Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
BIG WAGS
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 334
  • Reward points: 0
2014/10/06 21:02:09 (permalink)

LUNAR ECLIPSE

October 8th there is a full lunar eclipse. What are the thoughts of what it will do to the rut, if any.

I put 3 hours in the ladder stand this morning and had one 4 point walk thru. He was licking trees and smacking the trees with his bone white stix.
Hoping for more traffic tomorrow. trail camera failed got "0" pictures this past week.

44 Replies Related Threads

S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    Re: LUNAR ECLIPSE 2014/10/06 22:08:08 (permalink)
    Probably nothing. It takes more than one odd  day to alter a yearly trend. You always see some early activity about now but not much happens for a couple  more weeks
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: LUNAR ECLIPSE 2014/10/06 22:27:06 (permalink)
    Generally speaking a full moon signifys the beginning/start of an event/season. This full moon is not only the hunters moon it is the blood moon.

D^mned if I know what that means....... just thought I'd mention it.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

BIG WAGS
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 334
    Re: LUNAR ECLIPSE 2014/10/06 22:39:27 (permalink)
    Iv'e read several articles stating they rut is activated by this full moon, and that the deer use the xtra light to do their courting and boinking.

workcanwait....
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 729
    Re: LUNAR ECLIPSE 2014/10/06 22:55:48 (permalink)
    Not sure about the moon stuff I feel it has a lot more to do with weather.
    I have noticed more pics of bucks this year on cams,but I have put in a good plot and stayed out of core staging/bedding area more this year.
    Usually starts in a week or 2 here been hunting this property since 2005,but I got pics of 2 shooters(by my standards) in sept.
    I like to hunt more the last few weeks but last year 2 BIG bucks were taken on neighboring properties in the 3rd week of archery- heard of 2 others 1 last week of archery and 1- 1st day of firearms.
    I am using my cams to keep me informed and would not be surprised to see early activity this year just a hunch...WCW

Eman89so
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1806
    Re: LUNAR ECLIPSE 2014/10/06 23:18:42 (permalink)
    I think it will be back to a normal pattern.. halloween kicks it off
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: LUNAR ECLIPSE 2014/10/06 23:45:12 (permalink)
    Haven't seen the bucks in a group nor have I seen the same bucks that were here a month ago. Saw some rubs while still hunting Sat. but, no scrapes.
    All signs of the pre-rut firing up.

As to the moon being full or, even a blood moon, kicking the rut into full swing will remain to be seen.

I don't rattle antlers but, if ever there was the right time, that time would be now.

Great idea, WCW, to keep the antlers close to the ground.

As for grunting; I certainly do that every morning when, I'm handed my honeydo list.

Remember when your in the stand to wear the safety gear. Never forget, it ain't the fall that hurts you.......................

It's the sudden stop!!

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4011
    Re: LUNAR ECLIPSE 2014/10/08 12:38:20 (permalink)
    Just wish I could get time to get out in the woods.  Soccer practice tonight, football tomorrow.  Soccer and football games on Saturday..
    Might use a couple hrs vacation to hunt tomorrow AM and Friday AM.
    Good luck fellas.

PS - woke the kids up around 6 this AM to view the eclipse.  They got a kick out of it. 

Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    Re: LUNAR ECLIPSE 2014/10/08 12:53:51 (permalink)
    When you look at published data for mean fawn conception times in PA, its evident that moon phases have very little, if anything to do with the timing of the rut.  With that said, my experiences have proven that moon phases can impact deer movement and I tend to see much less movement in the mornings with a full moon. 

For me personally, I won't get too excited until we get into the later part of October.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: LUNAR ECLIPSE 2014/10/08 13:02:02 (permalink)
    Do you find deer feeding earlier in the day when the moon is in the sky during daylight hours; regardless of the moon size?

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: LUNAR ECLIPSE 2014/10/08 13:22:06 (permalink)
    eyesandgillz
    Just wish I could get time to get out in the woods.  Soccer practice tonight, football tomorrow.  Soccer and football games on Saturday..Might use a couple hrs vacation to hunt tomorrow AM and Friday AM.Good luck fellas. PS - woke the kids up around 6 this AM to view the eclipse.  They got a kick out of it.  

Feel your pain; as the name implies BTDT. Been years ago but, can remember sitting in the bleachers thinking of being in my boat or tree stand. Now I sit in my boat and/or tree stand recalling those days of watching my son and daughter growing up. Now that I look back, I'm glad I sat at those courts and fields cause it was no time at all before the kids were grown and on their own. Sure is quiet in the house these days, think I'll go sit in my stand and reminisce.

pheasant tail 2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 401
    Re: LUNAR ECLIPSE 2014/10/08 22:17:35 (permalink)
    Well said BTDT. The stage in my life of sitting in bleachers, coaching, shuttling to and fro practices, etc. is nearing its end. Like you, many days I longed to be in woods, on the water or had time to keep beagles. 

PT2
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    Re: LUNAR ECLIPSE 2014/10/09 08:36:51 (permalink)
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Do you find deer feeding earlier in the day when the moon is in the sky during daylight hours; regardless of the moon size?

I've never really seen a strong correlation myself, but I know many guys who swear by mid-day hunts when the moon is out.

The good thing about this moon is that I shouldn't need a flashlight to get into my stand tomorrow morning  
    Eman89so
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1806
    Re: LUNAR ECLIPSE 2014/10/09 10:41:31 (permalink)
    Buddy got a real big 9 this.morning.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    Re: LUNAR ECLIPSE 2014/10/09 14:29:22 (permalink)
    I saw nothing this morning before 9 but caught a small buck making a scrape at 11 this morning while checking for scrapes.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: LUNAR ECLIPSE 2014/10/09 15:52:05 (permalink)
    Ditto on the saw nothing. Saw one rub myself but, no scrapes.

Hunting north central 1-A right now. Be interesting to hear what's happening, rut wise, in other sections of the great state of PA. Home of the future trophy 'deer mecca' of America.

Sorry............ got a little excited..... don't-cha know!!

Saw a brief report on another post about 2-B producing some wall hangers. Fact or fiction; I don't know, that remains 2-B seen........ sorry........ (snicker).

Keep the reports coming folks.

I gotta go......

workcanwait....
    Expert Angler
    Re: LUNAR ECLIPSE 2014/10/09 22:55:13 (permalink)
    BTDT-"the great state of PA. Home of the future trophy 'deer mecca' of America."

BTDT-1 shot legit and 1 poached this week PA has big bucks!!!
    Check out huntingpa.com go to  trailcam  fourm .
    You live in PA I think but just can not help but to put down its hunting.
    Not trying to but heads just saying enjoy what is available...WCW

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: LUNAR ECLIPSE 2014/10/10 01:33:47 (permalink)
    Always been big bucks in PA...... Way before antler restrictions...

One only needed to attend the outdoor sports shops running buck pools or taxidermy shops; to see what was roaming the hills, valleys, woods and, fields of the great state of PA. You suprise me; being a business man and, your unaware of the new industry overtaking PA. Not me trying to make PA. anymore then it ever was.

Just a quick question regarding the size of PA. and the ease at which photographs can be posted on web sights. Just two pictures of nice racks?

Son, I posted a picture of three (3) nice bucks, in my back yard alone, on this board early this year.

Appreciate you not wanting to butt heads. Hunt Safely......

workcanwait....
    Expert Angler
    Re: LUNAR ECLIPSE 2014/10/10 07:38:35 (permalink)
    BTDT-I think there are more big bucks around than there used to be but maybe its just in certain areas.
    I have relatives in NEPA they struggle to see deer at all nowadays.
    There are more than 2 pics out there but I get your point.
    Have a good one.
    WCW
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    Re: LUNAR ECLIPSE 2014/10/10 10:07:58 (permalink)
    There are a few more good bucks around than before 2000 because of AR, more landowners posting as a result of herd reduction, hunters leasing and controlling the kill, the food plot industry, etc. ALL of this would have happened without herd reduction. There are not near as many as some think but it looks that way because the percentage of older bucks in a smaller herd is greater. Remember we had over 20% of a 200,000 kill that were 2yo or older before HR. We now have under 50% of a 120,000 kill that are 2yo or older. 

Think of what we would have had were it not for herd reduction and if Alt would have just removed 100,000 doe from the herd to make room for the extra 100,000 bucks AR was going to save like he told us he was going to do.

Of my top ten PA bucks 8 are still prior to AR.

The last I added them all up in 2012, the year "BEFORE" the start of AR/HR was still the all time high for both buck kill and bucks making the Pa record book. Not bad for all the starving runts the PGC said we had.
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4893
    Re: LUNAR ECLIPSE 2014/10/11 07:40:28 (permalink)
    PA has "nice" bucks, not big ones, sorry. The company I work for has locations in Iowa and the bucks we drool over in PA they embarrassingly show and describe as "last day desperation" and "management" bucks.

I agree with S-10, there were plenty of "nice " (big, whatever) before AR/HR. I have yet to harvest (kill, whatever) a buck as big or bigger than any of the AR defined legal bucks that I did before AR/HR.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    Re: LUNAR ECLIPSE 2014/10/11 12:47:43 (permalink)
    There is no doubt Iowa puts out some great bucks and PA doesn't come close to comparing, but there is a very simple reason as to why the disparity is so great.  That being Iowa has around 4 hunters per square mile and PA has closer to 20 per square mile.  Environmental factors will prevent PA from ever being a top giant buck producer, but if hunter density drastically decreased there is little doubt that PA would be putting out more B&C bucks. 

Also, don't think for a second that Iowa (or any other state for that matter) doesn't kill small (young) bucks.  40-50% of Iowa's antlered harvest is comprised of yearling bucks.  I think being from PA you're much more likely to only see the big deer killed in Iowa. 

S-10
    Pro Angler
    Re: LUNAR ECLIPSE 2014/10/11 14:14:35 (permalink)
    Said to be a buck taken In Pa the same year they started Antler Restriction because we didn't have any good bucks. I don't know the hunter so cannot verify it . 

post edited by S-10 - 2014/10/11 14:39:00
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    Re: LUNAR ECLIPSE 2014/10/11 14:22:21 (permalink)
    And then there are 8 points in other states.

S-10
    Pro Angler
    Re: LUNAR ECLIPSE 2014/10/11 15:01:58 (permalink)
    In the Pa big game records book 1965-1969 there were are least two 8 points entered that I have a photo of. One was taken in Chester county and scored 141 and the other taken in 1953 and scored 159+.  The largest buck I have ever seen on the hoof was before AR/HR. Of course I must have been drunk because the PGC said they were all starving scrubs before they came to the rescue.  On a lighter note I just passed 35 hours on stand in 8 locations during prime time and have seen a spike, a 3 point, a 4 point, and a 5 point.  Must be I am going to see four jumbos tonight as the PGC says only half of the bucks are young. Can't wait.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: LUNAR ECLIPSE 2014/10/11 18:20:57 (permalink)
    Never needed the internet or antler restriction to see wall hangers killed (sorry) harvested in PA. Visits to local sporting stores revealed pictures of nice deer. Especially the stores and/or clubs running buck pools. I seem to recall being told by the educators from the PGC that, antlers were results of diet and the right minerals.. But, that was back in the day when the PGC concentrated on education and enforcement. Come to think of it; that's when local sporting stores existed too. Imagine that!!

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: LUNAR ECLIPSE 2014/10/11 18:43:50 (permalink)
    If I wanted a big Iowa buck I would hunt Iowa. I just want to hunt my home state of PA and do not need to kill a trophy buck so I can strut my stuff. Apparently the PGC feels that 'all' PA. hunters have big egos who must fill their urge to kill (my bad) 'harvest' a heavy antlered whitetail.

Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    Re: LUNAR ECLIPSE 2014/10/11 20:36:16 (permalink)
    I totally DIS-agree with BTDT's above post .

I am sure that the PGC knows that the majority of Pa buck hunters want to kill a buck ...period... a legal buck  ...

I know S-10 and Dars have killed big bucks before, but the average guy even back when there was "big" bucks hunted public lands ... Private property IMHO always draws the "trophy hunters"  and I just would LOVE to know how many of those trophy bucks  in the books) were killed on private, posted ground....

I know local guys that kill record book bucks for the past 4 years of working at the hardware and seen the bucks... they could care less about record books.. they just like the bragging rights of their trophy kills on their private, posted, food plotted, and patrolled grounds...

those kills mean nothing to me and I do little in the way of congratulations other than to say .. "nice deer".....

sorry I take what I can get on my SGL and state forests..
    and besides I don't eat the antlers and would not want to put one in any record book....

in fact I doubt there would be 2 out of a hundred hunters (I know) that could tell you a single thing about any record book entries ... first, last, biggest, smallest .. NOTHING ...

heck I have never even seen one of the record books nor would I know where to go to see one ...   or even the difference between a 120 or a 180 score and have no desire to even know how to score... but to each his own ...........
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    Re: LUNAR ECLIPSE 2014/10/11 20:48:53 (permalink)
    here's an example of one of those Brockway "big bucks" for this year already ....

(Private Posted Property no permission given to others with food plots)

#1 food plot .. one of many , including ones in velvet....

#2 one dead buck  ...

S-10
    Pro Angler
    Re: LUNAR ECLIPSE 2014/10/11 20:53:43 (permalink)
    Easy to tell the difference between a 120 and 180 Doc, If you see a 120 you will shake so hard you will drop the bow. If you see a 180 you will have another heart attack.  They don't eat nearly as well as a young doe either. That's the price you pay for hunting antlers.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: