Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
cpswing
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 150
  • Reward points: 0
2008/09/05 22:42:23 (permalink)

inexperienced salmon guy headed north

Guys,  I've been reading the board for the past few years. Been on the mighty SR 3 times. So far I've only landed 1 pretty/tasty Coho. I guess the spot I fish is called the ballpark. I use a fly rod any info on what to try? I usually use these little rubber eggs the guy I go with uses. I'm trying to broaden my horizons and land a few more fish. I'm headed up and will be fishing on the 12th and 13th. I enjoy reading your posts and thought I would finally ask for some help from the pros.

Thanks and tight lines
cpswing

31 Replies Related Threads

Over the Hill
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2382
    RE: inexperienced salmon guy headed north 2008/09/05 23:41:28 (permalink)
    I am buy far not an expert-never claim to be. Don't fish much with a flyrod either. I use a medium-heavy 7.5' rod with soft tip, mitchell 300 reel with FULL spools., 15-17lb test most of the time for kings.  12-14lb flouro leader lately and it seems to be better IMHO. i use egg sacks fishing the runs like I would fish for stocked trout-enough weight to keep it in their zone. they are a funny fish, sometimes aggressive, most of the time not interested. had them hit a nightcrawler while fishing for steel too. it happens sometimes, but don't expect it too. at times i pick up steel fishing this way (with sacks) when the two are in the river together. i feel you have to be at the right time and the right place for them to hit. colored eggs , (blue, green, bright yellow, except for light pink) i just don't have much luck with. just me, just what works for me. other people swear buy them at times. fishing slow deep pools, set up with a bobber and a long lead to let the egg drift thru in their zone so it goes in their face. many good helpful fly guys on here... hopefully they''l help you out with the big whip. many good threads already posted as to colors etc....

fishing steel exclusively, i use a longer lighter rod and 6-8lb test flouro for the most part.

good pair of polarized sun glasses are a must for sight fishing. i prefer the yellow tint. makes things brighter....

you say your fishing next friday and sat. friday should have less people on the river than sat. more room to spread out. ball park can be just as good a place as any. stop in the local tackle shops and ask when you get baits/tackle. ask a few to get a better idea of where the best action is. best of luck and a safe trip! post a reply let us guys stuck home doing chores how you did!

OVER THE HILL

Some people are like slinky's; not really good for anything, but, they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs...
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: inexperienced salmon guy headed north 2008/09/05 23:50:10 (permalink)
    Ahhhh- the Ball Park. Find some other places mate. 

Lyrical
    cpswing
    Avid Angler
    RE: inexperienced salmon guy headed north 2008/09/06 10:58:48 (permalink)
    yeah over the hill, the little green egg was what I caught my only fish on. Salmotrutta I am only a beginner when it comes to salmon, but have landed at least 30 steelhead out on the tribs of lake erie on my 6 weight flyrod ( I have a 9 weight for salmon). My main problem is that I usually only get 1 trip per year so the fish are either their or not. I have never been to another spot up there.  Maybe I shouldn't say this, but do you think that maybe it would be worth going to the DSR???? Heck, I dont even know where that is lol...  I live in northeastern PA so all I know is that I leave at 2:30 am,get off 81 N around 5:30 and am sitting at the creek by 6 am in the dark so we get our spot. It certainly is an adventure and I have met some very nice people up there, but any other tidbits of information.

thanks
    CP
    I will report what i saw and how I did when I get back
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: inexperienced salmon guy headed north 2008/09/06 11:18:11 (permalink)
    Take pics.!

Lyrical
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: inexperienced salmon guy headed north 2008/09/06 12:35:49 (permalink)
    I'll assume you're using flyline on your fly reel.So,tie on a butt section about 6 ft of 15#-17# mono,then tie on a small barrel swivel,from the swivel tie on 3 to  4 ft of 10# P-line flouracabon for a tippet.Now tie on a dropper from your swivel in 8# mono about 3 inches with a loop on the end,that's what you put your weight on.That's the rig I use.
    Now, what's the lure of the day?Those rubber eggs work fine,I caught many fish on them,so does a lot of other things.Flies to use:glo bugs,sucker spawn,streamers,nympths,etc.But to keep things simple use the rubber eggs in chartruse green,red,pink,and blue.There are days one color is hot then it's another color another day.
    Whats more important is PRESENTATION!You said you caught Steel,well fish for Salmon as if you're fishing for Steel.Most important is to get the egg down in front of the fish drifting in a natural manner with NO DRAG on the line.Use only as much weight to sink the lure into the zone that the fish are in,usually just off the bottom.
    Also,you can't catch fish if they are'nt there.When you see nothing moving and no body around you catching any it might be better to move and fish another area.It might be still hit and miss that early on.And if you don't mind paying, the DSR is a very good decision that early in the season.
    cpswing
    Avid Angler
    RE: inexperienced salmon guy headed north 2008/09/06 12:52:35 (permalink)
    I do run fly line then I was running a straight 14 flouro leader. I have a few different color eggs for this year. SO what happens with the weight hanging down. I take it that is what brakes off when you et snagged?what exactly is the rule on weight distance from the hook? does it have to be at least 3 foot away or under 3 foot?? Lastly PA, do u have any suggestions on a different spot to go to. we park behind some plant walk across part of a field and down through the woods. I think we were on the opposite side of the ballpark, but I see kids playing soccer by where we park.

Thanks for the info. and if i latch onto something I will try to get a picture.
    I think we will fish the normal ho;e on friday and maybe try out the infamous DSR on saturday. any suggestions on what time to be there by?

CP
    Charlie_1
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 110
    RE: inexperienced salmon guy headed north 2008/09/06 15:54:48 (permalink)
    From hook to weight the max 4'
    Charlie_1
    Avid Angler
    RE: inexperienced salmon guy headed north 2008/09/06 16:01:42 (permalink)
    I use 20lb shooting line break down to 12lb f carbon about 10' and then 4-5' 6lb had lots of luck with that set up last year. We are going up this year on the 20th of Oct for the week I'm getting the itch bad
    Over the Hill
    Pro Angler
    RE: inexperienced salmon guy headed north 2008/09/06 16:04:35 (permalink)
    CP, morning and evening for me is the best time fishing. take a few hours friday driving to different locations to fish in the future. make it an adventure. As you get off rt. 81 in pulaski, there's fat nancy's , whiticker's, tony's--- all tackle shops right in the immeidate intersection. go in and ask around as to what is going on with the fishing. do a search on their wbsites for maps of the river. the net has a load of info on it.

Honestly, if you really want to learn as much as you can in a limited time, check out the river guide services. lots of guys with years and years of experience.

as far as dsr, it's your choice to pay and fish there. there is plenty of open public fishing areas. best of luck.

OVER THE HILL

Some people are like slinky's; not really good for anything, but, they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs...
    metalslayer
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 689
    RE: inexperienced salmon guy headed north 2008/09/06 18:52:33 (permalink)
    I guess u really OTH--Tony's has been a rest/bar for years.

Steel on a pin---so easy a caveman can do it.
    SPIKER
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 165
    RE: inexperienced salmon guy headed north 2008/09/06 19:07:49 (permalink)
    Use 6LB diameter (around 20LB test) braid with at least a 15 LB mono leader.The thin braid will get you the castability and the mono leader will make sure it doesn't wrap around your lure/hook during the cast.Witch happens alot with the flexibility of braid in my experience during salmon season!

These light liners saying 10LB leader will land you a 25LB King are not your best suggestions on landing them IMO.....Go heavy or go home empty handed!!!!
    cpswing
    Avid Angler
    RE: inexperienced salmon guy headed north 2008/09/06 20:35:53 (permalink)
    hey PA do u use a 3 way swivel or a 2 way to set the dropper off of? As far as line weight from what u guys have said I think I am going to go with a 20 pound from flyline to leader then start with 14lb flouro leader and adjust from their. I have 12 and 10 in case they need anything lighter. I know one thing for sure I will never use that Cajun Red junk again. I stood side by side with my buddy and couldnt get a bite and he kept hooking up. then around 1:00 the water began to clear and i saw a fish spook from my line. Oh well live and learn. Just wanted to let u guys know so u dont waste the best part of the day on junk line. Hey Salmo what is a comet?

thanks for the good advice

CP
    leadmen
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1001
    RE: inexperienced salmon guy headed north 2008/09/06 21:24:03 (permalink)
    i seen the cajin line and my friend sat in the same boat and he caught 0 fish he snagged up and i gave him a newline to put on i had 3 fish he had 0
    changed line and it was on we got 6 fish after that and 3 of them were 10lb nothing under 6lb that day im useing powerbraid and still get more hook ups i also use a trilene 8lb clear not flor color it glows like a flashlight fish spook from it ive also tried pline florocarbon and had good luck with that and use a slip bobber at 14" from hook spawn or roe i use 2hooks sometimes and have had 2fish on at once not a real good idea kinda like grabbing a bumper of a speeding bus
    cpswing
    Avid Angler
    RE: inexperienced salmon guy headed north 2008/09/06 21:31:44 (permalink)
    I bet u had your hands full leadmen. The flouro I bought was VANISH. I have had good luck with it when fishing for steel. I figure if I can catch them in clear water with it then I should be able to get those pesky salmon. Have you ever tried the vanish or have any opinions about it. Being a beginner I am always open to suggestions tips pointers or other fishermens previous encounters. I was watching Larry Csonka catching silvers on tv today. God was I excited. I think it scared my wife. lol.

CP
    leadmen
    Pro Angler
    RE: inexperienced salmon guy headed north 2008/09/06 21:39:19 (permalink)
    i tried the vanish its stiff ive use the new one transition its in the gold pack its not bad i still like the segar and the pline works good also ill tie on a eggsac not and a 1oz sinker no 3way my brother in law likes that one i can tie it up for two roes on the same line or sac i also tie my on sac and die my eggs ,cost of eggs are $10 bucks a pound
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    RE: inexperienced salmon guy headed north 2008/09/06 22:59:51 (permalink)
    cp,I was away from the puter.First off Vanish is garbage,get some P line flora in 10#,6# might get you more hits but unless you really know what your doing it's difficult to get them in on that light a line.I use a small black barrell swivel.Just tie the dropper onto one of the holes,it does n't matter which one and yes the idea is to lose onlly the weight and dropper and not the whole rig.The 20# mainleader will work but I like mono for that and not flora.One thing,as you found out these fish will be line shy so that's the reason for flora,also flora sinks better than mono that's another reason to use it.But the most important thing is do not use a lot of weight,only enough to get it down near the bottom,and a drag free natural drift is vital.
    If you go to the DSR get there before it opens and get in line.The best thing about the DSR is that the fish don't get any fresher than there and have n't been harrassed as much so they are easier to entice them to hit.Also,the river keepers do keep the snaggers/rippers in check somewhat and it can be a better experience.
    The weight reg reads that your weight can be NO MORE than 4 ft from your hook,not complicated that's it!
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: inexperienced salmon guy headed north 2008/09/07 00:04:43 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Charlie_1
    We are going up this year on the 20th of Oct for the week I'm getting the itch bad

I'm heading up that Mon. & coming home Thurs.. Maybe I'll see you up there.

CP- Looks like you got some good info..
    I'm not sure you were @ the ball field.

Go out of town towards Altmar & turn left on Rt. 2A. Park in the lot on the right after you cross the river.
    Just below the bridge is a great hole. Above the bridge a little ways is a good hole also. I caught my first Salmon there.
    Get on the fishusa main page & find the river maps. You can download & pring it. All of the popular holes are marked on it. Here's a link.
    Great info..
    http://www.fishusa.com/FishSalmonRiver/Maps.asp

PS- Being a PA boy I don't understand some of the rigging the others do. I just fish as if I'm fishing for Trout. Just different types of nymphing is all I do. I run tapered leaders that are designed to turn heavier flies over. Otherwise I fish just like I do any other time.

Hope you do well.

Trutta

Lyrical
    pap21356
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: inexperienced salmon guy headed north 2008/09/07 09:21:02 (permalink)
    me and my son were inexperienced as all hell 3 years ago and with help from alot of great people that we met up there I believe we've got it down pretty good.We started using the plastic eggs the first year and we got a few and by last year we using different flies on spinning gear and we landed in the area of 45 to 50 fish in 8 days{ got the pics to prove it }.we took some home and gave some to some people who just like us the first year weren't having much luck.we live in FL but I'm orginally from vt. so we take our vacation up north to go fishing in NY. and go whitetail hunting in VT.We will be there the last week in sept. these 9 fish were caught by 9:30 one morning and as you can see we stopped keeping any kings by the third day and kept only coho's as I think they are a better tasting fish.P.S. there was 3 of us fishing
    post edited by pap21356 - 2008/09/07 09:25:08

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met
    Charlie_1
    Avid Angler
    RE: inexperienced salmon guy headed north 2008/09/07 09:47:31 (permalink)
    I am staying at Salmon Acres right next to the lumber yard
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: inexperienced salmon guy headed north 2008/09/07 12:30:34 (permalink)
    Right on. Super 8 for me. My dad & uncle are also coming. It's a yearly get together for us. They need to have the cable & all that for watching Fox News all night. Heck- my dad isn't even a fisherman. Hahahaha.

Lyrical
    Charlie_1
    Avid Angler
    RE: inexperienced salmon guy headed north 2008/09/07 13:05:30 (permalink)
    We've been staying at this place for about 12 yrs now it ok 6 racks a head and a kitchen and yes it does have cable LOL
    cpswing
    Avid Angler
    RE: inexperienced salmon guy headed north 2008/09/07 16:40:42 (permalink)
    hey pap what r the new flies u use/have the best luck with. I cant find anything down here, but if i know what I'm looking for I am going to try to stop at the bait shop and get a few. If anyone else has any fly suggestions I am open to options. Do u use the same size sucker spawn as u would if u were fishing steel? I have some of them left.

CP
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    RE: inexperienced salmon guy headed north 2008/09/07 21:06:32 (permalink)
    cp,there are all kinds of flys to use,but usually you would want to use a larger hook than you would with Steel.For example when I fish for steel my sucker spawn and glo bug hooks are size i4 and 16,for Salmon I use 10.My streamers and wooly bugger hooks are usually 10 and 12 for Steel and 8 and 6 for Salmon.However,you could probably use the smaller hooks for steel but the wire might be too light and the hook will staighten on you.
    Some times color is very important.There are times it seems that they only want a certain color and if you have that color,in any kind of fly,you wlll get the action.That's why most guys carry flys in a variety of color.
    pap21356
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: inexperienced salmon guy headed north 2008/09/08 00:01:56 (permalink)
        THE BOTTOM LINE IS THAT ERALY IN THE RUM THEY HIT FLIES BUT DO NOT HAVE THE INTENT TO EAT AS A FOOD SOURCE...SO THEY DO NOT EAT HTERE INTERAL WONT ALOWY IT...SO HAVE FU FISHING YOU**** OFF...
    leadmen
    Pro Angler
    RE: inexperienced salmon guy headed north 2008/09/08 07:40:38 (permalink)
    the fish hit for one reason to kill other fish so they do not eat there eggs so you **** them off so i use a rattle trap that is why they call them mad salmon
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    RE: inexperienced salmon guy headed north 2008/09/08 12:47:14 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: pap21356

THE BOTTOM LINE IS THAT ERALY IN THE RUM THEY HIT FLIES BUT DO NOT HAVE THE INTENT TO EAT AS A FOOD SOURCE...SO THEY DO NOT EAT HTERE INTERAL WONT ALOWY IT...SO HAVE FU FISHING YOU**** OFF...

Pap,how much Rum did you drink last night?
    Over the Hill
    Pro Angler
    RE: inexperienced salmon guy headed north 2008/09/08 16:34:29 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: metalslayer

I guess u really OTH--Tony's has been a rest/bar for years.

OOPPss! I meant the other tackle shop by the old C&M diner................forget the name of it. I picked up a lot of stuff from there when they have the "tent" sale outside. he had the best prices on nets....

OVER THE HILL

cpswing
    Avid Angler
    RE: inexperienced salmon guy headed north 2008/09/08 20:56:21 (permalink)
    Got a friend going tomorrow. whaen I get the report I will let you know. hes going tomorrow and wednesday then he and I are heading up ealy Friday morning. When I get the info I will let you all know. I gotta learn how to tie those spawn. maybe i will look and see if i can find a tape to show me. I understand that they are not hungry like steel and hit out of aggression I just would like to get more stuff in my bag that works and less junk that doesn't.

CP
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: inexperienced salmon guy headed north 2008/09/08 23:45:17 (permalink)
    Dude- take some pics.

Lyrical
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: