the channel of walnut . the pro's & con's

Author
powerun
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 222
  • Reward points: 0
2008/09/27 18:51:50 (permalink)

the channel of walnut . the pro's & con's

i was just wondering what everyone on this board's opion about haveing a law issued about boater's leaving or entering the channel of walnut .to be made by law to blow a horn or whistle when they go out the channel and come back in the channel of walnut. or should the pfbc stop & band all fishing from the marina to the lake from may till nov. what is your feeling's about this matter?

how can the shore fisherman & the boater's both win?

i would really like to read what your opion's are. positive or negative.

you have to addmit something need's done.

dave.
post edited by powerun - 2008/09/27 18:57:03

14 Replies Related Threads

egg sac
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 517
    RE: the channel of walnut . the pro's & con's 2008/09/27 19:16:56 (permalink)
    Here are my thoughts on the subject.

#1. All boats coming in or out should be made by law to honk a horn or blow a wistle when coming in or out and not for the reason of fisherman but because it is a bad blind spot and this will help stop collistions as well as accidental lines in props.

#2. Thier should be a stricly inforced no wake zones at all times except when wind and waves make it impossible to do so, so as not to colide into the wall. I see way to may boats going way to fast in calm conditions.

#3. While granted boats have the right of way and I do not disagree with this. During calm times if a boater sees an angler with a fish on they should make a courtesy effet not to break the angler off and let them try to land the fish.If they are going at a no wake speed this can be done very easy in calm conditions And all anglers should make an effert to get thier lines out when a boat honks or wistles they are coming in or out.

#4. When they do the dreging out of the mouth they should do so up to the small boat launch thus alowing more places for a good number of fish to hold. and this should hopefully put less people in the boaters way.

#5. as long as its not jampacked lined up people even with smaller boats should always launch them at main boat launch so as not to mess up the wall anglers that are already out of the way of 99.9 percent of all the boats.

These are just my thoughts on the subject. just a bit of common curtosey goes along way.

SO MANY FISH SO LITTLE TIME.
    WHY ARE ALL THE PLACES I HAVE YET 2 FISH SO FAR AWAY?
    chrisrowboat
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 688
    RE: the channel of walnut . the pro's & con's 2008/09/27 19:40:14 (permalink)
    Keep it civil and say no fishing in the channel unless handicapped or a child with an adult.
    The stream fisherman have been on the good side of the Lake Erie Stamp money for the past few years with little spent on the boaters. Let's give the boaters a brake.
    Chris
    sstaz69
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 314
    RE: the channel of walnut . the pro's & con's 2008/09/27 19:44:16 (permalink)
       I agree with Eggsac 110%, the laws that are in place should work as long as everybody knows them and a bit of patience and common courtesy is displayed on both sides. I would hate to see the wall shut off for the fishermen and fisherwomen. I myself have no problem (weather permitting) waiting for an angler to bring in his catch. I actually enjoy watching the fight and get probably just as excited as the angler himself.

With that being said I am bowing out as I'm sure this will get ugly

The World is a Vampire
    *commander*
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2647
    RE: the channel of walnut . the pro's & con's 2008/09/27 20:27:13 (permalink)
    while i only fish the mouthes a few times a year(wind/wave conditions and docks get removed at the end of october) i have never witnessed a boat that has not sounded a horn/noise device while entering or exiting the channel. no reason not to sound a device. its the boater thats going to have a problem if theyre not seen.

as far as entering the channel too quickly, i've posted this encounter many times. there were bad conditions one morning a few years ago, and while waiting at the courtesy dock a wco(short bald fella/white hair on sides/last name started with an "S," dont' remember his last name) came running out and issued a ticket to a boater for making a wake in the channel. best part was that the wco admitted to the guy that he didnt see the boater but one of the "computer broads/bathroom attendant/picture taker"(my words) said "whose mr. speedy coming into the channel"(wco's words)? fella pulled up to the dock and a wco told him to take his boat out and return to the dock. fella was issued a ticket for entering the channel/basin too quickly and making a wake. he apologized to us for making a wake and everybody's response was "i didnt see a wake." reputable charter captain was also there and said the same thing. anyway, shore fisherman may see conditions differently and there may not be a way for a boater to control the vessel in the channel.

personally, i always blow the horn and if conditions permit i will do my best to slow down/stop for somebody to pull in a line/fish. however, if the conditions do not permit and if other boats are coming through and cannot be steered around without causing a problem, i'm coming through. it's up to the shore fishermen to be responsible for their lines, not the boaters. you dont see boaters trolling, anchoring, or casting lines in the marina/channel.
    post edited by *commander* - 2008/09/27 21:14:50
    *commander*
    Pro Angler
    RE: the channel of walnut . the pro's & con's 2008/09/27 21:09:36 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: chrisrowboat

Keep it civil and say no fishing in the channel unless handicapped or a child with an adult.

good call.
    egg sac
    Expert Angler
    RE: the channel of walnut . the pro's & con's 2008/09/27 21:59:08 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: *commander*

i have never witnessed a boat that has not sounded a horn/noise device while entering or exiting the channel.

Realy?....Wow I spend maybe 3-5 days each early fall fishing the wall always on the south side away from the boats but most times I have fished thier I have seen boats( it does vary each time thier from all sounding off to almost half quiet as a mouse) never make a sound coming in and out, with many in very calm conditions making very exsessive wakes while going at a way to fast speed. I boat myself and know from just looking at the water and waves if its bad or not. Had this one guy come in so fast one day I though for sure he was going to crash into the wall making the turn in, he did not crash but did push enough water in a calm condition that it splashed over the wall. zero excuss for that behavior.

I can understand what Chrisrowboat is saying and I would not have a problem with making it a handicapted/ kids area after say Oct 1st (but be a all access again after December so the ice fisherman could enjoy it )after the fish have had a chance to get upsteam a spread people out a bit.

*commander*
    Pro Angler
    RE: the channel of walnut . the pro's & con's 2008/09/27 22:18:35 (permalink)
    not saying it doesnt happen. i only boat the mouthes a few times a year and have yet to see/hear a boat not sound off. imo if youre a boater and dont sound off entering and exiting its your own fault if a problem comes up.

did you say anything to the boat/boats that did this? not saying its you as ive never seen you comment on this topic before, however, like many topics, it seems like theres a lot of guys that say something about issues/problems here that dont say anything to the people that are causing the problem at the time it happens.
    egg sac
    Expert Angler
    RE: the channel of walnut . the pro's & con's 2008/09/28 06:40:53 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: *commander*

did you say anything to the boat/boats that did this? not saying its you as ive never seen you comment on this topic before, however, like many topics, it seems like theres a lot of guys that say something about issues/problems here that dont say anything to the people that are causing the problem at the time it happens.

Yes I did give him an ear full but all I got was a lame excuse about his motor having staled so he had to come in that fast so it did not stale again all the while having a good working kicker.lol

Myself I will not complain about something I see after the fact of observing it. I will let the person know as politely as possible(most times but can get a bit nasty if prevoked..lol) they were out of line. If I had a nickel for every time I called someone out for breaking fishing ,hunting and boat rules I could very easily aford to take my dream trip to Alaska.

jon_e_si
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: the channel of walnut . the pro's & con's 2008/09/28 07:36:12 (permalink)
    It's all about "MANNERS" good vs. bad! Remember the Golden Rule - Do unto others .....

Coming out of the channel the other day, we conversed with some of the wall fishermen - one who said a guy had a fish on and boat waited a little bit, then came on and cut the guy off - needless to say the guys (and gals) were ****ed. As we approached the exit, another guy had one on, I slipped it in neutral and told him "catch your fish"! When he got it over to the edge, they said go ahead and we proceeded. If I can't catch them, I enjoy some one else's success! I think everyone was appreciative and not resentful and it made for a better day!
    mothermoose
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 97
    RE: the channel of walnut . the pro's & con's 2008/09/28 15:14:44 (permalink)
    I just can't make my self fish on the wall with 40 other people. It just doesn't seam like fishing to me. It's more like a carnival game for 6 year old toddlers at the fair. 

MM
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: the channel of walnut . the pro's & con's 2008/09/28 22:40:55 (permalink)
    Here is what I don't understand, I see a WCO 90% of the time from June through august at the walnut launch, and they are more than happy to hand out citations to boaters, for not following the regulations.  How many citations have they handed out for people not reeling in lines?

Personally I wouldn't want to fish the wall because of the boats, guess I don't understand the fascination.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    Brad1
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 338
    RE: the channel of walnut . the pro's & con's 2008/09/29 05:12:54 (permalink)
    If you make it a law at Walnut Creek, you have to make it a law for every marina / harbor in the United States. How else would any boater entering Walnut Creek by boat for the first time be aware of any such law. Understand that not every boater that uses a marina launches, or permanently slips their boat there. There are manu people that travel (vacation) by water, stopping at marinas along the way to re-fuel, or maybe transient slip for the night, and it might be their first time at Walnut. What are you going to do, install huge lighted signs stating this law at the entrance of the channel at Walnut?
    Big Fathead
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: the channel of walnut . the pro's & con's 2008/09/29 09:06:32 (permalink)
    Reading these post just crack me up!

By law no wake means: Minumum bare steerage. Therefore you power your boat so you have control at all times navigating in a channel. (Walnut Creek).

Very few boats follow the Coast Guard rules! When a boat is leaving dock they should give 3 short blast when backing up and 1 prolonged blast when going forward.

The wall should be open to all fishermen BUT a handicapped section would be great.

Why sweat the small stuff? Go fish, If your on the shore clear your lines for the boats (It's the law), If you can't bring your fish in fairly quick get heavier line! The launches are for boats and the access is for boats so deal with the boats if thats were you want to fish!

If someone wants to change the laws I wpould say good luck! As someone mentioned above it wouldn't only be at Walnut Creek. It seems you would have to do that through the Federal Goverment. Theres nothing PA could do to change the rules in that channel that the USCG rules would not superceed. The laws that are in place are fine and if everyone follows them there would never be a problem.

Why can't we all just get along!
    seejib
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 268
    RE: the channel of walnut . the pro's & con's 2008/09/29 11:04:47 (permalink)
    Exactly, why can't we all just get along?! After all boaters and shore/wall fisherpeople have a common goal, catching fish. Please, everyone try and show a little humanity and follow the laws. Even if you don't agree with the law always, we still need to obey big brother or pay a fine. Sounds pretty simple to me. Maybe there should be a WCO officer that makes sure he informs everyone on the wall of the laws, I mean lets keep them busy, thats our money at work! After reading the post about the wake violation, an officer needs to watch the wall better.
    Jump to: