Is DSR expantion correct?

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
SPIKER
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 165
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Is DSR expantion correct? 2008/09/02 18:34:48 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: salmotrutta

ORIGINAL: great spots

I went to down to the black hole and I saw about 20 fish coming up thru the fast water. A very intresting thing happened down there today. One of douglaston men came across the river today and I thought for sure he was going to kick me out but he didnt. He then riped the all the posted signs of the trees. I asked him what he was doing that for and said that there is some kind of problem with the property. This guy was legit because wile he was talking to me the lady at the office was talking to him on the his radio. I had him ask her if I can fish there. She asked him what side I was on and did he take the posted signs down yet. He told her i was on the cliff side not on the island and yes he said about the posted signs. She said that I could fish there because theres no posted signs there. My Question is this. Why the hell would they take the signs down if they are leasing it. Do they really lease it? I think some one should look into this who lives up there because this deal looks shady. Also take a look at the DEC public rights access map for the river because according to that they have rights to middle of the river down to the end of island. Also dont posted signs need to be signed not stamped. I hooked 12 salmon today. There spread out cover alot of water and you will see fish.

Breaking news. Very odd also. Thanks for the report.

I told ya something fishy is going on!!!!!!!
SPIKER
Avid Angler
RE: Is DSR expantion correct? 2008/09/02 18:39:21 (permalink)
Didnt take long did it.....
SPIKER
Avid Angler
RE: Is DSR expantion correct? 2008/09/02 18:41:00 (permalink)
salmotrutta
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2132
RE: Is DSR expantion correct? 2008/09/02 19:06:42 (permalink)
Hell- I thought we were talking about the town pool?
At any rate it seems the Black is open to the rakers once again. Good- I didn't want them migrating to my one spot I like to fish where there's hardly ever another soul.

Lyrical
SPIKER
Avid Angler
RE: Is DSR expantion correct? 2008/09/02 19:54:24 (permalink)

Hell- I thought we were talking about the town pool?
At any rate it seems the Black is open to the rakers once again. Good- I didn't want them migrating to my one spot I like to fish where there's hardly ever another soul.

SPIKER
Avid Angler
RE: Is DSR expantion correct? 2008/09/02 19:57:35 (permalink)
Admit it,you must be fully mentally handicapped!If you have no clue what your posting about why type letters?

salmotrutta
Pro Angler
RE: Is DSR expantion correct? 2008/09/02 20:35:51 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: SPIKER

ORIGINAL: OldSalt

There already exits additional posted private lands along the SR that you cannot fish, mainly because of access. I'm not going to mention the areas, but anyone who fishes the whole river will know them.

Sorry folks, but more than likely this is what is in the future. Look around you at other States, rivers. More and more conservation areas, catch and release, artificials only, fly-fishing only, etc.

We have only ourselves to blame if you do not like new regulations and private water. Everything that is bad about the fishing experience, ie: litter, mono snags, crowds, abuse, disturbing fish, etc. is addressed and the main reason for private, pay or exclusive water. It's not the complete answer, but a step towards that answer.

You want to fish for the queen of all fresh water game fish: Atlantic Salmon in Canada, well 90% of all the Atlantic Salmon Rivers are heavily regulated and non-residents must hire a Gilly(Guide) to fish with them, beside much of the water being private and put in a lottery.

So remember the next time your fishing the SR or any river, respect it in all aspects, even if no one is around.

Some one is always watching and you always leave a footprint.

Tight Lines,

OldSalt

Its all about the money not the Garbage,any one not retarded can see that!!!!!Wanna go fishing in back of her shop http://www.fishthesalmonriver.com/modules.php?name=News&new_topic=2 buy something,wanna fish the DSR PAY US.Wonder what they actually paid/did to get the new property at DSR?

Ummmmm- you brought up the land behind the shop.

The Black is not part of the property the shop owns.

Lyrical
hyperfish
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Is DSR expantion correct? 2008/09/02 21:52:10 (permalink)
Yes its true, I have been fishing Salmon River since it started in 1970 and watched the State of New York do nothing in allowing the DSR to take over the best part of Salmon River. Yes we the fishermen and women pay for the fish that the DSR make $$$ money off. We pay when we buy a NY licence. I don't see the DSR people contributing either time or money to the New York Salmon Hatchery... do any of you? 
hyperfish
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Is DSR expantion correct? 2008/09/02 21:57:42 (permalink)
Dogulaston was a Senator in New York for around 900 million years so that explains why they can do whatever they want with the DSR.
gotem
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Is DSR expantion correct? 2008/09/03 09:40:58 (permalink)
The DSR taking over this stretch of river between the black & little black hole is about nothing more than $$$$.  It's BS.  If you believe for a second that the land owners approached the DSR to "patrol" this section of river because of litter, than your kidding yourself.  The owners probably don't even know what the river looks like. 

I've been fishing this stretch of river exclusively for nearly 20 years(on the island).  The issues with trash, snagging, etc.. haven't changed one bit in all those years.  In fact, the crowds on this stretch of the river in the last 5 years or so have dwindled.  Yes, it still gets crowded, but it's not what it was 10+ years ago.  I have a hard time believeing that it took the owners all these years to now all of a sudden want to take some action. 

I only manage to come up and fish 1 maybe 2 times a season if I'm lucky, and now they will want me to pay $30 a day to fish the same stretch of river.  All on top of spending money for a license, gas, gear, food, lodging, etc...  Like I said it's all about the mighty dollar. 

tglennfoster
New Angler
RE: Is DSR expantion correct? 2008/09/03 16:57:04 (permalink)
Oh well dsr grabs another piece,huh. I've fished that hole since 1984, and remember when dsr didn't even exsist. We only have ourselves to blame. If we band together and fight him we could win, but we won't and he (they) know it. I gave up on the salmon a few years ago, and fish only steelhead now. I take compfort in the fact that he (they) will never get my little steely honey hole, ONE OF MY BEST BUDDIES OWNS IT!!!! I will never pay to fish the salmon river and no one else should either. How long do you think they would charge if no one came to fish. Not long I'm sure. Think about THAT next time you PAY FOR WHAT IS ALREADY YOURS!!!!!
ORIGINAL: JUNIOREK

I read on another board that DSR has expanded further upriver.
I read that it now patrols from tailout of blackhole and down river.
Basically it has both shore lines now.
From what I've heard this was something that the land owners along the shore asked DSR to patrol this additional area.
I have 3 points on this.
#1 I was unaware that these particular land owners in this stretch had control of the properties from the steet all the way to the middle of island.
#2 this could be the beginning to the end... as far as the salmon river fishery as we know it.
I've fished the Salmon for almost 30 years and have seen the good, bad and ugly.... regardless of how much people dislike the old days of snagging, the fact remains that those were the hay days of salmon fishing. There were many more fish back then and fisherman... trickle down effect is $$$$ for the economy. My point being that as is there are less and less people fishing the river and with gas prices as they,, are less $$$ will be coming in. (eg. C&M Diner closed, the diner across from Selkirk Shores closed down, and more mom and pop tackels shops have gone the way of the albatrose)
#3 As far as I know the fish that swim in Salmon river were paid for by the state..... IF.. Big IF.. the river was all pay to fish, why would the state pay to stock it anymore?

I fly fish for steel and salmon and don't by any means condone the antics of some fisherman, I don't pay to fish the river either. I keep maybe 1 -2 fish per year for neighbors that ask me for a fish or 2.
But, I do on occasion fish this section of river and have begun taking my 11 yr old with me to teach him where dad used to fish... or I should say where his dad used to be able to fish.
I know that this post may ruffle some feathers, especially to those guys that enjoy giving there hard earned to DSR.
But I am unfortunetly not wealthy and I only fish for fun, not for pay and not for food.
The day DSR started charging 20 and up to fish , was the day that it stopped being fun for me and costing more money then its worth.

This is my 2 cents and actually more of a post to get clarification if this DSR expansion is true.
twwfish
New Angler
RE: Is DSR expantion correct? 2008/09/03 18:22:44 (permalink)
I met the owner that has the land right in front of the little black hole and he talked about this last year.  when he was there with his family he was kicking everyone off so he and his family could fish the little black it was not about the litter more about some of the unethical fishing going on there.  they gave him a hard time when he told them it was private property.  in my opinion it was not about $ or litter is was about having the water to him and his family without all the snaggers down there last year. due to the fact he does live at the property the only way he could keep out the unwanted was to hav dsr patrol it when he is not there.  my only queaston is when he wants to fish it now with just him and his family how is he going to keep people out that paid money to dsr and was told it was part of dsr I know I would not be happy getting kicked from the hole if I paid dsr.
waDerboy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1910
RE: Is DSR expantion correct? 2008/09/04 08:38:10 (permalink)
The only time I can recall not being allowed to fish ALL the DSR water was when Pesident Bush the first was fishing. On those occasions I was told there was no fishing downstream for security reasons.
I doubt the landowner will have any problem fitting in with the 1-2 DSR ticket holders that might be fishing there from the north side.
salmotrutta
Pro Angler
RE: Is DSR expantion correct? 2008/09/04 11:16:22 (permalink)
So what's all this talk about? I thought we had a report that stated the Black was open for everyone again?

Lyrical
luke71
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 13
RE: Is DSR expantion correct? 2008/09/04 13:03:43 (permalink)

I called the dsr office this morning and i was told that the little black hole is still part of the dsr. She told me that land owners wre tired of guys throwing trash on there lawn and also leaving trash along the river.As a long time fisherman of the river i can't even count how many coffee and beer cans i have found along the river. It has been said that it only takes a few peoples wrong doing to spoil it for others and that time has come. Let's hope that other land owners join in with the dsr.

luke71
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 13
RE: Is DSR expantion correct? 2008/09/04 13:07:24 (permalink)
sorry i ment to say let's hope the other land owners don't join in
pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
RE: Is DSR expantion correct? 2008/09/04 21:49:43 (permalink)
Salmo,it's the LITTLE Black that is closed downstream from the Black Hole which is the large hole at the sewer plant.
So what's all this talk about? I thought we had a report that stated the Black was open for everyone again?

salmotrutta
Pro Angler
RE: Is DSR expantion correct? 2008/09/04 23:52:28 (permalink)
Thanks for clearing that up men. Having never fished there I guess I got mixed up a little.

Lyrical
SPIKER
Avid Angler
RE: Is DSR expantion correct? 2008/09/05 18:35:04 (permalink)
Have you noticed hes a potitician and he makes his wife get up to take care of fisherman at 5 am in the morning.Go make me some money ****,ill be home by 5 pm and I want a chicken dinner cooked for me as well when I get home!!!!!!
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
RE: Is DSR expantion correct? 2008/09/05 19:46:09 (permalink)
This thread sucks, it's not a debate but a bash as it always is.
Jealousy

I just want to know when all those righteous folks are going to let me hunt & fish on their property as i please, hell I bought my License and paid for those **** wildlife........... it's a shame and getting old.

Put it down and move on....... MY last word......

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
SPIKER
Avid Angler
RE: Is DSR expantion correct? 2008/09/05 20:03:18 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: hot tuna

This thread sucks, it's not a debate but a bash as it always is.
Jealousy

I just want to know when all those righteous folks are going to let me hunt & fish on their property as i please, hell I bought my License and paid for those **** wildlife........... it's a shame and getting old.

Put it down and move on....... MY last word......

Jealousy no,truth yes!
metalslayer
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 689
RE: Is DSR expantion correct? 2008/09/05 20:14:44 (permalink)
You really have no clue[sm=****.gif]

Steel on a pin---so easy a caveman can do it.
SPIKER
Avid Angler
RE: Is DSR expantion correct? 2008/09/05 20:21:56 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: metalslayer

You really have no clue[sm=****.gif]

Im going to be here since the recent riverruns ban,get used to me dickhead!
salmotrutta
Pro Angler
RE: Is DSR expantion correct? 2008/09/05 23:52:36 (permalink)
Settle down Beavis.

Lyrical
waDerboy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1910
RE: Is DSR expantion correct? 2008/09/06 09:40:46 (permalink)
Bannings at RRR? I guess I left before the real fun started.
salmotrutta
Pro Angler
RE: Is DSR expantion correct? 2008/09/06 10:17:30 (permalink)
Yes, do tell us how you were wronged.

Lyrical
MILOYB
New Angler
RE: Is DSR expantion correct? 2008/09/06 11:53:10 (permalink)
not for nothing,but i've been fishing the salmon river on and off for the last 25 years. i only make 1 trip a year(late sept.)and wish i could do more. i have been there when snagging was allowed up in altmar,never did it,too scarcy to get even close,but it did put food in the frig for some people.fished the town pool, black hole,etc. elbow to elbow with some guys(not real fisherman) who use line that looked like it came off a weed wacker.one thing in common,alot of people were slobs.trash and garbage all along the banks. very little fishing etiquette. i've heard people up there complaining about dsr and how they feel have ruined the area. i can only fish once a year,so i go to dsr. low fishing presure,fairly clean,beautiful fresh fighting fish. it's personal prefrence. if i lived up there i know i wouldn't to be able to afford to fish there all the time,but for my 1 week a year,it's good for me. however,i do spend my money in the local motels,resturants and tackle shops. i've seen the local shops and resturants close( the golden fish,who thought that would ever close, great sunday breakfast buffet) and it's depressing. i don't know what the the answer would be, but it's human nature to blame someone or something. but thats me,just takin'
SPIKER
Avid Angler
RE: Is DSR expantion correct? 2008/09/06 14:25:44 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: waDerboy

Bannings at RRR? I guess I left before the real fun started.

Believe me you didn't miss much!
SalmonRiverKing
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 19
RE: Is DSR expantion correct? 2008/09/13 02:34:50 (permalink)
so what the frek right...so u can fish the clif side...what side is the waste plant on...still hope my spot is open...just take out what u take in..
EagleCrg
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 160
RE: Is DSR expantion correct? 2008/09/13 08:50:33 (permalink)
Some comments on a few points:
1. I have only been fishing the Salmon River for 7 years, but in that "short" time have seen much access be eroded for fishermen.  Legality aside, in my mind the entire river up to the dam should be public access.  The waterfront there (and river) derive most of its value from the fact that the hatchery was built there and the stocking that the state does.  I don't know much about its legal use, but to me there isn't a much better case for eminent domain.  Problem is, if this ever was declared public via eminent domain, it seems to me that every tributary to Lake Ontario would have to be treated the same and thats not going to happen.  Still, it seems that the state could do more to secure rights of way along the river.
2. Even if the state does stop stocking there, the salmon will survive.  There is enough natural reproduction going on that there will always be runs now, barring some ecological catastrophe which is not out of the question with the growing list of invasive species.  The runs might be much smaller, but they will be there.  Stocking will continue regardless of what happens in the long run to the Salmon River as the impact of the stocking is felt across the entire Lake Ontario basin, including Canada.
3.  I believe the size of the runs and fish has much more to do with what is going on out in the lake--forage changes, invasive species, etc, than what happens in the river.  Some exceptions of course, like the low water last year.
4. Trash.  Fishermen could do much to improve their name with little effort.  Anytime I fish the river I always take a little garbage bag with me and pick up some trash to take out with me.  If even a small percentage of fishermen did this, most of the trash would be nonexistent--even with the hordes that throw it out.  There are several fishing groups that do cleanups along the river every year, but as far as I know, they never do anything to let the landowners know that they were there doing good deeds.  This would paint the fishermen in a positive light and help offset all the bad that occurs.  I wonder if any of these cleanup efforts make the local papers there.  They are usually well announced on the discussion boards.
5.  Guides.  I believe the guides on the river are a very influential group and I have a great deal of respect for most of them.  Many are very involved in river issues and with the DEC & local government and the list of their good deeds runs deep.  They also carry considerable sway with fishermen and influence their opinions alot (IMHO).  I question whether the river guides (as a group) would support lots of public access.  From what I have observed, the majority of them take their clients to the private part of the river.  I can understand why (fewer crowds and slobs) and they are catered to by the DSR at least (not saying its a bad thing).  So I don't think they would favor making the whole river public access.
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to: