Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Author
mothermoose
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 97
  • Reward points: 0
2008/09/09 19:07:17 (permalink)

Lets build 2 perfect lake erie boats

I say 2 because I want a boat slipped and one for fishing ohio, ny,and ontario.. So lets call it big boat, little boat. Vision Quest is a good example.

Little boat : outboard or inboard ?   1 motor or 2 ? kicker?   cuddy? Walk around? Hard top or soft? length ? auto pilot? fish finder? navigation? wet sink? downrigger ?  list all your options down to the rod and reel brand name.

Personally I'm would look for a ruff water hull,2 outboards,cuddy,26ft. hard top,furnuo sonar/gps..

Whats your perfect boat?

MM

95 Replies Related Threads

CRANKMASTER
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 256
    RE: Lets build 2 perfect lake erie boats 2008/09/09 20:10:52 (permalink)
    LOL ! This should be called "DREAM BOAT" for me, LOL !  But I'll start it with a Grady White 305 Express !!!  
    Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1834
    RE: Lets build 2 perfect lake erie boats 2008/09/09 20:24:38 (permalink)
    I was gonna start this thread as well off the Boats that Sink Thread...Good Job Moose.

Big Boat:
    1st Choice Steiger 26 Miami with Twin 250 Suzuki Outboards

Second Choice:
    Parker 2510 XLD

Little Boat:
    Lund Pro V GL With 300 Verado (thing has to haul****

For Electronics, Furuno Color Fishfinder, Garmin GPS, Nautimatic Hydro Auto-Pilot (gladiator series), Vector Rod Holders, Vector Downriggers...Not worried about kicker on the big boats those new outboards are very economic to run, 4-6 gallon of gas in 8hrs trolling...
    post edited by Carpet Bagger - 2008/09/09 20:31:27

CB
    I never thought I'd say this, but I love my Sport-Craft!
    steelheadman28
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 393
    RE: Lets build 2 perfect lake erie boats 2008/09/09 20:49:39 (permalink)
    Just an empty hull 24ft carolina skiff. With and 200 hp honda on the back so i can go pull some crab pots. Supposedly some skiffs are made so they are unsinkable
    mothermoose
    Novice Angler
    RE: Lets build 2 perfect lake erie boats 2008/09/09 20:57:46 (permalink)
    big boat Tiara
    Storm Warning 2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 583
    RE: Lets build 2 perfect lake erie boats 2008/09/09 21:03:27 (permalink)
    Well, like you said, here is the VQ IV.  The ultimate "trailer-able" tourney/fishing boat.  I've had the privilege of manning the helm of the IV on a couple brief occassions and its ALL THAT, and a bag of chips.  If I had the cash, I'd already own this boat.  $29,900 is a GREAT price for this boat!  Look at it, ITS CHERRY!  I would have to get a bunch of NK stickers for it, so everybody knew I wasn't Pete though.  LOL!

If I could only have one boat, I think this would be it, if not the 3000 Open.  Ran into a BEAUTIFUL 2002 or 3 3000 Open at Olcott and drooled over it for a couple hours.  The guy that owned it had nothing but great things to say (except the gas bill). 

Someday if I ever sell enough insurance to become a part-time agent/full time fisherman, this is the rig I will be looking at.

I'd definitel get a hard top made and add rocket launcher, 2 riggers, a track mount rod holder system, etc., but this is the canvas. 

BTW...  If you are ever looking to borrow a tourney winning "captain" or good 1st mate, let me know, be more than happy to help out.
    post edited by Storm Warning 2 - 2008/09/09 21:11:07
    mothermoose
    Novice Angler
    RE: Lets build 2 perfect lake erie boats 2008/09/09 21:03:40 (permalink)
    little boat
    Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    RE: Lets build 2 perfect lake erie boats 2008/09/09 22:02:20 (permalink)

Judge 27 Chesapeake...Awesome ride!

CB
    Lovgren69
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 245
    RE: Lets build 2 perfect lake erie boats 2008/09/09 22:36:57 (permalink)
    I'll add a boat to the "Small" boat list. 
    Ranger 620VS w/ Mercury 250 Pro XS and 9.9. Merc Kicker.  I'll pass on all the hype about the Mercury Verado's and other four strokes out there.  The Two-Strokes blow them away on performance, and get just as good if not better fuel economy.  Look @ Mercury's website under their Engine tests if you don't believe this!! 
    If you need a boat that does everything and can still toss on the trailer, fish a bass tournament, hit the Great Lakes, water-ski, etc...This is your machine!
    Now if I only had 50,000k to upgrade my 1995 Ranger...
    Big Fathead
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: Lets build 2 perfect lake erie boats 2008/09/09 23:25:02 (permalink)
    Big Boat Choice 1 Boston Whaler Conquest 345
    post edited by Big Fathead - 2008/09/09 23:32:42

Attached Image(s)

Big Fathead
    Expert Angler
    RE: Lets build 2 perfect lake erie boats 2008/09/09 23:30:39 (permalink)
    Big Boat Choice 2 Grady White
    post edited by Big Fathead - 2008/09/09 23:32:17

Attached Image(s)

Big Fathead
    Expert Angler
    RE: Lets build 2 perfect lake erie boats 2008/09/09 23:37:29 (permalink)
    Just my second boat, Not for Erie!
    post edited by Big Fathead - 2008/09/09 23:38:18

Attached Image(s)

earlysecond
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 212
    RE: Lets build 2 perfect lake erie boats 2008/09/10 00:11:14 (permalink)
    I have asked this same question very recently in the thread that Carpet Bagger mentioned.  I am so ignorant that I do not know what I want.  Is there really an all purpose big water boat.  It is really interesting to me that the criteria for this post was a total of 2 boats.  I think that I understand the distinction in that one boat would need to be trailerable?  I approach this thread from a much different angle.  Maybe I should not even be playing the game as I do not desire a boat parked in a slip.  I am too far away to regularly enjoy it.  Three years ago I "built" the perfect boat.  That is to say, the perfect boat for "small waters".  I started with an 18' modified jon boat.  Nearly the whole space inside the boat is open.  Seating, dry box and yet to be completed livewell are "modular" (they can be moved around and secured nearly anywhere in the boat or completly removed).  The boat easily converts from a comfortable fishing boat to a full camo duck hunting boat.  I really like this boat, it has 24" sidewalls but I would not bring it to Erie unless I knew somehow that the water would be calm.  I digress as usual.

I dream about building the perfect, trailerable, Big Water boat.  Based on a single trip to Lake Erie this summer.  I believe that my perfect boat would be aluminum, I prefer the outboard set up used in recent years which places the outboart well away from the transom (not sure what this is called).  I would prefer that my dream boat had a hard top.  I would like the controls as FAR FORWARD as possible to allow a huge, open deck space.  I do not think that I even desire a small cabin. Maybe somebody could share what you actually use some of the smaller cabins I see in 20-25ft boats?  It looks, largely, like wasted space to me!  Yeah, you could sleep in there. Does anybody do this with regularity.  I guess that since I have to pay to stay when I come up, that a cabin would provide a home away from home BUT I am not sure that I could ever sleep a wink on a boat LOL.

I really have enjoyed the dream boats posted so far.  When I know better what I want, I would like to draw it up and share it.  I lack the specific skill to do this on a computer.

Hopefully, if I were ever able to live this boat dream, I would use it more than the last dream I had. . .a 1970 Camaro that I fully restored and drive <10 times every summer!!

It is good to dream so carry on!
    Brent
    Storm Warning 2
    Expert Angler
    RE: Lets build 2 perfect lake erie boats 2008/09/10 01:38:22 (permalink)
    I think we have a boat similar to that in the Storm Warning II Brent.  If you can still find the Starcraft Holiday in a 23'er (I think that is as large as they made them), you've basically got the boat you are looking for sans the hard top.  It might be old and a little unsightly, but she trailers very well and fishes pretty well (except going into or quartering into).  The controls are far forward and it offers comfortable seating for 4 under the soft top as well as a large cockpit to fish out of.  On a flat lake can haul the mail with most "big" boats (tops out with 4 guys at around 38.5 mph).  When we find the motor we are looking for, we are probably going to take the power plant up to rating at 225 and should be able to achieve mid 40s with 4 guys on a flat lake.  (Have to go to the O for that one, Erie has been a pain in the butt and teeth this year!)

Starcraft no longer makes a boat like it.  The Islander is similar, but doesn't afford the large cockpit space you are looking for. 
    Brad1
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 338
    RE: Lets build 2 perfect lake erie boats 2008/09/10 05:49:52 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Carpet Bagger

Judge 27 Chesapeake...Awesome ride!

CB,

Have you ridden in that boat on rough water? I would be skeptical of the ride given it's very shallow deadrise. Seems like it would pound pretty badly if you tried to run that thing on a rough Lake Erie. The sharper the deadrise angle, the better the ride in rough conditions. Conversely, a sharper deadrise angle takes more power to get up on plane and burns more fuel. Can also be a little less stable at rest.

Personally, I wouldn't want a hull with less than 20 degrees deadrise for use on Lake Erie. I went from an 18 degree deadrise with my Proline, to a 20 degree with my Grady White and the increased deadrise makes a big difference. My Grady lands softly when coming down off a wave where my Proline would pound. Took me a couple years to get used to once I had my Grady. I would prepare myself for the pounding of the hull (as I would experience with the Proline), only for it never to happen. Proline has since increased the deadrise of thier hulls. I'm sure it was for the reason I just described. There's also a reason why those offshore hulls have a really steep deadrise. Contender for instance.

Brad
    Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    RE: Lets build 2 perfect lake erie boats 2008/09/10 08:52:59 (permalink)
    Brad according to what I have been told the Judge is a bear on the water.  I have been talking to B-Faithful on the hull truth as well as Bill Judge and these guys are sold on the whole shallow deadrise with extremly sharp entry.  They are made to ride through waves not over them..Because of the shallower deadrise they plane at a much slower speed allowing you to Cut water rather than fly through it falling 4ft with a thud.  Its got some design...and id love to take it for a ride...Might go see Bill Judge this fall actually.

The Judge is completly free of strakes and reverse chines and is fairly flat in the transom.  They use trim tabs and the hull to make the big bow "dig" in to deal with the rough stuff.  They are designed for the chesapeake bay which has similar wave and water conditions as the great lakes.  Quick chop with very little space in between.  These guys swear by em.. The shallow deadrise also makes them very stable at a drift or at a slow troll which is another advantage...Those 24degree deadrise boats like albemarle, contender, carolina classic are nice, but they rock and roll pretty good on a troll or drift and cost big bucks when you put the throttle down. 

Judge is proud of their all composite constrution...Im not 100% sold on it, but i love the look of the boat...

As far as an all purpose big water boat as early second is mentioning....A center console to most is considered a good multi-purpose boat.  You can troll em, cast off the front, they ride good, you have room for sun bathers, they are powerful enough to tube...Keep in mind though the FURTHER FORWARD your controls are the more of a beating the boat you are going to take while operating....

One of the most important things in the build is the hardwear...Its where alot of builders spend alot of money making the boats fit and finish alot nicer, but alot more expensive too.  Brass or Stainless Thru-Hulls with sea-cocks on all underwater fittings, Welded Bow Rails, Pop Up Cleats...some really go the extra mile to make their boats nice and last a lifetime.
    post edited by Carpet Bagger - 2008/09/10 11:59:07

CB
    earlysecond
    Avid Angler
    RE: Lets build 2 perfect lake erie boats 2008/09/10 09:05:43 (permalink)
    CB-  good point, really far forward controls. . .bad for the ride there and back, good the whole time you are trolling (with an autopilot or a tiller kicker).  I have looked at Islanders, saw a bunch when I was up.  There are some around here in fact there is one for sale locally.  Not sure about a Holiday.  If I built I would be looking for a really solid hull.  I believe that I would want to customize the rest.  The motor portion of the driveline, no problem.  The guy that I fish with most owns an automotive machine shop.  So far, since I have known him, we have stashed several 3.0litres a 4.3l and a couple of usable v8's.  Outboards are a different story.  Between the 2 of us 5 outboards but nothing bigger than 75.

I will check out some of the older hulls.  Is that a simple place that I can learn most of the basic terms that are being used here (ie. deadrise, freeboard)  I do not want to bug you guys but I am a green, novice.

There is probably more money spent hull design R&D than most other aspects of the boats.

Thanks,
    Brent
    Big Fathead
    Expert Angler
    RE: Lets build 2 perfect lake erie boats 2008/09/10 10:21:10 (permalink)
    I would not consider any riveted aluminum boats, unless you like leaks! My opinion on the best aluminum boat for the money is the Crestliner Sabre, Check out one in the late 80's or early 90'2 with a SST transom (Space Saver Transom), Unbelievable the amount of room you get inside, very high freeboard, outboad offshore box from the factory, they make a 19', 22', and a real nice 24' but not sure if the 24 had the sst transom. These boats handle the water very well and of course the bigger ones handle better. With an all welded hull you never have to worry about leaks. Even the 24' is pretty easy on a 1/2 ton truck. Them boats are worth the time to check out. The biggest downfall with them is the paint. It fades and chalks if the boat wasn't stored inside. Just my thoughts!
    post edited by Big Fathead - 2008/09/10 13:13:49
    Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    RE: Lets build 2 perfect lake erie boats 2008/09/10 10:34:42 (permalink)
    Deadrise is the degree, or how sharp you boat is at the transom.  The higher the number the sharper the V in the back of the boat.  This translates to how the boat will ride in rough water.  The deeper the V in the rear the smoother it will ride while under power and the better it will take the rough stuff at high speeds.  However the counterpart of a deep V is they are very prone to rock at a drift...90% of the popular builders for "great lake" boats (ie:Trophy, Baha, Sportcraft, Thompson, Penn Yan) dont use very deep Vs in their construction. 

Freeboard is term used for how high the cockpit (fishing deck) is.  Generally anything that goes over your knees (24-30") is acceptable for being considered deep...Its nice to have deep freeboard, but again it has its disadvantages.  I used to first mate on a 31 Baha while I went to college.  We had 10ft nets and you still couldnt net the fish until it was right in the back corner of the boat, cause you sat so high and had freeboard up to almost your waist.   

It is design and proper engineering that are used to give the boat proper rough water capability.  Materials used for production (and how much),  Proper deadrise, Entry, chine placement, strake placement, all play into how a boat is going to handle and perform for you...Little things matter in boat production, and its those little things that cost the big bucks when you go to buy, but its all those little details that allow that boat to be better, last longer, ride better, hold its value, and hold up to the abuse of salt water...Which ultimatly all mid to high-end boats are designed for.

Carolina built boats are built with deep Vs on a 3-1 ratio (albemarle and carolina classic are good examples of this).  For every 3ft of length there is 1ft of width and alot of bow flare to boot.  Downeast style boats run on a flat transom with a large bow with sharp entry.  And alot of other boats are just drawn up with little engineering or thought, Fiberglass is chop gunned in, they float, and a motor is thrown in and off you go boating...lol

As Ol Fathead said rivited aluminum boats are prone to leak if you pound em.  Similarly to glass its all a matter of doing them right to avoid the problem.  Lund and Starcraft both make very very good rivited aluminum boats...I have helped a friend though put new rivits in his islander.  The Lund Pro-V is one of the most popular walleye tournament boats made as well and it is rivited.

The welded aluminum is slick though.

Heres a nice big welded aluminum boat: Ask Pacific Time about these boats!  He will Impress you!
    Pacific 2600 all Welded Aluminum!
    4600lbs of pure metal design...Very nice!

post edited by Carpet Bagger - 2008/09/10 10:58:55

CB
    Brad1
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 338
    RE: Lets build 2 perfect lake erie boats 2008/09/10 11:59:37 (permalink)

The welded aluminum is slick though.

Heres a nice big welded aluminum boat: Ask Pacific Time about these boats!  He will Impress you!
    Pacific 2600 all Welded Aluminum!
    4600lbs of pure metal design...Very nice!

Ahhhh, the Pacific. Also sold by Black Lab. Beautiful boats. I received a brochure from them earlier this year. They glue a sample of the hull material to the inside of the brochure.  A piece roughly 1.5" by 1.5" in area. The stuff is 1/4" inch thick! I'm still mulling over the purchase of one. If it wasn't for the volitility of oil right now I think I'd own one.
    mothermoose
    Novice Angler
    RE: Lets build 2 perfect lake erie boats 2008/09/10 12:10:43 (permalink)
    My 24'6"x8'6"   1990 crestliner sabre is all alum. no rivits...  trailers real well ...flys in the water.... only down fall is trolling ... You have to troll with the waves ... also has a dance floor fishing room..

MM
    Storm Warning 2
    Expert Angler
    RE: Lets build 2 perfect lake erie boats 2008/09/10 13:49:20 (permalink)
    The Storm has had a couple leaks, but its really not that big a procedure to pull a couple floor boards and pound a couple new rivets.  2 bilges to be safe doesn't hurt either.  But hey!  The old girl is old enough to drink beer.  You're gonna have a few mechanical fixes here and there.

That Pacific Time I believe runs around $60K new too!  I think I'll stick with the used $29,900 2700 Open. 

Danjae
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 26
    RE: Lets build 2 perfect lake erie boats 2008/09/10 14:50:36 (permalink)

I was gonna start this thread as well off the Boats that Sink Thread...Good Job Moose.

Big Boat:
    1st Choice Steiger 26 Miami with Twin 250 Suzuki Outboards

Second Choice:
    Parker 2510 XLD

Little Boat:
    Lund Pro V GL With 300 Verado (thing has to haul****

For Electronics, Furuno Color Fishfinder, Garmin GPS, Nautimatic Hydro Auto-Pilot (gladiator series), Vector Rod Holders, Vector Downriggers...Not worried about kicker on the big boats those new outboards are very economic to run, 4-6 gallon of gas in 8hrs trolling...

Not sure about the first but the Parker is not a wise choice.  Have a friend with a 25 and it works great on the Atlantic but is horrid in the Gulf of Mexico.  The problem in the Gulf is the shallow depth and the tight closely packed chop.  The helm is so far forward it will beat the snot out of you.  In rollers like on the Atlantic it is fine. 

Erie is a lot like the Gulf Of Mexico...choppy and close. 
    earlysecond
    Avid Angler
    RE: Lets build 2 perfect lake erie boats 2008/09/10 15:25:39 (permalink)
    Storm Warning-  Thanks!  That is huge for me to know and I have seen deadrise but never knew why it was there let alone that it contributed anything important to hull performance.  I have aslo, already learned that maybe the controls on the bow rail (well not quite that far forward) may not be good.  The first time in my life I experienced taking a pounding in a boat was 4 weeks ago.  When you go over a crest and then drop several feet it can hurt!  We were in a too small of a boat, for the conditions.  This boat is aluminum but with a bass boat casting deck fore and aft.  I did not feel safe sitting on the front casting platform on the way out.  SO I sat on the floor and rested my back against the upright that forms the front casting platform.  We hit a decent wave and dropped so hard that my back hit the upright and about half knocked the air out of me.   I then thought that I was getting motion sick but having my****kicked by big drops was the real culprit. . . I hit so hard that my back was knocked out!  Then on the way in my buddy insisted that I sit in a seat that he had thrown inside the boat.  That lasted until the next drop when all 275lbs of me smashed the aluminum framed seat!

So I can see that hull design and other factors could smooth the ride.  The chop is no fun as it makes it tough to plane.  The bigger rollers seem to make  "holes" for lack of a better term.  These holes easily were bigger than the 16' boat we were in.  While I did not feel totally unsafe.  I saw bigger boats struggling much less.  Some where up on plane through the lighter chop.  It is starting to make sense

I will check out the sabre.  I like all welded as the last boat I bought is of that deisgn.  It makes sense the repeated pounding that could be dished out by the Great Lakes could whoop the snot out of a rivited boat (at least over time)

Thanks for the help and insight,
    Brent
    Big Fathead
    Expert Angler
    RE: Lets build 2 perfect lake erie boats 2008/09/10 16:38:12 (permalink)
    If you look hard you probably could pick up a 19 foot sabre for $4000-$8500, a 22 footer (maybe with a hardtop) for $6000-$12000, and a 24 footer for $6000-$15,000 depending on the condition and the knowledge of the seller. If you keep your eye open you may stumble across one through the winter and get one heck of a deal. With the price of fuel I'm sure more boats will be for sale as time goes on. Even with an aluminum boat you still need a fairly decent truck to pull it. The 19 footer on a single axle trailer with a 110 and a kicker weighs around 3500 lbs, and the 24 without the hardtop with an inboard 4.3 Mercruiser weighs around 4700 pounds on a tandem aluminum trailer.  
    Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    RE: Lets build 2 perfect lake erie boats 2008/09/10 16:52:17 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Danjae

Not sure about the first but the Parker is not a wise choice.  Have a friend with a 25 and it works great on the Atlantic but is horrid in the Gulf of Mexico.  The problem in the Gulf is the shallow depth and the tight closely packed chop.  The helm is so far forward it will beat the snot out of you.  In rollers like on the Atlantic it is fine. 

Erie is a lot like the Gulf Of Mexico...choppy and close. 

Questions on your friends Parker 25:
    What model parker does he have.  Is it the walk around or the pilot house? 
    Reason asking: The 25 Pilot house the helm sits much further forward. 

Is it an XL OR XLD:
    Reason Asking: XLD has 22degrees of deadrise and rides much smoother than the xl in the rough stuff.

IF he has an XL, is it newer than 2005?:
    Reason Asking: All of the XL hulls made prior to 2005 had 14 degrees of deadrise.  Newer than 05 they went to 16 to cut out the pounding.  They also made the boat a 3 piece hull...

Lemme know...

Does he have and XL or XLD prior to 2005?

CB
    earlysecond
    Avid Angler
    RE: Lets build 2 perfect lake erie boats 2008/09/10 21:03:14 (permalink)
    Big Fathead- no sabres on Evilbay currently.  I have not yet tried craigslist or the other listings.  I am not yet quite sure that I want to commit to a big boat! Thanks for the additional guidance though, it is appreciated.

Brent
    Storm Warning 2
    Expert Angler
    RE: Lets build 2 perfect lake erie boats 2008/09/10 22:06:19 (permalink)
    There are some pretty darned good deals around there Early Second.  Do you have a price tag in mind?

woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8507
    RE: Lets build 2 perfect lake erie boats 2008/09/10 22:54:57 (permalink)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfSEJWd8IFA
    post edited by Mikastorm - 2008/09/10 22:58:12

Big Fathead
    Expert Angler
    RE: Lets build 2 perfect lake erie boats 2008/09/10 23:11:15 (permalink)
    You had to get my mind on a jet boat again! LOL!
    Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
    Jump to: