Fly rod question -- Shakespeare Wonderod

Author
ElonDO-fishing
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 53
  • Reward points: 0
2008/05/26 21:19:44 (permalink)

Fly rod question -- Shakespeare Wonderod

I recently received an old fly-rod from a great uncle who passed away & have been unsuccessful in finding out any information about it.  The rod is a Shakespeare Wonderod Presidential No. 929, 7'0".  I was trying to figure out what weight class this rod would be and about how much it is worth.  The rod is in excellent shape & has the rod tube with it.  Any information about this rod would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks for your help!
post edited by ElonDO-fishing - 2008/05/26 21:56:59

4 Replies Related Threads

indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6356
    RE: Fly rod question -- Shakespeare Wonderod 2008/05/27 00:50:38 (permalink)
    Elondo,
         The Shakespeare Wonderrods had a life span from the late 50's to mid 70's  when fenwick introduced graphite rods.  Most Shakespeares had a line weight designation on them such as GDF or EFC which thru study will decode to give you the weight of the rod and what type of line the rod was ment to carry.  Their named rods usually had "P" names, presidential, professional, perfectionist ect.
          Interestingly the "presidential" was supposedly named after Dwight Eisenhower the president who was an avid fly fisherman.  Most of these rods usually run in to 35-60 dollar range with a premium being given to the shorter rods in the lighter weights.   Many people don't like them because they were considered "a tacky white finish", as opposed to the Conolons, Browning Silaflex and some Wright & McGill rods.  There are a few that were made in a bamboo like finish which didn't sell well at all.
          A good tell - tale is whether your rod has metal ferrules or is a fiberglas to fiberglass connection.  The glass to glass rods are very light weight and can be prone to cracking on the female end of the tip section.
          These are still fine fishing rods in all lengths and yours should be right at home for brookies and general trout on small to medium streams.
          Your rod should fall just at the upper edge of the "short" catagory and should be in a lighter weight BUT Could be had in 7' the whole way up to 7 wt.
          So look for a letter code on your rod to determine wt.  And probably the rarest of these rods would be a 6.5 foot, faux bamboo, in a 4 wt dry fly action.   Check e-bay for some current prices.  (that's selling prices not some reserve price from someone who thinks they have a rare rod.)  Shakespeare made about a million of these in various weights and lengths.
          Most of this info came from my old books - - - hope it helps.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: Fly rod question -- Shakespeare Wonderod 2008/05/27 11:56:51 (permalink)
    elondo, i have a wonderod i still use now and then. i don't remember any #'s right off hand thogh. i'll check tonight. i use a dt5f on the rod and it matches up better than a 4wt i tried. i never tried a 6wt. because the 5wt works so well. ~dt

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

bowmandjk
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 151
    RE: Fly rod question -- Shakespeare Wonderod 2008/05/27 20:06:59 (permalink)
    their is a web site called [ fiberglassflyrodders ] that can tell you anything there is about glass flyrods

any day of fishing is a gift
    hendey lathe
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 954
    RE: Fly rod question -- Shakespeare Wonderod 2008/05/28 19:28:40 (permalink)
    Go to Shakespeares' own webpage. Look under the antiques section and they have 75 pages worth of info on both fly and spinning rods. I found my 7' EFL Professional Fly Rod (It was my first rod) which I bought from an old gentleman by the name of Ralph Ford in Pleasant Hills. The rod was built in 1969. Mr. Ford past away quite a few years ago. He had a neat little shop in his basement where he built rods and tied flies. I still use some of the patterns that he tied.
    Jump to: