Should trout season's opening Saturday be "kids" only?

YES kids should be the only ones allowed to harvest on 1st day   32% (17)
NO it should remain the way it is now   50% (27)
NO but adults should have a larger size minimum or smaller limit   16% (9)

Total Votes: 53

Voting Ends:
Author
T.T.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1656
  • Reward points: 0
2007/04/20 12:07:22 (permalink)

Just a thought:  Since so many people claim to be "in it for the children", wouldn't it make sense to allow kids the first crack at those stockies?  Make Saturday "harvest allowed only by persons under the age of 16".  There would be tons of fish left in the streams and lakes for Dad to get his limit on Sunday.  The big bonus is that anyone taking a child fishing would be forced to focus on the teaching part.  Another bonus would be that since a majority of the little ones only go out on Saturday, they would be spared the poor examples they sometimes see when adults get carried away.(or just show their true colors)

28 Replies Related Threads

spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Should trout season's opening Saturday be "kids" only? 2007/04/20 12:12:08 (permalink)
    I don't see the point. Those who "care" to focus on mentoring their kids will, and those that don't, won't. No matter the regulations

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    LDD
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3138
    RE: Should trout season's opening Saturday be "kids" only? 2007/04/20 13:14:36 (permalink)
    That's true but on small streams especially the fish become concentrated in certain holes and it never ceases to amaze me that adults will muscle out kids to get a crack at a 10" stockie. 

How about "Kids only" from 8 am.-10am and after 10 all the adults can fish.  This would give the kids first crack at all the best spots, they'd catch fish and pretty much be done by 10.  It will give all the adults time for the hangover to wear off or they can just show up on the stream and enjoy watching some kids pull in some fish, which is a true joy in itself. 
    Great idea T.T.

Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: Should trout season's opening Saturday be "kids" only? 2007/04/20 13:36:01 (permalink)
    Maybe what we need more areas kids only for opening day. 
    post edited by Bughawk - 2007/04/20 15:26:03

pax vobiscum +
    JEB
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2248
    RE: Should trout season's opening Saturday be "kids" only? 2007/04/20 13:39:47 (permalink)
    Yes, that would be great. If only kids could fish on opening day, its usally such a zoo on openind day (depending on your location) the kids don't have a chance. I catch 98% of my fish after the "opening weekend only"
    guys are long gone. May is the best month to be out, there are plenty of fish to be caught, you just might have to move 100 yards or so from that parking area to do it. Either make opening day for kids (under 16) only or have no closed season with more year around stocking. I'm not saying stock more fish, just spread them out more though spring/fall & winter. 
    mossy oak
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 883
    RE: Should trout season's opening Saturday be "kids" only? 2007/04/20 13:43:09 (permalink)
    I have to say I really like LDD's idea.  Let the kids have first crack.  Too many guys treat a 10 inch trout like it's a 180 class buck on the first day of rifle.  I think 2 hours for the young ones to have fun is a great idea.  Or maybe a 2 or 3 hour period the night before would be great too.  Still preserve the tradition of 8am it's a zoo, but the kids have had their fun.

MO
    T.T.
    Pro Angler
    RE: Should trout season's opening Saturday be "kids" only? 2007/04/20 14:04:42 (permalink)
    I like Bughawk's idea.  If the kid's hadn't come down with colds the day before, I would have taken them to 4-mile for the "kids only" area.  More of those areas would be nice.  We (adults)certainly have lots of choices.  Seeing some of the premo access areas set aside (roped-off?) for children and disabled persons would be great, too. 

I've got little ones, and in the past, it has been difficult taking them to my favorite areas.  I take them there because I know they will catch fish, while having fewer (relative) people to compete with.  The easiest holes and runs to access are usually taken up by masses of grown-ups.  Now that they are too big to just scoop up and carry across the stream, yet too small (duud) to wade themselves, I have a hard time finding them room to make their mistakes and still have good water to fish.  I see a reason to set aside access, at least for several hours, if not the whole weekend.  This will cheese-off many people, but would be great in the long run, though not likely to happen.  IMHO

Maybe I should just take them to the Penninsula.
    post edited by T.T. - 2007/04/20 14:06:19
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: Should trout season's opening Saturday be "kids" only? 2007/04/20 15:29:28 (permalink)
    LDD's idea may work well.  Let the kids have first crack at the fish and the adults can fish later.  The only advantage of a kids only area or an area for people with disabilities is to have a section of a stream that will be set aside for them.  There is an area in Edinboro, Mallory run that is kids only.  It is pretty popular with parents and kids opening day as well as the rest of the season. 

pax vobiscum +
    Grendel
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1675
    RE: Should trout season's opening Saturday be "kids" only? 2007/04/20 15:40:42 (permalink)
    To me, the issue boils down to instant gratification with little effort.  That seems to be the common plague regarding fishing.  Although I agree with the sentiments that it would be great to have the younger people have a "chance" without being pushed aside, there are methods to achieve this end rather than changing dates/times.

Part of the whole fishing experience is scouting and enjoying the chase.  I would rather see more people taking kids to spots not so crowded and teaching them a myriad of techniques to catch fish.  I know this may not be possible in many cases, but it might hold some promise. 

Sort of akin to steelheading.  We all know that the fish are not ALL in the popular holes.  Teaching another scouting and various tactics will ultimately produce a better generation of anglers. In turn, they can pass off these new skills to their friends. 

Do we wish to teach fishing or catching?  I think both can be achieved.  I love to see kids fishing the popular spots.  However, finding a youngster scouting a stream in search of fish is a whole different level.

Just an opinion.

Doc

The strength of a person isn't measured by the muscle in their arm or how tall they stand, but rather, by the amount of knowledge and area of versatility they can cover. CM ~ 1987

Not a fan of Burgh teams. Get over it...
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: Should trout season's opening Saturday be "kids" only? 2007/04/20 17:26:29 (permalink)
    8AM til 11AM or noon, children and the disabled.

2dog
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 468
    RE: Should trout season's opening Saturday be "kids" only? 2007/04/20 19:42:35 (permalink)
    Ok, lets say I take my three kids out for the kids only first two hours of fishing, then I get to fish at 10 o'clock. We are an hour from home and can't afford to drive the kids home then come back out myself to fish. But the thing is I went to be able to fish for a while before going home. So ten minutes after I start to fish the kids are starting to get bored and getting into mischief. Do I continue to fish and let the kids run wild or pack it up and go home? Believe you would see this happen to more than just a few dads.
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3352
    RE: Should trout season's opening Saturday be "kids" only? 2007/04/20 20:07:22 (permalink)

I like snowcones. Crappy
    post edited by crappiefisher - 2007/04/20 21:55:25
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6356
    RE: Should trout season's opening Saturday be "kids" only? 2007/04/20 20:25:15 (permalink)
    T.T.,
          It's a good thought BUT: how many parents would refrain from fishing?   Personally I'd like to see more "children under 14" areas set aside.  And I'd like to see them on moving water.  Stream fishing would involve more of a learning experience.   Two years ago I almost drained a fishing vest re-rigging kids rods for them because the gear they had on was more like catfish rigs than trout rigs.  The usual culprits:  Bobbers the size of crabapples. #2 hooks, A wad of Power bait the size of the bobber and about an ounce of weight.  Like the man said they weren't catching anything.  I re-rigged the kids with #10-12 hooks, small bobbers, single eggs and 1 small shot.  They started catching fish like crazy.  I get a big thrill when I can  help a kid catch that 1st trout.
          What's even stranger is the kids were all boy scouts and they had their advisors with them.
          After about an hour one of the leaders took me aside and asked if I could help out a 34 year old kid.  He had never caught a trout.  I rigged a single egg pattern on my fly rod, told him to flip it under some laurel (not in the laurel, under, under) and watched as a 14" "bow" took the fly.  The fish was moving back upstream when I asked the guy "are you going to set the hook?"  He had never seen the strike.  But he was all smiles about a minute later when he took "his" trout down to show his son.   That was one of my best 1st days ever.  I think I caught 4 keepers all day.
          Would I do it again?  Absolutely ! ! !

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    walcat01
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 391
    RE: Should trout season's opening Saturday be "kids" only? 2007/04/20 20:44:37 (permalink)
    Seeing the way adults act and what they will do for a lousy 8-10 in. trout I would like to see it made for kids only! That is why I quit trout fishing 30 + years ago.
    Loopy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1437
    RE: Should trout season's opening Saturday be "kids" only? 2007/04/20 21:01:21 (permalink)
    I like the idea of "kids only" as well, on August 20th.

<---  The Holy Trinity
    T.T.
    Pro Angler
    RE: Should trout season's opening Saturday be "kids" only? 2007/04/20 21:21:42 (permalink)
    I actually answered   "NO it should remain the way it is now "

I do feel strongly that there should be more done for kids to have access to good, quality locations.  Not just a few ponds here and there that only require a bobber and a worm.  Those are great, but like has been mentioned, trout fishing is more than a big bowl (pond) with fish in it. 
    T.T.
    Pro Angler
    RE: Should trout season's opening Saturday be "kids" only? 2007/04/20 21:23:53 (permalink)
    Once again, Loopy, you've lost me.  Not hard to do, but what's with 3 days after my birthday?
    worm_waster
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 528
    RE: Should trout season's opening Saturday be "kids" only? 2007/04/20 21:40:27 (permalink)
    Personally, I think that the Saturday before Trout Season should be the "kid's opener".  Nearly all of the streams are stocked by then. (tribs excluded) and it could be a great way for a parent to take a child fishing, and not be so concerned about fishing themselves.

Granted, a select few will try to fish, but a select few will fish out of season anyway.

There are some excellent "kid's only" areas in Potter and Cameron Co.  There are 2 on Kettle Creek (Ole Bull and Cross Forks) and a short stretch on Grove Run in Sinnemahoning which is stocked by a sportsman's club.

If it has fins and gills, I'm there.

fearnofish
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 113
    RE: Should trout season's opening Saturday be "kids" only? 2007/04/20 22:18:30 (permalink)
    I think kids getting the first crack at the stockies is a great idea. The main goal is to get the youngsters interested and for them to want to come back and do it again. I think making it easier for the the kids to catch fish is the right thing to do. Get them interested first and really enjoying it, then they will appreciate the sport more and be more able and willing to learn how to read water and find the fish by themselves.
    post edited by fearnofish - 2007/04/20 22:20:31
    beerman
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1314
    RE: Should trout season's opening Saturday be "kids" only? 2007/04/20 22:29:04 (permalink)
    I think the question should be : Should there even be an "opening day"?  ....Why not have the streams open year round for trout, much like steelhead.

changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes....nothing remains quite the same

The Beerman ~ Greg
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: Should trout season's opening Saturday be "kids" only? 2007/04/20 22:41:29 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: fearnofish

I think kids getting the first crack at the stockies is a great idea. The main goal is to get the youngsters interested and for them to want to come back and do it again. I think making it easier for the the kids to catch fish is the right thing to do. Get them interested first and really enjoying it, then they will appreciate the sport more and be more able and willing to learn how to read water and find the fish by themselves.

This reminds me of a mother cat bringing live mice back to her kittens to play with.  She lets them play with the mice to teach them to catch mice.  If kids have a good experience catching fish and are excited, they will want to fish again.  As they get older and more experienced, there is time to teach them the finer points.  The basic thing is to get them interested and wanting to fish.

pax vobiscum +
    tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4334
    RE: Should trout season's opening Saturday be "kids" only? 2007/04/20 22:56:40 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: pghmarty

8AM til 11AM or noon, children and the disabled.

11AM til Sunset or midnight, drunk and disturbed

Sounds like a plan

I have the right to remain silent.....I just don't have the ability
    Loopy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1437
    RE: Should trout season's opening Saturday be "kids" only? 2007/04/21 00:41:14 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: T.T.

Once again, Loopy, you've lost me.  Not hard to do, but what's with 3 days after my birthday?

Just pulling a random day out of my a**.

<---  The Holy Trinity
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: Should trout season's opening Saturday be "kids" only? 2007/04/21 18:14:54 (permalink)
    Anything that gives kids more opportunity is a great thing
    Happy Guy
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 50
    RE: Should trout season's opening Saturday be "kids" only? 2007/04/22 00:32:02 (permalink)
    Indsguiz I love your post here!  That's what fishing is all about! I love the responses to this thread!  I hope this debate continues and maybe we can make something happen!  I'm in!!!!!!
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6356
    RE: Should trout season's opening Saturday be "kids" only? 2007/04/22 11:14:32 (permalink)
    Happy Guy,
          Well if you really do have a stretch of stream you could put up flyers next year saying Children Only 8Am till-10Am parents accompany and assist but no adult fishing.  Of course you will have to put forth the effort to monitor your property and it may turn into a ZOO.  But,  Big BUT here. You would actually get a good feeling for what you do.  If you have a sufficient amount of room you may even want to get in touch with a sportsmans' group  and they MAY give you some extra guppies for allowing  the kids to fish.  In Tyrone, PA the local co-operative hatchery and the local sportsmen used to get together and stock the city park pond and have a kids fishing derby.  There were some Big fish (and plenty of them) put in that pond.  Anyone know if this is still happening?

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    SmallieKiller
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2127
    RE: Should trout season's opening Saturday be "kids" only? 2007/04/23 11:41:36 (permalink)
    I can't wait to take my little one fishing.  What we won't be doing is fishing the creeks or lakes on opening day.  That to me really isn't the best enviornment to take a little one out in.  Lakes are severly overcrowded and as people of stated, some other adults have no qualms about boxing out the little guys and girls on the good holes on creeks.  That to me is simply unsportsmanlike.  I don't want my little guy picking up all these bad habits.

*edit*
    Don't take this as a slight on people who like to head out on opening day, there's plenty of good folks out there as well. Just a few bad apples in the bunch.

I'll take him after the first weekend, we'll take our own trips. 
    post edited by SmallieKiller - 2007/04/23 11:45:18
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Should trout season's opening Saturday be "kids" only? 2007/04/23 12:22:21 (permalink)
    Regulated or not, I chose to give up most of my opening day to watch this.  I can assure you that it was much more gratifying than catching those 10 inchers!! 

JEB
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2248
    RE: Should trout season's opening Saturday be "kids" only? 2007/04/23 13:38:50 (permalink)
    There is a nice kids only section on Tom's Run in Forest County, the Marienville Rod & Gun Club stocks it every Saturday until the end of May. Lots of nice brookies in there.  
    Jump to: