Is DSR expantion correct?

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
SPIKER
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 165
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Is DSR expantion correct? 2008/09/13 22:27:06 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: EagleCrg

Some comments on a few points:
1. I have only been fishing the Salmon River for 7 years, but in that "short" time have seen much access be eroded for fishermen.  Legality aside, in my mind the entire river up to the dam should be public access.  The waterfront there (and river) derive most of its value from the fact that the hatchery was built there and the stocking that the state does.  I don't know much about its legal use, but to me there isn't a much better case for eminent domain.  Problem is, if this ever was declared public via eminent domain, it seems to me that every tributary to Lake Ontario would have to be treated the same and thats not going to happen.  Still, it seems that the state could do more to secure rights of way along the river.
2. Even if the state does stop stocking there, the salmon will survive.  There is enough natural reproduction going on that there will always be runs now, barring some ecological catastrophe which is not out of the question with the growing list of invasive species.  The runs might be much smaller, but they will be there.  Stocking will continue regardless of what happens in the long run to the Salmon River as the impact of the stocking is felt across the entire Lake Ontario basin, including Canada.
3.  I believe the size of the runs and fish has much more to do with what is going on out in the lake--forage changes, invasive species, etc, than what happens in the river.  Some exceptions of course, like the low water last year.
4. Trash.  Fishermen could do much to improve their name with little effort.  Anytime I fish the river I always take a little garbage bag with me and pick up some trash to take out with me.  If even a small percentage of fishermen did this, most of the trash would be nonexistent--even with the hordes that throw it out.  There are several fishing groups that do cleanups along the river every year, but as far as I know, they never do anything to let the landowners know that they were there doing good deeds.  This would paint the fishermen in a positive light and help offset all the bad that occurs.  I wonder if any of these cleanup efforts make the local papers there.  They are usually well announced on the discussion boards.
5.  Guides.  I believe the guides on the river are a very influential group and I have a great deal of respect for most of them.  Many are very involved in river issues and with the DEC & local government and the list of their good deeds runs deep.  They also carry considerable sway with fishermen and influence their opinions alot (IMHO).  I question whether the river guides (as a group) would support lots of public access.  From what I have observed, the majority of them take their clients to the private part of the river.  I can understand why (fewer crowds and slobs) and they are catered to by the DSR at least (not saying its a bad thing).  So I don't think they would favor making the whole river public access.

I have no respect at all for the DSR,greedy****bastards.....
SPIKER
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 165
RE: Is DSR expantion correct? 2008/09/22 22:51:16 (permalink)
Yep I seen it coming,now the DSR upped there numbers to 500 fisherman per day with there new addition.Not a bad extra paycheck for picking up a little trash!!!

jonnyfishon
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2089
RE: Is DSR expantion correct? 2008/09/23 18:46:02 (permalink)
Thank god. That part of the black hole holds some great steelhead and monster browns.
F-douglaston and double F-the jerkoffs that littler.
traffic1
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Is DSR expantion correct? 2008/09/27 00:24:46 (permalink)
this is the first time I have posted.  felt compeled to put in my 2 cents.  I am a relatively new comer to the SR, having only fished it for the past six yrs.  Only get up 2-3 times a year.  Was up there this past weekend, fishing was slow but not much of a crowd.  Observed stuff that was very disturbing.  Because it was slow covered alot of water, from town all the way up to fraser's run.  Every place we stopped I noticed beer cans and bottles scattered about.  Heard the F-bomb yelled about on a regular basis.  Saw one guy stumblin around the river with pole in one hand and xl styrfoam coffee in the other.  20 minutes later he was still in the river minus the cup, where did it go?  Observed another guy with a beer stuffed into every available pocket.  Saw another guy ****ing in plain view along the bank.  Now I'm not sum prude or bible banger, I've been in law enforcement for 12 yrs, seen and heard evrything and can cuss with the best if need be.  I go to the SR to relax, enjoy and escape.  If I catch something it's a bonus.  Many times you can observe me just standin there watching others, get as much joy watching someone fight one of these great fish as I do when I hook into one.  Never paid to fish the DSR or any other area, however if what I saw this weekend is the prelude to the future I'd gladly fork over some bucks.  think of the landowner who has to put up with the garbage sprewn about on there land every day.  I could imagine trying to explain to one of my young daughters what that guy is doing with his waders and pants down aroung his knees.  Or one of them asking what does F----In... meeans.  Let me see I could put up with this everyday or I could charge or be paid to let someone to fish my property and have some control over there behavoir.  Bottom line is the true sportsman, who I believe are the ones who take the time to post on this site need to step forward and stand up.  We need to put pressure on the DEC to enforce littering laws, drunks and offensive anglers.  We need to say, Hey you left your garbage there pick it up and take it with you.  On a positive note I did see a true sportsman/angler this weekend.  He had obviously was lucky enough to hook into one of these magnificiant fish.  After a long fight he released the fish only to see it go belly up.  He didn't turn and walk away.  He followed the fish, for about 75 yards, stopping about 4 times to revive it.  Finally it swam away.  He sacrifised his time and energy so someone else would have a chance.  I only wish that i acknowledged his efforts.  Perhaps he reads these post.  If so my hat off to you.  Hope veryone else here tips there hat also.  We need more like him if we are going to enjoy this great fishery for years to come.  We need more of him to show our son's and daughter's what a true sportsman is! 
Catch-22
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: Is DSR expantion correct? 2008/09/27 10:58:09 (permalink)
the DSR upped there numbers to 500 fisherman per day

Where did you get that information?

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to: