Carp on the fly

Author
D-MAC
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 314
  • Reward points: 0
2008/06/09 10:20:22 (permalink)

Carp on the fly

Has anybody tried catching the carp in Misery Bay with a fly rod, if so can you enlighten me on how it's done.

8 Replies Related Threads

casts_by_fly
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 671
    RE: Carp on the fly 2008/06/09 13:20:00 (permalink)
    pole around or trolling motor around until you spot them in the shallows feeding. Cast accurately and hold on. Similar to fishing bonefish on the flats.

dragonfly nymphs have been my best for muddy flats. I bet in the semi clearer water in erie that a slimmer damsel nymph in olive would be sweet.
    D-MAC
    Expert Angler
    RE: Carp on the fly 2008/06/10 06:50:07 (permalink)
    Would you have the recipe for that fly ? 
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8508
    RE: Carp on the fly 2008/06/10 07:36:00 (permalink)
    I.ve done well on muddler minnows. Land close to where they are and let them pick it up. Mainly a sight fishing thing. Try to land the fly in front of their line of travel. Look for the mud being chorned up from their rooting. It is a blast!

casts_by_fly
    Expert Angler
    RE: Carp on the fly 2008/06/11 07:21:35 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: D-MAC

Would you have the recipe for that fly ? 

D-Mac,

Not entirely but I can describe it pretty well.  Start with a 3Xl #6 streamer hook.  Tie in a short tail (1/2 shank length) of maribou (black in my case).  tie in a thin monofilament rib and let it hang.  Tie in a shell back of either black turkey feathers or similar.  Tie in and wrap body with EZ dub or similar up to thorax.  Pull over shell back, tie off but don't cut, rib with mono, tie off.  For the thorax and legs I used either mohair chenille or similar for the body and some long hen hackle (or really dark pheasant rump if you have it) for the legs.  Tie in a set of legs so that you have them on both sides of the body, make a few turns of mohair.  Do that for three sets of legs and bring more back material forward and tie off.  Tie in a set of burnt monofilament eyes painted black (the bigger the eyes the better), dub around them lightly with some matching black dubbing, and do one more shell back over the top of the eyes.  Whip finish.

You can add weight depending on the water you're fishing.  If you're in a foot or less you don't need it at all.  Once the mohair gets wet it will sink, especially if the hook is 2x or 3x heavy.  If you are going deeper than a foot or in moving water adjust accordingly.  I meant to tie some clouser style to keep the hook up, but never got around to it.

For the damsel, pick a thin bodied damsel nymph from your favorit pattern book and go to it.  I like them with a braided maribou tail personally.  Keep them thin and they all work well.  Same rules for the eyes- bigger and blacker the better.

thanks
    rick
    D-MAC
    Expert Angler
    RE: Carp on the fly 2008/06/11 08:15:15 (permalink)
    Rick,

Thanks alot, i was a little suprised at the size 6 i thought a smaller hook. I'm going to have to add some weight the water is about 8 foot where i see these monsters swimming, I have a sportspal canoe and it's very easy to get within casting distance. I have a friend from Atlanta who tied me up some black and olive clousers in a size 10, I'll give those a try also. I'm looking foward to giving it a try i'll post my results in the near future...

thanks again..

D-MAC
    casts_by_fly
    Expert Angler
    RE: Carp on the fly 2008/06/12 08:39:03 (permalink)
    dmac,

in that case (8' deep) you'll probably want a sinking tip line.

I fished them in 6's and 4's, about the same size as a medium tadpole and of similar profile in the water.  for a #6 fly at 2" long it would be 1/2" wide in the thorax, though the abdomen and tail were a little thinner.

thanks
    rick
    mgolf92
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 378
    RE: Carp on the fly 2008/06/12 20:35:49 (permalink)
    If I were to look for a spot to fly fish for carp in the area, would it be more beneficial to search the lake, bay, or lagoons?  I have a few likely spots that come to mind, such as sand flats, which I fish for smallies on, where I can picture cruising carp.  Fly fishing for carp is something that I would like to get into throughout the summer.  If anyone wants to talk/share locations, send me a PM.  I would apreciate it.

Mike
    rippinlip
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2146
    RE: Carp on the fly 2008/06/12 22:01:25 (permalink)
    I've caught carp accidently on a flyrod while fishin for smallmouth...mostly on black or brown wooly buggers and marabou leeches (black). Talked to a guy who fishes for em by chumming with corn then throwin a corn fly he ties.

You should have been here yesterday.............. Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by [Sir Izaak Walton]
    Jump to: