Berkley Vanish

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Trout About
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1048
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Berkley Vanish 2008/02/14 11:15:58 (permalink)
I have tried Vanish twice.  Once when it was first introduced many years ago.  If it was below 40*, I couldn't hold a fish.  Once it warmed up, I didn't break one off.  Scrapped it when I got home.  In a pinch, I tried it again last summmer.   Found the abrasion resistance to be sub-par, and it flew off my reel.  No twisties, it just flowed off.  Reel wasn't overfilled, it just seemed too stiff.  Scrapped it after that trip.

There are guys in my bass club that buy bulk spools of Vanish every year, and don't have any problems?  I got schooled by a guy using Vanish last season too.  I was out of fluoro, so I just had mono.  Same boat, same bait, same technique same line weight, he out-caught me 4 to 1.

I have had good luck with Seaguar Inviz-X and P-Line Halo.  Currently, all of my clear lake spools are filled with Halo.  Landed a few 6# smallies and cats from 9#-14# on the 6# Halo last season.  No breakage problems, no memory issues, no more twisties than with mono.

Another observation I've made about filling spinning reels.  Don't use bulk spools and reel-fill spools the same way.  If you machine wind your line from a reel-fill spool, it will be like you spooled it backwards.....and if you fill from a bulk spool by laying it on the floor like a reel-fill spool, you will have the same results.  They are wound differently.
steelehead
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 60
RE: Berkley Vanish 2008/02/14 11:17:16 (permalink)
I fished 4# Vanish all Fall. Didn't have a problem. Seemed to be durable and good castability.

Do fish pee?
Bughawk
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3247
RE: Berkley Vanish 2008/02/14 11:32:10 (permalink)
A lot of what people report is their experience, both good and bad.  I used to use Vanish.  I caught fish, lost fish, but that was all I used.  I tried a variety of other leader materials, Frog's Hair, Seaguer, Grand Max, McCoy, etc...  I have caught fish, lost fish...  All of these will work and some seem to be a bit stronger.  All will break and knots will come undone if not tied properly. 

For me, I like the McCoy.  It is not expensive, it holds up well, the knots seem to hold and most importantly, I have confidence in it.  That last part is key.  If you have confidence in your leader, you will feel that it is the best.

One last thing to consider.  The time of the year makes a world of difference when it comes to leader material.  As the water gets colder, the different materials behave differently than they would when the water is warmer.  Also, the fish are a bit more sluggish in the winter than when you are catching a fresh chromer right out of the lake in late October.  Water levels, the bottom structure, the style of fishing,(cechz nymphing vs dead drifting with a float), etc... all play into the differences in success and how well a leader will hold up. 

All of these materials have limits.  If you want to increase your success, change the leaders often.
post edited by Bughawk - 2008/02/14 11:46:05

pax vobiscum +
otwobriefly
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 28
RE: Berkley Vanish 2008/02/14 11:49:54 (permalink)
got to agree with Trout About, use it when it's cold and you'll find out why it's called vanish.
catchinfish
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 351
RE: Berkley Vanish 2008/02/14 12:09:55 (permalink)
I have used Berkely Vanish 4# all season and have had excellent results.  Everyone saying the knot strength is weak is just crazy.  I have caught quite a few steelheads and some nice ones and haven't had even one problem.  The only snaps I had were on snags and one fish I tried to horse in for video purposes.  I have also used the same spool since November and I'm still pulling in steel every weekend.  I think it's more the angler than the line.  I've seen several people trying to horse these fish in.  No wonder people snap their lines.   Use what works for you and don't worry about what other people tell you.  Remember it's opinion not fact! 
Texcobb99
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 451
RE: Berkley Vanish 2008/02/14 12:34:41 (permalink)
I used Vanish one time, it was 20 degrees outside, water temp 34.  Line memory was terrible and had several breakoffs.  I have given up on fluoro for the main line.  I use Trilene Xt 6 lb on the main line (or Siglon F in extreme cold), then frog's hair (flouro) as a leader.

IMO, The brand line is not as big of a concern, as making sure you re-tie often, spool the reel correctly, and change leader periodically.  Keep an eye for line nicks, etc.
troutwizard54
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 268
RE: Berkley Vanish 2008/02/14 13:16:57 (permalink)
anyone ever use gamma fluro?

The wizard
fisherofmen376
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2215
RE: Berkley Vanish 2008/02/14 13:29:28 (permalink)
Regardless of WHAT brand flouro you use, sometimes using flouro instead of mono can make all the difference.  A couple times I have fished 4 lb mono, same technique's, places, lures as someone else with flouro, and I didn't catcha  thing.  Literally the first cast after I tied on some flouro, bang, starting cathin em!  There's something about it that really makes a difference. 

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19
lfosburg
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 57
RE: Berkley Vanish 2008/02/14 15:23:00 (permalink)
man seriously i thought that stuff would be great, i put it on a light quantum spinning reel for trout/panfish and it tangled on every cast.  I had backlash on a spinning reel! anyways i hope you have better luck than i did but if i was you i would put it on a baitcaster, or better yet a spincaster. :)
FisHMaNning
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 35
RE: Berkley Vanish 2008/02/14 20:53:12 (permalink)
I am trying Stren Magnathin this year, I used it on a trip to erie on new years eve, it really aint that bad for the price, I usually use tectan for trout fishing in streams by my house, but it has been known to weaken real fast, but when its fresh its the best line I have ever used, I use 3.3 lb , works amazing when the waters get warm and the fish are selective and have learned their lesson about being caught a time or 2. anyone else using this new magnathin?
loaftech
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 269
RE: Berkley Vanish 2008/02/14 21:25:27 (permalink)
so most of you guys just tie mono to leader with no swivel,  a few trips ago I brought a guy up with me it was his first time he just used regualar 6lb trilene, with no flouro and he fished right beside me and landed lots of fish on jigs on elk, got me wondering if i even need a leader!
Kokanee Killer
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1015
RE: Berkley Vanish 2008/02/14 21:44:12 (permalink)
all have ideas that work for them personally i use strait 4 lb test gamma clear co polymer all the way to jig no leader etc less down time means more time in water and more drifts per day.

I have become comfortably numb
ShutUpNFish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3834
RE: Berkley Vanish 2008/02/14 22:34:18 (permalink)
loaftech,

For the price of the P-Line, I just go ahead and spool my entire spool with it.  The reel spool only takes 150 yds of 6lb test and the spool I buy holds 300 yds.  I prefer using it straight with no swivel, but the last few trips and numerous fish, I had to tie on a swivel to help eliminate some of the twisting.  An inline swivel about 3' up from your presentation helps, but of course as someone stated earlier, the more knots...the more weak spots.  I think any line you use will twist when you get into the number of steelies you can potentially get into on the tribs.  Some lines just tend to twist more than others and it can get quite annoying.  I think you just have to go with the flow and adjust accordingly to what kind of day you're having. 

MuskyMastr
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3032
RE: Berkley Vanish 2008/02/15 01:50:19 (permalink)
I don't fish steelies, but I might come up on the first big run next fall and get as far upstream at ("insert a popular spot I shouldn't mention here") and  then start letting bare line run downstream till my spool is empty to straiten it out..... 

Better too far back, than too far forward.
steelhead4ever
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 129
RE: Berkley Vanish 2008/02/15 13:19:33 (permalink)
DITTO....there are plenty of other choices...Vanish stinks. I have never NOT had a problem when using it.

ORIGINAL: flirod4evr

ORIGINAL: genieman77

ORIGINAL: chromeking13

Anyone have an opinion?

Weak knots, easily abraided, snaps at any point after an hour's use, and is the worst fluoro JUNK I've ever used!!!

other than that it's fine and comes in a pretty, blue box

..L.T.A.

You hit the nail on the head! Have had terrible luck with it and stay away form it.
plnoldrick
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 391
RE: Berkley Vanish 2008/02/15 15:00:03 (permalink)
vanish transition is horrible in a lot of ways. to me its stiff,has very poor knot strength and a royal pain to use on spinning gear. i tried using it for a longest time and i just couldnt take it anymore so i switched. i bought a couple spools of p line halo.....just as bad as the transition but for different reasons. the p line degraded so fast (within a week) that everything broke off. 7" bass were snapping 6 lb line. i went back to using mono after that...i spooled everything up with suffix elite or power pro and said the hell with it. until....

i went to georgia and swung by bass pro shops in atlanta... i took the plunge and bought 2 spools of the new berkley flouro in the gold boxs. WOW is all i have to say. it smokes all the flouro ive used on my rods and on other people rods by a long shot. i put 6lb on my drop shot rod and 8 lb on my shakey-head rod which are both spinning rigs. i just got back from atlanta yesterday and after 6 weekends of using it this is what i found.

1. almost as sensitive as braid. braid still rules supreme but this stuff is pretty dam close
2. not as much line stretch as the 2 other flouros i used for the long term
3. doesnt degrade anywhere near like the halo
4. knot strength is leaps and bounds better then transition
5. as managable as mono on spinning gear, not like most flouros that loop up.
6. not one line twist yet. (good reels play a big part in that though)
7. good abrasion resistance. i had frays from pulling the shakeyhead through stump fields and managed to get all the fish i hooked in.

only downfall is it isnt cheap but most flouros arent and if your a line watcher no transition to help you see it. starting monday i'll be ripping all the line off the reels that currently have mono or flouro and replacing it with this stuff. i wouldnt touch any other berkley line with a 10 foot pole but this stuff is the total opposite. if you hate the line your using right now i would seriously suggest you give it a shot.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: