spinning vs baitcaster

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
pittsburghbassmaster
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points: 0
RE: spinning vs baitcaster 2010/02/25 22:08:23 (permalink)
it takes a good bit of skill to use a baitcaster but they are hands down the best all around reel. spinning reels seem to get tangled to easy and i cant seem to fix the tangle on them...but when it comes to baitcaster a trick i learned when they backlash is pull your line from the front and then find were the knot is and pull on it then pull the line again from the front and it should come right out
wrighter00
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 175
RE: spinning vs baitcaster 2010/03/07 17:19:46 (permalink)
It may be because I've used spinning my whole life, but that's where it's at for me. At this point I'd have to learn a bait caster. Even then I wouldn't wanna fiddle around with a reel that backlashes. The worst you deal with spinning is a loop or two, and it's pie to pull one out. You can put high test mono and braid on spinning just the same. They make some pretty big spinning reels. With bait casters I'm still not keen on the idea of running line along the pole. Especially braid, as I'm waiting to see it tear one of my poles apart sometime. haha. I'll go looking for a bait caster when I'm ready to set up a super duty salt water snub pole. My idea is to go for grouper or sturgeon. =D 
post edited by wrighter00 - 2010/03/07 23:34:21

I'd rather be fishin...
AK22
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 89
RE: spinning vs baitcaster 2010/03/07 22:06:05 (permalink)
With bait casters I'm still not keen on the idea of running line along the pole. Especially braid, as I'm waiting to see it tear one of my poles apart sometime. haha. I'll go looking for a bait caster when I'm ready to set up a super duty salt water snub pole. The idea is to go for grouper or sturgeon. =D

Honestly i have no idea what you mean "running the line along the pole"
fishing rods do not get torn apart because because they are casting and they have braid. The drag should slip long before a rod explodes. Baitcasters aren't just for sturgeon and grouper with super heavy duty equipment. They actually make ultra light baitcasters.
wrighter00
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 175
RE: spinning vs baitcaster 2010/03/07 23:57:42 (permalink)
I know that they make ultralights, but I would only want a bait caster for super duty is what I meant. Facing upwards, after enough bend in the rod your line would be running right along the rod and rubbing on it to some degree. I just used my first rod with braided line, and I'm willing to bet that if ever got wrapped around my rod and pulled tight it would snap it or at very least damage it. I've read of others having that issue. This has also made me rethink what reel to use braided line on.

I'd rather be fishin...
nybaitcaster
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 10
RE: spinning vs baitcaster 2010/03/10 21:14:48 (permalink)
I have several baitcasters and have really gotten used to using them for both light and heavier lures.  Many have more than one break system that helps throw the lighter lures.  Your thumb is also good safety when throwing with a baitcaster and it takes just a little practice to get used too especially in the wind.   I used to get alot of birdnests but have cut them way down.  You may want to grab a line pick if you are getting started.  They help undue the nests pretty good.    

I like the higher end Abu (Revo), diawa (del sol & zillion, shamano, jonny morris gold or elite, and Quantum PT.  I upgraded most of my poles and reels from spincasters over the last few years and use braided lines alot.  I agree that the type pole is also important for what lures you are throwing.    

Pat

Looking forward to froggin the slop. 
AK22
Novice Angler
RE: spinning vs baitcaster 2010/03/10 21:23:52 (permalink)
I am very impressed with my abu revo stx 7.1 i bought its great reel feels more solid then my curado and it has a monster drag
post edited by AK22 - 2010/03/10 21:24:25
nybaitcaster
New Angler
RE: spinning vs baitcaster 2010/03/10 21:35:52 (permalink)
I really like the Revo STX.  I like the SX too and it is a little cheaper. 
I also have the Revo winch, and just grabbed a premier at GM last week.   They cast a mile and are really accurate when you need to hit the perfect spot.   I do alot of frog fishing on the shoreline and need to hit the holes.  Nice reels.  
AK22
Novice Angler
RE: spinning vs baitcaster 2010/03/10 21:48:43 (permalink)
Yea i am real impressed with the whole revo line I am looking to pick up a winch for crankbait fishing. Abu certainly makes a solid product I like em just as much as my shimanos. 
nybaitcaster
New Angler
RE: spinning vs baitcaster 2010/03/11 13:27:00 (permalink)
Same here.   I caught a nice northern on Sara Lake last sping on the revo and it had planty of power to bring him in.   I think you will like the winch.  Nice and slow but powerful drag.  Have you tried the Diawa viento?   Just ordered one for 60 percent off.    

On another related issue, have you tried the new carrot stick poles.   Not bad.  Pole is nice and light.  I broke one in half which was my fault.   Hard set on a 3.5 LB LM in the thick stuff.  They replaced with new one.   

Pat  
Stcroixsteelie
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 76
RE: spinning vs baitcaster 2010/03/11 18:35:32 (permalink)
I've heard a lot of that about the carrot stix a lot of breaking problems from what I understand.
AK22
Novice Angler
RE: spinning vs baitcaster 2010/03/11 19:07:37 (permalink)
Never fished a viento but if its as good as any other daiwa baitcaster it will be a heck of a reel. Daiwa makes a nice product. I have heard real good things about the viento overall i think you will be happy with it.

I have heard a lot about  carrot sticks tending to break but i have never fished one.
post edited by AK22 - 2010/03/11 19:11:29
pikepredator2
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 953
RE: spinning vs baitcaster 2010/03/15 20:00:45 (permalink)
no matter how expensive your bait caster is or how many different braking systems/tension knobs are on it, your THUMB still plays the most important part.
philmuscle
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: spinning vs baitcaster 2010/03/22 23:50:29 (permalink)
Hi guys, I am new here but would like to share a bit on reels. I generally prefer spinning reels when I am bottom fishing at lakes or rivers at night. The line out alarm wakes me up when I get a bite.

Baitcasting reels on the other hand is simply fantastic when it comes to casting lures. I have better control over the flight of the lure and I get get better accuracy especially when I have to cast into holes. I've found away to cast light 1 inch Berkley grubs. I call it Strip Flip. It is a combination of stripping (nothing to do with the removal of clothes but the action of pulling out line preparing for the cast when fly fishing) & flipping. That gets light lures to or close to places I want.  

Well, I actually gave up on baitcasters years ago. I bought one and I hated it. Was not able to cast and the birdnesting phenomenon is one horrible thing. It was only in recent years that I fell in love with baitcasters. Well, I found out eventually that the right setting is a good place to start. As you progress, even the wrong settings can be kinda fun.

I agree with Abu making some of the best baitcast reels.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: