Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
kill3ducks1deer
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 699
  • Reward points: 0
2008/06/28 20:15:11 (permalink)

spinning vs baitcaster

i have both types of reels and i favor to the spinning reels. i have heard that baitcasters are alot better than spinning reels. which one is best for all around fishing(from bass to muskie and also cats).

"Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it." Ed Zern

42 Replies Related Threads

saltflyfisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 565
    RE: spinning vs baitcaster 2008/06/29 07:11:49 (permalink)
    I use both styles for salt fishing and it comes down to personal preference. What are you comfortable using. You will find that the bait casting rods are of heavier class ratings then those of spin. You have to get into the salt rated spin rods to get their rating similar to casting rods, and then the rods become very large in size. If I was to say which rod would out lift the other, it would be the casting rod over and over again. Casting rods will cast further than spinning w/ practice and time spent using them. For myself the spin reel is quicker to grab and cast, and for myself more accurate.
    ORIGINAL: kill3ducks1deer

i have both types of reels and i favor to the spinning reels. i have heard that baitcasters are alot better than spinning reels. which one is best for all around fishing(from bass to muskie and also cats).
    avidangler
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 835
    RE: spinning vs baitcaster 2008/06/30 22:52:21 (permalink)
    Well if I only had one choice for bass cats and musky it would hands down be the baitcaster.  It has more power and more capable of handling bigger fish.  I love my spinning gear but when it comes to throwing lures over 3/8 ounce for anything i prefer casting gear.

Born to fish, Forced to work...

"Balls deep, or why even bother"
    STEELYS MANFISH
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 682
    RE: spinning vs baitcaster 2008/07/02 14:38:57 (permalink)
    Sort of off topic but can I use braid on a baitcaster.
    saltflyfisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 565
    RE: spinning vs baitcaster 2008/07/02 14:48:16 (permalink)
    Thats no problem. Before you load up the reel w/ it spool on some mono as a base. Then when you spool on the braid, spool it tight. If you don't the line will bury itself w/in the coils remaining on the spool.
    ORIGINAL: STEELYS MANFISH

Sort of off topic but can I use braid on a baitcaster.
    STEELYS MANFISH
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 682
    RE: spinning vs baitcaster 2008/07/02 14:54:30 (permalink)
    Thanks for the reply, greatly appreciated. After I get a base of mono should I knot the mono and braid together before spooling the braid?
    anzomcik
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 720
    RE: spinning vs baitcaster 2008/07/03 09:09:07 (permalink)
    YES tie them together. you can find online the knot to use i know how to tie it but do not know the name. Like everyone eslse is saying its all in the matter of what you like. just as long as your out haveing a good time
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: spinning vs baitcaster 2008/07/03 10:02:03 (permalink)
    The box of braided line usually shows knots to use with that line.
    The Tuna
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 390
    RE: spinning vs baitcaster 2010/01/11 14:18:25 (permalink)
    In the icy conditions that exist now on the Erie Tribs if I found an open area to cast in would the braided line cause me problems with the ice?    Should I stay away from braid under those conditions in favor of monofilament?
    Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    RE: spinning vs baitcaster 2010/01/12 07:28:09 (permalink)
    I have no problem whippin big lures with my spincast. I also have less often tangled with it. For me....spincast is where it's at. It's all a matter of preference though.

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    RIZ
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: spinning vs baitcaster 2010/01/12 09:57:06 (permalink)
    tuna

as a rule braided line will freeze up on you.  there are some braids specifically designed for cold weather, such as ice braid by suffix.  but regular spider braid or any un-coated braid will freeze.
    stinger7018
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 23
    RE: spinning vs baitcaster 2010/01/27 19:22:37 (permalink)
    Fresh water fishing rules for 10 lb fish or less.

Spinning reels are incompatable with mono past 10lb test and braided past 50 lb test!

Birds nests are due only to no practitise with the bait caster and any weight of line which should never be less than 20lb!  

Use a very small swivel to marry braided to mono backing with palomer knots on both lines. The mono backing is needed to keep the braided line from slipping on the reel spool in cold weather.

Use a 5 lb heaver mono as backing. 
    post edited by stinger7018 - 2010/01/27 19:41:48
    clearwater
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 345
    RE: spinning vs baitcaster 2010/01/27 20:29:06 (permalink)
    are you looking to buy one to  cover all?     cuz if so id say go with the spinning.   if ur looking for one for musky id go with a baitcaster. for bass its kinda gonna be up to what ur fishing. and for cats id say spinning.. that is what i use 4 each there is no right or wrong just gotta  use what works best 4 you.
    hiclassHilbilly
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1052
    RE: spinning vs baitcaster 2010/01/27 21:29:01 (permalink)
    I bought an expensive baitcaster last year and was not happy with it. I fish light lures for smallmouth bass on a river and the lures are just too light to work with the baitcaster. YOu gotta be throwning HEAVY lures for them to be a dream. If the lure is too light, you cannot get any range or accuracy and you have to drop the spool resistance to nothing, which causes massive birdnests when the spool over-runs.

For catfishing, I love it b/c I am using heavy sinkers and I can crank the spool resistance up to where it is meant to work.

"A Homewood man led police on an hourlong car chase that ended with a crash injuring three officers.

"The car was driving itself," Wright said. "The car has a GPS. It's a Lincoln Navigator. They drive themselves. I wasn't running nowhere."
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: spinning vs baitcaster 2010/01/27 21:47:20 (permalink)
    HCH, you selling the caster?

Also, just how light were you casting? I regularly fling size 5-6 rapalas with mine. Just gotta practice to the point that you're comfortable with lighter braking (they're "meant to" work with a wide range of braking).

For my part, when I'm bassing, I take 2 rods in the canoe. A spinning setup for soft plastics and a casting setup for spinnerbaits and cranks. For me, casting rods & reels are the way to go for spinners & cranks in the canoe because there's plenty of room to cast, and lots of casting to be done to cover all the available water.
    Mountian Man
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4118
    RE: spinning vs baitcaster 2010/01/27 21:51:13 (permalink)
    Spinning reels are incompatable with mono past 10lb test and braided past 50 lb test!

BS, I got spinning reels that handle 15-30lb mono with ease.

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: spinning vs baitcaster 2010/01/27 23:10:36 (permalink)
    In a fight tied together my Penn 7500SS will strip out the line from most baitcasters and works well with 30lb mono or 40lb powerpro
    I even have a larger Penn spinning reel (9500SS I think) that has not been used yet

AK22
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 89
    RE: spinning vs baitcaster 2010/01/28 15:08:40 (permalink)
    /
    post edited by AK22 - 2010/01/28 15:11:28
    AK22
    Novice Angler
    RE: spinning vs baitcaster 2010/01/28 15:09:26 (permalink)

I bought an expensive baitcaster last year and was not happy with it. I fish light lures for smallmouth bass on a river and the lures are just too light to work with the baitcaster. YOu gotta be throwning HEAVY lures for them to be a dream. If the lure is too light, you cannot get any range or accuracy and you have to drop the spool resistance to nothing, which causes massive birdnests when the spool over-runs.

That is not true you dont have to be throwing heavy lures for a baitcaster to properly work. For weightless plastic spinning reels are better but baitcasters can handle light weight it all depends on what reel you have and your skill with it. To cast well it takes an educated thumb. When looking for a reel that can throw light you wanna find a reel with a light spool. I have a Revo STX that easily casts 1/4 oz. 1/8 is harder and takes some skill. I also have a shimano citica e that does well well with light lures. It all depends on the reel and line and rod used.

If you want a reel that can cast weightless plastic look at a TD Daiwa Sol its a little pricey another reel that cast light lures well is the Curado E.

Can i ask what brand or model your expensive baitcaster is?

post edited by AK22 - 2010/01/28 15:10:11
    rippinlip
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2146
    RE: spinning vs baitcaster 2010/01/28 15:22:12 (permalink)
    I have an ambassadeur about 7 or so years old that has the "infiniti" spool system on it. I have it on a light action [slow] 7 1/2 foot rod that throws light stuff good. You gotta have the right action rod to throw light stuff so it loads up easy.

You should have been here yesterday.............. Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by [Sir Izaak Walton]
    hiclassHilbilly
    Pro Angler
    RE: spinning vs baitcaster 2010/01/28 16:48:54 (permalink)
    I have a Quantum Accurist AC500PT. The reel has a flippin' switch on it and it was supposed to be really good with light tackle. It has a drilled spool and it had the free-est flowing spool of any of the one's that Dicks had on the shelf to play with.

I am throwing mostly tube jigs with a small slip sinker and homeade minnow spinners that have a lightly weighted hook.

I would adjust the thing and could do well with heavy lures, but I couldnt get any range with the light lures b/c of the magnetic drag on the spool. I either had to have it tight enough that my lures fell short or I would back off the magdrag and birdnests would happen on my spool. I spent a whole summer working with that thing (100s of hours) and it just doesn't compare to the spinning reels for distance and light lure accuracy.

I think that the biggest issue on those is that your lure has to generate enough kinetic energy to get the entire spool of line spinning. TO do that, the lighter lures require a fast cast and the accuracy goes to crap. Spinning reels require enough kinetic energy to unwrap the line from the spool, not enough to turn the whole spool. For that reason, physics says that a baitcaster will never outcast a spinning reel when the same rod and casting force is used.

"A Homewood man led police on an hourlong car chase that ended with a crash injuring three officers.

"The car was driving itself," Wright said. "The car has a GPS. It's a Lincoln Navigator. They drive themselves. I wasn't running nowhere."
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: spinning vs baitcaster 2010/01/28 17:26:16 (permalink)
    I would adjust the thing and could do well with heavy lures, but I couldnt get any range with the light lures b/c of the magnetic drag on the spool. I either had to have it tight enough that my lures fell short or I would back off the magdrag and birdnests would happen on my spool. I spent a whole summer working with that thing (100s of hours) and it just doesn't compare to the spinning reels for distance and light lure accuracy.

The problem lies in the amount of skill applied to the situation.

Again, if you're selling that reel, let me know.
    hiclassHilbilly
    Pro Angler
    RE: spinning vs baitcaster 2010/01/28 17:54:52 (permalink)
    $95 and it is yours...delivered. haha

AK22
    Novice Angler
    RE: spinning vs baitcaster 2010/01/28 18:52:01 (permalink)
    Quantums are decent reels for the money. i prefer shimanos,daiwas and abu's but thats just personal preference. A respected tackle review site where they professionally test reels gave the accurist a favorable review. casting lighter lures requires the proper line and rod also. You don't want to use heavy line and you want to have the proper action rod.

Magnetic brakes can be finicky to use sometimes getting the proper setting dialed in can take a little experimenting compared to centrifugal braking systems. Spinning reels can cast weightless lures farther than a caster but 3/8 oz and up a baitcaster can cast father than a spinning reel in the hands of an experienced caster.

post edited by AK22 - 2010/01/28 18:56:58
    Stcroixsteelie
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 76
    RE: spinning vs baitcaster 2010/01/30 11:13:29 (permalink)
    A good general rule of thumb is spinning reels are better for handling light line and casting reels are better for heavier line.  I use no heavier than 10 or l2lb mono or 30lb braid on spinning reels and that is my starting point on baitcasters.  It is just more manageable that way but obviously if you are using a larger spool on a spinning reel you can get away with heavier line. Remember the lighter the line you're using the easier it's going to be to cast farther.

Casting reels are going to give you better accuracy because you have more control like thumbing the spool or using breaks to slow the bait down and get it to drop where you want it.  If you're making short pitches to close targets the casting reels are the way to go.  If you are trying to fish up under docks or overhanging trees it's easier to learn to skip baits with a spinning rod and reel but not impossible with baitcasting just takes a lot of practice.

As far as tuning your casting reel goes a lot of reels now have the tension knobs for the spool and a magnetic break dial as well.  The best way to start out is turn all of you're breaks off then adjust the tension knob so the bait falls easily but not too fast to the ground and when it hits gives you only two or three loose coils on the spool.  From here use your breaks to control your bait depending not only on the weight of the lure but how far you are casting it and the amount of "over hang" (how far the lure is hanging from the tip of the rod) you have on your rod.  Make sure you play around with the overhang of the bait a lot of it can be personal preference but it really can improve casting accuracy and distance.  This is how it becomes easier to cast lighter lures with a casting rod just increase the distance the lure is hanging from the rod and it will give you more initial momentum.  I personally use quantum exclusively I have 20 of them and they have been great to me that being said there are a ton of great reels out the and for mostly everything you get what you pay for.
    Wally Cat
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1073
    RE: spinning vs baitcaster 2010/02/02 09:37:08 (permalink)
    I have a bait caster I purchased about 10 years ago, used it a couple of times and set it aside because I didn't get the results I wanted. About three years ago I decided to pull it out and practice in the back and making adjustments for different weight lures. Today I have three of them and along with a couple of spinning rods they are always with me on my boat. They have different applications as does the spinning rod/reel combos. It took several weeks of trial and error to convince me I had a winning product.

Enjoy Life, Be Happy, Go Fish - Often!

"God has blessed America - may He continue to do so, even though we are not worthy of it".
    Author..... Wally Cat
    MeTaLaNgLeR
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 275
    RE: spinning vs baitcaster 2010/02/03 13:27:56 (permalink)
    I just picked up a PLueger Purist over the weekend. Went out Sunday, froze, 3 birdsnest, 1 required me to cut my line, sliced my finger, blood everywhere, went home, with feet frozen I limped in the house, nobody home,dark, tripped over my kids toy, smashed down on the living room floor. Man I love fishing. I think I will get the hang of the baitcaster.
    jonnyfishon
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2089
    RE: spinning vs baitcaster 2010/02/04 12:48:18 (permalink)
    I tried many years ago and Im just not good at it. Spin is all I need for bass. I also love using the flyrod for bass with topwater fly poppers.My old man has a pond at his cape cod house and I never needed more than a spinning setup. My buddy loves the baitcaster and he is good at it. I have to many things to play with(center pin, spinning, fly)
    fishon
    Subby
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 179
    RE: spinning vs baitcaster 2010/02/14 15:18:11 (permalink)
    Try to make sure you're loading the rod deep enough when you're starting out with a baitcaster(i.e., use a heavy enough lure/sinker).  You might also have to alter your casting stroke until you get the hang of it.  Try using a longer casting stroke(or a slower rod), instead of a short wrist pop.  Also, I have pretty big hands, some "bass" baitcasters don't leave much room for thumbing if you have meaty paws.  Abu 5500/6000/6500s are good solid reels and are what I use for night catfishing.  Make sure you wind your line on tight as well.  I also tend to like the hand-and-a-half size grips on casting rods, you can use both hands in sort of a push/pull motion; this way your master hand can focus on thumbing the spool.  I never did really get comfortable with the short stubby pistol grip type rods.

Sub   
    pikepredator2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 953
    RE: spinning vs baitcaster 2010/02/25 07:11:25 (permalink)
    people have to remember that with a baitcaster, you have to adjust your braking systems when you switch lures of different weights. Otherwise that spool will backlash on you when your lure hits the water.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: