Kittannig,,what gives?

Author
CATMAN610
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 443
  • Reward points: 0
2008/06/17 21:34:29 (permalink)

Kittannig,,what gives?

I've been fishing here on and off for years and only really did good on cats one year,,by good I mean pounded them one after the other not 4 or 5. The water was high and chocolate milk at the time too. I've fished there several times since then with the same conditions and normal conditions and I can't seem to figure that place out. Anyone else fish that place,,I usually go upstream from the bridge opposite the city. Any help?

10 Replies Related Threads

avidangler
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 835
    RE: Kittannig,,what gives? 2008/06/17 22:37:19 (permalink)
    I fish the river 3 plus times a week between logansport and kittaning.  Mainly bass and walleye and musky.  What kind of cats you fishing? Flats or channels?   The fishing is up and down in this pool over the past 5 years, last year was awesome bass and walleye the year before was hit or miss for me. 

Born to fish, Forced to work...

"Balls deep, or why even bother"
    CATMAN610
    Expert Angler
    RE: Kittannig,,what gives? 2008/06/19 16:36:53 (permalink)
    Well channels mostly but I wouldn't mind trying the Flatheads a time or two. Am I in the wrong area?
    It seems like everytime I go there I'll get one or two right off the bat then nothing at all. The rest of the river is unfamiliar to me, this is the only area I've ever put real time in.
    avidangler
    Expert Angler
    RE: Kittannig,,what gives? 2008/06/19 18:02:11 (permalink)
      That area is ok fishing but not spectacular.  The Kittaning side up in the faster water towards the dam is generally better for bigger fish and flatheads.  You can park by the upper end of the park closer to the dam and walk up to the dam.  There used to be an access point along a fence up towards the dam that took you rite down into the area, i dont know if it is still open or not.  One other good access point to the river is down around Rosston at the iron bridge.  Alot of fishing gets done down there for cats and carp.  Other than these 2 spots not alot of access along the river. Most of the pool is better accessed by boat.

CATMAN610
    Expert Angler
    RE: Kittannig,,what gives? 2008/06/19 18:19:03 (permalink)
    I made the mistake of taking my boat out there last summer on a sunday to that Rosston launch, it was a zoo of people and not too many of them fishing really. So your saying to be on the park side of the river basicly upstream from the island up against the dam is worth trying? I'm surprised that there are Flatheads up there i've never heard of them being caught there, maybe they aren't very common.

thks for the info
    avidangler
    Expert Angler
    RE: Kittannig,,what gives? 2008/06/19 19:41:11 (permalink)
    They are up there.  Its a bowl above that island and drops into 30 feet of water.  Alot of big fish in there, nighttime is better for flats.  Rosston can be crazy in the summer, there is also a launch at kittaning across from sheetz, it might be a better shot for you.  My boats docked in crooked cr. so I never had to deal with the launching problem but don't doubt it could be a real real problem.

CATMAN610
    Expert Angler
    RE: Kittannig,,what gives? 2008/06/19 20:17:17 (permalink)
    Maybe the next time I get there I'll try that spot by the dam, probably from shore to start. If It seems ok I'll try the boat deal then.

Thks again for the info.
    avidangler
    Expert Angler
    RE: Kittannig,,what gives? 2008/06/19 20:45:36 (permalink)
    Bass fishing is generally pretty good if you can throw up into the white water, caught the biggest walleye i've ever landed reeling in an 8 inch bass there about 8 years ago. 

Good Luck!!

Lickenchivers
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 116
    RE: Kittannig,,what gives? 2008/06/20 04:11:24 (permalink)
    If your targeting big flats you got to use big gear & bait. I've been trying for big flats, for several years now using big creek chubs & suckers with no luck except the occasional small flathead now & then. Switched to live bluegills 5"-7" this year landed two 40" flats this month a 26.4# & a 33.14# within a week of each other and had three break me off using 50# spiderwire stelth. Best thing of all is patience, might only get 2-3 hits a night. Hope this helps.

"Wait till the taxidermy man sees what I brung him"
    CATMAN610
    Expert Angler
    RE: Kittannig,,what gives? 2008/06/20 22:07:28 (permalink)
    Thanks,,,I have some beefy gear just iching to test some big river cats.
    When fishing with those gills. What sort of rig are you using?
    Have you ever fished Kittaning?
    Lickenchivers
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 116
    RE: Kittannig,,what gives? 2008/06/22 18:41:50 (permalink)
    Not lately. I figured its been gettin hammered. As far as the rig goes 7/0 circle hooks, 5 oz. bank sinkers slip rig I use a barrel swivel  with the sinker. Run the main line through one loop of the swivel, and  about a 6-8 inch peice of lighter line to the other loop then to the sinker and pinch a splitshot tho the main line approx 18-24" above the hook below the swivel. This way the fish dont feel the weight but when it does  get snaged you can break the sinker off and not lose the whole rig. With the 3-way swivel you lose the functions of the slip rig. I have my rods rigs up with a bobber  holding the line untill  a fish hits then the bobber falls of completely leaving my reels which I have the bails open in free spool, when the bobber falls off the fish can pull line out without feeling any resistance thus not spooking.

"Wait till the taxidermy man sees what I brung him"
    Jump to: