Ethics and the BASS Tournament Trail

Author
EagleCrg
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 160
  • Reward points: 0
2008/03/27 18:40:18 (permalink)

Ethics and the BASS Tournament Trail

I'd like to start a discussion about some of the ethics we see on  television and the tournament trail (primarly bass fishing).  I have some pet peeves and will wade in here to see if others share the same opinions.

1.  In general, there's way too much competition fishing on the tube.  I don't begrudge the folks making a living from the competition but I think the promoters are trying to turn it into a NASCAR type event where the whole world tunes in and are rooting for their favorite fisherman. I like some of the contestants better than others but I could care less who wins.  Competition isn't what fishing is all about--its about relaxation. 

2.  BASS and the tournament trail wholeheartedly endorse fishing for bass on their beds.  Bad idea, I don't care what the body of water is.  There's no way that can be good for the fish and it sure can do alot of damage.  They just can't resist the temptation to put big catches in the boat for the public appeal or to have a closed season.  They're putting greed above their ethics and what is good for the fishery.   Catching fish off their redds is worse than snagging---not much different actually.

3.  The tournaments ought  to put some restrictions on # test that the anglers can use.  How someone can consider yanking a 2 to 10 pound fish out of the water on 30 or 40 pound test line sporting is beyond me.  I also don't see what fun someone gets by hauling in a fish that is so encumbered by weeds that it can't even fight.   I say limit them to 10# test.  If they lose fish in the weeds, so be it--everyone will be on a level playing field.  God forbid they might have to play a fish so it doesn't break their line.

What do you think?

5 Replies Related Threads

salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: Ethics and the BASS Tournament Trail 2008/03/27 20:21:46 (permalink)
    I don't watch any tourney fishing.
    I don't fish for warm water fish and I don't think fishing should ever be a competition (for me) so it really doesn't appeal to me.

Lyrical
    steeliestarter
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Ethics and the BASS Tournament Trail 2008/03/27 21:25:41 (permalink)
    I think it is disgraceful how they handle **** near every fish!!!They grab the lower jaw and bend it down to take some stupid pictures..Can you even imagine what the reaction would be on this forum if some dummy held steel or a beautiful brown in that position???The forum would eat him alive..Bass contest,any fishing contest is a disgrace,how sad....frank4
    jonnyfishon
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2089
    RE: Ethics and the BASS Tournament Trail 2008/03/27 22:56:39 (permalink)
    Bass have a very high survival rate upon release. I dont care for the "competition"part but it has done alot of good. Its made fishing a sport which created many,many,jobs.Created good roll models.It is a -multi-billion dollar buiness that employes many.Ill take bassmaster before enron anyday.
    EagleCrg
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 160
    RE: Ethics and the BASS Tournament Trail 2008/03/28 07:02:46 (permalink)
    Jonny:  I do agree that the tournaments have brought alot of attention and dollars to the sport which I'm sure has done an awful lot of good in some circles.  Its just too bad that the officials who run the tournaments and those who participate can't take the high road ethically.
    jonnyfishon
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2089
    RE: Ethics and the BASS Tournament Trail 2008/03/29 00:16:09 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: EagleCrg

Jonny:  I do agree that the tournaments have brought alot of attention and dollars to the sport which I'm sure has done an awful lot of good in some circles.  Its just too bad that the officials who run the tournaments and those who participate can't take the high road ethically.

Eagle i hear ya . If it was trout i would be screaming. They could take it easy.I think its better to haul them in faster instead of letting all that lactic acid build up from a long fight. Its hard for me to point a finger when we all hook fish anyway.There is no nice way to hook a fish and fight him or her against their will.Bass are hearty fish. I dont like the shows that fight fish that have little chance to survive like sailfish but that would make me a hiporcrite(I fish trout). I dont eat fish so i rarely keep anything but i love to fight them hard.JMO
    Jump to: