never cought one in the river

Author
cotsy
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 15
  • Reward points: 0
2008/09/10 13:15:57 (permalink)

never cought one in the river

I have never cought one in the salmon river. My father has just not me. We launch from the state park launch. We usually go to the willow hole, the refrigerator hole, of the trough across from the launch. I have a rod for salmon/steel head and use egg sacks. The hooks are the ones you can buy in any bait shop in and around town for salmon. Any pointers? I know it is a patient game but I have been going for about fifteen years with no luck, my father has usually gotten about 1 every 2 years, so i was just wondering if any one was better than I and could give some pointers. 
post edited by cotsy - 2008/09/10 14:03:17

18 Replies Related Threads

pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: never cought one in the river 2008/09/10 14:09:01 (permalink)
    cotsy,I think you're BSing us,if not you are either the most patient or the worst fisherman out there!
    cotsy
    New Angler
    RE: never cought one in the river 2008/09/10 14:37:55 (permalink)
    I have never cought one in the river. I do not snag or "lift" I started going with my father when I was 13 years old. We have cought them on the lake trolling and that was even with his row boat with a small merc motor. Like I said though I have never got one on the river cuz I do not snag or "lift". This is all near the mouth of the river though, does that make a difference.
    McFishin
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 199
    RE: never cought one in the river 2008/09/10 15:10:08 (permalink)
    Go up river near the village. Find one of the many deep holes or runs(if they are in them) and throw something big and bright/flashy(i use maribou jigs or streamers like for fly fishing). may take a few casts but eventually you'll **** em off.....
    SPIKER
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 165
    RE: never cought one in the river 2008/09/10 16:36:16 (permalink)
    Learn to line them first,then when you evolve you can try to get them to bite.Then when you learn they dont bite go back to lining them!

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: never cought one in the river 2008/09/10 17:13:05 (permalink)

cotsy:
    here is my take on the situation why you have not caught a salmon in the river.

You are "fishing" but not in the right location(s).
    What I mean by this, and yes I know the willow, trailer and all the estuary spots. I know all the tricks and so called secret baits. Sure you see tons of fish being "hooked" and jumping around but are they feeding/striking ? Heck no , they are swirling around like fish in a barrel scared for their life. A Salmon is not in the river to feed and I said this before, you can catch fish in the estuary when the pressure is low and they are feeding/striking. The Salmon that are there amongst the many (whalers) boat to boat are 99.9% foul hooked.
    If you fish a sucker hole (as I call it) than you're a sucker (Figure of speech and mean no disrespect to you). I am not saying a Salmon wont strike there but that is where the .1% comes in. Fish those areas for trout when un pressured like late Oct, Nov.
    There are sucker holes all through out the river . I always say avoid them.
    Fish for Salmon in staging and migration areas, not pools and holding areas.
    Find these places and learn their migration routes and that's where you will find salmon striking , not feeding.

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    SPIKER
    Avid Angler
    RE: never cought one in the river 2008/09/10 17:37:02 (permalink)
    Agreed Tuna,If your trying to get them to bite ya better have alot of time/patience on your hands.If not your going to go home empty handed,like you are!

99.9 percent of the fisherman are lining/snagging them,don't let no one tell ya differently.I go up there for hook ups not to look like a sucker in a sucker hole,it is what it is and thats salmon fishing.
    mxdad66
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 751
    RE: never cought one in the river 2008/09/10 19:21:12 (permalink)
    Sounds like you need more weight to get your bait to the bottom,have to feelthat tic,tic on the bottom.If you are on the bottom you will catch them.
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    RE: never cought one in the river 2008/09/10 19:43:12 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: SPIKER

Agreed Tuna,If your trying to get them to bite ya better have alot of time/patience on your hands.If not your going to go home empty handed,like you are!

99.9 percent of the fisherman are lining/snagging them,don't let no one tell ya differently.I go up there for hook ups not to look like a sucker in a sucker hole,it is what it is and thats salmon fishing.

If the hook is IN the mouth,did the fish hit the lure or was it lined?90% of the fish that I play with are hooked in the mouth,and at times I do fish the deeper holes.
    McFishin
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 199
    RE: never cought one in the river 2008/09/10 20:01:15 (permalink)
    same here pa fisher
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: never cought one in the river 2008/09/10 20:37:26 (permalink)
    more weight and ticking the bottom, getting hung up often, only increases your chance to foul hook or line a salmon. And Yes I'm talking salmon here in 60's deg. water.
    A salmon that is not actively spawning will not strike down.
    An active striking salmon will move across or UP to take your offer on the swing.

In 335 water I will usually go no larger than a bb shot, even in moving water (where you should be fishing). I loose very little if any in a days fishing to the river, a king yes but to the water, it's rare.
    I do not (will not) have those big #'s you may hear of 30>50 "hook-ups" but again we catch our fair share of fish.

Take this as you wish but this is how I teach people to fish for Salmon in the rivers & streams. Others fish differently and that's fine.

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    SPIKER
    Avid Angler
    RE: never cought one in the river 2008/09/10 21:25:04 (permalink)
    Yes actually less weight can be better than dragging bottom for lining fish in the mouth.You actually want your presentation above bottom around 7-10 inches with a tight line,thats exactly where there mouth is in representation to the bottom.Swing that bait right in there MOUTH and set the hook!!!!!

metalslayer
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 689
    RE: never cought one in the river 2008/09/10 21:26:04 (permalink)
    Tuna--we agree for the most part(weight and trying to stay above).It's hard to deal in absolutes though.I had a nice female(mono on fly rod--no weight),grab a Jensen egg 3x b4 I finally realized what was going on( I couldn't see the egg).Every pass the fish would roll--like a trout picking up nymphs.The 3rd time I set and it was deep inside the mouth.

Steel on a pin---so easy a caveman can do it.
    SPIKER
    Avid Angler
    RE: never cought one in the river 2008/09/10 21:32:10 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: pafisher

If the hook is IN the mouth,did the fish hit the lure or was it lined?

Does it actually matter to you either way,if it was snagged in the tail just release it.Or even keep it,wouldnt matter to me if I was standing next to you fishing!
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    RE: never cought one in the river 2008/09/11 01:05:08 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: pafisher

If the hook is IN the mouth,did the fish hit the lure or was it lined?

Does it actually matter to you either way,if it was snagged in the tail just release it.Or even keep it,wouldnt matter to me if I was standing next to you fishing!

Spiker,my point is that they do hit.If you line them the hook will be on the outside of the mouth not inside.
    Another question would be why do they swallow skien/eggsacks and crush lures on the drift boats,I even had a banner day using nightcrawlers but that day I was trying to catch brownies could n't get it past the salmon.They will move and smash streamers on the swing.They do HIT,you can catch them ethically if you FISH for them!
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    RE: never cought one in the river 2008/09/11 01:09:58 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: metalslayer

Tuna--we agree for the most part(weight and trying to stay above).It's hard to deal in absolutes though.I had a nice female(mono on fly rod--no weight),grab a Jensen egg 3x b4 I finally realized what was going on( I couldn't see the egg).Every pass the fish would roll--like a trout picking up nymphs.The 3rd time I set and it was deep inside the mouth.
    The jensen egg is a very good lure for salmon,I know you've been using it for years.
    You still carrying that basket on your back?
    waDerboy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1910
    RE: never cought one in the river 2008/09/11 03:00:39 (permalink)
    If you are going to  fish the estuary put some styrofoam balls in your sacs. 
    metalslayer
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 689
    RE: never cought one in the river 2008/09/11 05:19:08 (permalink)
    I'm getting too old for the basket--unless I'm aiming to pack out a fish---or stay for lunch.

Steel on a pin---so easy a caveman can do it.
    cotsy
    New Angler
    RE: never cought one in the river 2008/09/11 08:07:39 (permalink)
    I hear you say it can not be done proper near the mouth of the river. My father has cought two that way. Lifting them however he has done many. I suck at that part too. The two he cought legally however the first one hit light, so light that he thought it was a perch playing with his bait after a few minutes he got ****ed off and jerked the rod hard and then fish on, the second one he cought legally grabbed the egg sack hit it hard and ran, maybe those two times were just flukes. But thanks for the imput. My father wants to put his boat in the water on sat around 5am so any one going up see you there.
    Jump to: