LUNAR ECLIPSE

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4417
  • Reward points: 0
Re: LUNAR ECLIPSE 2014/10/11 21:04:21 (permalink)
or today's (Sat.) big buck kill story..  from Friday hunt.......

trail camera had buck coming into food plot at same place and time for a week now at 4:15pm.... he put his girlfriend in the stand or blind at 4pm and she shot the 10 pointer at 4:13pm.....

posted, food plots, 24 trail cameras, 500+ acres.... even use their own DMAPs for killing does.....

now that's what I call hunting and deserves all my admiration    ... NOT  .... 

Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
Re: LUNAR ECLIPSE 2014/10/11 21:06:15 (permalink)
what's your guess on the one in the picture  above ???

I know I'd be shaking aiming at that one ... LOL
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
Re: LUNAR ECLIPSE 2014/10/11 21:08:14 (permalink)
BeenThereDoneThat.
If I wanted a big Iowa buck I would hunt Iowa. I just want to hunt my home state of PA and do not need to kill a trophy buck so I can strut my stuff. Apparently the PGC feels that 'all' PA. hunters have big egos who must fill their urge to kill (my bad) 'harvest' a heavy antlered whitetail.

Why are the trophy hunters always besmerched.
You have absolutely know idea what their reason for only shooting trophy bucks.
You say it is nothing but ego...BS...
For some it might be but not all. 
Many hunters including myself just want to kill a bigger buck than we have previously.
What the hell is wrong with chasing deer like this. These are from my trailcams.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

S-10
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5185
Re: LUNAR ECLIPSE 2014/10/11 21:13:24 (permalink)
Can I come hunt with you Bings?
S-10
Pro Angler
Re: LUNAR ECLIPSE 2014/10/11 21:16:45 (permalink)
Doc, I don't like to guess from photos. a lot depends on the angle the pic is taken, background, it is a heart pounder here in Pa..
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
Re: LUNAR ECLIPSE 2014/10/11 21:28:39 (permalink)
I'd say there is not a thing wrong about hunting or killing bucks like that..

now sorry---  but if they are shot on land open to only a few hunters... it's not such a big thing to me....

on public land open to all .. then I would definitely show the hunter how great I thought that kill was .....

If I had several thousand dollars to spend I could get deer like that at any reserve ...  again not such a big thing with me... especially all those GREAT trophy hunters on TV ....  

If I had several hundred acres with food plots and no one but my few besties and I could hunt there in a few years we could probably get deer like that too ....

I guess the size of antlers have NEVER been a big thing to me.. course I hunt public land only .. sure I was happy as pie last year getting my biggest antlered buck to date .. but if It would have been the first legal buck (which it was) and only a "scrub" 6 pointer I'd be just as  happy  ... a deer is a deer, and ends up as venison in the freezer to me...

but again to each his own ...
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
Re: LUNAR ECLIPSE 2014/10/11 21:30:34 (permalink)
S-10 .. the standing photo really does show just how HIGH that rack is though ... but maybe that is not important in scoring ???
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: LUNAR ECLIPSE 2014/10/11 21:48:50 (permalink)
I'll stand corrected Doc; what is the reason for antler restrictions in PA? Also, why the need for different restrictions in certain WMUs? If you don't mind; why the need for different WMUs?

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

S-10
Pro Angler
Re: LUNAR ECLIPSE 2014/10/11 21:54:24 (permalink)
I'am not a qualified scorer and have only had my hands on a few truly big bucks  mostly killed by my relations so am not really an expert In scoring. It is high and appears to be fairly even so should easily net score P&Y.  The 6 bucks I've seen so far, when added together should make one side.
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
Re: LUNAR ECLIPSE 2014/10/11 21:55:17 (permalink)
Those questions have been debated on these board for about 8 years now .....

and there has never been 100% agreement on any of those.... 

use the search engine and you'll find hundreds of replies/topics on those questions...

It's become a "beating a dead horse" topic for many of us ..........
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
Re: LUNAR ECLIPSE 2014/10/11 22:08:46 (permalink)
All those bucks I posted Doc were on land open to the public except one. It was on posted ground.
And to be honest posters don't mean a hell of alot here in amish country...

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: LUNAR ECLIPSE 2014/10/11 22:23:36 (permalink)
Uh-oh........ I stepped on some egos. There's absolutly nothing wrong with a hunter 'harvesting' a whitetail deer having heavy mast antlers. There's certainly nothing wrong with that hunter boasting and showing his/her pride having 'harvested' such a animal. Nor, is there anything wrong with a hunter wanting to better their trophy buck year after year.

And there sure as hell is nothing wrong with the average Joe who wishes to go out and just 'harvest' a buck because he/she is a proud hunter and, could care less about antler mass or, lots of antler points. So tell me; why the need for antler restrictions and why do they vary across the state?

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
Re: LUNAR ECLIPSE 2014/10/11 22:35:19 (permalink)
here's the problem... all you will get here is OPINIONS  and DEBATE ...... there's a side that believes the PGC and a side that doesn't ....

why do they vary ... your question.. well let's ask those that put them in place.....

Why have three- and four-point areas?
Different areas of Pennsylvania produce larger bucks at younger ages than others. Using antler point data collected from more than 71,000 bucks, we assigned three- and four-point restrictions to different areas based on antler characteristics. The objectives of these restrictions is to protect about half of the yearling bucks from harvest and make most adult bucks legal for harvest.
Throughout most of the state, a three-points to a side restriction satisfies the objectives of the new antler restriction. In western Pennsylvania, a three-points to a side restriction would protect less than a third of all yearling bucks, whereas a four-points to a side restriction protects more than half of all yearling bucks. A similar situation occurred in some southeastern counties of Pennsylvania, but a three-points to a side restriction was implemented in this area based on social concerns related to high human densities and deer-human conflicts.

so there is the answer... plus the majority of Pa hunters like them ....

now all you will get is opinions.. and everyone knows mine ...
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: LUNAR ECLIPSE 2014/10/11 22:58:58 (permalink)
BeenThereDoneThat.
If I wanted a big Iowa buck I would hunt Iowa. I just want to hunt my home state of PA and do not need to kill a trophy buck so I can strut my stuff. Apparently the PGC feels that 'all' PA. hunters have big egos who must fill their urge to kill (my bad) 'harvest' a heavy antlered whitetail.

And this is mine.......

Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
Re: LUNAR ECLIPSE 2014/10/12 09:16:29 (permalink)
here's where I come from on ARs....

personally ... for my OWN purpose .... I would rather not have them .. then I would have a better chance of harvesting a Pa buck every year... that said ... I still manager at least one deer for 30 years now... so venison is my reason for hunting deer.. not bragging rights or quality of the deer, or size of the rack.

but by allowing buck to live another year does 2 things .. one it makes them harder to hunt the following year, which is good for the "SPORT" of deer hunting and it does allow for those that do worry about rack size some better opportunities at more larger racked Pa buck than most of us grew up hunting...

so I can live with them.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: