Switzerland bans.....

Author
kyler16
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2396
  • Reward points: 0
2008/09/20 03:13:00 (permalink)

Switzerland bans.....

In my latest issue of American angler, there was an article I found to be very very odd and actually upsetting. Switzerland voted in may to ban catch and release angling! I thought that was insane then I read the germany makes anglers take a 30 hour course just to get a license. What is the world coming to?

"If you kill it, eat it. If you eat it, cook it right."
-Steve Rinella

7 Replies Related Threads

orvis09
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 38
    RE: Switzerland bans..... 2008/09/20 06:01:01 (permalink)
    that seems a bit stupid. maybe we should all have to take a 30 hour course to be able to fish the tribs. which in some cases might prove useful.
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: Switzerland bans..... 2008/09/20 08:46:30 (permalink)
    A 30 hour course would weed out alot of the morons on the water, but it'd never happen in PA.  The state makes way too much money off of license sales to those morons to want to alienate them.
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6356
    RE: Switzerland bans..... 2008/09/20 08:56:06 (permalink)
    Actually, having taken the German course it would make a LOT of sense if we had such a course in the USA.  You should try to take their hunter course!  In the German fishing course you are taught how to identify certain types of fish.  Lots of fishing etiquette.  How to properly fish (rules and regulations). Respect for private property. And respect for the resource! Almost all the fishing in Germany is done on private water.  The land owner usually owns the water and the fish in it and you normally have to pay for the fish you take.  You learn some very specific rules. And you learn about limits and seasons.  PLUS if you knowingly violate any of the rules you loose your license and the right to fish!  Plus the landowner/fishowner can and will turn you in for violations of fishing laws and their rules carry weight.  I never saw anybody, with the exception of some fishermen fishing for carp in public parks, leave anything beside the stream or violate a fishing law.
        In Germany they actually have contests to see how many trash fish teams can catch to help control excessive populations in certain lakes/streams, all other fish must be immediately returne to the water.  And their lure/bait rules can drive a sane man to drink.  (but that's OK cause most of us can walk to where we want to drink.)   I once fished in a small lake in Berlin Germany where the rule for the day was a small fish about like a smelt and the object was to catch kilos of the things using about #16-18 hooks and single maggots on what looked like noodle rods!  Most fish caught won a prize and the cook fried up about 300 of them.  By some abstract stretch of luck I managed to catch a schlee (carp/goldfish) about 14" long and that was the trophy fish for the day.  One German man told me he had fished the lake for 10 years and had never landed a trophy fish like that? ? ?
        I may come off as an elitist but if you wish to fish in Germany, and you can pass the course, and you obey the laws there are some excellent fishing opportunities.  And, in my opinion, it weeds out the people who cause so much trouble along the streams here in the US.  Imagine if you would lose your license for tossing a tangle of line into the weeds, or leaving a Micky D's bag along the creek.  Deliberately snag a fish?  Big no-no!  Keep more than your limit?  A very hefty fine plus paying extra for the fish.  I have fished areas where there were slot limits, line limits, lure limits, bait limits etc.  It all just adds to the challenge.  Picture if you will; paying a landowner for the right to fish for a trophy Brown trout>  The creek is full of fish, BUT you are only allowed to keep a fish 50 cm (about 19 in) long.  I must have said  "dang it another small 14-16" brownie"  20 time before I caught my trophy.  Then it's time for congratulations fellowship and, of course, BEER!  On the other hand I once fished on a farm, where I had the pleasure of becoming friends with the landowner, who wanted me to "Help" him catch about 100 14-16" trout for market. He was intrigued by fly fishing, had never done it.  He and his father before him had owned this farm and raised fish for maybe 60 years and he had never fly fished! The land owner can and usually does raise fish for market purposes, esp in smaller towns and smaller creeks. And most fish are harvested by netting unless there is a rule against it.  Now there was a day!  Did you ever actually get tired of catching trout?
        They do practice C & R and they observe the fish populations closely to determine optimum #s since the land owner has a responsibility to maintain his property to facilitate the fish (ing).   It's tough but rewarding.
    post edited by indsguiz - 2008/09/20 09:01:00

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    elephanthead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1057
    RE: Switzerland bans..... 2008/09/20 09:35:10 (permalink)
    Brother just came back from England & said there's nowhere to fish cause it's all private (owned  by clubs etc) or state owned land.
    kyler16
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2396
    RE: Switzerland bans..... 2008/09/20 11:42:17 (permalink)
    It says the swiss actually have a course on "humane" ways of killing the fish right away so you dont make any mistake not to release theam.

The germany rule i like. Id sit through a 500 hour course just to fish one hour. thats how much the sport means to me. 

So thats why i find the swiss to be actually out of their minds!

"If you kill it, eat it. If you eat it, cook it right."
    -Steve Rinella
    Deadbolt401
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3029
    RE: Switzerland bans..... 2008/09/20 16:17:52 (permalink)
    Just another great Idea by the germans.
    Stillhead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1887
    RE: Switzerland bans..... 2008/09/20 19:04:55 (permalink)
    I say we nuke them both.
    Jump to: