Wha'ts your favorite early trout steam?

Author
New York Yank
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 479
  • Reward points: 0
2008/03/07 03:33:56 (permalink)

Wha'ts your favorite early trout steam?

Are you psyched for trout season or what??
Not to give away a particular spot, but where do you like to go for April trout fishing?  How early do you go? Wait until it warms up, or right out on Opening Day?

I may throw in a cast or three on the Opener if it warms up considerably, but doubt it will.   I like to wait til around the first of May, then hit the Catskill staples, Willowemoc, Beaverkill, E Branch Delaware, maybe the Esopus.  The C&R section of the Willow would be my choice if I could only do one.  25 days baby

2 Replies Related Threads

eagleed
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 425
    RE: Wha'ts your favorite early trout steam? 2008/03/07 10:20:07 (permalink)
    Yank:

Back in the day my favorite was the Esopus with their rainbow run early in the season.  All of the sudden they had problems with the water piped from Schoharie Reservoir.  However, I did hear they solved that problem so there is less sediment being washed in the Esopus.
    Used to catch some really nice spawning rainbows on salmon eggs back in the 70s.  Of course we had to drive almost to Boiceville to find decent waters to fish, but access wasn't too bad then.  Also, it shouldn't be too long a drive for you.

Eagle Ed
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1582
    RE: Wha'ts your favorite early trout steam? 2008/03/08 13:48:43 (permalink)
    I don't think i missed one fall season in the last 30 years on the esopus. you probably might have seen me before if you have gone as many.. was down the chimney hole serveral times this fall with only small bows on eggs. But the mts. especially slide is gorgeous.. I cut through peekamoose to roudout/neversink and always starting from willowemac to beaverkill  and from junction pool in roscoe on up old 17 to east branch harvard to fishseddy and  from hancock to deposit up to the dike below canonville. Beeb doing this decades now, I  mainly flyfish  upper delaware both east and west during the hatches..this year i like to try more the mainstem for those illusive delaware walleye from lordsville on down to calicoon. I wish to do this with an all new hybrid that gets 100 mpg lol
    Jump to: