carp setup

Author
juddthejudge
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 68
  • Reward points: 0
2008/07/20 13:41:41 (permalink)

carp setup

ive never targeted carp but wading a couple times this summer ive had a few small ones swim by me say 10 pounds. so i guess it would be nice to catch some. So i need advice on a easy setup and bait to use to catch some. It will be in a smaller river setting with average clarity and depth in certain spots. These carp will have not been targeted by people specifically before but do have fisherman pressure. Alot of nightcrawler use in tha area so i guess that would be out. And im not sure how many are there im gonna say just a couple not any mass numbers. so any adive on a simple but great bait to lure the carp to my rod and a setup to catch them.

2 Replies Related Threads

jonnyfishon
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2089
    RE: carp setup 2008/07/20 15:21:19 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: juddthejudge

ive never targeted carp but wading a couple times this summer ive had a few small ones swim by me say 10 pounds. so i guess it would be nice to catch some. So i need advice on a easy setup and bait to use to catch some. It will be in a smaller river setting with average clarity and depth in certain spots. These carp will have not been targeted by people specifically before but do have fisherman pressure. Alot of nightcrawler use in tha area so i guess that would be out. And im not sure how many are there im gonna say just a couple not any mass numbers. so any adive on a simple but great bait to lure the carp to my rod and a setup to catch them.

Cream corn or regular sweet corn. Put the corn in a ziplock bag and add a few drops of vinilla abstract ,shake it up and off you go. I use what they call a hair rig . I also have plenty of luck with a number 6 hook and enough weight to keep the bait on the bottom. Chum a few handfulls of corn every 45 min. The carp will show up and start feeding. Also dont put your rod in a rod holder. Let the rod lay on the ground and keep an eye on it or youll lose it. I find that the carp tend to hook themselves and take off when doing this. In a fast moving river i us a bolt and hair rig. I dont think youll be needing that but look it up its easy and makes sense. The river I fish most is slow moving so most of the time i just lay my rod down and wait . Once they feel comfortable eating the corn they will eat your bait without spitting it out so quickly. Hold on , these fish can spool you on light line. Dont wade if you can help it. Once you spook them ,chances are they wont bite.  
    jonnyfishon
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2089
    RE: carp setup 2008/07/20 15:34:32 (permalink)
    Also i use light gear. 6lb and an ugly stick med-light rod. If you can get away with 8lb by all means. I like 6 and its more fun when landing a 20lb carp. If i was fishing tight water i would us heavier line. Im fishing a wide river mostly so light line and a lot of it does me fine. good luck.
    Jump to: