Snagging Technique

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
cbeagler
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1811
  • Reward points: 0
Re:Snagging Technique 2012/09/30 14:54:12 (permalink)
I used to snag suckers in the spring to render down for coon bait in the fall.  My friend Randy and I would go down to the Walnut Creek railroad tubes. The hole was a lot bigger and deeper back then. Even now if you look up at the top of the eastern tube you may see the remnants of a rope that we used to swing on, and we would jump off the top of the tube into the water. They have since extended the bottom of the tube so I would not recommend that.

Anyway, we would snag suckers with a big white rooster tail. There were so many of them that they would swim in a big circle-a sucker whirlpool the whole way around the hole. I would cast the rooster tail to one end of the pool than reel in real fast and let it drop in among the suckers and then give it a rip.  On one cast, I started to reel in fast when this funny looking chrome thing shot up out of the depths and grabbed my lure! That was my first experience with a spring run steelhead. Legally caught, landed, and he is still mounted on my wall 30 years later.
slabdaddy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1780
Re:Snagging Technique 2012/09/30 19:17:05 (permalink)
That's a really cool story Cbeagler. Thanks for sharing! How late in the spring was it? I bet that was a heck of a suprise!

“If you're in trouble, or hurt or in need - go to the poor people. They're the only ones that'll help - the only ones.”
John Steinbeck, The Grapes of Wrath
cbeagler
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1811
Re:Snagging Technique 2012/10/01 10:48:32 (permalink)
I am thinking it was in late April. Back then you were not supposed to be on the streams before the opening day of trout.  I have the date on the picture if I can find it.  My pap paid to have it mounted for me at Kunkles on Brown Ave.
slabdaddy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1780
Re:Snagging Technique 2012/10/01 21:52:46 (permalink)
That's awesome that you call your Grandpa your Pap. My family does the same. Few people do. Seeing the word, "Pap" gave me a real good feeling. Great story. My Pap was a great man too. I'm glad you have that fish to look at to help remind you of your Pap. Awesome.
Chris Johnson
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 321
Re:Snagging Technique 2012/10/05 16:18:26 (permalink)
My daughter snagged a beer can through the pull tab once.  She said "it's not really fighting, but heavy."

As kids we would go to the foot of East Ave and snag mooneyes all day long.

A gentleman is someone who can play the accordion, but doesn't.
~Tom Waits

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: