lost all my crawlers AGAIN!!!!

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
fichy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1896
  • Reward points: 0
Re: lost all my crawlers 2015/06/04 11:27:45 (permalink)
troutbum21
Years ago I used an old wooden milk crate that was heavily lined with newspaper (bottom and sides) and filled with compost and topsoil.  I kept the box in a cool, shaded area with an old window screen for the lid. This simple set up served me well and had I not gotten into fly fishing I would still be using it today.
I traded a spinning rod set up with some worms, shot, swivel and #8/10/12 size Eagle Claw hooks for pricey rods, reels and thousands of $ in fly tying equipment/materials.  I wonder if the trout appreciate my efforts or even care.  LOL 

Although I've fly fished since I was a kid, I used  spinning and bait casting gear until about 30 years ago.  Occasionally, still will and can.  The start of the push was  moving nearer to the Battenkill. I did well with nightcrawlers at night and Rapalas when the water was up, but I started noticing the great fly guys that frequented the river then,  pulling in dozens during hatches. I paid some attention, asked some questions  and learned a bunch. Several of those fellas ashes when into the river. Sometimes flies will absolutely rule, other times the bait guys clean your clock. All in all, it's a fun ride being a fisherman.  It's all in the attitude. I 've had some locals in Tennessee  and NC that were fishing "crick minners" give me some of their favorite, kind of secret spots because I said howdy and stopped to chat. They saw me as a fellow fishermen, not some Yankee A-hole with a fly pole. If the trout don't appreciate your skills, Gerry, some of your fellow fishers, do. You'd do OK anywhere with any kind of gear. The money factor in fly fishing  is by choice and exercising our freedom to do so,  not because we think we're better than other people. And to the boastful  fly fisher who thinks he's spent a bunch- how much do you think it costs for a good offshore boat and tackle?  Answer:   More  than a truckload of Sage fly rods. Guess the guys with boats are all snobs.

Heat was always my worms undoing. I finally kept them in a root cellar, then an old refrigerator. Never had another problem. They thrive in cool soil. I used composted soil   and peat moss .

post edited by fichy - 2015/06/04 12:00:20
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
Re: lost all my crawlers 2015/06/04 12:46:25 (permalink)
fichyAlthough I've fly fished since I was a kid, I used  spinning and bait casting gear until about 30 years ago.  Occasionally, still will and can.  The start of the push was  moving nearer to the Battenkill. I did well with nightcrawlers at night and Rapalas when the water was up, but I started noticing the great fly guys that frequented the river then,  pulling in dozens during hatches. I paid some attention, asked some questions  and learned a bunch. Several of those fellas ashes when into the river. Sometimes flies will absolutely rule, other times the bait guys clean your clock. All in all, it's a fun ride being a fisherman.  It's all in the attitude. I 've had some locals in Tennessee  and NC that were fishing "crick minners" give me some of their favorite, kind of secret spots because I said howdy and stopped to chat. They saw me as a fellow fishermen, not some Yankee A-hole with a fly pole. If the trout don't appreciate your skills, Gerry, some of your fellow fishers, do. You'd do OK anywhere with any kind of gear. The money factor in fly fishing  is by choice and exercising our freedom to do so,  not because we think we're better than other people. And to the boastful  fly fisher who thinks he's spent a bunch- how much do you think it costs for a good offshore boat and tackle?  Answer:   More  than a truckload of Sage fly rods. Guess the guys with boats are all snobs. Heat was always my worms undoing. I finally kept them in a root cellar, then an old refrigerator. Never had another problem. They thrive in cool soil. I used composted soil   and peat moss .

Well said by all :)
I do appreciate all the great info on the fly front and all fishing endeavors . Very honest and helpful information. Myself I grew up with a spin rod and played hard with the fly pole and now mostly stick with hardware . Some of my best fishing times no doubt have been using a fly, rod & reel . In about 90% of my fishing now consists of hardware , the other 10% , aside from salmon river salmon , I admit , I'm much more comfortable and confident with spinning .Again no doubt you guys with feathers & hook could fish circles around me even with my preferred gear.
It's been said many times over by everyone , intent, ethics and having fun pitting man/ woman against the quarry ..

Enjoy the time in the great outdoors and good luck on those darn worms Clint :)

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
troutbum21
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1301
Re: lost all my crawlers 2015/06/04 12:48:30 (permalink)
Don't get me wrong, every dollar invested on fly fishing and the pursuit thereof was well spent.  I just hope when my days are done that my wife doesn't throw decades of work in the dumpster.  I've enjoyed building my own rods, tying my own flies including tweaking patterns made famous by others.  It is definitely a labor of love that I would gladly do over.  I'm thankful that my uncle Pete and my compare Joe (sponsor for confirmation) took the time to take me fishing every Memorial Day weekend up on the Beaverkill and Willowemoc.  I cut my eye teeth on those streams by watching and learning from two great fishermen with different styles.  Pete, a mason by trade with hands like steel, was a wormer and worked a hole hours on end but always produced fish.  On the other hand, Joe was a spin fishermen using little Mepps or Colorado type lures.  He worked the faster water with equal success.  Both are gone  but I could never begin to repay them.  The fly bug didn't hit until I was in my early twenties and it was truly by experimentation that resulted in a new found avenue.  After taking the skunk one morning fishing a spinner rig I decided to experiment.  I had some wet flies in my vest and decided to rework a stretch of water I had just fished.  I cast some line out as best I could from my spinning tackle and stripped the fly through likely holding areas.  In less than a half hour I had brought five fish to net.  The rest is history.  Fishing with night crawlers may have started my journey but I'm thankful it didn't end there. 
Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
Re: lost all my crawlers 2015/06/05 22:18:12 (permalink)
Just  picked up a few (50 or 60) in a thunderstorm. In a small bucket. Will redistribute in smaller containers I earth and grass and put them in the garage fridge.  Am hoping to get out on Oneida tomorrow night. 

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

Lucky13
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1949
Re: lost all my crawlers 2015/06/06 09:02:15 (permalink)
It's supposed to be a beautiful night, clear as a bell.  Good luck on the goggle eyes.
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: lost all my crawlers 2015/06/06 21:07:34 (permalink)
Well my buddy needed it to be an late afternoon thing. We knew the fishing would be poor, but the company was  good. We would of stayed out till around 9 but the waves got real big and for some reason I got sick to my stomach, there has been more than one time I have drank Powerade and then got an upset stomach, but just on the lake.  I learned my lesson today. We got one goby and one nice Pickerel at 26 inches. Was so sick missed a few bites.  we were out by 117 and the wind shifted from north to south to west to east and there were easily 3 foot swells. It was tough getting back in the 14 footer.

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

Lucky13
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1949
Re: lost all my crawlers 2015/06/07 13:06:25 (permalink)
A lot of folks don't realize how rough inland seas like Oneida can get, especially with the west to east fetch and the width of > 2 miles.  Glad to hear you got in.  I was on the big Lake Ontario once about 5 miles out in my friend's 18 foot StarCraft.  It went from glass calm to heavy seas in about 20 minutes. We went down into a trough, and I could see water over head in every direction.  I reached for a life jacket, as he was asking me if I was all right.  I said I was fine, just a  former boy scout, but about a minute later he started picking up the lines.  We crawled back in at very slow speed, riding the swells and steering in the troughs.  I was never happier to see the Genesee! 
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: lost all my crawlers 2015/06/18 21:01:54 (permalink)
Well my garage fridge and smaller containers has worked out. Still have worms from last picking.

hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
Re: lost all my crawlers 2015/06/18 21:31:36 (permalink)
Great news Clint !! Your now a worm farmer too, lol

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
fichy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1896
Re: lost all my crawlers 2015/06/19 05:47:45 (permalink)
Get some bass and walleyes to show us!  Come fall, you may be saying, "I don't need no steenkin' egg sacks..."    I hadn't fished a nightcrawler in longer than I can remember, until taking my friend and his little girl. I still have a 7' Lamiglass ultralight I taught Nancy to fish a clear bobber and nymphs with, and the bass put up a nice fight. I wouldn't mind putting some bait under a float and finding some new seams away from the crowds come Nov.  I may be a snob but I ain't dumb....
post edited by fichy - 2015/06/19 16:23:03
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: