to take your boat out. Those spots are close to Launch. 

P.S
    Inside Marina Bay is pretty great for good sized largemouths (15 and up).
    post edited by jerminator7777 - 2007/05/30 17:29:03
    *commander*
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2647
    RE: need some advice..... 2007/05/30 21:15:11 (permalink)
    while that doesnt make any sense i do appreciate you responding to my posts. thank you for your support. youre the best fisherman ever.
    Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1834
    RE: need some advice..... 2007/05/31 11:40:51 (permalink)
    wow...he went from asking for some advice to now we are predicting his untimly death...

ive seen 14ft boats out in 50ft of water perch fishing...watch the weather and you cannot hesitate if you see a change in the weather pattern...Wind shifts dark clouds all indications things could get hairy...

There are days where you could take a row boat out...and others i wouldnt want to be in an ocean liner....just be careful and aware of your surroundings.

USE EXTREME CAUTION...LAKE ERIE IS DANGEROUS...enough said....

CB
    I never thought I'd say this, but I love my Sport-Craft!
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: need some advice..... 2007/05/31 12:57:16 (permalink)
    C.B.

No doubt there are plenty of days that his boat is sufficient. But, you know that a boat that size, with limited retreat capacity, must be particularlly aware of the the lake's ability to become very dangerous, very quickly. Experienced Erie boaters feel obligated to provide newcomers with this awareness. The statement " I only have one day" sends up a red flag, as one might be inclined to push the envelope a bit. In a few of my own trips to lake Ontario, I may not have pushed the safety limits of my boat, but I have certainly pushed the comfort limits of myself, and my crew. It is human nature not to want to "waste" the trip. Hanging in there for as little as 15 minutes, to get that 6th Eye, or 30th perch, because it is your only trip can be a perilous choice.

Kill,

The link I provided lists the launches, ( and their discription) allowing you to choose which best suits you. As far as "directing" you where to fish. Some folks may try, but it is nearly impossible, not knowing when you will be there, or the conditions you'll face. I could give you exact GPS coordinates to where I caught fish today, and tomorrow you may catch nothing. If you are a Smallmouth fisherman, and are targetting Smallmouth. Get a map of the lake, and seek out waters that you would typically find them at the same time, and in the same conditions, on your home lake. That's the best advice I could give you for ANY body of water.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    Jump to: