Look for the Klutz

Author
Cold
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 7358
  • Reward points: 0
2008/09/27 05:39:50 (permalink)

Look for the Klutz

I'm headed up to Erie in a few minutes.  If you're going to be out, look for Pitt hat, Pitt shirt, and a blank, confused expression, wrapped up in flyline with a bugger in a nearby tree.  If you see all these, ask if the guy is Cold. 

A free drink for any forum member I meet that introduces theirselves with a forum name I recognize!

14 Replies Related Threads

flyfishermanPA
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1495
    RE: Look for the Klutz 2008/09/28 12:02:54 (permalink)
    Cold, catch anything?
    schlemoc
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 184
    RE: Look for the Klutz 2008/09/28 17:15:08 (permalink)
    How'd you do?  Did you try that rainbow pattern I showed you if you got a chance to tie any up.  
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Look for the Klutz 2008/09/28 17:49:04 (permalink)
    Hmmmm....I might have seen you today.  Were you fishing the mud hole? 

Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Look for the Klutz 2008/09/28 18:15:25 (permalink)
    Actually, forgot to post an update here...

...decided at the last minute (literally was driving the car down the road I live on), to reroute, and instead fish local water.

No steel, obviously, but I did end up catching alot of very nice trout, so in a way, I'm glad I stuck around home.

Part of the reason I decided against it was that the guy that was gonna go up with me cancelled the night before (not a huge deal, it was a spur of the moment plan), and right now I'm in a rental car while mine gets repaired (hit while parked on the street at work ).  It seems to be in tip top shape, but I dont want to find out that the water pump is about ready to let loose while 2.5 hours from home.

Sorry to disappoint!

schlemoc, I've caught several trout on a semi-close approximation to the one you tie.  They seem to like to hit it on the swing-out, right as it gets to a point where it's directly downstream.  Just before it slows to a stop, I usually get a peck or two, then the take.  Its weird that they all strike it that way, as opposed to the more straightforward chomp-and-run that they do when they take a bugger.
    schlemoc
    Avid Angler
    RE: Look for the Klutz 2008/09/28 20:43:52 (permalink)
    Keep in mind that it is not a bugger immitation but a baby trout immitator.  That could be the reason on the change in attacks possibly.  Were you up on DHALO?  I thought about going up there today...  Let me know if you decide to head up later this week.
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6356
    RE: Look for the Klutz 2008/09/28 21:52:53 (permalink)
    if you are getting nips and then a take, that is because a trout will try to cripple a smaller fish by nipping at it to make it easier to kill.  In this case I think that means your fly is an excellent imitation of live bait.  Ever fish a minnow and pull it back in with the tail bitten off, and then throw it back and get a good strike?  Cest le Guerre!
    post edited by indsguiz - 2008/09/28 21:54:04

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    John 316
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 308
    RE: Look for the Klutz 2008/09/29 11:41:08 (permalink)
    So the free beverage stands for another time? 
    pxatim
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4786
    RE: Look for the Klutz 2008/09/29 11:58:52 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: John 3:16

So the free beverage stands for another time? 

haha if it does looks like he's buyin a round at the Night Before the One FLy

hahaha
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Look for the Klutz 2008/09/29 12:20:58 (permalink)
    If I go up next weekend, sure!  I'm not sure that I'd have enough left over for a One Fly patch if I bought one for everyone the next weekend. 
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Look for the Klutz 2008/10/04 04:17:03 (permalink)
    Going for real now.  Look for a Pitt hat, glasses, and poor fly fishing technique.

Drink offer still stands!
    flyfishermanPA
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1495
    RE: Look for the Klutz 2008/10/04 16:47:49 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Cold

Going for real now.  Look for a Pitt hat, glasses, and poor fly fishing technique.

Do any good? Last night I got the Erie urge. I could tell the steelhead rod in the corner was eyeing me, lol. Decided to stay close to home and glad. Caught 7 rainbows all over 20 inches. They felt like steelhead that's for sure.
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Look for the Klutz 2008/10/05 00:14:59 (permalink)
    One little one, right after an immediate hookup/breakoff with its big sister.  That was it all day.    So far, I'm quite unimpressed with the whole Erie experience...my day would have been much better spent in local trout streams as well.  The one steelie was great, and its not that I needed more, but that one steelie didnt make up fora day on the streams that was so crowded it was more like going to a Steeler game.

Tried to get off the beaten path, but I dont even know enough about most places to know where the beaten path is, let alone to get away from it.  In my experience today, if there weren't 10 people drifting a hole big enough for 2 fish, then there werent any fish in that location.  Managed to get a hole on lower walnut more or les to myself at daybreak, but as soon as I pulled that one out, I had about 5 guys crawling up my****to get the next one.  One guy came in and actually stood close enough to me that I could have touched him!

I still need to make a few more trips to give this a fair shot, but if the next few are anything like this, it'll probably be my one and only season of fishing Erie.  Nothing against the fish (or the people, I gues, for that matter...everyone I spoke to was friendly), its just the whole mentality.  Its why I dont go out for the first day of trout anymore (or do like I did this year, and fish for bass!).

One thing: when I went up in August to scout, there was a green dumpster in the parking lot beside the stop sign hole.  On my last trip back to the car, I picked up a good bit of trash lying around (two handfulls), planning to put it in there and poof!  no dumpster!  I threw the trash away elsewhere, but wondered what happened to the dumpster.

Hopefully off this Friday, gonna try it out again.  I'll probably focus more on bait this time as opposed to flies.
    schlemoc
    Avid Angler
    RE: Look for the Klutz 2008/10/05 10:33:21 (permalink)
    Cold,
    If you stick around after the one fly and the PSA banquet i'll show you a few places to go that I know of where there aren't a whole lot of people.  The whole crowd does get on your nerves, but it dies down a little as the season goes on.  I'm glad you got one though.  It took 3 trips before I started to actually do well, so chin up. 
    pxatim
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4786
    RE: Look for the Klutz 2008/10/06 08:51:41 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Cold

One little one, right after an immediate hookup/breakoff with its big sister.  That was it all day.    So far, I'm quite unimpressed with the whole Erie experience...my day would have been much better spent in local trout streams as well.  The one steelie was great, and its not that I needed more, but that one steelie didnt make up fora day on the streams that was so crowded it was more like going to a Steeler game.

Tried to get off the beaten path, but I dont even know enough about most places to know where the beaten path is, let alone to get away from it.  In my experience today, if there weren't 10 people drifting a hole big enough for 2 fish, then there werent any fish in that location.  Managed to get a hole on lower walnut more or les to myself at daybreak, but as soon as I pulled that one out, I had about 5 guys crawling up my****to get the next one.  One guy came in and actually stood close enough to me that I could have touched him!

I still need to make a few more trips to give this a fair shot, but if the next few are anything like this, it'll probably be my one and only season of fishing Erie.  Nothing against the fish (or the people, I gues, for that matter...everyone I spoke to was friendly), its just the whole mentality.  Its why I dont go out for the first day of trout anymore (or do like I did this year, and fish for bass!).

One thing: when I went up in August to scout, there was a green dumpster in the parking lot beside the stop sign hole.  On my last trip back to the car, I picked up a good bit of trash lying around (two handfulls), planning to put it in there and poof!  no dumpster!  I threw the trash away elsewhere, but wondered what happened to the dumpster.

Hopefully off this Friday, gonna try it out again.  I'll probably focus more on bait this time as opposed to flies.

Cold.. don't get discouraged just yet.. it's always like that this time of year. Nov-Jan you won't have near the crowds or pressure. As fish get up stream it will thin the crowds out. Just be willing to walk.
    Jump to: