Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
  • Reward points: 0
2015/05/31 18:32:11 (permalink)

lost all my crawlers AGAIN!!!!

So I lost all my crawlers I have Been collecting . They were in my cool basement in a five gallon bucket in bedding. Coffee grounds were added. Lost about 150. What happened?
post edited by Clint S - 2015/06/03 21:07:10

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

39 Replies Related Threads

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    Re: lost all my crawlers 2015/05/31 19:36:43 (permalink)
    When I used to collect and store them we and most others I knew used one of those galvanized wash tubs. It gave lots of surface area for the crawlers.
    Generally we would use topsoil, cut up news paper and a layer of grass on top. We always found them mostly hanging out under the layer of grass.
    The one thing I remember is to check them often for dead worms. If there are dead ones , remove ASAP as it will cause many others very quickly .

PS:
    I think the bucket is not providing enough surface area and they are getting to constricted for that many
    post edited by hot tuna - 2015/05/31 19:38:33

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: lost all my crawlers 2015/05/31 19:56:03 (permalink)
    Next batch will go into one of those large tubs

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: lost all my crawlers 2015/05/31 20:04:24 (permalink)
    Put a screen over the top to keep worms in and critters out

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: lost all my crawlers 2015/05/31 20:17:11 (permalink)
    Just like 'taters', if ya get a bad one it needs tossed.  Also, food source such as ground unsalted crackers or even a piece of stale bread.  Pour the now powered crackers in a line across the surface or just lay the bread on top.  Check every day or so and remove the uneaten portions as it will get moldy.  Feed every couple of days.

Don't forget moisture but do not let the water puddle at the bottom of your container.  Soil, shredded newspapers, and coffee grounds mixed, generally make for great worm bedding.  Paper from magazines etc. is not recommended as is newspapers having other than black ink.()

You will find instructions such as these included in any worm farm.

A ole buddy of mine would gently roll his bucket(s) on edge from time to time claiming the practice aerated the worms.  He also used an old refrigerator laid on it's back (with door removed) to keep crawlers in.
    Dug em up using an old army backpack shovel.   

Paid the neighbor kids a $.75 a doz. when he needed to restock.  

post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2015/05/31 20:18:31

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

troutbum21
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1301
    Re: lost all my crawlers 2015/05/31 20:34:00 (permalink)
    Oatmeal is a good feed & compost for your worm bed also.

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: lost all my crawlers 2015/05/31 20:44:31 (permalink)
    Geeez yeah.......... forgot about oatmeal!

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    Re: lost all my crawlers 2015/05/31 22:34:49 (permalink)
    Clint when you get the bigger tub punch some SMALL holes in the bottom and it will drain,also set the tub on some 2 bys so it can drain easier.
    mr.crappie
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2549
    Re: lost all my crawlers 2015/05/31 23:57:30 (permalink)
    I used a small styrofoam cooler with shredded newspapers as bedding & food. Just keep the paper damp but not soggy. Every few days turn the pile upside down & put it back in the container,the healthy worms will go back to the bottom & the ones that stay on top get tossed. If you use coffee grounds only use a little as I think that they are too acidic & will kill the worms. Try to keep the container in a cool place with a lid on it,I had ants kill a bunch because the worms couldn't get away from them in the cooler. I was surprised at how fat & lively& clean the worms got using this method. If you want to save the leftover worms from a day on the water, be sure to lay them on top & get rid of any that don't look good the next day.  sam
    SaltWaterRocks
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 73
    Re: lost all my crawlers 2015/06/01 12:25:34 (permalink)
    Way back in the day when I was a crawler fishing maniac(and my brother in laws mother owned a bait shop), we used to pick and keep lots of them. The best storage I have ever found are sweater containers(plastic containers with a lid) filled with buss bedding and stored in a basement refrigerator. You can put about 150 crawlers per container and keep them 4-6 weeks. Scale back on numbers if you want to keep them longer. I don't know if they still sell it, but you can buy worm food. It looks like fine sawdust but actually makes your worms hardier and healthier. It will also allow you to keep them much, much longer. When we would go off to camp, we had a hole dug in,our crawl space with a 5 gallon storage tote filled with buss bedding buried in it. Cheap free refrigeration. I know they will last all summer in there. Keep the lid on. In both cases, the lids need to have a few air holes in them.
    ZelieSam
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 727
    Re: lost all my crawlers 2015/06/01 12:45:35 (permalink)
    Never had good luck keeping them long term.  Used to catch them growing up and keep them in an old cooler full of bedding.  Feed them or not, varying wetness and coldness.  Recently I made a fancy worm box out of two plastic containers.  Drill a bunch of small holes so the water and worm poo can filter out the bottom.  Cant keep works in it, and when they do stay in it they die.  And I did all the right stuff (that I know of).  I de-chlorinated the water for the bedding, only fed the recommended foods, etc.  

For as much as redworms and crawlers cost at the bait store, I say F it.  I'll buy them and keep them in the fridge a week or two at a time.  
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: lost all my crawlers 2015/06/01 23:26:55 (permalink)
    Well just got about 40 and surprising with all the rain they were not out that thick tonight. I changed to the large storage tub so will see. The package of bedding said 50 worms pound,  So I used the whole 2#. I am guessing before I had too many in the bucket with not enough bedding. At over $4 per 20 I will pick a few to pay for gas. I must be getting old because I miss way mere than I get.

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: lost all my crawlers 2015/06/02 00:30:42 (permalink)
    Clint S
    I must be getting old because I miss way mere than I get.

Lmao, pretty much why I pay the $4.00 to take the grandson :) My eyesight ain't worth a darn anymore and the back ain't what it used to be.
    I will say that back in the day , I would do a good 8-10 dozen on good spring nights . A few of those and myself , dad and great uncle were set for the ausable . Local fishing was mostly carp . Worms were handy.
    Heck , when we took the 4 year old grandson out striper fishing aboard the Daisy and caught nothing , he said " pop pop, you didn't bring any worms, that's why we ain't catching anything " geesh , I wont forget next time :)

Good luck with the worm farm Clint and hope they get chewed up from fish !!
    post edited by hot tuna - 2015/06/02 00:32:03

fichy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1896
    Re: lost all my crawlers 2015/06/02 06:25:02 (permalink)
    HT, I bet that giant lawn next door to you  was a nitecrawler gold mine. For the first time in a long while, I have to buy some for this weekend.  Or maybe I'll try out the red light on my headlamp. A friend's little girl  has been begging me to take her fishing, so I've arranged a canoe/picnic/fishing  family venture at a lake with a bunch of big 'gills. I bought her a Zebco 202 package. I had a laundry tub with crawlers when I was growing up; it's amazing how  many big trout and bass have been caught on lowly worms by little kids. And ones not so little.
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: lost all my crawlers 2015/06/02 07:03:40 (permalink)
    Charlie I was quite disappointed at the red lamp and even the head lamp for worming.  I can't see with the red one and when I wear it on my head the light was never where I want it. RJ as far as the back, I pay for it too, but I find it worth the challenge as it keeps me mobile.

Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1949
    Re: lost all my crawlers 2015/06/02 07:48:25 (permalink)
    Strap a tin can full of sawdust to your ankle and dip your picking hand every couple of worms, and you'll lose a lot less.  Headlamp on bright beam but with a single thickness of paper towel pulled over the light and secured with a rubber band will cut the brightness but still leave enough illumination.  Tricks of the trade from a former Pro ($12.00 a thousand was the going rate when this "activity" paid the rent.)  I get a back ache every time I eat Strawberries, which I alos picjked for a living, not going to find out about effects fro worms!!
    Fichy, for kids and bluegills and worms, a worm threader helps with the constant rebaiting, or , what I loved with my kids, a piece of worm on an ice fishing jig.  The ' gills will go after this bait as readily as a whole worm, but rarely get the jig past the mouth, so very few gut hooks and "motor boaters."  More bait time in the water means happier kids, less messing around with gut hooked dinky gills means happier adult mentor!  Happy, Happy, Happy!

Major life lesson- You can take a kid fishing or you can go fishing, but you can't do both, at leats until the kid learns their own improved clinch knot tying!
    post edited by Lucky13 - 2015/06/02 07:49:38
    Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    Re: lost all my crawlers 2015/06/02 07:52:00 (permalink)
    Sorry about crummy typing, but the edit function and quick reply are not working for me today.  May have to log off and back on, but work interferes now. 
    troutbum21
    Pro Angler
    Re: lost all my crawlers 2015/06/02 08:59:19 (permalink)
    I'm almost tempted to hit the fairways at a local golf course to try my luck.  A empty coffee can, good flashlight, quick hands and some patience did the trick many moons ago.  I used to be able to pick dozens in no time.  Oh how I miss the old days when life seemed to be so simple.  lol  
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: lost all my crawlers 2015/06/02 09:42:53 (permalink)
    Good deal Charlie,
    As L-13 said, last year we (adults) slammed some fat gills with a noodle rod, ice jig and gulp waxies.. A good back up to using worms as they don't get stolen or hooked badly as easy..
    Have fun fellas, I'm hoping the Ausable drops a bunch as it was near 10,000 last night which is FLOOD stage !!! She is down around 4,900 now and fingers crossed ..

pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    Re: lost all my crawlers 2015/06/02 10:58:15 (permalink)
    Reading this thread brings back memories from when I was a youngster picking worms for our fishing trips.Your right on troutbum,life was simpler and happier back then.
    troutbum21
    Pro Angler
    Re: lost all my crawlers 2015/06/02 11:27:45 (permalink)
    HT- As you well know the Ausable is one of those rivers that drains and recovers quickly from heavy rain.  This is due most likely to the topography and gradient of the river.  This weather is supposed to move out today and I think you'll be greeted with perfect conditions by the weekend.  I wish I could join you.  Have fun and post pictures.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: lost all my crawlers 2015/06/02 11:50:52 (permalink)
    Yes it does Gerry.. I hope the steady drop continues, 2,000 is fishable.
    1-woodchuck down, 3 to go,, pa POW !!

fichy
    Pro Angler
    Re: lost all my crawlers 2015/06/02 17:34:41 (permalink)
    Good luck, up there HT. Lucky, I 've taught many kids, some of them handicapped. I never even attempt to fish unless it's getting desperate, then I hook a few to reel in. This is a double whammy. My friend is suffering from severe PTSD issues having been blown up in the sand pile in a Humvee that wasn't up-armored. He watched 2 buddies vaporize and  he lost 80 percent of his hearing. He's a phenomenal guitar player, too.  He's finally trying to give up the self medicating and agreeing to talk and get some help. It'll be good to get him focused on something outside and fun, as he's coming out of his skin. I'd do anything for him, he sure as hell did for us.  I'll say this, the VA in Albany is pretty underfunded and FUBAR.
    Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    Re: lost all my crawlers 2015/06/03 07:25:11 (permalink)
    VA is in that shape everywhere, my son in GA is dealing with muscle and bone damage issues, and associated pain, and gets little help at all.  Your friend sounds like a perfect fit for the Wounded Warrior program. Please extend my gratitude to him for his service.  
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: lost all my crawlers 2015/06/03 21:06:32 (permalink)
    Well there must have been something in the old bedding because I lost the 40 I got the other night. I had 100% picked every worm (half alive and dead) out of the old bedding and added a whole bag of new stuff.  Some were not dead yet, but they were on their way. I just ditched it all. I think I will start keeping them in small containers in my garage fridge
    post edited by Clint S - 2015/06/03 21:09:49

fichy
    Pro Angler
    Re: lost all my crawlers 2015/06/03 21:27:51 (permalink)
    That garage fridge should work great, Clint.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: lost all my crawlers 2015/06/03 21:32:29 (permalink)
    I would ditch the bedding stuff and use DIRT, leaves , some shredded newspaper and a layer of grass on top

Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    Re: lost all my crawlers 2015/06/04 07:09:38 (permalink)
    HT is on it.  The bedding is generally leftover paper pulping residue and every now and then something nasty goes out with it.  I tried it for a Styrofoam cooler set up and lost everything one year, went back to soil, humic material like leaf litter and cut grass for green food for them.  Since finally discovering that pond brookies do eat flies two years ago, I have only killed a couple of crawlers, however, so I just drop a few bucks if I decide to carry a dozen or two. 
    troutbum21
    Pro Angler
    Re: lost all my crawlers 2015/06/04 10:12:09 (permalink)
    Years ago I used an old wooden milk crate that was heavily lined with newspaper (bottom and sides) and filled with compost and topsoil.  I kept the box in a cool, shaded area with an old window screen for the lid. This simple set up served me well and had I not gotten into fly fishing I would still be using it today.
    I traded a spinning rod set up with some worms, shot, swivel and #8/10/12 size Eagle Claw hooks for pricey rods, reels and thousands of $ in fly tying equipment/materials.  I wonder if the trout appreciate my efforts or even care.  LOL 
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: lost all my crawlers 2015/06/04 10:35:03 (permalink)
    http://www.thewormfarm.net/shopcontent.asp?type=FAQ

Yep...... one can even find internet info on "Raising Crawlers".

http://www.thewormfarm.net/TWF_do_it_yourself_wormbin.pdf

Who Knew? 

Looks simple enough to build and it's recommended by those who know.

Excuse me........  i gotta go get a few things.
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2015/06/04 10:45:44

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: