Fish Stories

Author
wishfishin
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 519
  • Reward points: 0
2008/10/03 11:24:59 (permalink)

Fish Stories

Anyone got a great fish story?  Here is one of mine.

I was fishing the other day with a friend who told me the story of fishing with another friend.  They were over a great pile of fish, the kind of fishing where you really do catch them one after the other until your arms hurt.  Anyway, right in the middle of this most excellent opportunity, the other guy quit fishing, sat back and relaxed, and said, "You've got to learn to savor the moment."

I know not everyone is, but I happen to be a believer in God.  I turned 50 recently, and in that story I really felt like God was speaking to me (I know, "I'm old, duud").

Last trip up, it was one of those days where everything was going right.  Even though the fish were still biting, I sat down on the bank and said to my friend, "I think I'm done.  I'm just going to savor the moment."

And I did.

14 Replies Related Threads

indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6356
    RE: Fish Stories 2008/10/03 11:58:29 (permalink)
    This is one of my favorites.

Quite a few years ago I was fishing the Cascades hole on Elk when I saw two gentlemen come down to the creek and they looked like advertisments for the best fly fishing catalogue ever.  Simms, Orvis, ect.  I was a little bit jealous because their reels cost more than my entire outfit. But I figured these guys had to be pros and I would just stand back and observe their technique.  I watched for a while and it seemed that it was taking them an awful long time rigging up.  Then the first cast proved why.  Out flew a huge multi-colored streamer with a float (red &white) about the size of a crabapple!  And then they dead drifted the streamers.  I watched for about 10 minutes figuring that maybe, just maybe this was the ultra super-secret rig that I'd never heard about.  It wasn't.
         Finally I approached the closest man and  asked how he was doing?  He explained that he and his buddy were Dr's from down in Pittsburgh and they had heard about the steelhead fishing and they had ordered everything they needed from a catalogue and headed out.
         I very politely pointed out the way to use their rigs and suggested a smaller fly and float, and demonstrated a roll cast and high sticking.  Well, after about 15 minutes Wham! the gentleman got his first hit and he managed to land his first steelhead.  And it was a picture perfect event just like in all the books.  Long tearing runs a couple of leaps, the strong head shakes and then guiding the fish to the net.  Needless to say he was thrilled, and he even released the fish.
         By this time his friend was way downstream and I asked the Dr. if he wanted to tell his friend. And he replied, he'll find out soon enough can we just keep on fishing.  We fished for about a 1/2 hour and then his fiend came up and we talked and I re-riged him too.  And he caught a fish in about 15 minutes which the 1st Dr. netted for him.  They both thanked me and I went on my way, never learned their names.  But their smiles told the entire story.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    mikeg
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2533
    RE: Fish Stories 2008/10/03 14:08:24 (permalink)
    Sometime back in the summer of 1993 I was fishing San Luis Pass beach in Galveston TX.
    I was working a huge redfish school up and down the beach all morning. In my way back to the truck a family from Arkansas approached me and asked me if I was catching anything. I told them about how eventful my morning was.

The little boy (about 9 at the time) looked up at his dad and told him "see dad I knew I should have brought my fishing pole"!

I reached into my truck and pulled out a rod and handed it to him. This kids mom and dad sat down on their chairs and I took this kid out a few feet into the surf.
    I tied him up to a mirrolure 51mr and showed him how to cast and retrieve it. After about 10 cast with nothing to show this kid was asking me where all the fish went!

Not 10 seconds later....BAM!! Fish on!!! His rod doubled over and the reel started to screem!!!
    Being that I was right behind him I instructed this kid on what to do!

This kid fought this fish like he had caught 100 that morning. His rod held high and perfect tension being kept and managed to beach this fish in after about a 40-45 minute fight.

This red weighed close to 30 lbs and measured about 40 inches. During the fight his parents were on the beach just cheering up a storm. I can stil remember the smile on all of their faces....PRICELESS!!

After we got the fish ready for a release I grabbed my "throw away" camera from my truck and took a nice pic of him holding (well, he was trying to hold it up..lol) with his mom and dad by his side!

After a few hand shakes and some convincing to him by his parents it was time for them to go. I told them that I would send the picture to them by mail as soon as I had them developed.

Weeks past and that camera ended up being lost!  4 Years later I was digging through some old tackle boxs and low and behold I found that camera and the address of my new fishin' buddy! I developed the picture and sent it to them with a letter explaining what happend.

After a week or so I got a return letter with a recent pic of Chris (the now 13 year old boy) and his dad holding up some really nice trout they caught back home.

The letter explained to me that he and his dad never really fished together because of the lack of interest from his dad, but after seeing how much fun it was with me that day, his dad took up the sport and now they fish every week together!

Needless to say that letter brought a tear to my eyes...Knowing that I was responsible for introducing the enjoyment of fishing to this kid and his father. Bringing their relationship closer in the process!

The thought of that morning on the beach comes to mind ever so ofter and reminds me of the true reasons we fish and to share as much of the passion to as many others as possible!
    Flying Fish
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 240
    RE: Fish Stories 2008/10/03 14:56:06 (permalink)
    Wishfishin,  I have had the same experience.  Sometimes just watching the fish is good enough.
    walcat01
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 391
    RE: Fish Stories 2008/10/03 16:20:12 (permalink)
    Good Story!!!!!You done good hoss!! That is worth a millon bucks.I did the same thing a few years ago up Erie. Turns out the dad owned a sporting good store. I got the biggest box of fishing equipment you ever saw in the mail and a very touching letter from the dad. Brought a few tears to my eyes also.
    MackJ
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 522
    RE: Fish Stories 2008/10/03 16:34:19 (permalink)
    Yeah, and I'm the crybaby... kidding, nice stories.
    flyfishermanPA
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1495
    RE: Fish Stories 2008/10/03 16:55:21 (permalink)
    Well, here's my story. Fishing a high mountain lake in the Sierra's with my cousin and his uncle. Crushed the native brookies there with every fly in the box. Was alone for awhile and then a family showed up with a few 5 or so year old kids with big ol' cowboy hats.

They were using huge hooks with massive amounts of power bait and weren't catching anything. The dad and I were talking about fishin' and I insisted on helpin them out. Rigged a Mega Prince under a bobber and the kid caught a beautiful 9 inch high mountain brookie, how's that for your first fish caught?! I could barely make out what he was saying but it went something like "Is so beauty!". I couldn't stop smiling.
    moooooo4me
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 339
    RE: Fish Stories 2008/10/03 17:26:54 (permalink)
    i gave some kid a stringer after i seen him walking up the creek with 4 trout trying to crrry one on each finger and his box and rod in the other it feels good to hellp a little kid out when u can.... also mikeg thats hell of a story
    wishfishin
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 519
    RE: Fish Stories 2008/10/03 20:52:42 (permalink)
    Great stories. Thanks!

MikeG, here is my redfish story.  It is not in the same class as yours, to be sure, but I think you might appreciate it none the less.

We were drifting Sebastian Inlet  in Florida with "winkies" (live pinfish) for snook.  The reds were so think we couldn't get through them to the snook underneath.  Hook up a bait, drop it down, and "wham", fish on.  These were all big reds, and in the current they were a handful.

Anyhow, we told a friend we'd probably caught five hundred pounds of redfish the night before (all released, of course; I think we did manage one snook).  He didn't believe us.  So we went out the next night, weighed fish (almost all were over 20 pounds, and some were will into the 30s), and actually kept track of how much we caught.  When we were well over 600 lbs--and still catching them-- we stopped counting.  What a night!
    fishmonger
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 435
    RE: Fish Stories 2008/10/04 08:14:18 (permalink)
    My father and I fished Fulton county and Franklin county trout streams for many years. Our neighbor would come over when we would return from our trips and marvel over the trout that we had brought home. He pestered us for years to take him along. Finally, my dad invited him. We arrived at a little stream down Mercersbug way before sun up. My dad got his waders on, geared up, and started to cross the stream while the neighbor and I were still getting ready. For some reason, a stocked brookie jumped out of the water, and was flopping on the opposite bank. It was a nice one, about 14 or 15 inches long. My dad grabbed it, and hollered over, "I got my first one!" Well, our neighbor just about fell down trying to get his boots on and get over to the stream. We think that maybe a turtle tried to grab the trout, because it had a pretty nice gash on it's head.

Fishmonger
    glen
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 920
    RE: Fish Stories 2008/10/04 08:32:24 (permalink)
    I WAS FISHING THE SPRING RUN ON THE BETSY RIVER MICH. WITH MY BUDDY DAVE. WE WERE IN A HIKE IN SECTION AND WERE ALONE EXCEPT FOR ONE GUY WE COULD SEE WAY UPSTREAM. EVENTUALLY THIS GUY CAME DOWN PLAYING A GOOD FISH WHICH WE HELPED HIM LAND.WE TALKED FOR A WHILE AND TOLD HIM WE WERE FROM N.Y.  HE SAID HE WAS FROM INDIANNA. DAVE SAID HIS MOM WENT TO COLLEGE IN INDIANA. TURNS OUT HE WENT TO THE SAME COLLEGE AND HE AND DAVE'S MOTHER HAD BEEN ENGAGED TO MARRY BUT IT DIDN'T WORK OUT.
       SMALL WORLD                GLEN
    rollcaster
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1091
    RE: Fish Stories 2008/10/04 13:27:49 (permalink)

Speaking of turtles eating trout , here is a story from this year. About a month ago ,my dad and I were fishing in center county, we started about two hours before dark. We caught a couple trout, nothing with any size. I was fishing a small ripple above a nice size hole, when right at dusk a palamino about 18" or 19" swam out of the hole, but did not want anything to do with me catching it. Then 2 minutes later another big trout came out, but was acting weird it was rolling  and thrashing around. I could tell it was a big brown but didnt know what it was doing, my first thought it was feeding so instinctively I casted at him but nothing. After this went on for about five minutes, and the whole time I was talking to my dad so finally he walked up to see , he walked over to the trout and scooped it up in his net and pulled out a big snapping turtle with it that had him by the tail. The turtle fell off and we tried to revive the trout , but no go, that turtle must of had a hold of it for a while. It measured a little over 23" and I would say between 4 or 5 pounds. I would never think a turtle would grab something that big. It was a shame it died like that , it would have been a nice trout for someone to catch.

skunkboy
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: Fish Stories 2008/10/04 22:31:12 (permalink)
    December '97, Cascade. I spot a guy watching me from shore. I'm not doing anything special, just working a bugger. Eventually he works his way out towards me and I notice his gear is all brand spanking new (including the tag on his Orvis Tackle-Pac vest....same vest I wear, by the way) As he's chatting me up, he mentions that he's never fished with anything but spinning tackle. I hand him my rig, which he held like a bachelor holding a baby, grab his rig, slap a leader, sucker spawn, shot and indicator on it....pay out some line, make a quick roll cast and....BANG, I hook this beast on his rig. While I'm trying to act cool, I realize his reel has no drag, what I didnt notice was that his reel had NO backing on it!!!! You guessed it, the fish lines me, and just to make it even funnier (in hindsight) the flyline was not tied to the arbor.....As he's standing there speechless with my rig, and I'm watching his line, fish still attached, charge downstream, he says,
    "That was awsome!!!!!"....
    We retrieved his line, and landed the fish with the help of a guy downstream of us chuckin' metal who netted what turned out to be then, and still is now, the biggest Steelie I've ever caught. The guy retrieved the backing from his car, (he told me he thought it was 'sinking' line)
    we re-rigged him, and spent the rest of the day laughing our asses off....Mike has moved to Germany since then, but he has become a pretty fair fly-fisherman from what I can tell and we still talk occasionally. Good times.......good times.
    carcus1211
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 457
    RE: Fish Stories 2008/10/05 00:33:02 (permalink)
    Here's one that just happened last night and I guareentee it's the biggest REDNECK story you'll ever hear!!!!

As some of you know, PFBC just stocked Woodcock Creek with about 600 trout.  Went fishing Thursday, Friday, and today (am and pm).  So BassAckwards and I decide to go "night trout fishing."  He's never heard of anyone else doing it so, what the heck.  So we grab our waders, poles, etc and head to the creek.  But before we got there Bass was hungry so we ordered some wings and spudsters from Mickey's (great wings by the way) and a 6-pack.  We also grabbed a cooler and 2 lawn chairs.  After stopping in and getting some crawlers, we finally hit the creek.  It's pitch black out and all we have is this little water-proof lantern.  WE throw on a crawler and cast our line into a waist deep hole.  Meanwhile, we set up the 2 chairs in about 3 inch water with a decent flow.  We fill up the cooler with water to help is sink and put the beer in it to stay cool.  So we sat there with the cooler, beer, wings, spudsters, and our poles in the water.  Not really caring if we catch anything we begin to eat.  There's nothing like sitting in the creek for a few hours drinking beer and eating wings.  The funny thing is that we (well I) actually managed to catch a fish, about a 4 inch catfish.  It was the perfect night, like i said, wings, beer, spudsters, fishing, and no WOMEN!!!

Bass actually talked about these posts with the quote "Just savoring the moment" when he decided to stop fishing and just sit and relax. 

Now isn't that the funniest, but dumbest thing you've ever heard.  It would have made a great picture.  A fat man (me) in my little waders and Bass with his little cigar hanging out of his mouth, sitting in a creek, fishing, drinking, and eating.

LoveGlove United
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: Fish Stories 2008/10/05 11:21:40 (permalink)
    i remember many years back my friend and i were fishing the second day of trout on an early sunday morn. i was using a spinning rod fishing in a hole of a slow country stream. there were people on the other side of the bank fishing there also. we were prtty much hungover from the night before and were resting on the ground. i was half dozing off when i felt my line and rod move like a biting trout. i yanked my pole hard to set the hook and let's just say the little girl, on the other side of the stream, almost lost her fishing rod and almost fell into the water. my friend laughed cause he knew i was half asleep.
    heck, that's the only fishing story i can come up with. 

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

Jump to: