Techniques for new guys

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
LittleJoe76
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 17
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Techniques for new guys 2008/10/15 08:14:18 (permalink)
I just wanted to take a second to thank everyone that threw there ideas and techniques at me...i have to say ...i tried everything that was mentioned here last weekend and I can only say that its really fun to actually go out and catch fish on a fly rod....rather than just stand around and not catch anything.....thanks again to everyone

Johnny_Johnson
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 479
RE: Techniques for new guys 2008/10/29 10:42:19 (permalink)
Is it too late for dry flies now, and if not is there a good fly for southwestern PA?

I've only fly fished one time before, but I've run into a lot of situations lately where I wished I had brought my fly rod.  Sooo, I'm dusting it off and hitting the Slippery Rock tomorrow for some much needed casting lessons. 

I've been a top water finatic since the first time I tossed a popper on Lake Arthur after dark, so I'm hoping to incorporate my two favorite things; trout and top water action.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Cold
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 7358
RE: Techniques for new guys 2008/10/29 11:03:51 (permalink)
If you've got any kind of a caddis hatch, try em.  The trout I've tried it on seemed very picky with respect to size, though.  Caddis are nice for me because they dont demand a perfect drift, as caddis often skitter over the surface anyway.  Since I have low confidence in them, though, I use them as indicators for a GRHE dropper.   Still, I've gotten a few risers for them.
Johnny_Johnson
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 479
RE: Techniques for new guys 2008/10/29 11:20:23 (permalink)
Thanks Cold, I'll give em a whirl.  I am gonna head down to the local fly shop tonight and pick some up.  I have materials to tie, but I figured I oughta figure out for sure if i am gonna fly fish, before I start worrying about tying my own flies, haha. 

I'll see what they have for caddis hatch and go from there.  I got one trout the first time I went on a black fly, but I had a hard time keeping it on the top of the water.  False casting for me is attempting to cast while my fly is stuck in the tree behind me, haha.  Lots of work to do, but plenty of good water to learn on.

Thanks again for the input!
jlh42581
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1885
RE: Techniques for new guys 2008/11/11 21:39:24 (permalink)
You guys should really fish with someone whos been at it awhile, otherwise its a long long long process to become efficient.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: