New to Pittsburgh...no boat...

Author
Surface Action
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points: 0
2007/05/16 12:31:44 (permalink)

New to Pittsburgh...no boat...

Hello all. I am a recent transplant to Pittsburgh from the West Coast and excited to find such an active board. I didn't make it out fishing at all since I moved here last August and I need to get out fishing in a bad way. Now that the school year is over I have some flexibility and I intend to use it. However, I know next to nothing about the fishing in the area. I'm wondering if you can point me to some good resources (websites, books, etc) to begin learning about the opportunities around here. Catching fish isn't nearly so important to me as just getting outside and knowing there is at least a chance of tying into some good fish.

A little bit about me...I am predominantly a catch and release wade fisherman for trout and smallmouth. I do not have a boat, but love to canoe/kayak. I enjoy using a flyrod, but am equally happy chucking spinners and rapalas or drifting a nightcrawler through a deserving hole. And of course there is nothing like enjoying a tasty beverage through the whole process.

Can you guys point me to any resources to get me started learning about the fishing opportunities available to a guy like me around Pittsburgh? I don't have a boat so it will either involve fishing from shore, wading, or renting a canoe/boat. I am a pretty fit guy so I am willing to hike a bit or even bike to get away from the crowd. I am thinking of renting a boat to do the float trip on the Yough from Confluence to Ohiopyle (http://www.ohiopyletradingpost.com/fishing.htm) this weekend. Any opinions or other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

15 Replies Related Threads

Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    RE: New to Pittsburgh...no boat... 2007/05/16 12:41:57 (permalink)
    SA -

Welcome to the board, and to the 'burgh.  If you're looking for places to fish for trout, I'd start with the PA Fish & Boat Commission website - www.fish.state.pa.us - and go from there.  It lists approved trout waters by county, and if you're in downtown Pittsburgh, you're within 1/2 hour drive of some pretty good trout fishing, and within an hour of even more. 

Deer Creek, Bull Creek & Pine Creek in Allegheny County (just 3 that I'm semi-familiar with) would be good places to start, as they are well stocked and pretty easy to locate some good access points.  Scroll through this forum, and you'll find some recent info on trout fishing in Allegheny County.  If you don't mind a bit of a drive (a little over an hour) the Loyalhanna in Ligonier (Rt. 30 East) is a great trout stream, with lots of easy access and plenty of room to walk, including a Delayed Harvest/Artificial Lures only section.  You'll find some smallmouth there too in early morning and late evening. 

There are literally dozens of options for you out there, but these are just a few that I'm familiar with.  I live in southern Butler County, and have a few favorite spots around here that are within 45 minutes to an hour of downtown Pittsburgh. 

If you've got any more questions, feel free to PM me and I'll be glad to share info with you.  I remember the 4 years I spent away from "home" which is here in Southwest PA and trying to find places to fish was a tough deal. 

Dave
    northparklake2
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 143
    RE: New to Pittsburgh...no boat... 2007/05/16 13:17:31 (permalink)
    What part of the burgh?

http://www.geocities.com/mpyingling22/northparklake.html
    Surface Action
    New Angler
    RE: New to Pittsburgh...no boat... 2007/05/16 13:45:14 (permalink)
    Thanks R^2.

We live east of Pitt/CMU near Frick Park.
    northparklake2
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 143
    RE: New to Pittsburgh...no boat... 2007/05/16 13:59:50 (permalink)

http://www.geocities.com/mpyingling22/northparklake.html
    casts_by_fly
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 671
    RE: New to Pittsburgh...no boat... 2007/05/16 14:05:12 (permalink)
    If you're just jonesing to catch a few fish, the lake in the bottom of Schenley park has a few crappie, bluegill, bass, carp, and some type of shad/minnow.  It is a concrete lake that is 4' deep all around.  No monsters, but bass to 15" are there and the carp are pretty decent size.  If you are at Phipps Conservatory, there is the road bridge that goes away from CMU.  Walk halfway across the bridge and look down on a sunny day.  The carp will be sunning in the middle of the lake and you'll see them from the bridge.

Aside from that, pine creek at Harmarville (or is it deer creek there) fishes decently and I much prefer it to the other one that comes from North Park lake.

If you go to confluence area, there are a ton of streams up that way.  If you decide to go, shoot me a PM and I'll give you some more in depth.

Thanks,
    Rick
    fruntz
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 153
    RE: New to Pittsburgh...no boat... 2007/05/16 16:52:32 (permalink)
    If you're looking for a quick trip from the frick park area just go to the highland park dam off of washington blvd (Rt. 8 north) (starts at the junction of penn and 5th).  Go straight at the end of Washington when you are looking at the asphalt plant in front of you; be in the right hand lane on washington.  you can wet a line in the allegheny there and talk to people to get to some other spots on the river (which holds  a lot of bass, carp, cats, eyes, and other fish.  you can also follow rt. 8 to get to pine creek.  there was another message on the board concerning pine creek and directions were given to this man.  if you start a google map from you home, follow rt. 8 (pine creek will be to the side of the road; they stock behind the wendy's on the left and burchfield pizza on the right.)  to duncan ave. in allison park area.  follow duncan to bryant.  at bottom of hill on bryant is delayed harvest area (usually some cars parked there on isde of road).  You can also follow bryant to sample and just go up the road a few yards.  follow pine creek up from there.  another great place is to go up to slippery rock creek gorge just off 79 north.  plenty of places to fish and explore in this part of the world.  you'll love it.  get out and see it all.  get up to the clarion river and pennsylvania's own little grand canyon.  steel head in erie this coming fall.  log in to the state's webaddress and you will find tons of places to go.  some of best trout fly fishing is in the middle of the state ltort  (spelling?) and yellow springs by mechanicsburg and fishermans paradise up by state college.  if you can find trader horn store on pine creek road in north hills they have a dated version of PA trout streams for $5.  tell your friends on the west coast how great it is here and to come on back east!!
    Surface Action
    New Angler
    RE: New to Pittsburgh...no boat... 2007/05/16 17:17:00 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info fruntz. What sort of fishing should I expect fishing from shore on the Alleghenny? Do people generally toss lures or bait?

Wow, sounds like there are a lot more trout around here than I was expecting. Although, I must say I am a little more excited about some smallies rather than stocked trout. Support the wild fish and all...

Thanks again.
    Invicta
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 484
    RE: New to Pittsburgh...no boat... 2007/05/16 17:47:59 (permalink)
    Check out Raccoon Creek State Park, its not far from Pittsburgh and it's one of the nicer parks in the area. You should be able to catch a pretty wide variety of fish there.

There are tons of places to fish in the southwestern PA area, just keep checking these forums and you will learn quickly.

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/parks/region_pittsburgh.aspx
    plnoldrick
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 391
    RE: New to Pittsburgh...no boat... 2007/05/16 18:10:17 (permalink)
    you want smallies and you wade fish then give me a PM. my life revolves around wade fishing for smallmouth. not to mention my buddy lives by you in regent squarre, maybe you can roll out with us one of these days.
    fruntz
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 153
    RE: New to Pittsburgh...no boat... 2007/05/17 10:26:44 (permalink)
    People throw  bait and lures (and sometimes tires, nuts and bolts (make good cheap disposable sinkers for carp and catfishing) ) into the allegheny.  there are plenty of bass in the allegheny.  another place to consider is backchannel of ohio.  go to neville island firearms and bait and they will tell you what to use and how to get there.  if you are really interested in small mouth, tehn take a trip to harrisburg some weekend.  Susqhehanna is one of the best in the good old USA.  There should be a thread on that somewhere on this board.  Lake Erie is also one of the best small mouth fishieries in the world.  you would need to go on a charter (get a group of people together or sometimes they may have an opening for one person) or try one of the head boats (mainly for perch) operated up there. http://www.fishlakeerie.com/reports/pafish.htm
    http://www.poorrichardserie.com/HTML/partyboat.html

See if you can get to a library and look up old issues of pennsylvania fishing put out by the fish commission.  you can subscribe on their web site.  some very good info in there cncerning fishing throughout the state.  and don't forget about good old West by God Virginia, Virginia, Maryland, and upstate new york. which are all within a days drive.  best of luck
    JMZ82
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 306
    RE: New to Pittsburgh...no boat... 2007/05/17 11:15:57 (permalink)
    I would assume you are looking for a place to fish regularly.  While Erie can be a great time and you can catch alot of fish if might not be somthing you can do in the evening if you are busy during the day.  I would get use to fishing the rivers for smallmouth, I know there are alot of bass and other types of fish you should be able to pick up in there.
    jerminator7777
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 409
    RE: New to Pittsburgh...no boat... 2007/05/17 13:40:55 (permalink)
    Not too far up the Allegheny is great smallmouth fishing. Up in Freeport is where it starts to get good, but the farther up the river the better. Also, down on the Youghiogheny River (The Yough) is awsome smallie waters.
    I like to use Rattle Traps and In-Line spinners.
    aranbp
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 324
    RE: New to Pittsburgh...no boat... 2007/05/17 13:55:00 (permalink)
    Check out the yough.  PM me and I will tell you more about it.

With Guns...........We Are 'Citizens'.
    Without Them........We Are 'Subjects'.
    fish12
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 131
    RE: New to Pittsburgh...no boat... 2007/05/18 12:49:54 (permalink)
    I like the Allegheny river. It's close to the city and there's a lot of shore access.  That river is loaded with lots of big fish and many different species.  PM me sometime and we'll hook up.  We can go out in a boat.
    mr.fisherman
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 169
    RE: New to Pittsburgh...no boat... 2007/05/19 22:42:15 (permalink)
    Fishing behind the Heinz plant from shore can be very good during good conditions of flow and wind. There is a bike trail that goes for many miles with plenty of shore spots along the way.

ORIGINAL: fruntz

People throw  bait and lures (and sometimes tires, nuts and bolts (make good cheap disposable sinkers for carp and catfishing) ) into the allegheny.  there are plenty of bass in the allegheny.  another place to consider is backchannel of ohio.  go to neville island firearms and bait and they will tell you what to use and how to get there.  if you are really interested in small mouth, tehn take a trip to harrisburg some weekend.  Susqhehanna is one of the best in the good old USA.  There should be a thread on that somewhere on this board.  Lake Erie is also one of the best small mouth fishieries in the world.  you would need to go on a charter (get a group of people together or sometimes they may have an opening for one person) or try one of the head boats (mainly for perch) operated up there. http://www.fishlakeerie.com/reports/pafish.htm
    http://www.poorrichardserie.com/HTML/partyboat.html

See if you can get to a library and look up old issues of pennsylvania fishing put out by the fish commission.  you can subscribe on their web site.  some very good info in there cncerning fishing throughout the state.  and don't forget about good old West by God Virginia, Virginia, Maryland, and upstate new york. which are all within a days drive.  best of luck
    Jump to: