Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
slabdaddy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1780
  • Reward points: 0
2012/09/21 11:53:38 (permalink)

Snagging Technique

I've been reading a lot of posts about snagging lately. I've been informed that "flossing" is a legal way to snag. I've been told that a hook anywhere forward of the dorsal fin is a fair hook. So, since so many people on here seem to be experts in snagging, let's talk about your favorite snagging technique. I know, I know. It's like talking about an illegitimate son or a sibling that shoots heroin. It's embarrassing. No one wants to admit that they are a snAgGr. It's a dirty word. So what? Talk about tying a bead a couple inches above a bare hook. Talk about using 1" jigs in tribs. Talk about little cleos. Let's hear those snagging stories.

“If you're in trouble, or hurt or in need - go to the poor people. They're the only ones that'll help - the only ones.”
John Steinbeck, The Grapes of Wrath

34 Replies Related Threads

TheBlueLagoon
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 802
    Re:Snagging Technique 2012/09/21 12:32:45 (permalink)
    I don't have a specific snagging technique lol, as you're suggesting but I was smallmouth fishing last weekend throwing rubber worms, I casted out to the shore took a few reels and let the bait drop off the rock ledge where it was almost immediately struck by a smallie. So I set the hook and the fight ensued, Upon him surfacing i realized he was hooked in the side. I stood there in shock wondering how the *@&*@ this happend. 

Let's hear one of yours SLAB

Got Walleye???
    slabdaddy
    Pro Angler
    Re:Snagging Technique 2012/09/21 13:24:15 (permalink)
    TheBlueLagoon

Let's hear one of yours SLAB

Ok, so there I was, fishing with my girlfriend (now my wife) in the early spring. I was using worms and big sinkers, fishing off of the bottom. When I turned my attention away from the beautiful woman on the blanket beside me to the rod that was propped up on a "Y" stick, I saw that it was bouncing pretty hard. I grabbed the rod, set the hook, and... SNAG. I was stuck on the bottom. I started to jerk the rod up and down, side to side, all to no avail. My sinker must have gotten snagged on a rock. "Oh well, looks like I'll have to break it" I said to the red-haired princess at my side. I jerked up on the rod one last time and felt the sinker come loose. One the way up though, it felt like I got a hit. Sure enough, that little Zebco 33 started giving up line. "It's a big one! Must be a carp or a big catfish!" I excitedly exclaimed to the freckled, elfin beauty. After a few minutes and much excitement, I brought my fish to the surface. I was suprised to see a 28" red-tailed sucker. I was even more suprised to see the hook buried in its rectum... The sweet-faced seraph beside me recoiled in horror as I awkwardly but quickly removed the hook, even as the fish poop and blood covered my fingers.

We hung around and fished for a while afterward, but even though I washed my hands in the creek, she wouldn't let me touch her until we got home and found some soap.

“If you're in trouble, or hurt or in need - go to the poor people. They're the only ones that'll help - the only ones.”
    slabdaddy
    Pro Angler
    Re:Snagging Technique 2012/09/21 13:38:14 (permalink)
    That was 12 years ago, BTW.
    TheBlueLagoon
    Expert Angler
    Re:Snagging Technique 2012/09/21 13:40:04 (permalink)
    HAHAHAHA! good story

Got Walleye???
    slabdaddy
    Pro Angler
    Re:Snagging Technique 2012/09/21 13:48:50 (permalink)
    What's the strangest thing you've ever snagged? When i was a kid, I drew back to cast and snagged my sister in the lip.
    TheBlueLagoon
    Expert Angler
    Re:Snagging Technique 2012/09/21 14:09:21 (permalink)
    When I was a kid we used to make grappling hooks out thick steel wire and attach em' to a long rope 100' or so and head down South 18th Street in the SS and try to snag anything we could off the bottom of the river from the boat docks, back then the dock stretched a ways out into the river.
    except fish, we left the carp and catfish to our ugly sticks.

So we would launch this out into the river and see what we coulcome up with, that summer we pulled out bicycles,giant logs covered in fishing lures/tackle, ect....But my best SNAG ever that summer was the Ugly Stick with a Giant Carp on it had lost a few days beforehand. I couldn't believe it when I pulled the rope in and I saw my rod with the fish still attached to the other end.

Fun Times

Got Walleye???
    slabdaddy
    Pro Angler
    Re:Snagging Technique 2012/09/21 14:21:31 (permalink)
    Duud. That's awesome! LOL! No telling what you could hook onto in a river like that. I was just waiting for you to tell me that you snagged into a dead body and dragged it ashore! LOL

I'm sure someone on this site has a "snagged a dead body" story.
    TheBlueLagoon
    Expert Angler
    Re:Snagging Technique 2012/09/21 14:31:02 (permalink)
    Somebody has got to have a dead body story... ANYONE??? ....recently a body was found around the 10th street bridge and days before that a buddy of mine and I were fishing in that exact area with the boat, and actually joked about what if we hooked into a dead body!....then a few days later that story came out, I immediately texted him the story and we both just about shat our pants.  I've caught some extrodinary sh*t out of these 3 rivers but never a corpse...i hope it stays that way.
    post edited by TheBlueLagoon - 2012/09/21 14:36:50

Got Walleye???
    slabdaddy
    Pro Angler
    Re:Snagging Technique 2012/09/21 14:46:02 (permalink)
    TheBlueLagoon

Somebody has got to have a dead body story... ANYONE??? ....recently a body was found around the 10th street bridge and days before that a buddy of mine and I were fishing in that exact area with the boat, and actually joked about what if we hooked into a dead body!....then a few days later that story came out, I immediately texted him the story and we both just about shat our pants.  I've caught some extrodinary sh*t out of these 3 rivers but never a corpse...i hope it stays that way.

There has to be lots of them in there. Just sayin'...
    That's so nasty though. I can't imagine draggin a corpse up to the boat. What do you do when you get it to the boat and figure out what it is? "Get the net!" LOL! Seriously though, no one is gonna drag that into their boat. Better hope you have a cell phone.

Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    Re:Snagging Technique 2012/09/22 08:23:06 (permalink)
    I'm not a bit embarrassed to admit I'm a snagr. Everyone jokes about it...it aint that easy. Doing it by accident on a pile of fish...easy. Picking a fish from the pod, and saying..."I'm gonna rip that one"....way difficult.

I like to drift a spoon, in the current, if front of the fishes face...as soon as his mouth opens....I slide that spoon in and stab him. Usually I have him top dead center of the mouth.

I've given my friends snagging lessons...serious.

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    slabdaddy
    Pro Angler
    Re:Snagging Technique 2012/09/22 09:55:08 (permalink)
    Mr.Slickfish

I'm not a bit embarrassed to admit I'm a snagr. Everyone jokes about it...it aint that easy. Doing it by accident on a pile of fish...easy. Picking a fish from the pod, and saying..."I'm gonna rip that one"....way difficult.

I like to drift a spoon, in the current, if front of the fishes face...as soon as his mouth opens....I slide that spoon in and stab him. Usually I have him top dead center of the mouth.

I've given my friends snagging lessons...serious.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure everyone does it on purpose now and again. It doesn't even suprise me that you were the first one with the balz to admit it! LOL! Sounds like a good technique. I'd like to see it done sometime.

Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    Re:Snagging Technique 2012/09/22 10:06:27 (permalink)
    I give lessons at Cascade every Sunday morning October through February.

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    slabdaddy
    Pro Angler
    Re:Snagging Technique 2012/09/22 11:38:27 (permalink)
    I am going to make it a point to fish with you at least once this year. Deetz highly recommends your company. LOL! You remind me of my friend Drew. You two are so much alike that you will either get along famously or hate eachother. Two of the wittiest guys I know.
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    Re:Snagging Technique 2012/09/22 14:20:46 (permalink)
    Mr.Slickfish

I give lessons at Cascade every Sunday morning October through February.

He is a very good teacher....

Thank You, Oh Master of the Snag.....

When we were teenagers on the first day of trout we got bored catching trout. This was back in the 70's when they dumped in way to many fish. So we went to trying to snag the big suckers that were in the creek. Had this old duffer stand there and watch us for about 15 minutes. When we finally hooked one he came walking over and proceeded to show us his Fish Cop badge....OOOOOppps.

He was actually pretty cool about the whole thing he had us dead to rights for snagging but just gave us a good azz chewing and didn't cite us. He said since we were only snagging suckers he would let us off with just a warning.....

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

slabdaddy
    Pro Angler
    Re:Snagging Technique 2012/09/22 15:24:59 (permalink)
    That's what I hate about those guys. He could have just told you to stop before you snagged one. If he really cared about the fish, he would have prevented it instead of waiting for you to snag one and then chewing you out. At least he didn't cite you.
    bigbear2010
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 859
    Re:Snagging Technique 2012/09/27 11:41:08 (permalink)
    in erie anyone with a cast master can snag....just run it through the pile enough times
    or put a thingamabob 8 feet up your fly line from your small black fly and run it through
    alittle different up in ny where you can only use a single hook
    there you have the pinch point guys who will wait to see a fish come through and aim for the front end and jerk
    those who fish the redds who will rig it so the line parrallels the bottom about 8 inches up and then cast right on top of the hens to snag the males and trout behind
    those who will "swing" the flies while lifting
    the spey guys who swing through the whole hole in one suppersnagger motion
    the ones who use the bright colored flies or spounge , sit it on the bottom and watch for a fish to pass over
    and finally those who get those spots that hold a couple fish in the slack water behind rocks and drop in and rip
    i prefer to actually fish for my fish
    but i am a good observer

ps, yes i have intentionally snagged a fish....the shop i work at part time had a kids trout derby in the water feature, there were 6 trout left and the cities permit ran out at midnight meaning the shop would be fined for having them there...the boss and three others had spent the day throwing all manner of bait at them...when i came to work at 6 i asked what was going on, they explained and i got my fly rod out of the truck and had them all in a bucket within 10 minutes.......like i said, i observe and learn
    slabdaddy
    Pro Angler
    Re:Snagging Technique 2012/09/27 12:06:57 (permalink)
    Wow Bear, sounds like  you fish by a lot of snagGrz. LOL! I have never heard of some of those techniques. Gonna have to try them...

Any funny stories about accidental snagging?

bigbear2010
    Expert Angler
    Re:Snagging Technique 2012/09/27 12:18:13 (permalink)
    i accidentally snagged a guy who decided to wade into the middle of the hole i was fishing...just broke him off
    oh yea and the time i snagged my own ear fly fishing salmon...nice ear ring
    slabdaddy
    Pro Angler
    Re:Snagging Technique 2012/09/27 12:36:18 (permalink)
    HAHAHA! I bet he had the nerve to get mad at you too. Did you do it on purpose? Wouldn't blame you if you did. Hope you put a nice hole in his waters.

You got your own ear? Duud. That sux. Did it go the whole way through or did you have to push it through so that you could snap off the barb? I had a guy up at Elk last year smack me in the face pretty hard with his fly rod. He finished his drift and just yanked back without looking. I was walking behind him to get downstream. Hurt like a mutha. Left a big welt on my face. If he hadn't been so apologetic, I might have lost my temper... No matter what, you should always look behind you before you yank back on a big arse fly rod.

slabdaddy
    Pro Angler
    Re:Snagging Technique 2012/09/27 12:37:30 (permalink)
    I know you said "accidentally" but... LOL!
    fishinpreacher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 322
    Re:Snagging Technique 2012/09/27 12:47:10 (permalink)
    My Grandmother snagged my uncle in the eye lid with a big old Rappla while pike fishing once. I wasn't there but I'll bet that hurt.

My 5 yr old son hooked me in the butt once, he fell down laughing, and I'm pretty sure it was the highlight of his day!
    bigbear2010
    Expert Angler
    Re:Snagging Technique 2012/09/27 12:48:33 (permalink)
    i got him good, size 2 bait hook in the back of the leg...through the waders :)

got me good too, whole way through and i had to pull it out with forcepts....windy day
    slabdaddy
    Pro Angler
    Re:Snagging Technique 2012/09/27 14:34:31 (permalink)
    fishinpreacher

My Grandmother snagged my uncle in the eye lid with a big old Rappla while pike fishing once. I wasn't there but I'll bet that hurt.
    I can't imagine...Ugh! I bet she was sick. That was her boy. I bet it hurt her worse than it hurt him. Thank God it didn't take his eye out.

My 5 yr old son hooked me in the butt once, he fell down laughing, and I'm pretty sure it was the highlight of his day!

Oh, I bet he laughed! My boys would do the same! A hook in the butt would be a real pain in the **** to get out by yourself. (pun definitely intended)

slabdaddy
    Pro Angler
    Re:Snagging Technique 2012/09/27 14:36:49 (permalink)
    bigbear2010

i got him good, size 2 bait hook in the back of the leg...through the waders :)
    Attaboy! An you busted it off? That's awesome! HAHAHAHA!

got me good too, whole way through and i had to pull it out with forcepts....windy day

I've seen pics of people with fly hooks in their eyes. Glad it was your ear.

bigbear2010
    Expert Angler
    Re:Snagging Technique 2012/09/27 14:59:34 (permalink)
    yea windy day, wind was blowing toward my right side, on the forecast i felt the line behind my ear a split second before the fly bit....glad i wasn't chuck and ducking with a bunch of split shot

lol, yea if someone wades to where i'm fishing i will give them a chance to move, then i start fishing for them ;)
    slabdaddy
    Pro Angler
    Re:Snagging Technique 2012/09/27 19:41:03 (permalink)
    I don't blame you. It's ignorant to wade in front of someone like that. So, did the guy want to fight you or what? Any drama involved? If I'd have been watching from the bank, I would have gotten a good laugh at this one. Duud was probably mad even though it was his fault.
    bigbear2010
    Expert Angler
    Re:Snagging Technique 2012/09/27 21:27:12 (permalink)
    he was angry, but i'm a rather large guy...he just left while blablablaing

i actually thought it was funny sh1t
    slabdaddy
    Pro Angler
    Re:Snagging Technique 2012/09/28 06:01:24 (permalink)
    That's beautiful! HAHAHA! Good for the idiot.

I was on a 15ft Sea Nymph with two of my friends when I was about 17. My one buddy snagged my other buddy in the face with a J-9 Silver Rapala. 2 sets of trebs in the sideburns. It was one of the sickest, yet funniest things I have ever seen. He wouldn't let anyone help him. He insisted on yanking the hooks out himself. The pliers slipped off of the hook at least twice before the first set of hooks came out. He got the second set out on the first try though. LOL! He bled like a stuck hog. My other buddy kept telling him to be careful so he didn't bend the hooks on his lure! LOL! Good times.

slabdaddy
    Pro Angler
    Re:Snagging Technique 2012/09/28 19:09:00 (permalink)
    HAHAHA! Do tell!
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: