Helpful ReplyHot!fun stuff

Page: << < ..2122232425.. > >> Showing page 23 of 34
Author
r3g3
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3066
  • Reward points: 0
Re: fun stuff 2020/12/03 18:34:13 (permalink)
Your luck may have rubbed off Rich-took a big mature  8pt this afternoon.
HVENT THE LIGHTEST IDEA OF HOW TO PUT UP A PHOTO-OLD DOGS NEW TRICKS  LOL
Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
Re: fun stuff 2020/12/03 19:11:27 (permalink)
Speaking of fun stuff I have been tying alot of flies and enjoying it . I have more than I'll use, but I keep going. Probably make a box of 4 dozen fir my buddy

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
Re: fun stuff 2020/12/03 19:42:25 (permalink)
That's awesome rg !! I actually think about doing a bit more xbow out behind house before seasons closed. This Saturday we have 2 deer to process. I typically hang them 5-7 days to get rigor mortise and blood drain but given weather, I quartered and coolered them which will have same effect.

Clint, tying is fun stuff. Except when it became a standard for me. I used to tie 500 for salmon and 200 for steelhead when guiding a season. The goal was not to lose them . Not to dredge. The more time retying, the less time fishing.
I'd rather cover more water even in the same spot then getting hung up.
Steelhead season was the toughest due to all the underwater birds nests.
Honestly, I haven't tied a fly except bucktails in over 2 years.

Good luck and most of all, have fun

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/12/04 11:07:11 (permalink)
Idiots who write news stories about things they know nothing about can get funny-

Article on the news today ( one of those ADs that go on forever)--
Says how a guy found a little squirrel--
showed picture of a guy holding a chipmunk.
fichy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1896
Re: fun stuff 2020/12/05 09:10:56 (permalink)
   I remember your first tying adventures, Clint. I hosted a fly swap and you participated to no one's complaint.  That was before the big detonation and this place blew up with physical threats and insane behavior.  Several wanted to fight me on the river and said they'd drown me. All I did was  side with those I thought of as friends. I'd just laugh at it, now. Time is the best teacher.  By the way, I stayed dry. I also never contacted the mods, but got blamed for that. That's OK, I know who did, will never tell and it doesn't matter a bit. All the opposite side appear to have permanently left.   Hilarious, really.
    I tied for a fly shop, mostly dries and nymphs, 10 dozen at a time. I also had a few "secret" flies people bought from me by the dozen that worked on the Battenkill  well.  20 for private sale, 11 from the shop. I guaranteed them to not fall apart,  ride right and work. It wasn't much of a money maker,  as nimble hands of women in Sri Lanka and India do a much quicker job of it. I'm just not production oriented enough.  I have enough trout flies for years to come, steelhead flies filling about 6 boxes, just enough flies to start the salt/ striper season next Spring,  way too few smallmouth flies.  That brings me to suggesting a new fishery for you, Clint. I know the SR gets plenty of good size bronze. They are a blast on a fly rod.  I've been after them for 50 years. They readily whack crayfish and minnow patterns, fight like they're pants are on fire and jump as well as steelies. Tying for them is a little different, requiring flies that will swim and move while being retrieved with twitches and pulls rather than the dead drift thing. Think swinging flies, but add some movement.  I had a good year in the upper Hudson, landing 5 over 20"  . You could likely do better in the SR.  Jesus, I fished on the way home from  chemo sessions in April and early May sick and weak, but waded in heavy current,  anyway.  To say I appreciated the fish I caught is a vast understatement. Too bad our former board members couldn't have got me then ; I might have volunteered to go under.  Fun stuff. 
    I bike to cure neuropathy and electrolyte imbalances and because bicycling is considered great for battling cancer.  Just so happens I also love it, and always have. I have bought and built up fat tire bikes and am about to put on studded tires.  I just discovered Winona State Park just north of the SR, it has extensive trails actually groomed for fat tire bikes by a  mountain biking club, and holds one of the  largest races in the east every winter.  I won't travel right now, but  my wife will get the vaccine early, and I should be second round. This may mean fish first light and the morning while it's good, go have fun on the bikes, then maybe return to the river, especially if the sun has warmed it up a bit.  I hope it works out. Winona has designated  primitive camping sites along a forest road, they might be something for the future for us, or even now if the snow isn't belt buckle deep. We've already done some bike camping trips. Fun stuff if you like that sort of thing. I also have a sled hauling hook I've put on for an ice fishing sled. I found a park with 6 lakes that's gorgeous and not that heavily trafficked.  I guess bring on full blown winter, we're ready!
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4893
Re: fun stuff 2020/12/05 09:44:00 (permalink)
r3g3
Your luck may have rubbed off Rich-took a big mature  8pt this afternoon.
HVENT THE LIGHTEST IDEA OF HOW TO PUT UP A PHOTO-OLD DOGS NEW TRICKS  LOL

Good deal r3. Congrats !

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/12/05 18:42:31 (permalink)
Yeah charlie is still have a few from the early days and I am much better, but still not " good " by any means. I have tried a few times for pike and Sm with limited success, but once summer hits my preference is pan fish and eyes. My issues now are limited walking distances and not wanting to be off the beaten path especially alone. Hope all continues to go well with health and happiness. As I am still working I should be up top for the vaccine, which I will skeptically get.

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/12/05 18:44:00 (permalink)
So as I read your post fichy, I had to chuckle a bit and bite my lip.
To start, I've met some really good folks from here in my passing. Some I still can count on as solid folks, some I think of as fishing buds, some as good conversation folk , some that seem like minded and some as just trolls under the bridge.
Yeah, no worries..It was I who turned those trolls into the moderator police. There's no need for hatred on a fishing site.

Speaking of flies.
I've given pistol Pete, mohawk river Dan , chrome, griz and a few other lost timers some fly swap ideas that caught fish on that river.
I do miss fishing there but the biggest hang up in last 5 years has been the Facebook and other mob crowds.
I'm not interested in red light or O' dark thirty fishing in a stream to get an action spot.
Someday I'll return.
post edited by hot tuna - 2020/12/05 18:48:21

r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/12/05 19:33:10 (permalink)
True dat ---
No 0 dark 30 for me either- I get there when I get there and enjoy it no matter what.
If a good spot is full of - welll those people- I just move on to someplace else - maybe catch one maybe not- 
Its the place not the numbers of fish that has my attention.
That said a tug is nice here  and there- lol.
If the shots come out and am able to get one - perhaps Spring Steel.
Livin like a hermit is making me more nuts.
troutbum21
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1301
Re: fun stuff 2020/12/05 19:34:34 (permalink)
Before my bouts with cancer and vision loss I used to tie a lot of flies, particularly dries for trout.  I would tie up Quill Gordon's, blue quills, Hendrickson's (light & dark), Red Quills, Blue Winged Olives, Grey Fox, March Browns, Green Drake's (coffin flies), Sulphur's, Light Cahill's (dark too), Adam's, Isonychia's, midges and spinners.  Few things compare to watching a brown or rainbow rise to take your offering and disappear just as quickly after the take.  I had many a shoot out with players on the Catskill streams, the Delaware drainage, Ausable, Housatonic and on private waters, The Henryille FlyFisher's Club in PA.  It's funny how I have better memories of those fish that kicked my****compared to those I brought to hand. 
My skills aren't what they once were due to loss of depth perception and not being as sure footed wading many of the aforementioned waters but I grind away, just at a different pace. 
One thing I learned is that perfect looking fly that's fresh out of the vise fishes even better after it's torn and tattered.  Go figure.

post edited by troutbum21 - 2020/12/05 19:42:12
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/12/07 09:38:00 (permalink)
Dont upset old people- the longer we live the less life in prison is a deterrent
fichy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1896
Re: fun stuff 2020/12/07 10:44:57 (permalink)
troutbum21
Before my bouts with cancer and vision loss I used to tie a lot of flies, particularly dries for trout.  I would tie up Quill Gordon's, blue quills, Hendrickson's (light & dark), Red Quills, Blue Winged Olives, Grey Fox, March Browns, Green Drake's (coffin flies), Sulphur's, Light Cahill's (dark too), Adam's, Isonychia's, midges and spinners.  Few things compare to watching a brown or rainbow rise to take your offering and disappear just as quickly after the take.  I had many a shoot out with players on the Catskill streams, the Delaware drainage, Ausable, Housatonic and on private waters, The Henryille FlyFisher's Club in PA.  It's funny how I have better memories of those fish that kicked my****compared to those I brought to hand. 
My skills aren't what they once were due to loss of depth perception and not being as sure footed wading many of the aforementioned waters but I grind away, just at a different pace. 
One thing I learned is that perfect looking fly that's fresh out of the vise fishes even better after it's torn and tattered.  Go figure.

Poodle flies. I've had striper flies tied with yak and slinky fiber tangled and mushed beyond repair that kept getting better and better even though they looked like  what you pull out of a hair brush and throw in the can. Or dry flies that lost their hackle and were down to the thread base getting smashed like they were streamers.  Tie on thin copper wire at rear of hook, then wrap forward  three or four strands of peacock herl, bring the wire forward in five wraps, add a pinch of black dubbing, create a little head of black thread.  One of the best flies ever. Works unweighted as an emerger for **** near anything,  fished with weight it's a caddis that even steelhead eat,  takes almost no time to tie. For an added bonus, leave the herl in  a sunny window until it turns bronze. Works even better that way.  It's subtle flash and the thin profile of most real meals. Or variations of the green weenie  (Clint knows this one as being effective!) or a mop fly (some egg foam with a little hackle up front). Simple is good.
    What's not so simple is medical problems like Clint's who's way to young and this cancer BS and the f'ing Covid.  Just when I think it might be safe to go back in the water, it rears its ugly head up and my wife says absolutely not. Here's to putting this pandemic crap in the rear view mirror and all who have issues  and the endless Dr. appts. getting some relief and fun in. Better times ahead. R3 and HT have had their turn in the woods scoring some monsters , hopefully some of us can put some big fish on the bank or ice or net, whatever it takes. 
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/12/07 18:09:27 (permalink)
Well it's not fun but I put in an 8 hour day getting ready for winter. cleaning garage , organizing . Tractor is inside , plow truck is under cover and everything is cleaned up. Even made 2 water warmers for the chickens out of junk from my pile out back (every good farmer has a chunk pile) . 2 old pots that were cracked, an old lamp and a drill . Saved $100. New meds are making my feet swell , sucks, gotta start wearing compression socks. LOL

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/12/08 21:10:26 (permalink)
Clint, in response to your posting. I tried compression materials for outdoors activities as a base layer. They totally sucked for me . I went to a loose fitting poly layer that was half the cost and twice the comfort.
I know it's apples to oranges but, your quite welcome to all my compression gear for free.

Now giving the fact that everyday is groundhog day, I didn't realize that southern ny rifle is open until sundown Sunday. We still have tags that can be filled and 2 deer just didn't fill our family needs. We are heading back to the trees with my grandson on his first rifle hunt Saturday.
At 7 years old, he's spent plenty enough time in our woods over 3 years to know how things are done . Hopefully he will drag his first deer out driving the ATV..

Fishing.
Soon, very soon. I seen of someone ice fishing today in the adirondacks.
Be well and have fun
post edited by hot tuna - 2020/12/08 21:12:12

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/12/12 20:03:30 (permalink)
This is fun stuff when you take your 7 year old grandson on his first big game hunt during gun season.
He's a veteran of the woods out there but we've been cautious about weather and conditions during rifle.
Now we are officially done

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/12/13 09:33:40 (permalink)
Good job all around Rich--
Only been out twice since the big guy and have seen zip-oh well been a great season so far- got till the last day of Dec here.
Bad weather coming and with the holidays hunting will be limited but appreciated.
Spring Steel looking better and better with the 19 shots on the horizon.

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/12/13 18:07:02 (permalink)
So , a story behind the last buck my son got with grandson yesterday. I'm pretty convinced it's a hermorphidite. It's a very large 3.5 year old with a rare antler structure that was still in velvet and hollow.
The deer had all the traits of female with milking udders, one small testicle and an almost non existent reproduction organ.
The deer was huge and a good call to put to the table.
This is a comparison from an 8 also taken.

Attachment(s)

r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/12/13 18:15:22 (permalink)
Poor thing, must have been so confused.
Just chasing itself around in circles for the past couple of weeks.
post edited by r3g3 - 2020/12/13 18:18:13
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/12/13 18:52:06 (permalink)
On another note-- its Dec 13th and 59 deg today --I PLAYED GOLF
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/12/20 13:38:31 (permalink)
So yesterday me and my son processed the last deer. What started out as a tough season , ended with a great harvest. We processed well over 120 lbs venison.
Thanks so much for the help boy..
What made things go so well was having a proper setup in a comfortable environment to work in. As they say, having the right tools makes the job go much smoother.
With all our efforts on garden and farm, we won't be buying any meats in 2021.
Now I just need to put some fish in the freezer.

Spent 5 hrs today clearing snow so there is room for the next big one.
We had no choice last Thursday but to just move what we could and it was a mess with giant snow banks piled up. Well, if I didn't get them taken care of today, it would have been a disaster in the upcoming events.

So, all in all, fun stuff.
Now I'm going to start getting my ice gear together and prepare for a winter long vacation of really fun stuff..

P.S.
I love ice but hate snow !!

r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/12/20 16:09:54 (permalink)
Getting too old for some of this stuff- took a good fall on some sidewalk ice today- feel like a bumbling  idiot--again.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/12/27 20:25:40 (permalink)
I've not been much in the spirit of fun stuff for 2020. The Christmas past will be just that here and hoping for a better new year.

So a question. If your given a plastic belt to replace a 4 year old leather one that's stood the test of time daily, should you say thank you because it's the thought ?.. humm..
I try to put as much thought towards spending as possible.
Times were simpler back then..

Peace and tuna.

Hardwater soon..

r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/12/28 03:15:26 (permalink)
A gift is a gift and its the thought that counts- --appreciate it.

But keep the leather one too.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/12/28 17:12:55 (permalink)
Ok so I'm back to the JOB and over the Christmas blues.
Some fun stuff we did yesterday was rabbit hunting. There is a 4,000 acre tract by my house that I used to guide hunts on. Its perfect habitat and stocked with pheasants as well in October for youth hunting.
There was 1 truck in lot when we pulled in. The sounds of barking beagles made shoulders sigh. It wasn't long before we heard shots fired.
Us 2 walked over 10 miles through thick and thin seeing signs, hearing shots but never seen a rabbit. We didn't stand a chance against well trained dogs.
The group of 3 guys and 5 dogs ended up with 15 rabbits.
It was fun just getting out and my head back into the outdoors.

Today I did basically nothing but research a lot of weather, conditions and future outings for 2021. As with this year, things are going to be very little public interaction.
Concerts and going to a hotel or lodge is probably out.
With that research, I know for fact there is ice fishing to be had in ny right now.
My plan is to spend Friday and Saturday with a rod and reel in hand on hardwater.
Let's kick into 2021..
Peace and tuna

r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2021/01/01 09:59:26 (permalink)
Fella on another forum suggested as time goes on we enjoy every moment afield because ya never know when ya were  climbing into your last tree stand or  still hunting your last mountain.
As one who has given away all his tree stands and no longer hunts the hills and ridges I know what he meant.
Still enjoy sitting in my field blind 300 yards from the truck and have taken some that way but it aint the same.
Gotta keep going till they throw dirt on ya.
post edited by r3g3 - 2021/01/01 10:00:50
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2021/01/01 12:45:23 (permalink)
Hey I gotta do this- personally I see the humor in it but I guess it pizzed off a lot of people.

When I was in the Navy we always had an anchor pool for every stop-ya would put money in a pool and whoever guessed the closest time to the actual dropping of the anchor in port won.

Sooo somebody in the Hartford Ct PD started a dead pool for the new year.
Put up your money and whoever guessed the closest street corner to the first murder of the new year would win.

It never got off the ground before the screaming started--  cops are being disciplined and complaints of loosing credibility with 'the community ' abound.

Nobody has a sense of humor anymore.
troutbum21
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1301
Re: fun stuff 2021/01/01 14:30:26 (permalink)
r3g3
Hey I gotta do this- personally I see the humor in it but I guess it pizzed off a lot of people.

When I was in the Navy we always had an anchor pool for every stop-ya would put money in a pool and whoever guessed the closest time to the actual dropping of the anchor in port won.

Sooo somebody in the Hartford Ct PD started a dead pool for the new year.
Put up your money and whoever guessed the closest street corner to the first murder of the new year would win.

It never got off the ground before the screaming started--  cops are being disciplined and complaints of loosing credibility with 'the community ' abound.

Nobody has a sense of humor anymore.

Gallows humor went hand in hand with my career in law enforcement.  Spend enough time on the streets and more often than not you witness tragedy.  Was the "dead pool" in poor taste?  Absolutely.  Unless you have walked a mile in the shoes of a law enforcement officer you can't possibly understand how levity makes it at times bearable. 
Fisherlady2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2196
Re: fun stuff 2021/01/01 15:04:37 (permalink)
I dont see a problem with it... if the community is upset maybe they should look at what they have allowed to devolve in their area to earn them the dubious honor of having a corner on the list instead of complaining about someone making the list.
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2021/01/01 15:53:06 (permalink)
People in emergency services all have a bit of 'gallows humor' it makes the job more palatable.
Others dont get it.
Used to come home and tell the wife about comical stuff from work and she would just sit there and look at me.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2021/01/01 16:57:15 (permalink)
So far 2021 has proven to be promising.
Happy new dang year.

Attachment(s)

Page: << < ..2122232425.. > >> Showing page 23 of 34
Jump to: