Author
fisherofmen376
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2215
  • Reward points: 0
2008/09/25 09:19:13 (permalink)

camp allegheny fishing spots

Hello everyone,
I will be at a place called Camp Allegheny in November.  Anyone ever heard of it, and is there any place to fish around?  I'm not looking for super secret spots, I'm just not familiar with the area.  Thanks for your help.

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19

5 Replies Related Threads

D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    RE: camp allegheny fishing spots 2008/09/25 09:43:36 (permalink)
    I know Camp Allegheny well, I've done alot of work for the camp, never stayed there.

The best spot is right blow their overflow weir/dam.  It's a big scour hole below the dam, and the smallmouth like it there.  Just be careful.  You're not allowed "on" the dam.  But it's very wadable below the dam and you can cast up into the scour hole, conditions permitting, obviously.

The dam makes a flat pool on the camp's property that they use to pull water for their water treatment plant/drinking water.  It's pretty silted in and feeatureless.  But above the flat pool there are some nice riffles and runs.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    RE: camp allegheny fishing spots 2008/09/25 10:44:54 (permalink)
    Assuming you're talking about the Camp Allegheny in Stoystown on Rt. 30, I worked there for two summers back in college ('94 & '95).  I don't remember ever seeing much in the creek that runs through camp, except a few chubs and crayfish.  I seem to remember a few panfish in the pool where the dam is.  There might be some brook trout in there somewhere, but I never had time to try it out when I worked there.  But, that was a long time ago, so things may have changed since then.  Haven't been there since '97.

You are pretty close to Stony Creek and , I believe, Shade Creek there.  Indian Lake is not far either.  Never fished any of those, so I can't speak to what you might find in November.  But I know that Stony Creek and Indian Lake have been spoken of on this board in the past.  Thinking Kyler might know something about them.

You're also about 20 minutes or so from Lake Somerset.  Check the archives for reports on this lake, as I've only fished there a handful of times. 

I'd also imagine if you do a little looking around on some topo maps of the area that you could probably find a few streams that hold brook trout. 
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    RE: camp allegheny fishing spots 2008/09/25 11:30:14 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: rsquared

Assuming you're talking about the Camp Allegheny in Stoystown on Rt. 30, I worked there for two summers back in college ('94 & '95).  I don't remember ever seeing much in the creek that runs through camp, except a few chubs and crayfish.  I seem to remember a few panfish in the pool where the dam is.  There might be some brook trout in there somewhere, but I never had time to try it out when I worked there.  But, that was a long time ago, so things may have changed since then.  Haven't been there since '97.

You are pretty close to Stony Creek and , I believe, Shade Creek there.  Indian Lake is not far either.  Never fished any of those, so I can't speak to what you might find in November.  But I know that Stony Creek and Indian Lake have been spoken of on this board in the past.  Thinking Kyler might know something about them.

You're also about 20 minutes or so from Lake Somerset.  Check the archives for reports on this lake, as I've only fished there a handful of times. 

I'd also imagine if you do a little looking around on some topo maps of the area that you could probably find a few streams that hold brook trout. 

Ha, I didn't know there were two "Camp Alleghenies".

The one I was speaking of is in Lawrence County, on Slippery Rock Creek.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    RE: camp allegheny fishing spots 2008/09/25 12:10:56 (permalink)
    That's funny D-nymph.  Your description of the stream that runs through camp, the silt filled pool above the dam, etc, was right on, but on a much smaller scale than Slippery Rock Creek.  The creek at this camp is more of a trickle. 

You talking about the smallmouth below the dam, I was like, "What?"   I was about to kick myself for never fishing for smallmouth there.  Funny stuff. 
    fallscity1
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 14
    RE: camp allegheny fishing spots 2008/09/26 10:18:59 (permalink)
    great area to fish. The scour hole is loaded with smallies, my favorite is a salty tube. If you have a small box of trout lures and spinners take them too, as the area is loaded with rock bass and blue gill. If you are a little adventureous head down stream around the bend, the deeper water is on the right descending bank and it holds bass, trout, walleye... most of your fresh water species. I have never trout fished the area, but it is approved and stocked, it may get a fall influx. Have fun and be careful.
    Jump to: