Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
wilber
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 6
  • Reward points: 0
2007/05/28 11:01:07 (permalink)

It's a Big Lake!! Back Off!!!

Some of you are lucky enough to have big fast boats, most of us are not so privileged.

Your large pocket book does not make up for small gentals or a complete lack of skill. Running your 300hp prized toy up to - and parking next to fisherman in waders (or other boats) will not help you catch any more fish.

First of all, no wake means NO WAKE!!! If you wanna drive like an ****hole do it where it won't bother anyone else. Secondly, if I can cast into your boat you are WAY too close. There are plenty of fish all over every inch of this big beautiful lake/bay, show some respect and find your own little hole.

Within fifteen minutes of being in the water this morning I had three of you coc$suc*ers in my face casting directly to my lure. One guy was so ignorant he nearly hit both of the other boats!!! None of you caught a **** thing. The entire bay is like glass and full of fat hungry bass, what could possibly be the attaction of crowding the guy who is limited to a few hundred yards of shorline?

Those of you who know better, sorry for the rant.

35 Replies Related Threads

chrisrowboat
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 688
    RE: It's a Big Lake!! Back Off!!! 2007/05/28 11:31:25 (permalink)
    Wilber,
    If it is a case of your safety, or your 100% certain wake in the no wake zone, I would call the Park Ranger on your cell or the WCO's. Get their boat ID. Numbers. I know, I've done that in the past.
    A call on the cell phone works wonders.
    Chris
    T.T.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1656
    RE: It's a Big Lake!! Back Off!!! 2007/05/28 12:28:25 (permalink)
    So does a 2oz. sinker up-side the head.  No hook, of course, just lead.
    *commander*
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2647
    RE: It's a Big Lake!! Back Off!!! 2007/05/28 12:54:29 (permalink)
    2 oz slip sinker never hurts. theyll think twice next time. might wanna get the heck out of Dodge before the authorities come if you clunk one of them. probably a tourney going on. those guys crack me up. i find it really funny when they have shirts on like theyre the Bassmasters. i rarely ever fish the weekends but i was at lake arthur a year ago on a weekend and no tourney going on but tons of guys launching at 528 launch with shirts on like they were gonna be on ESPN.

as far as lake erie goes, its hard to believe you can run into traffic. we were trolling along about 8 miles out in what seemed to be in the middle of nowhere, when out of nowhere comes a boat running about 6 lines and 3 guys all sitting facing the back of the boat. must have had the autopilot running. they start yelling that we were cutting them off. while we were laughing at them the one guy gets this bright idea to write down or act like he's writing down the numbers on our boat, and tells us he's going to notify the coast guard. we snapped a picture of the 3 stooges with a camera and ACTED like we were writing down their numbers. needless to say the one stooge got up and changed course and nothing came of it. i have no problem moving out of somebodys way, but this boat came out of nowhere and all but ran into us. hard to believe it can happen on a body of water so big, but it does.
    T.T.
    Pro Angler
    RE: It's a Big Lake!! Back Off!!! 2007/05/28 13:19:41 (permalink)
    Okay.  I see your point.  I guess you might just have to think of it as a bigger version of The Stop Sign Hole in October. 

...then again, a Daredevil in the cheek might back them off a bit.
    PumaJeff
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 22
    RE: It's a Big Lake!! Back Off!!! 2007/05/28 19:40:49 (permalink)
    doesn't make sense, does it Wilber. Like you said, they have the boat and can fish ANYWHERE, and they decide that there might be a bass hiding in your front pocket they wanna catch! Ihave one of those fancy bassboats, but try to respect every fisherman around me, whether they're in a boat,shore fishing, or wading. The lake is PLENTY big enough to share it for sure. Good fishing. Jeff
    hossmagnet
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 69
    RE: It's a Big Lake!! Back Off!!! 2007/05/28 20:20:42 (permalink)
    Wilber,  I was at the lake and I could not believe the disrespect that these guys had.  It was the first time that I was ever there and was amazed how close people were coming to my boat.  I have a really fast bass boat but never got over 30 mph, there was just too many people there.  You guys know who you are, lets slow down and not ruin someones day.
    The Ref
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 180
    RE: It's a Big Lake!! Back Off!!! 2007/05/28 20:44:39 (permalink)
    Heres a good one I was plugging for musky this morning on Conneaut and had these 2 clowns motor rite up to me and asked me if I could see any bluegills in the weeds with my glasses on. I almost **** when this clown said that, I just shook my head and thanked them for screwing up the spot.

Tim

tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4334
    RE: It's a Big Lake!! Back Off!!! 2007/05/28 20:54:16 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: T.T.

Okay.  I see your point.  I guess you might just have to think of it as a bigger version of The Stop Sign Hole in October. 

...then again, a Daredevil in the cheek might back them off a bit.

I prefer the Zara Spook, it gets the point across quite nicely, and it comes in lots of different kelers

Attached Image(s)

I have the right to remain silent.....I just don't have the ability
    wilber
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: It's a Big Lake!! Back Off!!! 2007/05/28 21:43:31 (permalink)
    After a big steak and and a few cold beers I've calmed down a bit. Again- I appolgize for getting so worked up and taking it out on the board. Most of the guys who read this stuff are decent respectable folk and would never be so arogant. (Most)

Chris- it's not so much a matter of safety when I'm standing in two feet of water but a matter of common curtisy. Besides, these guys with their $30,000 boats could care less about the fine they might get for speeding in a no wake zone. And yes, I am 100% certain of the no wake limits along the shoreline. Rather than turning these ba$tards in I was thinking of taking close up pictures of them and their boats and posting it here on a "hall of shame" thread for all to see. Maybe peer persure will teach them some manners.

T.T. / tippy toe - the thought had crossed my mind. I had on a popper much like the ones pictured and was daring myself to carefully remove the guys' sunglasses or hat. Or simply reach out and grab their lures, pulling it and their pole into the water.  

Point is - the bay is not elk/walnut creek on opening day. Elbows to ****holes is totaly unnecessary and considered very rude. Thanx ya'll for the simpathy. Tomorrow most of the tourists will be gone and I will be back peacfully catching that big one.
    jerminator7777
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 409
    RE: It's a Big Lake!! Back Off!!! 2007/05/28 21:48:29 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: The Ref

Heres a good one I was plugging for musky this morning on Conneaut and had these 2 clowns motor rite up to me and asked me if I could see any bluegills in the weeds with my glasses on. I almost **** when this clown said that, I just shook my head and thanked them for screwing up the spot.

Tim

I agree, I hate those who go onto Conneaut with those things and go right past you when they have the whole lake, but feel the erge to come within 20 yards of you. I think the should change that speed limit. Also since the weeds are bad there, the people on the water skis chop them all up so it's almost impossible to fish there.
    mr.fisherman
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 169
    RE: It's a Big Lake!! Back Off!!! 2007/05/28 22:04:53 (permalink)
    It seems that we have the same problem. Wilber, now just understand that the boat anglers on this board for the most part respect shore anglers like us. But I'll share a story from the weekend. miz.f and I were fishing Raccoon Lake off the dam Saturday morning. Did okay with some bass and crappie. After the fog cleared some jerk park his boat on the dam not far from us to fish from shore from the boat. Makes no sense to me. When leaving and walking past them, they said nothing. Good thing because I would have told them about the gas they could have saved leaving the boat at home.

ORIGINAL: wilber

Some of you are lucky enough to have big fast boats, most of us are not so privileged.

Your large pocket book does not make up for small gentals or a complete lack of skill. Running your 300hp prized toy up to - and parking next to fisherman in waders (or other boats) will not help you catch any more fish.

First of all, no wake means NO WAKE!!! If you wanna drive like an ****hole do it where it won't bother anyone else. Secondly, if I can cast into your boat you are WAY too close. There are plenty of fish all over every inch of this big beautiful lake/bay, show some respect and find your own little hole.

Within fifteen minutes of being in the water this morning I had three of you coc$suc*ers in my face casting directly to my lure. One guy was so ignorant he nearly hit both of the other boats!!! None of you caught a **** thing. The entire bay is like glass and full of fat hungry bass, what could possibly be the attaction of crowding the guy who is limited to a few hundred yards of shorline?

Those of you who know better, sorry for the rant.
    *commander*
    Pro Angler
    RE: It's a Big Lake!! Back Off!!! 2007/05/28 23:04:23 (permalink)
    "When leaving and walking past them they said nothing. Good thing because I would have told them about the gas they would have saved leaving the boat at home."

why were you waiting for them to say something. why didnt you say something to them.

doubt they cared about the gas. if youre fishing raccoon, chances are you live close, as people normally do not go out of their way to fish it.

it seems everywhere you go and everything you do, there's always somebody out to get you or peeing you off. such heartache.
    walnutter1
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 12
    RE: It's a Big Lake!! Back Off!!! 2007/05/28 23:13:30 (permalink)
    Wilber,

Did you wade in near the Waterworks pier early this AM?  I was up on the pier.  If so, I saw that.  If not, it happened to some other guy too.

Brad1
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 338
    RE: It's a Big Lake!! Back Off!!! 2007/05/29 06:00:41 (permalink)
    Wilber, IMO, sounds like you had good cause for being P.O'd. 

When it comes to Erie, I'm an open (ussually deep) water fisherman. I go out of my way to stay well clear of other fisherman. Not just because I don't want my own lines fouled, but I try to bend over backwards to show respect and courtesy to others. I think there are alot of other individuals that are that way too. Unfortunately, there are always some rude, inconsiderate, and when it comes to water / boating, dangerous folks out there. It's a shame, but I guess it's just a fact of life.

One time I was about 14 miles out from Geneva-on-the-lake, Ohio trolling for walleye. It was about mid-day. Some crew of bozos in a red and white Thompson come motoring along at about 25 mph and go within about 2 ft of my planer board. All that open water, but yet they gotta buzz my board. Another time, in a 50 ft visibility fog, an Erie, PA charter boat almost runs us up the stern as he's traveling at near WOT. He literally was no more than 2 seconds away from running us over before he cut his wheel so hard that I could see his keel from bow to stern. And without any appology, he cowarded into the fog. That was in '96. Within the next year or two, I saw an ad for his charter service in the back of the PA fishing regs book. By the way, I was traveling at about 3 to 5 mph at the time, heading back to the dock. That same day, there were bass boats in the not too far off distance running WOT. Again, the visibility was about 50 ft. I'll never forget that day. Two years ago, I was on a charter anchored off of Hilton Head, fishing for Tarpon. This huge yacht comes motoring along at a fast cruising speed, within 20 ft of us. I couldn't believe my eyes. Up until the last minute, I thought he was going to ram us. The captain threw an egg sinker at the boat and hit it. I generally don't condone that type of thing, but in this case, I thought it was totally appropriate. I was just hoping the guy in the yacht wasn't going to turn around and run us over.

indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6356
    RE: It's a Big Lake!! Back Off!!! 2007/05/29 09:50:06 (permalink)
    Gentlemen,
          I can REALLY sympathise with these reports.  The worst thing you can do is catch a fish and let them see you do it.  They will be on you soooo fast.  I have been nearly run down many times on Raystown.  I have a small boat (14.5 foot) and I used to like to take my son and nephew out to fish.  Since we were familiar with parts of the lake we would always fish close to the cliffs where we knew there were fish.  I have literally had B assers run up to my boat cut their throttle and leave a wake big enough to rock my boat.  When you say anything to them their response is usually "We're fishing a tournament".  So that makes it OK? 
          And don't even THINK about reporting someone who is in a Sponsored tournament on Raystown.  The response you'll get is that you are the one who shouln't be on the lake since they're having a tournament.  Been there, done that. 

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: It's a Big Lake!! Back Off!!! 2007/05/29 13:49:43 (permalink)
    I actually had a fellow tell me at the boat ramp on Lake Chautauqua not to drop a buoy if you hit an eye or they would beat me back to it..

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

T.T.
    Pro Angler
    RE: It's a Big Lake!! Back Off!!! 2007/05/29 16:35:12 (permalink)
    Ahhhhhhhh.  So refreshing to know that this doesn't just happen during Steel season.  I thought the only rude anglers were on trout waters.
    Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1834
    RE: It's a Big Lake!! Back Off!!! 2007/05/29 16:51:34 (permalink)
    another reason walleye fishing offshore is great....nobody in waders....

A boat has same rights to any area as you do in waders...however courtesy and safety should ALWAYS be 1st by both anglers...

Boating is just like driving your car...not everyone else on the road is as cautious as you are...you must be alert and ready to act at any moment.  I am sure all of us have our share of acts of events that have happened to us on the big lake due to someone being ignorant to other boaters as well as their own well being... 
    post edited by Carpet Bagger - 2007/05/29 16:55:50

CB
    I never thought I'd say this, but I love my Sport-Craft!
    steelydaze
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 376
    RE: It's a Big Lake!! Back Off!!! 2007/05/29 17:41:43 (permalink)
    I've noticed sailboaters that like to cut it close really hate chum.
    post edited by steelydaze - 2007/05/29 17:49:50
    *commander*
    Pro Angler
    RE: It's a Big Lake!! Back Off!!! 2007/05/29 20:44:57 (permalink)
    there was a post a year or 2 ago by a fella that would rig a rod and reel up with only a large wooden bobber. when boaters would get too close he claimed he would cast the bobber out and in front of their boat to tangle the line in the motor.
    Stillhead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1887
    RE: It's a Big Lake!! Back Off!!! 2007/05/29 21:30:01 (permalink)
    I mostly agree with all of the above.  Just wanted to point out that it probably wasn't tournament fisherman as a few seem to be concluding.   If there was a tournament going on then that was illegal as well when bass season is closed.  If you're a idiot then you're and idiot all the time, not just when there is a tourny going on.  Pretty much the same thing as the few littering slobs that give all fisherman a bad name.

*commander*
    Pro Angler
    RE: It's a Big Lake!! Back Off!!! 2007/05/29 21:37:01 (permalink)
    my mistake. good call on the no tourney due to closed bass season.
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: It's a Big Lake!! Back Off!!! 2007/05/29 22:07:42 (permalink)
    Bass season is NOT closed on lake Erie, the bay, or penninsular waters. Although the current 1 fish 20 inch limit would make a tourney unlikely.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    *commander*
    Pro Angler
    RE: It's a Big Lake!! Back Off!!! 2007/05/29 22:16:12 (permalink)
    my mistake again. i hope i word this right. you can fish for bass, however, you cannot keep more than 1 bass and the fish must be over 20".

might make for an interesting trophy tourney. each boat weighs one fish. are you allowed to cull fish right now?
    mr.fisherman
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 169
    RE: It's a Big Lake!! Back Off!!! 2007/05/29 23:23:45 (permalink)
    Sure, you would have a defense for that type of angler. But I'm sure you would fish from a beached boat next to shore anglers. We all know you are a jerk. No need to give more proof.

ORIGINAL: *commander*

"When leaving and walking past them they said nothing. Good thing because I would have told them about the gas they would have saved leaving the boat at home."

why were you waiting for them to say something. why didnt you say something to them.

doubt they cared about the gas. if youre fishing raccoon, chances are you live close, as people normally do not go out of their way to fish it.

it seems everywhere you go and everything you do, there's always somebody out to get you or peeing you off. such heartache.
    jaymztrain
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 101
    RE: It's a Big Lake!! Back Off!!! 2007/05/30 06:34:49 (permalink)
    thanx for stating what alot of wish wo would!
    go-n-fishn
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 225
    RE: It's a Big Lake!! Back Off!!! 2007/05/30 10:15:42 (permalink)
    Its to bad one can't make a point without swearing every other word. Realy shows the true character of some people!!

There will be days when fishing is better than ones optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home.
    **Roderick Haig-Brown
    ready2fish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 787
    RE: It's a Big Lake!! Back Off!!! 2007/05/30 10:58:12 (permalink)
    Although you are permitted to keep 1 20 inch bass now, tournaments are NOT permitted during this time.

PAFBC does not even allow "paper" tournaments during closed season.....
    THECOBRA
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: It's a Big Lake!! Back Off!!! 2007/05/30 13:30:39 (permalink)
    The same thing happened to us on the bay 2 weeks ago.  We drifted over some smallies and caught a few, next thing you know there were 4 boats in line behind us.  Then, what a surprise, the bite shuts off.  So we left the spot and came back in an hour when all the copy-cat fishermen had cleared out, and guess what, they started biting again. 

These are the types of fishermen who are attracted when you over-publicize fisheries, and use report pages to brag instead of just give reports. 
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: