Virginia Rivers & Streams

Author
HardCore Fisher
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 519
  • Reward points: 0
2008/03/26 18:47:06 (permalink)

Virginia Rivers & Streams

On my way to Atlanta this week through south central Virginia, i passed some awesome looking rivers and streams, 1 that really caught my eye was i believe it was called the Jackson River, the James River an a few others i really can't remember plus numerous other great looking streams, anyone ever fish this area of Virginia or any info on that region of Virginia ? I would really like to take a trip down that way sometime an give them a try.

Ronnie

3 Replies Related Threads

doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: Virginia Rivers & Streams 2008/03/26 20:29:45 (permalink)
    hardcore, i was down in lynchburg over easter weekend. while the PA. guys were watchen the snow fly i was catching largemouth bass and crappies off a jon-boat in a lake in 65* weather. when the wind died down i couldn't resist putting the fly rod together and caught 2 small largemouth and a good size crappie off of a brown bugger.
    went to angler's lane fly shop in lynchburg. he said they are pulling some BIG smallies out of the james river in town. up on the blue ridge, an hour away, piney creek, i think, was fishing well and he also said quill gordon's should be coming off soon if the warm weather holds up.
    the out of state lisc. goes like this
    $16.00 5 day fresh water
    trout stamp was something like $32.00
    $5.00 for a national forest stamp
    wasn't worth the money for just one day of fishing.
    i may try to get down there this summer or fall for smallies though.
                                          ~dt

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

SmallieAngler
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 49
    RE: Virginia Rivers & Streams 2008/03/26 23:24:47 (permalink)
    dont know too much about southern VA, but did good on the Rappahannock River last summer when i was working in the District.  About 2 hours or so south of DC near the town of Remington in Central VA.  Pretty small river, but nice to wade and has some real nice riffles and long pools.  suprised there werent any trout really, but then again the water was pretty warm.  Nothing too big, my biggest all summer was probably about 17 or 18 inches, but lots of fish.  Venom tube jigs and flukes did the trick.
    bridgeman
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 137
    RE: Virginia Rivers & Streams 2008/03/27 19:19:47 (permalink)
    I've read that James river has huge blue cats.
    Jump to: