Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
LittleJoe76
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 17
  • Reward points: 0
2008/10/06 12:51:47 (permalink)

Techniques for new guys

Good day Gentlemen, Im very new to fly fishing. I'm just looking for some pointers on how to actually present my fly to the trout itself...i hear things like dead drifting etc...I dont use any dry flys...I do use alot of wooly buggers and things like that..so any help with regards to Position, casting, retracting  line...etc would be more than appreciated.

thanks a bunch

34 Replies Related Threads

Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: Techniques for new guys 2008/10/06 13:56:10 (permalink)
    I'm new too, just started this summer, and I love wooly buggers because they're easy to fish and they really catch fish.

I usually present them in variations of two basic forms: dead drifting and swinging.

To dead drift, I cast upstream at a 45 while standing directly across from the spot I want to target.  Then I try to keep a little bit of slack in my line without getting a big loop from the current.  I let it drift to about 45 downstream then try again.  After you drift a spot 5-10 times you learn how the line should move, and any variation from that might indicate a strike, so be ready!

To swing, I position myself about 30-45 degrees upstream of my targetted area.  I cast straight across and let the line drift downstream a little bit, taking the slack out of my line.  Once the slack is gone, your fly will "swing" around to a point directly downstream of you.  I put my targetted area usually either at the very beginning or very end of that "swing" path.  Be ready for strikes just as the fly begins to swing, or just after it stops directly downstream.  I find this method very easy and productive, as the tension keeps me in contact with the fly, so I can feel as well as see a strike.

I'm sure others' methods differ greatly based on experience and ability, but this is what works for me, a beginner, so far.
    PAFISHERMAN1981
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 384
    RE: Techniques for new guys 2008/10/06 15:02:47 (permalink)
    I am also new at fly fishing. I love it!
    anchke
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: Techniques for new guys 2008/10/06 20:32:48 (permalink)
    A variation of drifting or swinging is to mend your line upstream and begin a retrieve as the fly approaches the target area.

The theory behind this is that baitfish, unless they're very drunk, do not just drift into the mouths of predators. Instead, they tun and swim for their little fishy lives.

Your mend will cause the fly to turn upstream. Your retrieve will get it fleeing. And, if there's a predator there, it should pursue and chomp.

Worth trying, anyway, especially when you're bored drifting and swinging.
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2674
    RE: Techniques for new guys 2008/10/07 08:56:26 (permalink)
    the swing is so exciting.  keep your rod tip low and a tight line to control the fly as it swings downstream in an arc, also stop the fly and let it come to the surface at the end of the swing it often produces a strike.  also, I like to cast and "swim" streamers through a pod of fish, you are just casting upstream, facing the fly downstream and giving it a little bit of a motion aka swimming it through the fish.  def has accounted for alot of them.
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: Techniques for new guys 2008/10/07 11:15:35 (permalink)
    if some of you new guys fly fishing guys/girls want some help why don't you list where you guys are from. there are many of us, i'm sure, that wouldn't mind helping out in person. i know i would if you guys live up towards me. there's 2 ffo projects up here to learn. ~dt

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

LittleJoe76
    New Angler
    RE: Techniques for new guys 2008/10/07 11:43:35 (permalink)
    I'm From PA...I fish in Allegheny, Somerset,and Fayette County and will be expanding to Erie at the end of the month
    LittleJoe76
    New Angler
    RE: Techniques for new guys 2008/10/07 11:51:08 (permalink)
    and thanks for the pointers so far guys...like I said any help would be most appreciated
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Techniques for new guys 2008/10/07 11:57:07 (permalink)
    I'm from Latrobe, like it says under my name.  Been out on the water with a few members here, and so far, it's been fun!  Learned alot from guys here offering their help and experience, and sometimes, in-person help!  Always up for more help though.  Especially since I can't nymph for $hit.
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6354
    RE: Techniques for new guys 2008/10/07 12:33:27 (permalink)
    Cold,
        Nymphing is almost like bait fishing with a chunk of worm.   You need to shorten your presentation some and concentrate on letting the drift take your fly down.   Some of the best nymphing is done about 1-1.5 rod lengths in front of  you.   You just need to concentrate on getting the fly down to the desired depth and getting it to move into the fishes' feeding zone.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    LittleJoe76
    New Angler
    RE: Techniques for new guys 2008/10/07 13:59:14 (permalink)
    Well I'm always up for fishing...Considering I took a year off from Archery Hunting...inorder to take up flyfishing.....So I plan on being out as much as i can until the snow flies...and like I said I could really use the help
    mgolf92
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 378
    RE: Techniques for new guys 2008/10/07 16:34:57 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Cold

I'm from Latrobe, like it says under my name. 

Haha...
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Techniques for new guys 2008/10/07 17:37:38 (permalink)
    Ultimately, you'll catch more fish while nymphing, than by swinging streamers in most situations.

To nymph, you'll need some small shot (BB through the smallest sizes), some good indicators (I like fish pimps, but there are plenty of other good brands). A 9 ft tapered leader (for steelies, I typically use 3x)...And some nymphs.....

As far as flies go. Have glo-bugs and sucker spawns in various colors (14-18),  flashback pheasant tails (12-18), hairs ears(12-18), copper johns (12-18), green caddis larva (14-18) .....just to name a few.

For a nymphing set up, tie your first nymph onto the tippet, then tie on a piece of tippet to the bend of the hook, cut it off to about 10", then tie on another nymph or egg to that piece of tippet. About 10-12" above your first fly, attach your shot to the tippet, spacing them out about a fingers width apart from each other. I start out attaching my indicator about 1.5 to 2 times the depth of the water, above the shot.

Make your casts above you, and let the indicator drift until it gets down to you, but no further (the fish below you, chances are have already been disturbed by you, and arent to interested in eating while you're standing on top of them). If the indicator stops, gets pulled under, or goes off in a different direction, set the hook. Sometimes it will be a fish, and sometimes it will be the bottom of the creek. The only way to know, is to set the hook. If your flies never hit bottom, add more shot, or switch to bigger shot. If your flies get stuck on every cast, remove some shot. If your indicator is constantly going under, move it closer to your fly line.

When nymphing you want to make sure your flies are drifting naturally along the bottom of the stream, where the fish are. If you want to know how your flies are drifting, watch your indicator. Remember, your indicator indicates two things, they indicate strikes, and how well your nymphs are drifting. For example, if your indicator is not going as fast as the current, you know your flies arent either. To get good drifts, learn to mend your line....

Mending line......The best way I can tell you how and when to mend is to have you go fishing, make a cast across a stream, and notice as some of you line goes down stream very fast, some line goes slow and some barely drifts. When this happens, you'll notice your fly getting pulled faster than the current it's cast into, since the line before it is going at a different speed, and therefore your fly drags, instead of drifts. Mending line is where you compensate for different current speeds. It's pretty simple to do. Let's say you make a cast, and your fly line is drifting faster than your indicator. You'll want to lift your rod slightly, and make a quick flick of the wrist to send only the fly line that's being pulled downstream faster, upstream to compensate for the difference in current speed. If your fly line is going downstream slower than your indicator, throw the mend downstream to compensate for the slower current speed. You may have to mend more than a few times each cast to get a good drift. After doing this a while, you'll get a feel for it. To get good at mending, you have to watch the changes in current speeds, and be able to mend according to thier speed, before they affect your drift. In my experience through guiding, teaching someone to mend the right way, makes the biggest difference in their ability to catch fish.
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Techniques for new guys 2008/10/07 21:16:43 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: LittleJoe76

Well I'm always up for fishing...Considering I took a year off from Archery Hunting...inorder to take up flyfishing.....So I plan on being out as much as i can until the snow flies...and like I said I could really use the help

Why stop when the snow flies?  I've caught fish out of a 4x8 hole in the ice of apond where a stream flowed into it a few weeks after Christmas.  They were some of the best fighters I've had the privelege of landing, and it silenced all the guys who laughed at me in the lodge when I told them I was gonna go fishing.  Nothing like having the guys finally come out to poke fun at you, only to see you reeling in a 16" trout!

mgolf...what's funny about living in Latrobe?  I do!
    LittleJoe76
    New Angler
    RE: Techniques for new guys 2008/10/08 08:33:18 (permalink)
    I just sort of figured that the creeks froze over...but If theres water running I'll be fishing I can tell you that much...Thank you drake for the Nymphing tips....i really can't wait to get out this weekend and try all of these new tactics...thanks again to everyone...and please keep them coming

LittleJoe76
    New Angler
    RE: Techniques for new guys 2008/10/08 08:36:23 (permalink)
    Drake....what should i use for an indicator?? and could you possibly pm me or email me a picture of this nymphing set up....my momma always told me a picture is worth a thousand words....Etr1633676@hotmail.com/

fishmoon
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: Techniques for new guys 2008/10/08 08:49:29 (permalink)
    i was just wonderin how to use wolly buggers on the sream do u use the swing technique or what? i'm new to fly fishing this year and any advice would be helpful even with how u use blood dots and sucker spawns also. thanks guys and maybe i'll c some of u on elk or walnut this weekend tight lines to all. i'll be the guy with a camo flat brim hat that is having trouble fly fishing.. good luck.
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Techniques for new guys 2008/10/08 08:59:52 (permalink)
    Little joe, use an indicator as an indicator.   I just started experimenting with several and I realized that 90% of my nymphing woes were due to a too-large indicator.  Still no fish on a nymph (shoulda had one two nights back on a size 18 or 20 copper john but he got off), but my drifts are drifting now, at least.

fishmoon, read this thread, there's lots of godd info on fishing wooly buggers.
    LittleJoe76
    New Angler
    RE: Techniques for new guys 2008/10/08 09:39:31 (permalink)
    Is there any size you would suggest? or brand?...oh one more ?...can you nymph all year round?..or is there a certain time to do it?
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    RE: Techniques for new guys 2008/10/08 10:08:29 (permalink)

Drake....what should i use for an indicator?? and could you possibly pm me or email me a picture of this nymphing set up....my momma always told me a picture is worth a thousand words....Etr1633676@hotmail.com/

I'll take a pic when I get home this afternoon.
    TransAmWS6
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 645
    RE: Techniques for new guys 2008/10/08 15:22:23 (permalink)
    will trout take dry flies in the middle of winter?  are there any flies that you can pretty much use year-round with success?

thanks for all the help guys, this thread is answering alot of my questions.    im trying neshannock this weekend cant wati.
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Techniques for new guys 2008/10/08 15:31:34 (permalink)
    I'd imagine they'd take a Griffith's gnat in medium to slow water in the middle of winter...if you can find some of it.  Very small though, nothing larger than a 20 or 22.
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    RE: Techniques for new guys 2008/10/09 01:01:15 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: thedrake

I'll take a pic when I get home this afternoon.

Got tied up with work.

I'll post a pic sometime tomorrow....
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    RE: Techniques for new guys 2008/10/09 09:39:51 (permalink)
    fishmoon, cast the woolly bugger across stream. if you want it to swing deeper, mend the belly of the line upstream some. this will let the bugger drop deeper before the line starts to swing the bugger. keep your rod higher than horizontal. watch the line, if it stops or pulls, set the hook. at the end of the swing let the bugger dangle there for a few. a lot of time you'll coax a trout out of faster water and they'll follow the bugger until it gets to slower water.
    at the end of the travel start stripping it in. the amount of speed that you strip will all depends on you. a fast strip is good for agresive fish. sometimes a slow strip aside of fast current brings aggresive strikes.
    one other thing. carry a white woolly bugger, if you want to see how deep the buggers are swinging a white bugger is visable enough to let you see it swing.  good luck, ~dt
    post edited by doubletaper - 2008/10/09 09:41:31

it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

fishmoon
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: Techniques for new guys 2008/10/09 10:01:42 (permalink)
     thank you double taper i'm gonna be up the 10,11,12 and possibly the 13 any advice for low clear water fly fishing i can't wait to lay into some steel, do sucker spawn and blood dots work well in low and clear water? also what kind of spinners should i use in the mouths and possibly the lake? thanks for all the info
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    RE: Techniques for new guys 2008/10/09 10:17:06 (permalink)
    i've never claimed to be an expert on steelhead, i'm still learning a lot as i go. (trouts another story) everyone says it's the correct drift that gets the fish to hit, along with the right fly, the right color and the right mood of the fish and.....

it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Techniques for new guys 2008/10/09 10:26:50 (permalink)
    I feel your pain, dt!

From what I'd read, I figured, "Okay, so we'll fish em like a trout...same tactics, same presentations, slightly different bait, and heavier tackle."

Well I dont think it works.

I can usually out-think bass and panfish, and can usually figure out whats going on with trout (if not how to translate that into a catch), but so far these steelhead puzzle me.  They dont think like trout!
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    RE: Techniques for new guys 2008/10/09 23:38:20 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: TransAmWS6

will trout take dry flies in the middle of winter?  are there any flies that you can pretty much use year-round with success?

thanks for all the help guys, this thread is answering alot of my questions.    im trying neshannock this weekend cant wati.

On some spring creeks you'll occasionally find some fish taking midges on warmer winter days, but you get most fish on nymphs throughout winter.
    duncsdad
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 515
    RE: Techniques for new guys 2008/10/12 11:12:59 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: thedrake

ORIGINAL: TransAmWS6

On some spring creeks you'll occasionally find some fish taking midges on warmer winter days, but you get most fish on nymphs throughout winter.

Especially big suckers.

Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion
    TransAmWS6
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 645
    RE: Techniques for new guys 2008/10/13 20:34:47 (permalink)
    in general, Do you use smaller size flies in the low clear water and bigger flies in high dirtier water?
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: