Bluegills

Author
hufftwnboy1967
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 80
  • Reward points: 0
2008/03/23 21:11:24 (permalink)

Bluegills

I was wondering something, about bluegills. I know that you can filet them without scaleing them. But I was wondering is it a boney fish? Or is it soft enough just to cook and eat?

8 Replies Related Threads

Indiana Lou
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 154
    RE: Bluegills 2008/03/23 22:05:39 (permalink)
    I fillet them "Canadian" style. I think that's what it's called. You don't run the fillet knife through the rib cage like a perch or walleye. You carve the meat off the ribs starting up near the dorsal leaving them intack. The flesh is similar but a little more firm than a crappie. As long as it has some size to it they're excellent. When you get done filleting there shouldn't be any bones in it at all.    Lou
    joedirt
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 209
    RE: Bluegills 2008/03/24 08:33:23 (permalink)
    Ditto.  It might be a pain when you have about 50 of them but Indian Lou hit the nail on the head in my opion. thats about the easyest way that i know how. i would say they are as meaty as a perch. you should get a nice narrow thick strip of meat when your done filleting them. you deffinetly will look at the sunfish family a little different after you taste one. MMM MMM GOOD! Good luck!

"Life is a garden, Dig It"
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9692
    RE: Bluegills 2008/03/24 09:04:27 (permalink)
    Huff-

What these guys said is the way to go.  Their bones are not soft enough to eat, like a smelt.  I think that is what you were asking.  There's not much meat lost when cutting the bones out.  Like perch, they need to be a certain size, or you are going to end up spending a lot of time for a little meat.  Not exactly sure what the break off size is.  2" will almost double the amount of meat you get from them at a certain point.  I've kept some smaller before, and ended up with slivers of meat, that just wasn't worth the time, effort, and the fish's life.  The panfish enhancement rules are good guidline, but you can definitely get some meat off of smaller fish.  Here are their general rules (change from lake to lake though) 7" sunfish/gills & 9" perch & crappies. 

PT
    coolerfull1
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 257
    RE: Bluegills 2008/03/24 18:09:59 (permalink)
    Speaking of big gills, has anybody had any luck out at quemahoning for them yet this year?  The big ones do there once a year appearance then are a mystery again until the next year after ice out.  It's a real hit or miss type thing and I haven't hit it right the past few years, or I am the only one still thinking they come in like they use to.
    Puffy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 351
    RE: Bluegills 2008/03/27 15:35:13 (permalink)
    With a SHARP filet knife:

A. Cut a vertical slice right behind the gill fin.
    B. Start your knife in here running down the fish horizontally, following the backbone to the tail.  leave this flap attached right above the tail.  Innerds will now be exposed.  Make a simple cut around the innerds and remove.
    C. Flip the slab over and repeat the first sentence on step B.  You're done.
    davef
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 982
    RE: Bluegills 2008/03/27 17:38:39 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: coolerfull1

I haven't found either them or the crappies yet.

Speaking of big gills, has anybody had any luck out at quemahoning for them yet this year?  The big ones do there once a year appearance then are a mystery again until the next year after ice out.  It's a real hit or miss type thing and I haven't hit it right the past few years, or I am the only one still thinking they come in like they use to.
    STEALYS4ME
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1443
    RE: Bluegills 2008/03/27 18:14:08 (permalink)
    I was told they are there now by 2 different people.. Was over there last friday and the pike are hitting must be on the spawn.  2 guys below me got one while i was still there 25 inchs. useing shiners.
    2dog
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 468
    RE: Bluegills 2008/03/27 20:32:51 (permalink)
    You left out a step. When filleting the gill do not cut the fillet off at the tail. Leave it attached and put the skin side down, then start at the tail, run the knife against the skin to slice the meat off. You'll end up with a boneless skinless fillet. Here is a clip to show what I mean.
    http://video.search.yahoo.com/video/play?p=filleting+fish&ei=UTF-8&fr=yfp-t-501&fr2=tab-web&tnr=21&vid=1298022632
    post edited by 2dog - 2008/03/27 20:33:28
    Jump to: