Cast Nets

Author
Walleyeman360
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 63
  • Reward points: 0
2008/01/01 11:58:15 (permalink)

Cast Nets

I think it is bull $hit that you are not allowed to use a cast net in the commonwealth, they had to put a special section in the new rule book this year just well i think because ive written to them soooo may times. Now i have to get a permit and it is just on several lakes in the state. i only have a 4 foot net and in the summer time the gizzard shad r the ONLY thing u are going to catch anything on. Peroid

any body else got anything to say about the new section on cast/throw nets

21 Replies Related Threads

jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: Cast Nets 2008/01/19 12:18:55 (permalink)
    Id say they did it to prevent shops from catching them to make money. How much is the permit?

crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3352
    RE: Cast Nets 2008/01/20 12:35:04 (permalink)
      The permit has been around for a few years. You can download it off the pa fish com. website. They added a few more waters to the list last year & are $10 each, you are allowed to keep 100 gizzard shad / alewive combinde instead of 50 with the permit.

If you need alwives they have been dying off by the 1,000's the last two weeks at arthur, the gizzard shad will die off next. The gamefish have been feedind on em purdy good on the wind blown areas.
    Dream Catcher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1567
    RE: Cast Nets 2008/01/21 13:38:02 (permalink)
    If you are as cheap as I am cut it down . When you say a four foot cast net it's radius is actually 8ft however ; if you cut it down & restring it to a 48" radius or smaller you do not need a permit . I've been cutting them down for the last four years . I take about an hour to customize a net. I've yet to find a 2ft net which would be 4 ft radius for sale you must cut em . The smallest I've seen is a 3 ft which is 6ft radius. I can use mine anywhere where as if you get a permit I'm pretty sure its only good for a specified body of water IE Lake Arther , Pymy , ect.  
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8508
    RE: Cast Nets 2008/01/22 09:11:11 (permalink)
    Never tried to cut them down. That sounds like a real pain. Do you use nylon or mono nets? I have a 10 ft. that I used in Texas and thought about doing that to it. Afraid of totally ruining it.

Dream Catcher
    Pro Angler
    RE: Cast Nets 2008/01/22 09:41:28 (permalink)
    I use mono nets . Usually buy the 3 ft circumference ( 6ft radius) and take 2 ft off . It sort of is a pain but if you tie good knots its actually more durable when your done . I love mine ; I can throw it 30ft to catch alewives being its only 4 ft . I've seen the 6fters at sportsmans warehouse for 14.99 bought one on sale last year for $12.00 .
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Cast Nets 2008/01/22 18:35:20 (permalink)
    DC,

Circumference is the distance around a circle, and diameter is the distance ACROSS a circle. Radius is 1/2 of the diameter. An 8ft, diameter net, has a 4 ft. radius. Without the permit, you may have a 4 ft. diameter net, which would have a 2 ft. radius.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    Dream Catcher
    Pro Angler
    RE: Cast Nets 2008/01/23 08:42:39 (permalink)
    Thanks for clearing up my incorrect terminology . Thats what I meant just stated it incorrectly.
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9692
    RE: Cast Nets 2008/05/12 14:07:40 (permalink)
    I know this is an old post, but back into the season for them.  I have been under the same impression as most of you on this, but what 360 said, sounds like even the 48" ones are not legal any more.  It looks like you are not allowed to use them at all on the rivers?  That would suck....  The 48"ers suck anyway, I also cut mine down a few years back to make legal.  I think I might have to suck it up and get a permit and 10'er.  If so, I am keeping 100 combined, every time I use it, and freezing bait.

Here's what the man has in his books.

CAST/THROW NET PERMIT

The Pennsylvania Fish & Boat Commission issues permits for use of cast nets or throw nets for taking gizzard shad 8 inches or less in length and alewife only in waters determined by the executive director. The executive director has determined that the Commission will issue cast net or throw net permits only for the waterways listed below. A separate permit is required for each area. (Net permit application)

County
    Water Area

Berks
    Blue Marsh Lake

Bucks
    Nockamixon Lake

Carbon
    Beltsville Lake

Huntingdon
    Raystown Lake

Wayne/Pike
    Lake Wallenpaupack

Butler
    Lake Arthur

Mercer
    Shenango Lake

The use of a cast net or throw net in any other Commonwealth waters is a violation of the Fish and Boat Code and is punishable by a fine and may result in the loss of fishing privileges. Cast nets or throw nets shall not exceed 10 feet in radius or 20 feet in diameter and possess a mesh size of at least 3/8-inch. The holder of the cast net or throw net permit may take, catch, kill or possess a daily creel limit of 100 gizzard shad and alewife (combined species). The holder of the permit shall carry the permit on his/her person while using the net or while possessing more than 50 gizzard shad or alewife (combined species). The permit shall be available for inspection by a waterways conservation officer.
    It is unlawful to:

• use a cast net or throw net in the waterways listed above without the required permit;
  • use a cast net or throw net in any other Commonwealth waters except those listed above;
  • use a cast net or throw net to take, catch, kill or possess any fish species except gizzard shad 8 inches or less in length and alewife;
  • use gizzard shad or alewife taken under the required permit as live bait in any water other than the water from which it was taken;
  • use a cast net/throw net without possessing a valid fishing license.
    Dream Catcher
    Pro Angler
    RE: Cast Nets 2008/05/12 14:30:32 (permalink)

As stated in the bait section of the 2008 regulations . You are permitted under 4 feet in diameter ; as spoon clearified that is a two foot radius net that I have never found to be sold you have to cut a bigger one down. Again I refuse to pay if I can cut mine down. You can catch more in your large nets but need a good bottom to do so ; with my 44" net I can cast in rocky areas without damaging my net also I double the wieghts up to get a faster sink rate that makes catching alewives easier. So either has it's advantages . I enjoy catching bait while I fish so it works for me and I save $10.00 .

From PA Fish & Boat Commission Website under bait.

TAKING AND KEEPING BAIT is permitted using rod and reel or handline, dip net, or minnow seine not over 4 feet square in diameter, or a minnow trap with no more than two openings that shall not exceed 1 inch in diameter. All devices must be under the immediate control of the person using them. Unattended minnow traps or baitfish containers left in Commonwealth waters must be identified with the owner’s or user’s name, address, and telephone number. If fishing in a group and the total number of fishbait or baitfish taken exceeds the possession limit (50), separate containers must be provided for the fishbait and baitfish. Total possession limit in any one container may not exceed 50 baitfish or fishbait combined.
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    RE: Cast Nets 2008/05/12 15:18:21 (permalink)
    DC -

I hear you on saving $10.  As I do not want to pay for the permit every year either, yet $50 for a new larger net.  I am going to have to stop a WCO the next time I see one, and get their thoughts on it.  

I could see this new section in the regulations, specific designation for cast nets, over riding the bait taking rules (especially in court).  Since it does not say cast net in the bait taking section, but yet has other nets listed. 

I think it would be a bunch of crap if they had a problem with the smaller nets.  I'd rather not have to take a day off of work to go to court, to fight a $100 fine though.  It really sucks that they have it written, that they are not permitted on any other water than what is listed as well. 

I'd imagine that you and I aren't the only ones casting without permits.  Although, I think we are in the minority of those casting under 4' diameter nets though...

Good luck to you,
    PT 
    saltflyfisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 565
    RE: Cast Nets 2008/05/12 15:39:31 (permalink)
    Something to keep in mind w/ a cast net: mesh size, to large and your gill the bait and kill it. Weight of net, you need to have something w/ 1 lb per ft or better to sink quick.

W/ the smaller mesh size the net will sink slower and so to compensate go to the heavier net.

Check out nylonnet.com for good pricing on nets.
    Calusa has a video on their web to show you how to throw a net. Practice in your yard.

To catch bait can you use a sabaki rig? Its a string on small hooks w/ flash added on a single overall line.
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    RE: Cast Nets 2008/05/12 16:43:22 (permalink)
    salty-

I am pretty sure the gizzard shad and alewives are plankton/algae eaters, most are only 3" or so too.

Do you know what the regulations on the coast are?  If I get one, I'd likely use it from NY to NC as well.  I'll hit up all of their state sites for regs.  If you happen to know any off hand, I'd appreciate it.
    saltflyfisher
    Expert Angler
    RE: Cast Nets 2008/05/12 17:02:40 (permalink)
    If your talking NY salt, thats all you see today is cast nets. It's a way to fill the bait tank fast and get to fishing.

Another way to catch the adult bunker is w/ the lg snagging trebles. You'll snag them and let them swim.

This time of the yr is the large bunker that run around 1-2lbs. W/ the net you get 40-50 very quick. later we'll get the young of the yr, peanuts and these are 3-4 inch fish. W/ the net it's not uncommon to net 500 fish.

The peanuts are fun to set up on a piece of structure, toss a couple out to see what's below and see what shows. We normally only toss out a few at a time, you don't want to feed them but keep them at the boat for the hooked baits.
    ORIGINAL: Porktown

salty-

I am pretty sure the gizzard shad and alewives are plankton/algae eaters, most are only 3" or so too.

Do you know what the regulations on the coast are?  If I get one, I'd likely use it from NY to NC as well.  I'll hit up all of their state sites for regs.  If you happen to know any off hand, I'd appreciate it.
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    RE: Cast Nets 2008/05/12 18:28:18 (permalink)
    Do you need a permit in the tidal waters?  I make it out to LI a bit for work.  Usually fly when I am out there though, but some times tie my trips into some NJ trips and pack the gear.  I've read some reports that the stripers are making their way up the coast now.  Asseteaque seems to be where many are right now.  I'll have to strum up some business in NJ and give that a shot soon. 
    2dog
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 468
    RE: Cast Nets 2008/05/12 20:30:01 (permalink)

I know this is an old post, but back into the season for them.  I have been under the same impression as most of you on this, but what 360 said, sounds like even the 48" ones are not legal any more.  It looks like you are not allowed to use them at all on the rivers?  That would suck....  The 48"ers suck anyway, I also cut mine down a few years back to make legal.  I think I might have to suck it up and get a permit and 10'er.  If so, I am keeping 100 combined, every time I use it, and freezing bait.

Here's what the man has in his books.

CAST/THROW NET PERMIT

The Pennsylvania Fish & Boat Commission issues permits for use of cast nets or throw nets for taking gizzard shad 8 inches or less in length and alewife only in waters determined by the executive director. The executive director has determined that the Commission will issue cast net or throw net permits only for the waterways listed below. A separate permit is required for each area. (Net permit application)

County
    Water Area

Berks
    Blue Marsh Lake

Bucks
    Nockamixon Lake

Carbon
    Beltsville Lake

Huntingdon
    Raystown Lake

Wayne/Pike
    Lake Wallenpaupack

Butler
    Lake Arthur

Mercer
    Shenango Lake

The use of a cast net or throw net in any other Commonwealth waters is a violation of the Fish and Boat Code and is punishable by a fine and may result in the loss of fishing privileges. Cast nets or throw nets shall not exceed 10 feet in radius or 20 feet in diameter and possess a mesh size of at least 3/8-inch. The holder of the cast net or throw net permit may take, catch, kill or possess a daily creel limit of 100 gizzard shad and alewife (combined species). The holder of the permit shall carry the permit on his/her person while using the net or while possessing more than 50 gizzard shad or alewife (combined species). The permit shall be available for inspection by a waterways conservation officer.
    It is unlawful to:
  • use a cast net or throw net in the waterways listed above without the required permit;
  • use a cast net or throw net in any other Commonwealth waters except those listed above;
  • use a cast net or throw net to take, catch, kill or possess any fish species except gizzard shad 8 inches or less in length and alewife;
  • use gizzard shad or alewife taken under the required permit as live bait in any water other than the water from which it was taken;
  • use a cast net/throw net without possessing a valid fishing license.

•  
      The way I understand this is;
      The net can be up to 20 feet in diameter and possess a mesh size of at least 3/8-inch.
      You need a permit to use a cast net in the above mentioned bodies of waters.
      Each body of water needs its own permit.
      The use of a cast net or throw net in any other Commonwealth waters is a violation of the Fish and Boat Code and is punishable by a fine and may result in the loss of fishing privileges.

saltflyfisher
      Expert Angler
      RE: Cast Nets 2008/05/12 21:01:02 (permalink)
      Not familiar w/ the upper end of the Hudson and what may be considered its boundries of tidal flow. But along the coast there are no permits needed to use a net. If your going to cast from shore your better off w/ the weighted treble approach. The schools of bunker tend to be out of reach most of the time from cast netting from shore. You can carry 2 different rods, one w/ the treble and another w/ size 6/0 circle hooks. Snag a bunker and if you like you can transfer it to the circle hook rod or fish it as is. Tuck the other rod in your back waist line. Use 50 or 60 lb floro. leader, these is also good for bite tippets for the blues. A lot of fisherman are going to the use of braid, w/ a top shot of floro. leader of 10ft.

Yes the stripers are starting to make a strong showing, normally mothers day is the start and from there it builds till july 4th, before becoming a night time event. I'll be dropping my boat off at the marina on fri.for the season and taking it out for the day. We going to have some chance of showers w/ light winds, so the fishing should be good w/ overcast skies. Striper fishing is a snottier the better for the type of days to fish. I've had days in the fog where the stripers stayed around the boat for the complete tide. You'd drop the bait in and it didn't last 2 mins. I let you know how it goes.

Next week or two the ocean going blues will make their showing and really tear things up. The blues range in size up to 12 lbs and coming fresh out of the ocean and beautiful in color w/ their blues and greens. They are nice a slim eating machines, just tearing the heck out of the bunker schools. W/ that the stripers and weakfish hang below to pick the scraps.

Do you need a permit in the tidal waters?  I make it out to LI a bit for work.  Usually fly when I am out there though, but some times tie my trips into some NJ trips and pack the gear.  I've read some reports that the stripers are making their way up the coast now.  Asseteaque seems to be where many are right now.  I'll have to strum up some business in NJ and give that a shot soon. 
      Porktown
      Pro Angler
      RE: Cast Nets 2008/05/13 11:30:16 (permalink)
      FYI -I talked to the PFBC over the phone, and they said that as long as it is under 4' diameter, you are fine.  Not sure if my phone call will hold up in court, but would imagine the WCOs might cut some slack.

What DC was saying about getting caught on rocks and such is true.  Before I cut mine down, when I used it in VA for herring, I would always get caught on rocks.  It would be nice having one of those 20' diameter ones.  Being able to cast 5 times, instead of spending half of my time catching bait would be nice.  Although, I do enjoy catching bait if the fishing is slow.  Not sure if I want to drop $70 on a net and permit...  I already bought a motor with my, "please vote Republican" check.
      spoonchucker
      Pro Angler
      • Total Posts : 8561
      RE: Cast Nets 2008/05/14 10:36:04 (permalink)
      Alewives work very well, and to each their own, but most nights I'll be fighting fish, while you're chasing bait.

You may be ALLOWED 100 combined ( Alewife,Gizzard ), but unless you have a LARGE, well aerated tank, you will have a hard time keeping more than a dozen or so.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
      Dream Catcher
      Pro Angler
      RE: Cast Nets 2008/05/14 11:12:24 (permalink)
      Porktawn,
                   Thanks for making that call ; I atleast won't worry as much . I was just using the cast net a few hours ago LOL ... Crappiefisher landed a hefty channel cat attached to an X-mas tree , 2 stripes and I landed 4 average stripes . Nice cool night with a few shooting stars worth going just for the sky show... 

Spoon ,
                  I take two 5 gallon buckets that each get a dozen alewives and a bubble box I use occasionally ; especially as water gets warmer they require more oxygen. Goodluck this season & hope to see you all on the water - DC
      Dream Catcher
      Pro Angler
      RE: Cast Nets 2008/05/15 09:35:27 (permalink)
      Oh yeah ; I can catch 50 before midnight / donate them to my buddies & catch 50 after midnight for myself in all legality  .... LOL Usually only need 12-25 lively ones for a nights fishing anyway ... If you need more than that Sheesh what a night.
      crappiefisher
      Pro Angler
      • Total Posts : 3352
      RE: Cast Nets 2008/05/15 10:10:05 (permalink)
        DC,

you're a purdy good net thrower at that . Don't like usein' Alewives very often for Byrds but only had two wacks on top water lures until my stubberness gave in. This mornin' 1-8 am. Crick Darters did the trick on some huge 15 - 17" slabs that Matt put me on. I'll use the 2 handle nets most times without a prob. for catchin' catfish bait out of Arthur. I'm in chest waders all the time so it's no big deal for me.

No stars out last night  & my arm still hurts from that cat. Gotta do it again soon.

Crappy
      Jump to: