Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
countryfisher
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 168
  • Reward points: 0
2008/10/08 13:23:10 (permalink)

The Season So Far...

Me and my buddy hung our stands right next to each other and are taking turns filming this year, got some good footage of smaller bucks and does but nothing exciting yet.  Opening morning we saw three small bucks and three does, that evening we had three does hang around a while right at dark.
This morning we got up and went out expecting movement before the front came in but only saw the same young buck... same trail at the same time - a decent 7 point I might take if he gives me a chance since I'm just looking for my first bow kill this year, not neccesarily anything huge.  I do know theres two different really big 8pts runnin around there though and saw a huge rub this morning... still early

How's everyone else's season goin and is anybody else trying to film any hunts this year?

40 Replies Related Threads

S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: The Season So Far... 2008/10/08 13:55:10 (permalink)
    Nothing but small bucks and does so far. had 4 bucks and 7 baldies within 5 yards of the trees i've been in but haven't even seen a legal one at a distance.
    krott243
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 954
    RE: The Season So Far... 2008/10/08 16:04:26 (permalink)
    Season is going alright, passed up a small 7 and small 8 and a bunch of does.  We are also trying to get some kills on video, mainly just some doe hunts because its not hard to kill a doe pretty much everytime we go out.  Been seeing some nice buck around, buddy shot a nice 8 pt lastnight on his property right off of Fry Rd, you guys hunting edinboro at all?

The Lord has blessed us all today... It's just that he has been particularly good to me.
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3087
    RE: The Season So Far... 2008/10/08 19:15:46 (permalink)
    You guys that have these prime properties are very fortunate.
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: The Season So Far... 2008/10/08 19:48:24 (permalink)
    Well, I didn't see a deer in the a.m. on saturday probably in part to the rain that came unannounced.   Saturday evening I saw a big 4pt and 8 does.  5 of the does came by at 5pm at around 35yards and I opted to hold off.  After about another hour passed the same group decided to come back by me this time around 30 yards and I took the lead doe which was the biggest as well.  Unfortunately due to school I won't be hunting that stand, which is in 2B, for 3 more weeks.

I hunted monday evening here in 4D and I didn't see any deer.  I am gonna wait until the wind is right and try it again either tomorrow or friday.  I know the deer are using this area I just need to be very careful with the wind and entrance strategy.
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: The Season So Far... 2008/10/08 21:12:16 (permalink)
    I've seen a lot of deer so far, but with the variable winds on saturday I was busted more than a few times.

On saturday evening I was busted by a very nice 8 pt as I was drawing my bow. He never even stopped to look in my direction to see what was moving, he just took off. I guess he lived that long for a reason...

Saw a very nice 10 pt on monday. He's probably in the 130" range. I saw him a few times before season, but he seemed to disapear over the past couple weeks. I think i'll hold out for him. In the meantime, i got some doe tags to fill.

bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: The Season So Far... 2008/10/09 05:35:43 (permalink)
    Hunted another day with out a deer.
    Must have the big stinky or the bad mojo this year...
    Still better than sittinin the house...

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: The Season So Far... 2008/10/09 07:55:18 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: DanesDad

Need to get out there and make it happen Dane.   These prime areas don't likely come jumping at these guys.   Worse someone could say is no.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4011
    RE: The Season So Far... 2008/10/09 09:38:54 (permalink)
    Only been out twice so far due to family obligations.  A 2 year old and 5 month old and a complaining wife will keep you busy at home!  Sat. AM in the rain saw one scrubber 3 or 4 pt. and a mom and two fawns.  Kicked out a nice unknown large deer from its bed on the way out and I will keep it in the back of my head that it was a nice buck (to keep me motivated).  Monday evening didn't see a thing at one of my other stand sites in a totally different location. 

Looks like it is going to be pretty warm for the next several days so I am not too excited. 
    Stealth Archer
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 21
    RE: The Season So Far... 2008/10/09 13:27:42 (permalink)
    Well I've had to move positions and go after a new buck. Reason being I have this big pesky bear that won't leave my choice hunting area. This stinkin bear has been there the last 3 evenings. Anyone have any advice as to how to get rid of this bear, so the deer will come back? Mind you he probably goes 300-350 lbs and he is not very timid. I just believe his presence has changed the deer pattern in this area.(Not to mention I haven't seen any deer since he showed up) Let me know your thoughts. They will be greatly appreciated.
    krott243
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 954
    RE: The Season So Far... 2008/10/09 15:49:53 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: SilverKype

Need to get out there and make it happen Dane.   These prime areas don't likely come jumping at these guys.   Worse someone could say is no.

Yea, I dont own an acre of hunting land but I sure do have permission to hunt some really nice propertys all over erie county.  90% of the time people say NO, but you just never know.

The Lord has blessed us all today... It's just that he has been particularly good to me.
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: The Season So Far... 2008/10/09 16:11:36 (permalink)
    Danesdad, the property I hunt is open to anyone who asks, and not posted there are at least 14 different bucks on the property at various times and 1 is easy P&Y material.  No one hunts it because they are too lazy to scout.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    RE: The Season So Far... 2008/10/09 20:23:51 (permalink)
    Well it is time to relocate!!  I went out this evening to find hunter after hunter walking around aimlessly between 5-6pm.  One guy even made it his prerogative to walk directly through their beds!!  I really hate it when you do your homework and it is destroyed, just like that my time spent flies out the window. 

My next several outtings will be more scouting excursions than anything.
    Noplacelikehome
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 774
    RE: The Season So Far... 2008/10/09 20:47:56 (permalink)
    Guys don't ever give up! One year I went out 9 times in about 12 days and saw nothing, NADA!! The 10th time I shot a decent 9 pt. I preach this all the time,but few think about it. " You can't kill a deer unless your in the woods"!!!!!!   Think positive and good things will happen.   S.K and Krott speak the truth.
    gobyking
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1195
    RE: The Season So Far... 2008/10/09 21:27:06 (permalink)
    It only takes one time Noplace.

I've been out 3 times since Monday. Wide 5 point from at 15 yds first night, forkhorn 4 pt out of range the second night, and a momma doe and her 2 fawns this morning at 20 yards. Every one has been taking their sweet old time eating along the powerline I hunt near, the doe were there for 1/2 an hour. Killed a big 10 pt there 4 years ago so I know it is a good spot with 2 ponds and its a funnel area. This is private land but just went and found the owner and showed up in person to get the permission.

We had a bad year with the EHD last year and spotting/driving at night this summer I haven't seen any buck over an average 2B 8 pt. But my thought is that the big one never shows himself, that's why he got so big.
    chasinrainbows
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 189
    RE: The Season So Far... 2008/10/09 23:24:40 (permalink)
    down by five star cycle
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3087
    RE: The Season So Far... 2008/10/10 02:39:37 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: SilverKype

It's not that I have NOWHERE to hunt.  It's just that the deer density on the places is low.  Truthfully, I dont recall ever having been told no by a landowner.  I just need to find  a landowner with a giant buck on his land.

Also, I got the vibe that some guys on here have farms or farms in their families or some other type of primo property that they exclusively hunt.  I've really come to believe that hunting is about 10% skill and 90% location.  Not knocking anyones ability, but if you see 10-20 deer every time out, how many years go by where you wouldn't get one?
    countryfisher
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 168
    RE: The Season So Far... 2008/10/10 02:59:29 (permalink)
    hunting hard pays off... at least thats what i keep telling myself! and krott, i been huntin my my buddies farm near guys mills, dont hunt around school too much, i either hunt there or at my old farm by my home north of greenville. 
    I'll prolly try to whack a doe this weekend if i get the chance...
    pin_drifter
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 253
    RE: The Season So Far... 2008/10/10 04:31:20 (permalink)
    Due to my job i am able to hunt every morning and evening. This is what went down thus far.

location i am hunting wmu2d  farm land with white oaks hills sides thickets, flats. lots of rubs good rub lines a few primary scrapes.

Monday morning ------- got into stand at 6 15 am seen nothing hunted till 11 am

monday evening arrived at 2 30 pm hunted till darkness fell.... nothing.

Tuesday morning got into stand 600 am same nothing not a deer had buck urine out nothing not even a tail.

Tuesdays night went to a friends farm that i have killed a few buks before arrived at 300 pm, got into stand at 5 30 seen a buck have no idea 35 yards out in front of me in the crab apples tried bleating with a few soft grunts turned the deer heading towards me but still outta a view. but about 30 yds to my right in the thicket. I hear this whizzing noise over my head min later same thing. I get out of the stand to find out what the H was going on  the bordering neghibor is shooting a 22 and not knowing i am in stand i had a few choice words.....needless to say buck gone....no good hunt skunked.

Wed moring went back same spot 7 20 got winded have no idea what it was snorted about 15 times game over hunted till 12 noon.

wed evening raining still hunted some scrapes had two doe 8 yards till they figured out what i was game over.

Thursday morning  arrived at stand 6 10 sharp....nothing not a tail. hunted till 10 am

Thursday evening arrived at 4 pm hunted till darkness nothing but a skunk and a couple nut crackers.
    '
    Friday moring killing time just got home from work will be heading out at 6 am hope to kill something or least see something.......... it sucks this year i am lost always year after year after year where i kill my bucks the first week or second week in beacause of the white oaks,,,,I see nothing no corns falling off trees,,,,,think it might be a long season this year for me........And i have no apple trees in my area so i have no idea.....Whats up tons of sign but where's the deer i have yet to see any doe but the two i seen wed night thats sad...........guess thats why they call it hunting not killing but it's killing me working nights and trying to get 3 hours of sleep a day and not seeing a thing,,,,,,,,,,,,,,blahhhhhhh
    post edited by pin_drifter - 2008/10/10 04:35:16

Quit ****ing and take a kid fishing !!
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    RE: The Season So Far... 2008/10/10 06:07:10 (permalink)
    Time for me to move. Another night in my jelly hole and not a deer...May have to go get on a couple doe trails to see some deer. Kinda blows when 4 months of good scouting is for nothing.

The property owner north of me has an 800 acre farm. He wiill not hunt from a tree stand so he walks his property line every night between 5-6 pm..

Now I think I know why I'm seeing no deer.. Can't believe this guy actually thinks he can stalk a mature whitetail buck.. He has a much better chance playing the lottery..

I think what ****es me off the most is he will spook that buck 1 time too many and the buck will go nocturnal on us and no one will see him... Then all you got is the crap shoot at rut time...

jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: The Season So Far... 2008/10/10 07:27:37 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: bingsbaits

Time for me to move. Another night in my jelly hole and not a deer...May have to go get on a couple doe trails to see some deer. Kinda blows when 4 months of good scouting is for nothing.

The property owner north of me has an 800 acre farm. He wiill not hunt from a tree stand so he walks his property line every night between 5-6 pm..

Now I think I know why I'm seeing no deer.. Can't believe this guy actually thinks he can stalk a mature whitetail buck.. He has a much better chance playing the lottery..

I think what ****es me off the most is he will spook that buck 1 time too many and the buck will go nocturnal on us and no one will see him... Then all you got is the crap shoot at rut time...

could happen in the pouring rain, IF you move slow enough
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: The Season So Far... 2008/10/10 07:35:11 (permalink)
    I feel bad for bringing esox into my area which up until this season has seen very little traffic. Ive never seen it like this in the area we've been hunting. Its bad enough im pulling my hangon out there this weekend.

People are so dumb. I didnt see a single vehicle scouting until the night before the season. I dont know where all these guys came from to tell you the truth. Someone is running their mouth out there.
    chicken27
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 763
    RE: The Season So Far... 2008/10/10 07:52:01 (permalink)
    Pin drifter all my expecine hunting by rubs and scrapes never had a good kill rate there. Maybe i'm wrong on this thought but i believe that a deer won't tear up his core where he is leaving.He will invade someone else territory to destory theres not his own.I hunted by scrapes and rubs for miles i mean they were every where.We hunted these spots for a long time and never saw a deer.I saw alot of bucks last year making scrapes but not rubbing there horns.I killed a 7 point last year grunt him in to two yards.I was leaving the old man hunt then grunt a very small 7 point he made probably 20 scrapes with in a 100 yards.
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    RE: The Season So Far... 2008/10/10 08:12:43 (permalink)

Can't believe this guy actually thinks he can stalk a mature whitetail buck.. He has a much better chance playing the lottery..

I believe it...

I have harvest bucks and does by stalking in archery season... and on some of the forums I visit guys have already harvested some GREAT bucks by stalking on the ground... maybe you should try it...

One great advantage ... where you tree standers are seeing "just out of range"
    a stalker could try to get closer and may be he will be successful while you sit and watch and hope for another day...

Another NICE advantage about hunting from the ground.. It's easier to see those "magical branches" that I am reading about on message boards... that cause the arrow to miss or the " bad hit" that caused the deer to be lost.....

There sure is alot of reporting about lost deer this year ?????????
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    RE: The Season So Far... 2008/10/10 10:54:26 (permalink)
    Jeremy--don't worry about it, other people hunting the same area is the one thing you can't scout for.

We should be in good shape if you come down and hunt with me in 2B, I doubt we will see anyone else hunting down there.  My buddy has been seeing 2 different P&Y bucks within a mile of my hunting grounds.  I also saw a crazy looking buck right up the road while spotting last weekend; he has a "club" with a bunch of goofy stickers on it and the other side has 5 points and some serious mass.  It just sucks I won't be able to hunt there for at least another 2 weeks. 
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    RE: The Season So Far... 2008/10/10 11:07:01 (permalink)
    DR.. I understand the stalking thing. I walked up on a nice buck once..

Your odds are just terrible trying to stalk the mature deer. Not saying it can't be done. People win the lottery every day.

I know the fella that owns the land.
    When he hunts he gets his hunting clothes on that have sat in the milk house all night with the gas heater going( he ate breakfast in them yesterday). A shower might come once a week...His whole solution to scent control is dousing himself in Scent-away...

Now if you tell me he can stalk Mature Whitetails stinking to high heaven and paying no attention to the wind then I want to hunt the deer that you do....He has done this for 20 years and has yet to kill a mature deer with his bow....

I've found you will encounter alot more limbs at ground level than if in a tree stand where you are above the ground clutter..

Deadbolt401
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3029
    RE: The Season So Far... 2008/10/10 11:20:42 (permalink)
    Stalking a deer would be rad. But I'd just like to shoot a doe-ho-ho first.

That sucks that the landowner does that, You should take note of where he walks and have him push the deer to you if possible/
    chicken27
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 763
    RE: The Season So Far... 2008/10/10 20:26:17 (permalink)
    Finally got to get since monday evenig we had a big work load getting everything ready before vacation.I want back to my first day spot man was it hot.The deer movement was slow till the sun went down.I saw four small 8 points and 14 doe. I watched 2 8 points fight for 20 minutes.I wish i would of took the effort to carry my decoy i'm curios to see how they will respond to it.
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    RE: The Season So Far... 2008/10/10 22:56:52 (permalink)
    Don't be surprised if they attack it, especially if it's a buck decoy.... :)
    sugarfuzz12
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 527
    RE: The Season So Far... 2008/10/11 01:44:28 (permalink)
    i don't understand the late scouting either yesterday i had i guy 30 yards from my hang on i talked to him since he was just starting to climb and he told me that sunday he saw i huge buck wit a drop tine that we were looking at all summer and asked the landowner for permission and he let him so now hes commen in the woods just walken around climben trees wit no scouten and maken a ton of noise.  
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: