Relationship Between Wind and Wave Height

Author
flyfisherman
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 148
  • Reward points: 0
2008/09/30 14:33:27 (permalink)

Relationship Between Wind and Wave Height

Today the forcast was calling for west winds at 10-20 knots with 2-4 foot waves. Is it possible for the lake to be flat (along the west side shore line) when the winds are comming from the west / northwest at that speed? I always believed that the lake was only fishable when the wind was less than 10 knots or comming directly from the south....any help would be greatly appreciated.....

If the wave forcast was accurate, I would have loved to watch the fishermen in front of trout run slay them today  (according to "fishing reports")

5 Replies Related Threads

bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    RE: Relationship Between Wind and Wave Height 2008/09/30 19:27:00 (permalink)
    Check the reports for Friday, I have that day off and was planning of going out. Don't think I up for 7-10's though.

We were out Saturday with forcasted waves of 3-5's dropping to 2-4's and we had 3' rollers at the most in the morning and it settled in from there, turned out to be a nice day on the lake.

The lake almost always seems flatter near the shore line that the wind is coming from, but that can change quickly.
    D-MAC
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 314
    RE: Relationship Between Wind and Wave Height 2008/09/30 19:54:02 (permalink)
    Flyfisherman,

Try this website for weather and wind velocity and direction.

google       US AIRSPORTS.NET

click on aviation forecast, wind speed
    on location pick Pennsylvania
    on forecast pick Erie

This gives you updated wind speed direction for 3 days also a bunch of other info about the weather for those 3 days...it's very accurate.

ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Relationship Between Wind and Wave Height 2008/09/30 20:06:21 (permalink)
    I was out Sat as well and the waves were perfect for fishing pretty much all day into the early afternoon.  Too bad the shallows were as murky as they were due to the 10 footers the night before.  Killed the fishing for sure! 

Anyway, about the waves.  I find it hard to believe that with NW winds forecasted at 10-20 knots that there would be 2 to 3 foot waves, but I've seen stranger things happen up there.  Here is a neat interactive weather and waves guide for Erie by the NOAA, whaich have SUCKED this year, but so has everything else.  This is what I use along with some good local contacts up there.  Check it out. http://www.weather.gov/forecasts/wfo/sectors/cleMarineDay.php
    Let it load, then run your pointer over the times for the screen to change showing you wind speed, direction, temps, etc.

earlysecond
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 212
    RE: Relationship Between Wind and Wave Height 2008/10/01 09:59:20 (permalink)
    shutup,

Thanks for the link to that NOAA site, that has enough tools, bells, whistles and buttons to attract my A.D.D. riddled mind long enough to get a forcast,

Thanks,
    Brent
    Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1834
    RE: Relationship Between Wind and Wave Height 2008/10/01 12:00:28 (permalink)
    West winds come almost directly up the shorline of lake erie....

if you have 20 knot winds from the west be prepared for a bumpy ride...

South winds winds can be the tricky ones.  20knots from the south and generally in close will look dead flat...go out a couple miles and your right into you 1-3 or 2-4ft waves.

CB
    I never thought I'd say this, but I love my Sport-Craft!
    Jump to: